Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Crazy Ted posted:

I'm kind of not getting how what Barkley said about LeBron was all that bad. Charles can say some dumb stuff about basketball (i.e. three-pointers) but in this case he is mostly right: Cleveland is the defending champs and they started off the year white-hot, so its not like they really need 2-3 new players to become championship contenders again. The Cavs are just in a funk right now.

Charles sure did get under his skin though, so it's clear LeBron is real frustrated right now.

That's because you are not seeing it from Lebron POV, he is doing his job by pushing for a better team in order to win. Charles is an irresponsible, drunk hypocrite, what does he know about the job of winning?

He is mad that this faker, deigns to question him, The King. That's why Lebron points out how irresponsible Barkley is, to show that he doesn't know the burden of leading and winning, a fake expert; what kinda advice is be happy with what you have, but compete? How is wanting better than what you have not competing? Chuck is a faker, akin to skip Bayless. After all, Chuck was happy with what he had, that's why he now prostates to his king, MJ. happiness is for losers.

This whole thing just reveals the truth. All those jokes about GM lebron, they were fake praise only meant to depower him, like how men think women control the household.

gently caress that noise Lebron. LONG LIVE THE KING.

Femur fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Feb 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Lebron probably would have ignored Barkley but he didn't want to lose face in front of his posse.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

NotWearingPants posted:

Lebron probably would have ignored Barkley but he didn't want to lose face in front of his posse.

gently caress out of here

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
D'Angelo had a good game today, 22/10/6 with only two TOs. It's nice that his impact was actually visible in the box score since usually even though the Lakers seem to have more assists when he's on the floor, those assists aren't often coming directly from him.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Rick posted:

D'Angelo had a good game today, 22/10/6 with only two TOs. It's nice that his impact was actually visible in the box score since usually even though the Lakers seem to have more assists when he's on the floor, those assists aren't often coming directly from him.
It just me or has everything but his shooting improved from his rookie season?

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

quote:

The Misunderstood Genius of Russell Westbrook

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/01/magazine/the-misunderstood-genius-of-russell-westbrook.html

quote:

After the game, Westbrook sat at his locker wearing only a towel, with the veins bulging out of his legs so hard he looked like a map of the human circulatory system. (Joe Sharpe, the Thunder’s head trainer, told me that Westbrook could probably be a bodybuilder if he wanted to.) Slowly, while the media watched in silence, Westbrook started getting dressed. He put on underwear covered with the words “Why Not?” — Westbrook’s personal slogan, which he invokes to justify everything from his fashion choices to his shot selection. (As he tweeted once, apropos of nothing: “WHYNOT?!!! #whynot #whynot”) He pulled on a pair of skinny black jeans, ripped at the knees, then a bright yellow sweatshirt that said, on the front, “Paranormal: Out of the Ordinary.” Over this he put on a denim jacket.

It was, I thought, an interesting outfit.

But there was one more piece, and it was the coup de grâce: Over his jeans, Westbrook pulled on a kilt.

He rubbed some Vaseline on his face and turned to face the media for an official round of questions. As usual, he spoke to the reporters without ever looking at them. It was as if he were being interviewed by the locker-room door, with which he maintained fierce eye contact, with occasional follow-up questions from the ceiling tiles or the carpet.

Why are you wearing a kilt? someone asked.

“Why not?” Westbrook said.

And so began life after Kevin Durant.

Jack's Flow fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Feb 1, 2017

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I enjoy wearing my kilt to the Renaissance Faire and I wish it was publicly acceptable to wear it more often. It's also super good when hiking up mountain trails in Japan in cold weather.

Jeans are some of the most uncomfortable form of pants, though, and it saddens me that Westbrook combines the two. I guess that is just the Thunder player coolness tax.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Jeans are extremely comfortable what ??

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

euphronius posted:

Jeans are extremely comfortable what ??

Skinny jeans are not comfortable. Big ole MJ Mom-jeans are though.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Lockback posted:

This is false

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Oic . That's right. Carry on.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

If you don't think jeans are comfortable then maybe you should buy less lovely jeans

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Lockback posted:

They're comfortable if you wear your raw denims for years until they're baby soft and have all of the right crotch fading

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

The Duggler does not lie.

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.
Pants are awful. Shorts or gtfo.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

I don't know why, but I was just thinking about how much I like the future potential Sixers second unit.

If the first unit is Embiid, Simmons, Covington, (TBD), (TBD)

The second unit would be Noel, Saric, (TBD), TLC, McConnell

Saric and Noel seem to work so well together, and I love the energy of TLC and McConnell. I guess you could put Sauce on that second unit too, so there's a shooter.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

paternity suitor posted:

I don't know why, but I was just thinking about how much I like the future potential Sixers second unit.

Saric and Noel seem to work so well together, and I love the energy of TLC and McConnell. I guess you could put Sauce on that second unit too, so there's a shooter.

Covington is nowhere near a long term solution to a wing starter. Dario is also really, really bad right now and is not really anything other than a long term project/prospect.

e: He is arguably not even a long term bench wing solution.

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Feb 1, 2017

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Cool Buff Man posted:

They're comfortable if you wear your raw denims for years until they're baby soft and have all of the right crotch fading

So they're comfortable if you are first uncomfortable for years? Hot diggity dog, sign me up.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Wearing the same 3 pairs of black jeans for a month is the way to go. Once you break them I you feel like a million bucks. That said, no pants is always a better option when possible.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Chairchucker posted:

So they're comfortable if you are first uncomfortable for years? Hot diggity dog, sign me up.

Beauty is worth it, you clod. Until you have perfect whiskering you haven't lived!

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

paternity suitor posted:

Yeah That second unit is pretty great. Throw Sauce on it and move TLC to the 3.

Covington also has the ability to guard the 2, so you could theoretically draft Isaac/Ntilikina (my dream draft currently) and move Robert and have

Embiid, Simmons, Isaac, Covington, Ntilikina (holy poo poo i'm in love with this lineup's defensive potential. So. Much. Length)
Noel, Saric, TLC, Stauskas, McConnell

e: Ideally you'd want to get a true SG either in free agency or whatever (throw max money at KCP )

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

IcePhoenix posted:

If you don't think jeans are comfortable then maybe you should buy less lovely jeans

The only people who should be wearing denim are longshoremen and cowboys.

Hot take: Westbrook is not good at fashion.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Femur posted:

That's because you are not seeing it from Lebron POV, he is doing his job by pushing for a better team in order to win. Charles is an irresponsible, drunk hypocrite, what does he know about the job of winning?

He is mad that this faker, deigns to question him, The King. That's why Lebron points out how irresponsible Barkley is, to show that he doesn't know the burden of leading and winning, a fake expert; what kinda advice is be happy with what you have, but compete? How is wanting better than what you have not competing? Chuck is a faker, akin to skip Bayless. After all, Chuck was happy with what he had, that's why he now prostates to his king, MJ. happiness is for losers.

This whole thing just reveals the truth. All those jokes about GM lebron, they were fake praise only meant to depower him, like how men think women control the household.

gently caress that noise Lebron. LONG LIVE THE KING.

Son, never go full retard.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

TildeATH posted:

He lost me the moment he started wearing fake glasses.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

[

TildeATH posted:

Hot take: gtfo

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Crazy Ted posted:

It just me or has everything but his shooting improved from his rookie season?

His shooting would be too if he stopped taking those dumb pull up threes

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
Pants are not comfortable, if they were, we would play professional basketball in them.

Case closed.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

This article is hilarious. "Westbrook, when he needs it, has weapons-grade powers of stinkface"

Brolic, you takin notes?

edit

Libertine posted:

Pants are not comfortable, if they were, we would play professional basketball in them.

Case closed.

What's this we, you got an Isaiah Thomas in your pocket or you just glad to post at me

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

The Glumslinger posted:

His shooting would be too if he stopped taking those dumb pull up threes
Can't even blame it on his hair because his shooting hand doesn't go all the way back to his noggin.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

We literally have a poster named PantsFreeZone. That should settle this debate.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

RCarr posted:

On the other hand, that post is forums user PantsFreeZone.

So the debate really rages on.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

RCarr posted:

I don't trust the fashion sense of a man who has his own personal cocaine mountain.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Paul Zuvella posted:

Covington is nowhere near a long term solution to a wing starter. Dario is also really, really bad right now and is not really anything other than a long term project/prospect.

e: He is arguably not even a long term bench wing solution.

I just read an article that posited the exact opposite. Granted, it was on an SB Nation site, but it pointed out that Covington is currently leading the NBA in pass deflections, is 11th in steals per game and is #1 among small forwards in ESPN's NBA Defensive Real Plus-Minus.

Is there no room for premier wing defenders on the Sixers' roster of the future?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

NotWearingPants posted:

I just read an article that posited the exact opposite. Granted, it was on an SB Nation site, but it pointed out that Covington is currently leading the NBA in pass deflections, is 11th in steals per game and is #1 among small forwards in ESPN's NBA Defensive Real Plus-Minus.

Is there no room for premier wing defenders on the Sixers' roster of the future?
No because Joel Embiid will become both a premier wing defender AND block shots at the basket.

He will cover the whole court it is canon

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Covington is a 3 and d guy, legit one of the best perimetet defenders at the wing.

Those don't grow on trees.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

And Dario is playing well when he get consistent minutes.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Basketball shorts are the most comfortable thing you can wear, followed by a nice pair of sweatpants.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

WhyteRyce posted:

Basketball shorts are the most comfortable thing you can wear, followed by a nice pair of sweatpants.

What about those AND1 shorts that are fuzzy like sweatpants..

Did I blow your mind?

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

WhyteRyce posted:

Counterpoint - maxi skirts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Tae posted:

Covington is a 3 and d guy, legit one of the best perimetet defenders at the wing.

Those don't grow on trees.

He, is an awful offensive player. Not only is he a bad offensive player he is a bad offensive player who keeps doing things he is bad at.

Last year he shot 35% from 3. That's... ok. It's not great or anything but its around an acceptable level. He took 7.2 shots per game like this. Mind you the Sixers were dogshit, but that still does not bode well for playing next to a guy like Ben Simmons, who wants to be surrounded by good shooters who take good shots. He turns over the ball quite a lot, he cannot create for himself or his teammates, he's just bad.

Covington is a good wing defender, somewhere between good and very good imo. He has long arms and gums up passing lanes, defends his man well. On top of that he is a decent rebounder for his size and position

The answer is likely, yes, there is probably room for the a wing defender on the sixers roster, but Covington absolutely should not be playing starters minutes, nor should he be gumming up the floor with guys like Ben Simmons and Joel Embiid on the floor.

Like if you told me "Robert Covington is our 8th guy off the bench, and we bring him in during set out of bounds plays to guard the other teams best wing." I'd say, "Hey, that's not too bad, he could do a lot of good like that" but thinking that he is going to be a starter on a successful NBA team that wants to win is a fools errand.

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Feb 1, 2017

• Locked thread