Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
the glaive can only hit like 2 rats and doesn't push with the rest of them, it just gets stuck. it's not that grand anymore, which was probably needed because at launch it was just straight out 'everything i hate dies'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Yeah the glaive is something you bring for fun, not utility now. I wouldn't go near cataclysm with it anymore. The swing speed nerf was crippling. It kept all of the downsides that made it such a polarized weapon, but now has none of the upsides.

I haven't tested but I believe you can now swing the axe two times in the same length of time it takes for the glaive to swing and recover once. If true, it means the axe is drat close to an objectively better weapon. Which is pretty crazy considering that it was hands down the worst melee weapon in the game before the patch, and the glaive was one of the best.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Jan 30, 2017

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Every pubbie used it and it got out of control with however powerful they thought it was so it was nerfed.

As long as they still think the Hagbane is inferior to the regular Longbow though the Elf will survive the nerf rounds. It'll be catastrophic if the Sword & Dagger and the Hagbane get "balanced" simultaneously, but the Hagbane is really the crux of her power. If the Hagbane goes, the elf goes, I still stand by this. The others can't compete in usefulness. The Longbow is a shittier Handgun with low speed and high drag on its non-hitscan shot. Can't even 1-shot Stormvermin on Cata. The Handgun can shoot up to 3 Stormvermin at once and kill them all in a single shot. The Trueflight is still the Longbow just less ammo.

You get the idea.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

you heard the man fatshark remove the hagbane from the game, it's for the best

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The weirdest change for the elf is how they removed the block/counterattack from the dual daggers and sword/dagger, but left it on the dual swords.

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.
Noob question about the Hagbane: when roger shows up, should I be chugging my strength/speed potion and just spamming normal attacks at him, or going for charged shots?

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

The long bow is a repeater handgun, not a regular handgun

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

The long bow is a repeater handgun, not a regular handgun

But much less entertaining either way.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

:shrug: I find it's no reloads better for picking off clans than the repeater. But with the swiftbow being so good (fuk cat) there's little reason to take the longbow

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The orange repeater kills 2 clans a bodyshot on nightmare with no awkward charge needed and does not slow you down while left clicking, and it has a completely adequate clip size considering its reload is maybe a bit over just 1 second. It's a far better run and gun weapon than the longbow, and maybe the best run and gun weapon in the game.

As it is I don't understand why you'd ever want the longbow. The trueflight is a fantastic option on nightmare since it lets you easily headshot stormvermin for the instakill after they have started moving around, but not the longbow. It has all the disadvantages of the crossbow and then some, but you have to pay the downtime before you shoot instead of afterward, which is basically always inferior

The swiftbow is now a surprisingly great run and gun weapon on nightmare but it's painful when you have to kill armored enemies and your teammates are too busy picking their noses to do it for you. Help me lumbahfats

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Is there still a pretty active goon group to help lower-level players get situated? I have both the PS4 and PC versions, but thanks to recently building a very beefy PC I'm now looking to play PC primarily.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Roger chat: What specifically does the potion of strength do? I usually run Kruger with a warhammer and handgun: does potion of strength make EVERYTHING hit harder or just my hammer? Also, does it make a bomb hit harder too?

Do Rogers take extra damage from headshots too?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

jokes posted:

Roger chat: What specifically does the potion of strength do? I usually run Kruger with a warhammer and handgun: does potion of strength make EVERYTHING hit harder or just my hammer? Also, does it make a bomb hit harder too?

Do Rogers take extra damage from headshots too?

doubles all damage

yes, everything

yes, also bomb

yes, he does, but gfl hitting that tiny little head

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Coolguye posted:

doubles all damage

yes, everything

yes, also bomb

yes, he does, but gfl hitting that tiny little head

The strength potion makes you hurl the bomb so hard that just bonking something with it hurts!

Syrnn
Aug 16, 2004

While it is true that weapons have upsides and downsides, and that their superiority waxes and wanes with the rather sparse patches, I think I need to remind people of the same crap I have to tell pubbies when they yell at me for using Ursula instead of a handgun:
There's No Wrong Way To Click Rats

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Who tf complains about someone using ursula? It was competitive even before the patch

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I like to use the Longbow because I hate the Trueflight for taking all the fun out of aiming.

As long as rats still die in time I figure it's fine.

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe

Digirat posted:

Who tf complains about someone using ursula? It was competitive even before the patch

i was never a fan of Ursula before this latest patch; always smelted her for mats

But i never complained about anyone else using the repeater .

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
The only thing that annoys me about the reaper is having a hail or buckshot pass through a rat without injuring it. It's probably just me, but I find the hitscan and single projectile weapons much better reflect what I think I achieved.

Syrnn
Aug 16, 2004

The volley xbow is frustrating. I've only just got it after a loooooong hiatus from the game, and short of blowing all your ammunition on triple firing into a Stormvermin, it's pretty awful. If you don't headshot the storm with the regular fire, you can't just unload at full speed, even when hosting, because it doesn't count any hits during their stagger animation; the short version of this meaning it takes solidly 3-4 seconds of slowly, deliberately firing into a stormvermin to kill it without wasting ammo. Or, y'know, two body shots with a regular crossbow that takes less than a second. Roger killing is fine and all, but even there I would rather have anything else at all. A brace just takes the extra time to dodge backwards while unloading in its face, rather than having a weapon that seems impractical and ammo consumptive outside of that one and only use.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Syrnn posted:

The volley xbow is frustrating. I've only just got it after a loooooong hiatus from the game, and short of blowing all your ammunition on triple firing into a Stormvermin, it's pretty awful. If you don't headshot the storm with the regular fire, you can't just unload at full speed, even when hosting, because it doesn't count any hits during their stagger animation; the short version of this meaning it takes solidly 3-4 seconds of slowly, deliberately firing into a stormvermin to kill it without wasting ammo. Or, y'know, two body shots with a regular crossbow that takes less than a second. Roger killing is fine and all, but even there I would rather have anything else at all. A brace just takes the extra time to dodge backwards while unloading in its face, rather than having a weapon that seems impractical and ammo consumptive outside of that one and only use.

Single shot is barely used except at columns moving directly at you in single file, since its way more inaccurate than the xbow so you can't do hipfire headshot surgery on storms like you can with the single shot version, but the triple shot is amazing not just for roger but also for hordes and patrols and for roger and patrols in particular gets INCREDIBLE with a strength pot. Its three tightly packed bolts that penetrate 5 rats. Hail of Doom makes it six tightly packed bolts.

Try rerolling into some combo of bloodlust, master crafted, hail of doom, expanded magazine and maybe... targeteer?

e; Also I think you are really underselling the value of a majorly anticlimactic roger fight. With a strength potion and expanded mag on my volley xbow it doesn't matter if roger spawns in, say: the hedge maze in garden of moor when we're all low with no health kits. Drink strength pot, throw a bomb to stun, and I'm seven mouseclicks away from a dead ogre, no health lost on the team. There's a lot of value in defusing the tension of nastily placed ogre spawns, IMO.

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jan 31, 2017

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Yeah while you can often kill roger with no trouble with 0 potions or bombs available and without any weapons that are particularly good against him, there are times the game tells you to go gently caress yourself with an ambush and three specials in the hedge maze at the same time as roger. Being able to say :fuckoff: right back and defuse the situation is kind of hard to argue against. I honestly prefer the brace of pistols and crossbow to the volley crossbow under normal circumstances, but the volley crossbow is bullshit insurance, and when things get bad, you will be glad you brought it.

Incidentally these kinds of situations are why I think the bomb radius trinket is sorely underrated. I have flat out saved games with a bomb using that trinket.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Digirat posted:

Incidentally these kinds of situations are why I think the bomb radius trinket is sorely underrated. I have flat out saved games with a bomb using that trinket.
ive had pubbies flat out kill games with that trinket too

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Yes well pubbies are also incapable of puzzling out the right course of action when the situation is "a packmaster is pulling a teammate into a mass of 80 rats. You have a bomb in your inventory. What do you do?"

People who still waste bombs on a random cluster of harmless slave rats at the start of a holdout event and who still have not learned when to throw bombs at packmasters should not use the trinket.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Who needs a bomb for a packmaster when I can just 360no-scope them?

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I propose that we recognize Halfback and Assassin as official terms and roles in this game. The Controller stuns all the rats, the Striker kills multiple rats per swing, the Assassin murders specials (and/or roger) and the Halfback watches everyone's back and kills the inconvenient side rats and stragglers.

The more my team comps like this, the better we tend to do. Let's make this a thing.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
here are the roles i recognize: rat hacker, rat smasher, rat gnasher, rat motivational consultant, elf.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Is the motivational consultant the guy responsible for the "no rats were harmed in the making of this product" sticker?

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
they motivate the rats by being too terrible/unelfy for the other roles

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Willie Tomg posted:

Single shot is barely used except at columns moving directly at you in single file, since its way more inaccurate than the xbow so you can't do hipfire headshot surgery on storms like you can with the single shot version, but the triple shot is amazing not just for roger but also for hordes and patrols and for roger and patrols in particular gets INCREDIBLE with a strength pot. Its three tightly packed bolts that penetrate 5 rats. Hail of Doom makes it six tightly packed bolts.

Try rerolling into some combo of bloodlust, master crafted, hail of doom, expanded magazine and maybe... targeteer?

e; Also I think you are really underselling the value of a majorly anticlimactic roger fight. With a strength potion and expanded mag on my volley xbow it doesn't matter if roger spawns in, say: the hedge maze in garden of moor when we're all low with no health kits. Drink strength pot, throw a bomb to stun, and I'm seven mouseclicks away from a dead ogre, no health lost on the team. There's a lot of value in defusing the tension of nastily placed ogre spawns, IMO.

I rolled ex mag+scav+50% more ammo and yeah its loving absurd to the point that you can't really run anything else. Funneling a storm patrol into a choke point then unloading 21 bolts into them is absurd.

Once i get killing blow(N)+regrowth(N)+off balance on my rapier i'll have the best WH build there is--you'll lack a decent self heal with no BL but you can get by with regrowth by being careful. Salty is the best flank protector around just strafe side to side around your tank killing the rats that are trying to get around him.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Also Off Balance is actually ridiculously good.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

First 7 ever is a red handgun for the dwarf--its nice but i like drakefires better haha giving it to my bot so he turns into a sniper.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Night10194 posted:

I like to use the Longbow because I hate the Trueflight for taking all the fun out of aiming.

As long as rats still die in time I figure it's fine.

I like Trueflight only because it tells specials to get hosed and the limited ammo it carries reinforces the idea that you should be playing the elf as a blender rather than Legolas. It does take the fun out of aiming, but that's just more time to have fun slicing and dicing.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I like the Trueflight because despite playing shooters for twenty years I am a pretty lovely headclicker.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

ZearothK posted:

I like the Trueflight because despite playing shooters for twenty years I am a pretty lovely headclicker.

This

Syrnn
Aug 16, 2004

This thread has no right to be dead, so have a cat:

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Syrnn posted:

This thread has no right to be dead, so have a cat:

No one is playing it right now really though. Chat is dead, matchmaking has slowed right down.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

it has over 1200 players ingame right now which is more than three times the count when I checked in august.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Even at it's lowest (300-some by steamcharts, which has some margin of error because it can't read private profiles so assume some bit higher as well) I never really had problems finding games either.

It can be quiet but it's never really been 'dead.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

I kind of plateaued and I've found a game to eat all my time I'll probably come back again.

• Locked thread