Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

DancingShade posted:

Subforum memes that failed to get any traction and are now just SA emotes. They mean whatever you want.

Would be good for audio jokes if the laugh at audiophiles thread wasn't basically dead.

How much traction is there in laughing at people spending $20k on phonically tuned wood knobs for their stereos which wouldn't be covered by this thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Sausage Party is a 2016 American adult computer-animated comedy film directed by Greg Tiernan and Conrad Vernon and written by Kyle Hunter, Ariel Shaffir, Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg.

(Jesus, the schadenfreude is on me; I'd never actually read the synopsis. What a stupid loving movie.)

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Gorilla Salad posted:

How much traction is there in laughing at people spending $20k on phonically tuned wood knobs for their stereos which wouldn't be covered by this thread?

I've been laughing about that kind of thing for over 20 years now, so for me, a lot.

Bart Fargo
Mar 24, 2005

Il Raggio Infernale

Gorilla Salad posted:

If you also have the comparison they did between Monster speaker cables and wire coat hangers I'd put that in there too.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Besesoth posted:

Sausage Party is a 2016 American adult computer-animated comedy film directed by Greg Tiernan and Conrad Vernon and written by Kyle Hunter, Ariel Shaffir, Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg.

(Jesus, the schadenfreude is on me; I'd never actually read the synopsis. What a stupid loving movie.)

From the New York goddamn Times

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Crossposting from the IoSM thread:

Realtor in Illinois using his business Twitter account starts a Twitter fight with Patton Oswalt. Patton replies as he's wont to do until the realtor makes a comment about Patton's dead wife. Patton blows up the realtor's account with comments on listings. Come today, realtor is no longer employed by his company.
http://www.kansascity.com/entertainment/ent-columns-blogs/stargazing/article129787114.html

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Henchman of Santa posted:

From the New York goddamn Times

Am I missing the joke? Sausage Party was legit good.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Bart Fargo posted:

If you also have the comparison they did between Monster speaker cables and wire coat hangers I'd put that in there too.

quote:

We gathered up a 5 of our audio buddies. We took my "old" Martin Logan SL-3 (not a bad speaker for accurate noise making) and hooked them up with Monster 1000 speaker cables (decent cables according to the audio press). We also rigged up 14 gauge, oxygen free Belden stranded copper wire with a simple PVC jacket. Both were 2 meters long. They were connected to an ABX switch box allowing blind fold testing. Volume levels were set at 75 Db at 1000K Hz. A high quality recording of smooth, trio, easy listening jazz was played (Piano, drums, bass). None of us had heard this group or CD before, therefore eliminating biases. The music was played. Of the 5 blind folded, only 2 guessed correctly which was the monster cable. (I was not one of them). This was done 7 times in a row! Keeping us blind folded, my brother switched out the Belden wire (are you ready for this) with simple coat hanger wire! Unknown to me and our 12 audiophile buddies, prior to the ABX blind test, he took apart four coat hangers, reconnectd them and twisted them into a pair of speaker cables. Connections were soldered. He stashed them in a closet within the testing room so we were not privy to what he was up to. This made for a pair of 2 meter cables, the exact length of the other wires. The test was conducted. After 5 tests, none could determine which was the Monster 1000 cable or the coat hanger wire. Further, when music was played through the coat hanger wire, we were asked if what we heard sounded good to us. All agreed that what was heard sounded excellent, however, when A-B tests occured, it was impossible to determine which sounded best the majority of the time and which wire was in use. Needless to say, after the blind folds came off and we saw what my brother did, we learned he was right...most of what manufactures have to say about their products is pure hype. It seems the more they charge, the more hyped it is.

I lost the source but there you go.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Maybe instead of monster being bad, coat hangers are just as good?

They make good car antennas.

CowboyKid
May 29, 2008

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Actually it sucked poo poo.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

10 Beers posted:

Crossposting from the IoSM thread:

Realtor in Illinois using his business Twitter account starts a Twitter fight with Patton Oswalt. Patton replies as he's wont to do until the realtor makes a comment about Patton's dead wife. Patton blows up the realtor's account with comments on listings. Come today, realtor is no longer employed by his company.
http://www.kansascity.com/entertainment/ent-columns-blogs/stargazing/article129787114.html

I think at this point people should know they're loving with Oswalt at their own risk. I guess people just look at him and see that putz that they used to be able to bully in high school, but at this point he's like universally loved and has been through unimaginable tragedy so he has very few fucks left to give and the public will usually side with him. If you give him a reason to he will ruin your life via social media.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Mr. Flunchy posted:

:yikes:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Outrail posted:

Maybe instead of monster being bad, coat hangers are just as good?

They make good car antennas.

Electrons being pushed through a cable optimally is important for my $500k sound system running off a Playstation 1 CD player.

edit:
In case you think its a joke:

Solice Kirsk has a new favorite as of 16:18 on Feb 1, 2017

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Solice Kirsk posted:

Electrons being pushed through a cable optimally is important for my $500k sound system running off a Playstation 1 CD player.

edit:
In case you think its a joke:

What am I looking at here? Aside from a bunch of expensive poo poo.

Is that a ride on lawnmower battery at the top left?

Trebek
Mar 7, 2002
College Slice
Is that Sony thing below it one of those 100 disc CD changers that took 10 minutes to change from one CD to the next.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Outrail posted:

There are audiophiles who believe the cd transport in the Playstation I is the best ever for reasons

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."

Outrail posted:

It's the motor for the turn table. Having it off to the side like that and driving the table with the cord isolates vibrations so your vinyl copy of an album mastered in ProTools can achieve maximum audiophile analog clarity.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Outrail posted:

You see, the DC current provided by the car battery is much better at running the receivers than AC current. Of course you have to keep the alternator in a separate room because it will throw off the sound dynamics since they have yet to invent a sound neutral alternator.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
Didn't see it posted, apologies if it's a repeat

http://usuncut.com/politics/syrian-family-voted-trump/

quote:

However, when the six Assali relatives arrived in the United States only hours after Donald Trump signed his executive order indefinitely banning immigration from seven predominantly Muslim countries (including Syria), they were promptly detained by U.S. Customs.

“Two security guards were waiting for them,” Sarmad Assali told NBC News. “They took them. They said, ‘Are you Syrians?’ They said, ‘Yes.’ They said, ‘Come with us.'”

Assali said her vote for Donald Trump was done out of a desire to see secure borders, though she didn’t expect one of her candidate’s chief campaign promises to be applied to her relatives, who are all Orthodox Christians with green cards. Even though White House Chief of Staff Reince Priebus recently stated that Trump’s order wouldn’t apply to green card holders, Assali’s relatives were nonetheless forced to board the next flight to Syria despite waiting over a decade to be with their family in the United States.

"We supported a bigoted rear end in a top hat and never thought he'd follow through or that it would affect us" seems to be the standard reaction from Trump voters. On one hand, I feel bad...on the other hand, they're idiots who clearly did zero research before voting. I'd like to think that poo poo like this will make people more mindful, but we all know how that's turned out before...

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Just look at the Freep thread in D&D- your typical ultranationalist right-wingers don't really care for anyone but themselves, nor do they think negative consequences of their actions apply to them, and when they do suffer said consequences they blame someone else. That being said, a stupid voting mistake shouldn't cost anyone their lives nor risk them, and I do hope that Assali's family gets to the US safely and quickly :ohdear:

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

BOOTY-ADE posted:

"We supported a bigoted rear end in a top hat and never thought he'd follow through or that it would affect us" seems to be the standard reaction from Trump voters. On one hand, I feel bad...on the other hand, they're idiots who clearly did zero research before voting. I'd like to think that poo poo like this will make people more mindful, but we all know how that's turned out before...

protip: dont feel bad

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

http://i.imgur.com/l9YHpyQ.gifv

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 41 hours!

CommissarMega posted:

That being said, a stupid voting mistake shouldn't cost anyone their lives nor risk them, and I do hope that Assali's family gets to the US safely and quickly :ohdear:

You say mistake like DJ wasn't absolutely clear about all this before the election.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Some boys never learn to stop trying to impress girls in stupid ways.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

This man is a hero

gibb3h
Jul 15, 2014

Literally my only claim to fame, glad it's getting some mileage

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

im pooping! posted:

Agreed, gently caress Nazis and collaborators.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

BOOTY-ADE posted:

There's a whole lot of Trump supporters who are positively ecstatic right now.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
There's a lot of talk about the responsibility of fake news, the education system, social media, and right wing media in Donald Trump's election. While all of these things are factors, what annoys me about a lot of arguments I hear is how they use these things as excuses to treat Trump voters with kid gloves. "Try to understand their point of view," and "They were just manipulated by the media." But how about the idea that all of his voters are loving adults and need to put on their Big Boy and Big Girl Pants and use some loving basic critical thinking and common sense? Passing the blame away from them and onto anything else is more patronizing than straight-up calling them dumbasses. At least by calling them dumbasses, I'm being honest and letting them own their loving mistake. To do otherwise is coddling these dipshits that vote against their own interest. I just heard a Trump voter on NPR last week say, "He's one of us, he talks like us. I hope Trump holds up his end of the bargain and stands up for the working class." Trump speaking at a sixth grade level doesn't make him "one of us." If anything, that's yet another way to be patronizing toward the working class. Trump is a rich weirdo that gilds everything he owns and whose catchphrase is "you're fired." jfc, these people. Save me. I am an abyss of schadenfreude.

gently caress this stupid earth.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Measly Twerp posted:

There's a whole lot of Trump supporters who are positively ecstatic right now.

I don't quite get the point in redacting someone's name from internet comments. It's just pointing out that ~someone~ ~somewhere~ has a vile opinion. They posted it knowing their name would be attached, why do them the favor of stripping it off before spreading it around?

Railing Kill posted:

There's a lot of talk about the responsibility of fake news, the education system, social media, and right wing media in Donald Trump's election. While all of these things are factors, what annoys me about a lot of arguments I hear is how they use these things as excuses to treat Trump voters with kid gloves. "Try to understand their point of view," and "They were just manipulated by the media." But how about the idea that all of his voters are loving adults and need to put on their Big Boy and Big Girl Pants and use some loving basic critical thinking and common sense? Passing the blame away from them and onto anything else is more patronizing than straight-up calling them dumbasses. At least by calling them dumbasses, I'm being honest and letting them own their loving mistake. To do otherwise is coddling these dipshits that vote against their own interest. I just heard a Trump voter on NPR last week say, "He's one of us, he talks like us. I hope Trump holds up his end of the bargain and stands up for the working class." Trump speaking at a sixth grade level doesn't make him "one of us." If anything, that's yet another way to be patronizing toward the working class. Trump is a rich weirdo that gilds everything he owns and whose catchphrase is "you're fired." jfc, these people. Save me. I am an abyss of schadenfreude.

I think the most charitable I can be towards Trump voters is that they were willfully ignorant. They never stepped out of the conservative echo chamber and are only now starting to realize the implications of their actions, but I still say gently caress 'em. Tattoo a T on their cheek so when we wonder where all the civil liberties went we know who thought putting Donald John Trump in the Oval Office was a smart thing to do. Their ignorance has cost America miles of progressive ground and it gets worse with each passing day. We're not even into week 2 of this presidency Republicans have already changed the rules as to not need opinions or votes from Democrats to pass through Trump/Bannon's picks for office.

quote:

gently caress this stupid earth.

LawfulWaffle has a new favorite as of 18:32 on Feb 1, 2017

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

im pooping! posted:

Better yet; Feel bad, sarcastically.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
https://i.imgur.com/Luw6D2d.gifv

situational awareness was lacking this day.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

LawfulWaffle posted:

I don't quite get the point in redacting someone's name from internet comments. It's just pointing out that ~someone~ ~somewhere~ has a vile opinion. They posted it knowing their name would be attached, why do them the favor of stripping it off before spreading it around?

Because it's a goon. And was said in what I can only describe as a "safe space".

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Measly Twerp posted:

Because it's a goon. And was said in what I can only describe as a "safe space".

gently caress that goon.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

food court bailiff posted:

This has almost certainly been posted before, and probably recently too, but it's just such a goddamn treasure: http://www.areyousorryyet.com/

I imagine Hillary starting each day with a choral rendition of new posts.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Measly Twerp posted:

That just makes for a more compelling reason to post the name

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

BOOTY-ADE posted:

If I was being detained and maybe deported by the new Trumpstaffel, you better believe that I would be professing my eternal love for our Dear Leader, and explaining how I had voted for him.

If you can find them professing that love from before the election, that might be amusing. But these people are trying to hold their lives together.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

LawfulWaffle posted:

gently caress that goon.

Make Helldump Great Again

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

lol I just noticed the base stayed completely intact and punished the gently caress out of his kidney

edit: for the record I thought he was just feeling the pain of going through a glass coffee table/checking his back for glass shards

Grey Fox has a new favorite as of 18:55 on Feb 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I know how pointless it is to speculate, but seriously what the gently caress was the end goal here? "LOOK GUYS I DESTROYED YOUR PROPERTY AND SPILLED ALL YOUR BEERS, I'M SO loving WACKY, HEY LADIES LET'S GO BANG".