Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
If you want to make Ignis and Prompto a lot less death-prone for the first half of the game, you can run to Longwythe right at the start of the chapter 1 and play pinball to get a plat bangle for both of them. You can also get Noctis a magic accessory that you won't find a better version of until the final two dungeons of the postgame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

melodicwaffle posted:

I'm not usually the kind of person who prefers Japanese audio unless it's a really dire case, but I also get a little nervous when going into a dub with actors I've never heard of. I'm really glad I stuck with English for this one because Ray Chase is phenomenal and the recent Kingdom Hearts game proves it wasn't a fluke, he is genuinely quite good.

I also enjoy watching Ardyn's voice actor talk about how much he absolutely adores his role in interviews :kimchi: A lot of people factor in his performance for why they hated chapter 13 so much but for me it was what made me able to put up with it.

Chase as Master of Masters is fantastic yeah. I hope he becomes a staple VA for SE games

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Ahaha so i don't know if it's because i was spamming one technique over and over but Noctis went "Ignis!...Wait i mean Prompto!" when i tried to do Piercer and it took him a bit to actually do it because he was confused.

This game :allears:

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Are the treasure points a static reward? Are there certain ones I should go after early on for decent upgrades?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The JP voice acting is superb.
I've not played through in English but I've enjoyed what I've heard of Ray Chase's performance and I loathe dubs usually, so I'd consider that as great praise as you can get from me regarding his performance.

I don't know what Prompto's EN voice is like at all but his JP one is fine. It has the emotional reach required when it's needed. Ignis' JP voice is good. I don't like his EN voice outside because going what is essentially "RP" English to make someone sound collected and dignified is lazy. It doubles up as cringey as an English person too. Can't stand it in anything and FFXV is no exception.

Gladio's EN voice from what I've experience is dogturd sandwich with zero nuance, which is untrue of the JP one.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
I think I have burned more Phoenix Downs in that one room in Costlemark with the galvanades and Yojimbo than anywhere else in this game. especially since you have to do it twice if you want to do the hunt.

e: I don't get why people are taping their sticks down to get Gladio's skill to level 10. I'm almost there and I'm not even halfway through the menace dungeons. do people just not walk/take chocobos anywhere the whole game?

morallyobjected fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Feb 1, 2017

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Kingtheninja posted:

Are the treasure points a static reward? Are there certain ones I should go after early on for decent upgrades?

I think the red ones with map markers are, and some blue unmarked ones are as well.

There's one in the semi-enclosed area west of the Three Valleys parking spot that will always give you a Blade of Brennaere, which is a good early upgraded greatsword that does fire damage. There's also one just west of Hammerhead that will always give you a Megaelixer, so when you occasionally return to Hammerhead (it takes 2 days for spots to respawn) it's not a bad idea to take the time to start building your stock for the late game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

morallyobjected posted:

I think I have burned more Phoenix Downs in that one room in Costlemark with the galvanades and Yojimbo than anywhere else in this game. especially since you have to do it twice if you want to do the hunt.

e: I don't get why people are taping their sticks down to get Gladio's skill to level 10. I'm almost there and I'm not even halfway through the menace dungeons. do people just not walk/take chocobos anywhere the whole game?

Why would you not take a chocobo everywhere when presented with the opportunity?

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Why would you not take a chocobo everywhere when presented with the opportunity?

I can't wait for the meta-game of in-world chocobo races. we all must post our fastest times from the Vesperpool to Galdin Quay.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
I just did Formouth Garrison in the post game, why was that not the intro to stealth levels? It was so much easier to stealth then any other fort

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Does fishing improve if I level up? So far I just throw in random lures and wait in the orange zones but I never get many fish. Yes, I've looked at guides but it's pretty boring waiting 5 min each time and I'd been expecting it to be similar to FFXIV.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Alder posted:

Does fishing improve if I level up? So far I just throw in random lures and wait in the orange zones but I never get many fish. Yes, I've looked at guides but it's pretty boring waiting 5 min each time and I'd been expecting it to be similar to FFXIV.

If you don't immediately get that bite interest-o-meter you threw the wrong lure.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Saint Freak posted:

If you don't immediately get that bite interest-o-meter you threw the wrong lure.

this, but also as you level up, some of the abilities you get make it so fish are more likely to bite

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Yeah, if there is no red meter after the lure hits the water i just reel in right away and throw it back in. If this continues, change lures.
Think of it sort of like fly-fishing.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
if you're at non-wilderness fishing spots, there are also often signs around that tell you what fish are there so you can plan your lures accordingly

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Am I supposed to be really broke all the time? I'm in the middle of the game but so far I have nothing to sell. I could do hunts but I hate I doing them individually and driving back. I've kept most mats since I heard I'll need them later.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Alder posted:

Am I supposed to be really broke all the time? I'm in the middle of the game but so far I have nothing to sell. I could do hunts but I hate I doing them individually and driving back. I've kept most mats since I heard I'll need them later.

Hunts are a pretty good source of money. But if you want to be loaded. you can do the 10K pinball machine game in altissa. get 99 treasurers and sell the item for 500K I think?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Pretty much meant to be poor, but there's also little to do with money outside of MP3s and sleeping in the 3x exp room

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Feb 2, 2017

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Alder posted:

Once you've bought the weapons from hunter HQ there's nothing left to spend your gil on except for the 2x and 3x hotel rooms and huge doses of curatives as spell reagents. You'll end up rich just because you have nothing to buy.

Shazaminator
Oct 11, 2007
The power of Shazam compels you!

Alder posted:

Do the photography quests for Vyv. They're simple, relatively fast, most can be done without combat and they give you rapidly escalating payouts.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

http://gematsu.com/2017/02/final-fantasy-xv-ps4-pro-60-fps-update-launches-february-21-chapter-13-update-march-28

February 21

PS4 Pro Full HD 60 fps support – Not always 60 frames per second, but a maximum 60 frames per second.
Limited time quests – Quests that you can only take on for a limited time. This time it’s Hunts, but in the future there will be different quests such as fishing.
Level cap raised to 120 – Your experience points won’t count towards past level 99 until after the update, meaning you can’t start stocking up experience points before the update.
Photo capacity increased from 150 to 200.
Use the music player while riding a Chocobo.

March 28
Chapter 13 – Enhancements to the final stages of the game, including Chapter 13. You’ll also be able to play as Gladiolus for a short period. (Not sure if this means the DLC)

Hit the link for more details.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

They are also planning on adding a way to off-road with the car, for those who didn't click the link.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Demicol posted:

They are also planning on adding a way to off-road with the car, for those who didn't click the link.

off-road will require you to hit a 2-button combination to switch to off-road tires. The game will now let you try to drive off-road without them, but if you don't put them on your car bursts into flames and game-overs you upon going off-road.

Please look forward to it!

e: if 2 shrubs with a visible gap between the few branches is enough to make your chocobo pull a 180 and have to go around I can't wait to see how the off-road driving handles

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The video shows it in action. It's barely functional, but Tabata also says that he knows that's the case and they're basically treating it as a "we'll put it in if we get it working" thing rather than something they're actively putting in as a highlight feature going forward.

That screen shot is when they end the segment because it got stuck on a rock and couldn't get off.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
5/5 forsentai outfits 2016 GOTY

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Demicol posted:

I never knew how much I want the gang to be driving around in a lifted Monte Carlo until now.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I'm happy they patched in the chocobo MP3 player. Now they just need to make it possible to delete individual saves. I have a bunch of saves and they take up so much space I can't upload them. It's crazy you can only delete all or none.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Renoistic posted:

I'm happy they patched in the chocobo MP3 player. Now they just need to make it possible to delete individual saves. I have a bunch of saves and they take up so much space I can't upload them. It's crazy you can only delete all or none.

why do you have a bunch?

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

morallyobjected posted:

why do you have a bunch?

I've always kept saves throughout long games if I ever would like to do a part over without playing through the whole game again. Still, even if I only kept my active save, the cleared game save, and a new game+ save they would still take up ridiculous amounts of space. Anyway, to me there's no excuse for a game to have multiple save slots with no means of deleting them individually. I have contacted S-E about it and they wrote a ticket so we'll see. I could save them on a USB stick as a last resort, but then I would have no way of starting a NG+ without copying them back to the PS4 again. It's pretty ridiculous.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Feb 2, 2017

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Renoistic posted:

I've always kept saves throughout long games if I ever would like to do a part over without playing through the whole game again. Still, even if I only kept my active save, the cleared game save, and a new game+ save they would still take up ridiculous amounts of space. Anyway, to me there's no excuse for a game to have multiple save slots with no means of deleting them individually. I have contacted S-E about it and they wrote a ticket so we'll see. I could save them on a USB stick as a last resort, but then I would have no way of starting a NG+ without copying them back to the PS4 again. It's pretty ridiculous.

oh, it's definitely ridiculous--I was just curious.

the ticket you get by pre-ordering that saves you half on all hotels is pretty handy for the room in Leville. not that I'm really hurting for gil but every little bit saved is good in my book, especially since I've not maxed out my healing items.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

For fans of Cup of Noodle: JPN only

https://store.nissin.com/jp/feature/finalfantasy30th/

I'm on CH10 Ignis...I can't believe he kept following you even after the injury. I tried telling him to stay behind and recover and it made all the photos incredibly depressing. Also, I'm glitching out when I need to warp b/t the flying ships which is causing Noct to fall to his death over and over.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Alder posted:

For fans of Cup of Noodle: JPN only

https://store.nissin.com/jp/feature/finalfantasy30th/

I'm on CH10 Ignis...I can't believe he kept following you even after the injury. I tried telling him to stay behind and recover and it made all the photos incredibly depressing. Also, I'm glitching out when I need to warp b/t the flying ships which is causing Noct to fall to his death over and over.

that part is definitely a little finicky sometimes. honestly, everything about the atmosphere and story of the second half of the game for me was pretty awesome and I loved it

also I really wish someone could wield that in the game

morallyobjected fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Feb 3, 2017

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
While I appreciate that they are treating FFXV like their baby and trying to come up with new features like off roading, it really feels like it's too little too late, unless there's some significant map updates where you might wanna take your car for a spin.

There's no way I'm doing those utterly pointless sidequests again. Even if I'm going to replay the game at some point

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Feb 3, 2017

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Josuke Higashikata posted:

March 28
Chapter 13 – Enhancements to the final stages of the game, including Chapter 13.

I stopped playing a few weeks ago to wait for this, so it sucks that it's still going to be another two months. By then I'll be deep into Breath of the Wild and looking forward to Persona 5 and Nier Automata, hope I can still find time to come back and finish this.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Doesn't take long to finish the game after Chapter 13 and part of the enhancement to Ch.13 will surely be to trim the fat and make it a bit more compact so you can probably finish it off in a single evening once the patch comes around.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Suaimhneas posted:

I stopped playing a few weeks ago to wait for this, so it sucks that it's still going to be another two months. By then I'll be deep into Breath of the Wild and looking forward to Persona 5 and Nier Automata, hope I can still find time to come back and finish this.

Keep waiting. They'll probably make Ch 13 a bit less annoying mechanics-wise, but this doesn't even include the additional "story enhancements" they're planning on adding which is supposed to have additional voice acting and cutscenes.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Alternately: finish the game because it's not nearly as bad as people make it out to be.

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000
Right, there's plenty to do post-game, so you might as well just wrap it up. I didn't find it any worse than a kingdom hearts game in lead-up to the finale. I had the guide though which helped me from getting sidelined too much.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

There is really no reason to put it off. Even if youve a severe hankerin for the edites version it takes very little time to replay the story when you skip all side content and cutscenes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

IcePhoenix posted:

Alternately: finish the game because it's not nearly as bad as people make it out to be.

I like how a 1-2 hour long chapter now takes more than 1 evening to complete.

• Locked thread