Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Takoluka posted:

Cia's outfit is standard fare for Team Ninja, the people who brought us the Dead or Alive girls. That's as open to judgment as anything else. I'm surprised that Cia doesn't have breast physics. The problem I have is that her assessment of "Why is Cia, the black person, evil and Lana, the white person, not evil?" is really dumb.

Cia is actually a good person, corrupted by Ganondorf who takes advantage of her negative emotions. Lana is the manifestation of Cia's own virtue who separates from her in order to seek help and save her. You're not even supposed to know this going in, as Cia's identity and her motivations are revealed later. The assessment seems to imply that Ganondorf's "dark skin" and Cia's "tribal look" are indicative of a direct association between "black people" and "evil characters." To me, it's like asking "Why is Final Fantasy racist? Why do 'white mages' heal and 'black mages' destroy?" The Zelda franchise's recurring theme is "battle between light and darkness," so noting that "a character who is mostly bright colors" contrasted by "that same character portrayed with dark colors" is the equivalent of "appealing to Western ideals of fair-skinned vs dark-skinned beauty" is disingenuous at best.

Again, I'm not going to defend Cia's outfit. I'm sure a black version of her actual outfit would have worked just as well. But the implication that Cia and Ganondorf are racially insensitive rubbed me the wrong way.
You know I was with you until I saw the DLC costume for her "not evil" version. That version has white skin, did turning evil make her skin turn brown? That's pretty loving racist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxV8gAGmbtk

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Augus posted:

Also, Ganondorf isn't black. His skin has a sickly green tone that doesn't exist in real life. The argument that it's racial coding is a weak one. The other Gerudos don't look like this, just him.

Cia's skin tone doesn't represent her being evil because Cia wasn't and isn't always evil but still looks the same.

A dark or swarthy complexion signifying evil and paired against a lightly complected hero definitely does not have tons of cultural baggage bound up in racism or imperialism.

How many Disney cartoon villains are the only swarthy members of their race? Why might that be?

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Just as an example.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Maybe I'm wrong as hell.

But I never once looked at Cia and felt that it signified some underlying dog whistle, just that Cia was made to look different in that form so when the "big reveal" happens, you're not going "Well, yeah. Duh. She looks exactly like Lana."

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Augus posted:

Also, Ganondorf isn't black. His skin has a sickly green tone that doesn't exist in real life. The argument that it's racial coding is a weak one. The other Gerudos don't look like this, just him.

Cia's skin tone doesn't represent her being evil because Cia wasn't and isn't always evil but still looks the same.

Cia was designed by human beings to be a villain. Her design reflects that intent.

No piece of story detail will ever be worth anything in this kind of discussion. You're like one of those aliens from Galaxy Quest, treating Zelda as a "historical document".

EDIT:

thanks, watch this

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Takoluka posted:

Maybe I'm wrong as hell.

But I never once looked at Cia and felt that it signified some underlying dog whistle, just that Cia was made to look different in that form so when the "big reveal" happens, you're not going "Well, yeah. Duh. She looks exactly like Lana."

Studies show that children of color associate their skin tone with negative connotations more often than white children and that they all have some form of "white bias". The study used identical pictures of the same figure but only color swapped the skin tones. By splitting a character into two personalities and making the good one white and the bad one darker skinned the game designers reinforce those negative associations that kids go on to internalize.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Fair enough.
After all stuff like Casca's skin being lightened in the new Berserk anime still happens.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Fair enough, indeed.

It may also be bias that I think Cia is both cooler and more attractive than Lana, outfit notwithstanding, which may be distorting my view of it.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
you mean japanese video game makers might not be the most culturally sensitive???

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
So the Cinema Snob reviewed Glen or Glenda

Man does Ed Wood sound like he's really just trying to convince himself in that movie. Poor dude, hope the Tim Burton movie was accurate and he ended up feeling just kind of okay with wearing froofy sweaters and heels

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

Isn't that literally Anita's point anyway? The one that's "bad" has darker skin, which has racist connotations.

It seems the additional context provided in the thread is the same context as in the video?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I disagree with her point, because I don't think it would've made a single difference if her skin color had been changed to red, purple, or blue. I think the racial implications expressed are the result of reading too much into it, especially considering there are other heroes and villains in the game that span a diverse range of skin tones, archetypes, and motivations. To focus on Cia specifically and then use Ganondorf as extra evidence that "the bad people are dark-skinned" is, again, pretty disingenuous. I'm not an expert on the subject, though, and I will concede to being wrong if there really is some ulterior motive here.

I mean, it's not a huge deal in the grand scheme. Cia's outfit is very showy, and there's no arguing that. I think that's really as far as it goes, though.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Takoluka posted:

I disagree with her point, because I don't think it would've made a single difference if her skin color had been changed to red, purple, or blue. I think the racial implications expressed are the result of reading too much into it, especially considering there are other heroes and villains in the game that span a diverse range of skin tones, archetypes, and motivations. To focus on Cia specifically and then use Ganondorf as extra evidence that "the bad people are dark-skinned" is, again, pretty disingenuous. I'm not an expert on the subject, though, and I will concede to being wrong if there really is some ulterior motive here.

I mean, it's not a huge deal in the grand scheme. Cia's outfit is very showy, and there's no arguing that. I think that's really as far as it goes, though.

Ignoring Ganondorf, why is it disingenuous to point out that a character who is split into two characters, one is white and good, the other is dark skinned and bad, has racial connotations?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Takoluka posted:

The claim isn't that Zelda creates racism out of nothing by creating a racial caste system for its characters. The claim is that racism exists and informs the conventions and patterns that appear in art.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

MacheteZombie posted:

Ignoring Ganondorf, why is it disingenuous to point out that a character who is split into two characters, one is white and good, the other is dark skinned and bad, has racial connotations?

TV Tropes (yeah, I know) notes something called "Hades Shading," where "evil" results in a "scorched skin" effect. That's more or less how I've seen it. On the surface, it could have some implications, but I think context is pretty important.

e:
I've been reading some discussions in response to the video to get a better perspective, and eventually, it turned into an argument about whether or not Shantae is racist, so I think I'm just going to drop it before it explodes.

Takoluka fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Feb 1, 2017

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Takoluka posted:

TV Tropes (yeah, I know) notes something called "Hades Shading," where "evil" results in a "scorched skin" effect. That's more or less how I've seen it. On the surface, it could have some implications, but I think context is pretty important.

Read a book on race and representation and then your opinion will be informed enough to take seriously. Right now you're dismissing any possibility that there is a longer tradition to the stories you enjoy that you might not know about, and you're substituting an alternative hypothesis you pulled off a wiki and expecting it to compete with an argument that cites three scholarly texts right there in the video.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Jack Gladney posted:

Right now you're dismissing any possibility that there is a longer tradition to the stories you enjoy that you might not know about

Takoluka posted:

I'm not an expert on the subject, though, and I will concede to being wrong

It is infinitely easier to say that I am completely misinformed and dismissive, so I'm just going to do that. I apologize.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Hang on wait a loving second, the person with the Splatoon avatar is sticking up for a Nintendo product to the point of being almost willfully dense again!?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Alaois posted:

Hang on wait a loving second, the person with the Splatoon avatar is sticking up for a Nintendo product to the point of being almost willfully dense again!?

They announced that their online service is going to be $70/yr and will actively delete your games, buuuuuuuuuuuut

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

Max Wilco posted:

For anyone's who interested, here's the RPS interview with Far Cry 3's write, Jeffery Yolahem, where he discussed the game and its supposed satire.
Jeffery Yolahem seems like a smart guy, but none of that comes across in the game. It feels like Standard Power Fantasy #35433, and if he was banking on the savvy of the average gamer to pick up on any deeper meaning I've got bad news.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Playstation 4 posted:

That was the post where you earned your dislikes.

I really, really need to stop posting when I'm stressed out.

Playstation 4 posted:

How's the fate of finding things coming?

I finished the script months ago, but I'm not happy with it, and I've lacked motivation to work on it. I really don't know if I even want to continue making reviews. I'm in a real rut.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Seems like a lot of somebodies discovered Franz Fanon last semester!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
You mean Frantz?

:smug:

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

MacheteZombie posted:

You mean Frantz?

:smug:

Curses!

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

DoctorWhat posted:

Cia was designed by human beings to be a villain. Her design reflects that intent.

Yep, and since we're talking about a Japanese developer it's possible that it might not even be racist but classist (consciously or not) since historically lower-class Japanese people got darker complexions from working in the sun all day while the upper-class maintained a fairer skin tone. They culturally associate lighter tones, especially white, with purity and beauty.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

TheMaestroso posted:

Yep, and since we're talking about a Japanese developer it's possible that it might not even be racist but classist (consciously or not) since historically lower-class Japanese people got darker complexions from working in the sun all day while the upper-class maintained a fairer skin tone. They culturally associate lighter tones, especially white, with purity and beauty.

Do you mean the Burakumin, or are you referring to something else?

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

rudecyrus posted:

Jeffery Yolahem seems like a smart guy, but none of that comes across in the game. It feels like Standard Power Fantasy #35433, and if he was banking on the savvy of the average gamer to pick up on any deeper meaning I've got bad news.

he's not that smart, he contradicts his own arguments

plus if your intent is to satirise power fantasies by giving the player a power fantasy, without any real comment on what that is in the text, you've just made the same drat thing

I feel like writers (ie: hacks) make this argument to deflect and shut down criticism, the story decisions in far cry 3 are stupid, annoying, tasteless, offensive, and boring, yet if it's SATIRE THEN IT'S ALL ABOVE THAT

gently caress off

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Far Cry 3 is not an artistic statement of anything because the writers are hack frauds who actually thought people would prefer Hoyt over Vaas.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Leal posted:

Far Cry 3 is not an artistic statement of anything because the writers are hack frauds who actually thought people would prefer Hoyt over Vaas.

To be fair Vaas wasn't even in the script, he was written for Michael Mando specifically after he gave a fantastic audition.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Leal posted:

seriously the game wasn't the All Vaas Party Hour, that alone is damning of their artistic merit.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The best part of the game was not planned by the authors. This indicates that Vaas's actor should have just been the writer.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

The entire game should have ended with Vaas being the final boss of the game instead of some bland rich douche.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Augus posted:

Wow, I didn't know they had good wifi at the circus.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Hbomberguy posted:

Wow, I didn't know they had good wifi at the circus.

listen here mister bombdog I can't possibly imagine a person reading this as black

unless they were just trying to stir poo poo. I mean, he doesn't even have big red lips!

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

cat doter posted:

he's not that smart, he contradicts his own arguments

plus if your intent is to satirise power fantasies by giving the player a power fantasy, without any real comment on what that is in the text, you've just made the same drat thing

I feel like writers (ie: hacks) make this argument to deflect and shut down criticism, the story decisions in far cry 3 are stupid, annoying, tasteless, offensive, and boring, yet if it's SATIRE THEN IT'S ALL ABOVE THAT

gently caress off

It's the same old intent argument: "The outcome doesn't matter, what I was trying to do matters!" (See also: the Cia argument)

Lotta people think the argument is about whether they're an OK person, rather than whether they just made a crappy thing.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Alaois posted:

listen here mister bombdog I can't possibly imagine a person reading this as black

unless they were just trying to stir poo poo. I mean, he doesn't even have big red lips!
What sort of idiot would pick up racial/religious connotations from a character who explicitly belongs to a race of middle-eastern looking people, who live in a desert and wear flowing clothes and know dark magic, whose symbol had to be changed because it was a symbol of the Islamic faith?????

wow geez they really downplayed the ridiculously over the top nose in later versions of his design didn't they, almost as if...

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
holy poo poo was the original Gerudo symbol literally just a crescent and star???

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Tatum Girlparts posted:

holy poo poo was the original Gerudo symbol literally just a crescent and star???

Yeah, it's all over in OOT in the Gerudo areas. IIRC the Fire Temple music was also some sort of Islamic prayer chant. Both got changed due to people (understandably) complaining after the first run of cartridges (so they're not in the 1.1 and 1.2 versions of OOT which are what most people have played).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009
I thought the crescent and star was just a texture used on movable blocks and not necessarily associated with the Gerudo.

• Locked thread