Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

The scene is totally portrayed as a reward for the player. You beat the boss, you get to see boobs.

Anita is right. I like how I'm being accused of being a rapist for agreeing with Anita.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

WampaLord posted:

The scene is totally portrayed as a reward for the player. You beat the boss, you get to see boobs.

Anita is right. I like how I'm being accused of being a rapist for agreeing with Anita.

That's not why you're getting backlash at all.

You acknowledged that he couldn't consent, but then argued that doesn't matter because he's attracted to her and didn't stop her. That's, like, textbook rape aplogism.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Roth posted:

That's not why you're getting backlash at all.

You acknowledged that he couldn't consent, but then argued that doesn't matter because he's attracted to her and didn't stop her. That's, like, textbook rape aplogism.

Calling it a "rape scene" means something. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo has a "rape scene" this is a "sex scene."

You know what? I'll drop it, I'll never convince anyone and I'll probably end up with a red title.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

A nonconsensual sex scene. Also known as a loving rape scene.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
far cry 3 may be satirical but it's also poo poo at it which is the important part

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

is this rape scene treated tastefully and does the game address the fact that the main character was raped.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

Augus posted:

is this rape scene treated tastefully and does the game address the fact that the main character was raped.

lol

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

WampaLord posted:

Calling it a "rape scene" means something. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo has a "rape scene" this is a "sex scene."

You know what? I'll drop it, I'll never convince anyone and I'll probably end up with a red title.
Are you gonna argue then that Goldfinger doesn't include a rape scene?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Augus posted:

I doubt it because it's Far Cry, but to me that just raises the issue of how rape isn't treated as rape unless it's the incredibly violent kind of rape that prople normally think about, rather than to just disregard it altogether.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Remember that time where you got a flamethrower then started torching their cannabis fields and got high as Skrillex started playing? That was a pretty good part.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Roth posted:

I doubt it because it's Far Cry, but to me that just raises the issue of how rape isn't treated as rape unless it's the incredibly violent kind of rape that prople normally think about, rather than to just disregard it altogether.

Which is a VERY super duper important rear end thing to talk about. Like massively so in both media and reality in general. I dunno if games, this thread, or videos about games are the place it needs talking about though. But... Important.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Roth posted:

That's one of the big problems with Far Cry 3. The scene is absolutely, as DStecks describes, a rape scene. However it is written, as WampaLord decribed at the top of the page, like a sex scene. Far Cry 3, at the very least, does a poor job of presenting what is wrong with the scene. It should be assumed because it's very clear what's going on, but assuming that the kind of gamer Far Cry 3 is trying to appeal to is connecting those dots is way too generous to that kind of gamer and the game fails to do anything to suggest that what's happening is as wrong as it is. After the fact, Jason is pretty into Citra and being a part of the Rakyat where he's a real cool guy doing drugs and killing bad guys. The only people opposed to this are Jason's friends, who aren't even seeing how the Rakyat are affecting him outside of making him want to stay. Nobody actually has a chance to comment on Citra raping Jason outside of the other Rakyat members and Jason, a rich white guy who has been thriving on drugs and a combat high since the beginning of the game who doesn't care that he's just been raped anymore. It isn't until the very end that the game even asks the player to consider the possibility that falling in with the Rakyat is a bad thing. By the time Citra rapes Jason, we should have already started on that train of thought, but the game isn't the one presenting that idea.

What probably would have been better is a) having some of the friends have a better idea of what is going on with Jason and the Rakyat so they can effectively act as a voice of reason that Jason can disregard and b) have the ending not be a choice, so we can say with certainty that Jason is this character that has basically been indoctrinated by the Rakyat and people who got this far have more reason to look back at the events of the game from this angle.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
For anyone's who interested, here's the RPS interview with Far Cry 3's write, Jeffery Yolahem, where he discussed the game and its supposed satire.

DStecks posted:

It's a loving rape scene. The player character is very explicitly being raped by Citra in both scenes. The fact that 95% of gamers are illiterate doesn't make it not satire.
What it with you accusing people of being illiterate when they don't agree with your points?

DStecks posted:

The game has an end goal, reaching the centre of the galaxy, and the whole game is built around this journey. That's why the game isn't built for you ever returning to places you've been, because NMS is about forward motion and never staying anywhere too long.

Also LMAO at criticizing a game for "wasting the player's time" and praising Elite Dangerous in the same post.

NMS is an art game. You are illiterate.
Honestly, it reminds me a lot of this:

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.
JonTron raped Jason Voorhees in the new Friday the 13th game.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

What

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Max Wilco posted:

For anyone's who interested, here's the RPS interview with Far Cry 3's write, Jeffery Yolahem, where he discussed the game and its supposed satire.

What it with you accusing people of being illiterate when they don't agree with your points?

mcintosh makes my brain hurt

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head

Takoluka posted:

I really don't want to start this argument/discussion here, but... I don't think she played Hyrule Warriors.

Yeah... yeah...

I'm glad that Anita seems to be fading into the background. This video was embarrassing.

Here's hoping for better discussions/exploration into gaming from feminist point of view... from someone else.

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015
Wait is he saying Mad Max showing a bunch of people overthrowing a horrible fascist sex slave post apocalyptic nightmare as 'awesome' is somehow bad?

Does he think Indiana Jones is morally bankrupt because he kills nazi's and no-one says thats a bad thing?

Pirate Jenny
Mar 28, 2006

Sie wissen nicht, mit wem Sie reden.

Augus posted:

mcintosh makes my brain hurt

...why. nothing he says is out of line with the basicest of basic film reading. If the framing shows that violence is awesome while pushing a message of "violence bad" that is dissonance. However, I think he is oversimplifying the message of the film.

But c'mon y'all aren't this dense. McIntosh might be oversimplifying when he says the moral of MMFR is "violence = bad", but he's not wrong that the framing of violence like it's an awesome fun thing can undermine messages. It's like saying Wolf of Wall street is totes a critique of that life when through the framing/pov/metatext/literally everything makes it look like the funnest thing ever. You aren't cringing in horror at the post-apocalyptic fascists. They are bad guys, yes, but they are FUN. They are ENGAGING. You see the same thing with characters like Darth Vader.

cosmically_cosmic posted:

Wait is he saying Mad Max showing a bunch of people overthrowing a horrible fascist sex slave post apocalyptic nightmare as 'awesome' is somehow bad?

No. He is saying that the framing (remember how everyone thought the doof warrior, the symbol of the fascist army, was the COOLEST THING EVER) makes the bad guys look fun and awesome.

Does he think Indiana Jones is morally bankrupt because he kills nazi's and no-one says thats a bad thing?

Okay this is just some JonTron level of dense.

COME ON PEOPLE, YOU'RE NOT ALLOWED TO LOL AT SARGON FOR HOW WILLFULLY DENSE HE IS WHILE YOURSELVES BEING WILLFULLY DENSE.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The problem with McIntosh is that he oversimplifies things, and then when people disagree with him, he'll then pull out the classic "NO UR DUM AND VERY ANGRY" in basically every situation.

He's hardly the worst person out there though.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Jimbot posted:

Remember that time where you got a flamethrower then started torching their cannabis fields and got high as Skrillex started playing? That was a pretty good part.

You were unconsentually drugged.

Takoluka posted:

I really don't want to start this argument/discussion here, but... I don't think she played Hyrule Warriors.

Also this

E: Like I want to like Anita for the sheer rage she generates from existing and pissing off completely terrible human beings. But when you're just wrong like... yeah.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

What would she have gained from having played Hyrule Warriors that would contradict her point?

I don't remember enough about that character to say anything one way or the other.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Pirate Jenny posted:

But c'mon y'all aren't this dense. McIntosh might be oversimplifying when he says the moral of MMFR is "violence = bad", but he's not wrong that the framing of violence like it's an awesome fun thing can undermine messages.
Except framing the moral as "violence=bad" inherently shows that he doesn't understand the film at all. The moral is quite blatantly "overthrow patriarchy and tyranny via violent means". Which is something that it fully supports by making all of the tyrants bar one physically and morally gross. There's a reason we see Joe's tumor covered body as our first image of him. Even the doof warrior is physically deformed and clearly unable to function on his own, being grouped in with the other brainwashed warboys.

The only real screw up in this is the Bullet Farmer because he doesn't have any obvious reason that it would suck to be the Bullet Farmer, aside from dying.

Roth posted:

What would she have gained from having played Hyrule Warriors that would contradict her point?

I don't remember enough about that character to say anything one way or the other.
Heck if I know. Hyrule Warriors was fun but it has some powerful embarrassing clothing on its women characters.

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015

Terrible Opinions posted:

The only real screw up in this is the Bullet Farmer because he doesn't have any obvious reason that it would suck to be the Bullet Farmer, aside from dying.

Also the flaming guitar guy on the heavy metal wartruck. He just wanted to play his guitar. He doesn't even try to fight when the guys are attacking him he just keeps going for that guitar.

And I don't really buy the fact that the bad guys have good designs is somehow glorifying them. Especially in Mad Max, where they're all deformed midget monsters.

The whole thing to me reeks of contrarianism, like those articles that are like '10 Reasons why Mad Max fury road is secretly fascist propaganda' or something.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
McIntosh is an absolute imbecile and should not be considered ever.
Anita is a smart person with a tendency to say dumb things, but that's inevitable when every moment of your life is scrutinized by weird, creepy nerds.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

McIntosh was saying that Fury Road's glorification of violence made it automatically an anti-feminist and pro-patriarchy movie, because rather than taking a stand against the patriarchy or showing it as a bad thing, it merely allowed a woman to participate in it.

He also said the movie shows that post-apocalyptic patriarchy not as a terrible thing, but as an awesome theme park. He's kind of an idiot.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Seemlar posted:

He's kind of an idiot.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Max Wilco posted:

Why the gently caress do you pay enough attention to my video game shitposting that you remember a specific word I used in one post months ago?

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben
That was the post where you earned your dislikes.

How's the fate of finding things coming?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

"It's like she didn't even play Hyrule Warriors"

who...........cares???????????????????

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Alaois posted:

"It's like she didn't even play Hyrule Warriors"

who...........cares???????????????????

people who talk about things should make an effort to know what they're talking about

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Augus posted:

people who talk about things should make an effort to know what they're talking about

Would someone care to explain what she got wrong about the game? Her description of the sexualization of the character certainly isn't inaccurate, she's got cleavage for days.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Augus posted:

Generally, but I don't think context is going to change the reading in this case.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

WampaLord posted:

Would someone care to explain what she got wrong about the game? Her description of the sexualization of the character certainly isn't inaccurate, she's got cleavage for days.

Wll, you see evil energy raises her body temperature so...

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
I don't see how playing a bad Dynast Warriors reskin is going to give any more or a better context for the gross and sexist depiction of the antagonist.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

once you recognize the secret reason for her exposure, you will feel ashamed of your words & deeds

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
[in a very Hideo Kojima voice]

well you see in order to improve combat effectiveness the Soviets surgically grafted another set of lungs onto test subjects which protruded from the chest. These had to be allowed freedom of movement in order to preserve the natural breathing motion.

of course it only worked on females due to hormonal issues, furthermore

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

WampaLord posted:

Cia's outfit is standard fare for Team Ninja, the people who brought us the Dead or Alive girls. That's as open to judgment as anything else. I'm surprised that Cia doesn't have breast physics. The problem I have is that her assessment of "Why is Cia, the black person, evil and Lana, the white person, not evil?" is really dumb.

Cia is actually a good person, corrupted by Ganondorf who takes advantage of her negative emotions. Lana is the manifestation of Cia's own virtue who separates from her in order to seek help and save her. You're not even supposed to know this going in, as Cia's identity and her motivations are revealed later. The assessment seems to imply that Ganondorf's "dark skin" and Cia's "tribal look" are indicative of a direct association between "black people" and "evil characters." To me, it's like asking "Why is Final Fantasy racist? Why do 'white mages' heal and 'black mages' destroy?" The Zelda franchise's recurring theme is "battle between light and darkness," so noting that "a character who is mostly bright colors" contrasted by "that same character portrayed with dark colors" is the equivalent of "appealing to Western ideals of fair-skinned vs dark-skinned beauty" is disingenuous at best.

Again, I'm not going to defend Cia's outfit. I'm sure a black version of her actual outfit would have worked just as well. But the implication that Cia and Ganondorf are racially insensitive rubbed me the wrong way.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
You're using in-universe rationale to attempt to refute an argument based in the real world. You look foolish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Also, Ganondorf isn't black. His skin has a sickly green tone that doesn't exist in real life. The argument that it's racial coding is a weak one. The other Gerudos don't look like this, just him.

DoctorWhat posted:

You're using in-universe rationale to attempt to refute an argument based in the real world. You look foolish.

Cia's skin tone doesn't represent her being evil because Cia wasn't and isn't always evil but still looks the same.

• Locked thread