Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Len posted:

I still can't believe there was a time that GW put out stats but no figure. Like didn't they realize that was another $50+ they could have got people to pay willingly?

It was back in a time when the guys writing the books were themselves hobbyists and the goal was to have a complete army list knowing that model support could take years. If they limited themselves to only what could be released with the book, it would just be a handful of units. Most gamers didn't mind so much because kitbashing and scratch built vehicles were a common sight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Those aren't hyper exaggerated?!

Well, they are impossible on a woman that size, and gravity doesn't affect them unnaturally, but they are nevertheless of a size a human could have, and could be held by a woman her size.

When anime get hyper exaggerated boobs, they can get truly hyper exaggerated. The numbness for me is definitely that I'm more bothered by the Male Cow.

WaywardWoodwose posted:

I would love to see an action movie where the Rock reloaded a gun like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHysl3kYOB4&t=1m13s

Wow that's some bad CGI

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Wave Serpent went years without a model.

And even then it was a falcon with an extra sprue.

Troops transport? Why would a faction need to transport their very fragile, expensive elite units?

Wazzu fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Feb 1, 2017

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Atlas Hugged posted:

It was back in a time when the guys writing the books were themselves hobbyists and the goal was to have a complete army list knowing that model support could take years. If they limited themselves to only what could be released with the book, it would just be a handful of units. Most gamers didn't mind so much because kitbashing and scratch built vehicles were a common sight

They only stopped after they lost the lawsuit against Chapterhouse. By all rights they should have won but were terribly incompetent in court.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

WaywardWoodwose posted:

I would love to see an action movie where the Rock reloaded a gun like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHysl3kYOB4&t=1m13s

:drat: also really good.

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

Improbable Lobster posted:

They only stopped after they lost the lawsuit against Chapterhouse. By all rights they should have won but were terribly incompetent in court.

Do you have the full story? Or a link to it? I like hearing about the history behind nerdy things

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

working mom posted:

Do you have the full story? Or a link to it? I like hearing about the history behind nerdy things

One of the old death threads talked about it. Alot.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

working mom posted:

IIRC the short version of it is that GW needed to bring to court a bunch of images of the products that Chapterhouse was allegedly infringing on, and they just straight up didn't.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

PantsOptional posted:

IIRC the short version of it is that GW needed to bring to court a bunch of images of the products that Chapterhouse was allegedly infringing on, and they just straight up didn't.

Is that the lawsuit that ended with them having to change the names of Space Marines and Imperial Guard to something less generic?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

PantsOptional posted:

That's... the most incompetent thing I've heard of in a civil trial.

Well, other than the time John Fogerty was accused of committing copyright infringement against himself.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Len posted:

Is that the lawsuit that ended with them having to change the names of Space Marines and Imperial Guard to something less generic?

They didn't have to do anything, they started changing names on their own to better protect their trademarks.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
GW makes space marines.
Chapterhouse makes shoulder pads that just so happen to fit on GW marines.
GW took them to court for IP infringement.
The court wanted to see evidence/examples of the alleged infringed IP.
GW decided that this was a great opportunity for a sweeping landmark ruling so put in basically their entire back catalogue. All of it.
The court asked "Are you sure you want to do this?"
GW said yes.
The court ruled that vast swathes of GW's IP was generic (Space Marines, Imperial Guard, Dwarves, High Elves etc) and not suitable for copyrighting.
GW decided to start renaming every thing and AoS happened.

working mom
Jul 8, 2015
Oh this was relatively recently? That makes sense then

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I still find it hard to believe the GW got as big as it did while just calling things "Space Marines" and "Elves" while not expecting people to just rip them off wholesale.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Kwyndig posted:

I still find it hard to believe the GW got as big as it did while just calling things "Space Marines" and "Elves" while not expecting people to just rip them off wholesale.

Especially weird since I read that casting your own lead models was a thing back then, with kits specifically made for that. Idk how the Chinese counterfeiting industry was, but it probably had more lucrative things to spend time on compared to counterfeiting the boutique resin industry now.

*curses that there hasn't been a Chinese copy of the 3 cool KDM minis from the first campaign yet, and CMON won't make more*

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Kwyndig posted:

It was because they really did have a competitive edge in sculpting and arguably writing combined with their own stores and print magazine in a pre-internet age. They were far more visible to the average consumer so that was what we bought into. Once momentum started to build they consolidated and swept what competition there was aside(which was probably also ripping off Tolkein but with crappier minis).

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Chill la Chill posted:

Especially weird since I read that casting your own lead models was a thing back then, with kits specifically made for that. Idk how the Chinese counterfeiting industry was, but it probably had more lucrative things to spend time on compared to counterfeiting the boutique resin industry now.

*curses that there hasn't been a Chinese copy of the 3 cool KDM minis from the first campaign yet, and CMON won't make more*

Counterfeiting this stuff requires a means to reach the customer. International shipping direct to Joe public was not so common in the late eighties/early nineties and internet shopping basically didn't exist. Neither did ebay. Plus the Chinese economy was less developed or geared around exports so the bits that were would focus on stuff that actually made money and filled shipping containers.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Kwyndig posted:

That's... the most incompetent thing I've heard of in a civil trial.

Well, other than the time John Fogerty was accused of committing copyright infringement against himself.

Not just incompetent, GW's lawyer was officially rebuked by the judge for unscrupulous behavior. After unsuccessful appeals both parties agreed to drop the case. What was worse for GW was that the judgement was structured that both parties had to pay their own legal fees which was up to mid-six figures for GW while Chapterhouse was represented pro-bono.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Ugleb posted:

Counterfeiting this stuff requires a means to reach the customer. International shipping direct to Joe public was not so common in the late eighties/early nineties and internet shopping basically didn't exist. Neither did ebay. Plus the Chinese economy was less developed or geared around exports so the bits that were would focus on stuff that actually made money and filled shipping containers.

The world was weird and mysterious before I existed. I keep forgetting the internet is really new since I grew up with it.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I grew up with dial up abd pay per megabyte/time spent.

gently caress those days.

GW won by having Space Marines be something other than just simple USMC in Space, which is what many space marines end up being, what with marine part in the name.

For example, Terran Marines in StarCraft: even in fluff they die in droves, like Space Marines do in tabletop. If anything, many of pop cultural space marines are copies of Colonial Marines, which are USMC in the jungles of 'Nam.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Don't forget that GW also went mental and started other spurious lawsuits like claiming sole ownership over the term 'Space Marine' which resulted in them attempting a C&D against a sci fi book called 'Spots the Space Marine'. That went against them and in true Streissand effect fashion sales of the book soared.

It must also be stated for the record that Chapterhouse didn't get away completely scot-free as a number of their models were judged to infringe on GW's IP. Something like 25% of GW's claims were successful iirc.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Chapterhouse was selling a lot of their offbrand models as "Tyranid ______" and "Space Marine _______". That lawsuit should have been an straightforward win but they got greedy and apparently hired an infamously incompetent legal firm.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Improbable Lobster posted:

Chapterhouse was selling a lot of their offbrand models as "Tyranid ______" and "Space Marine _______". That lawsuit should have been an straightforward win but they got greedy and apparently hired an infamously incompetent legal firm.

Didn't Chapterhouse make models for units that had rules but no official model?

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

I think that was basically it. Other companies had started to fill the gaps in GW's range and got too obvious about it. GW did have a case in some respects but overplayed their hand and got burned.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

That's why they stopped printing rules before the models were ready, thus bringing the conversation full circle

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Back in the day, a Blood Angels army could field Death Company with jump packs if the Chaplain was given a jump pack. There were no official models for this, but it was an easy enough conversion. Having not looked at a Blood Angels codex in years, I'm curious how far down the rabbit hole this goes. Would GW not even include an option for a visually distinct unit upgrade if they didn't provide a model for it, or is something minor like that without official model support still included in the books?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Atlas Hugged posted:

Back in the day, a Blood Angels army could field Death Company with jump packs if the Chaplain was given a jump pack. There were no official models for this, but it was an easy enough conversion. Having not looked at a Blood Angels codex in years, I'm curious how far down the rabbit hole this goes. Would GW not even include an option for a visually distinct unit upgrade if they didn't provide a model for it, or is something minor like that without official model support still included in the books?

Well, Tactical Squads can take heavy weapons, but the only way to get most of those is to get the Devastator Squad box. Space Marine Captains can take a bunch of options, but since the model is old the only way to get some wargear for him is to go to one of the other boxes available for things like grav pistols or most combi-weapons. You also can take a Librarian on a bike but there's no model for that, you'd have to convert your own. There's a few instances like that around the armies but that's just what comes to mind right this moment.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Chill la Chill posted:

The world was weird and mysterious before I existed. I keep forgetting the internet is really new since I grew up with it.

jesus how young are you???

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Moola posted:

jesus how young are you???

I got reliable dial up back in... I think it was 1995. Amazon wasn't a thing yet but you could still shop online and read about nerd stuff.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

I think there's a new captain that comes with all of the poo poo. Tacticals still need to raid Devastator boxes (5 dudes per box, but not at 50% price of a Tac box) for the grav cannon to suplement their grav guns. Most everyone else comes with grav in the box.

Grav grav grav

I hate it so hard

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Or you could always play with friends who don't care about WYSIWYG and laugh at GW fans who don't play casual games like that.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid

Atlas Hugged posted:

Ask a Tyranid player.

E: IIRC, every single unit that didn't have a model by the time the last codex arrived, was simply deleted from the list.

Not a viking fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Feb 2, 2017

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

JcDent posted:

I think there's a new captain that comes with all of the poo poo. Tacticals still need to raid Devastator boxes (5 dudes per box, but not at 50% price of a Tac box) for the grav cannon to suplement their grav guns. Most everyone else comes with grav in the box.

Grav grav grav

I hate it so hard

Naw, the new Captain is a clampack dude with no weapon options, just a combi-grav and a sword, and he's eerily similar to the Assault on Black Reach Captain model. He's okay.

Len posted:

Or you could always play with friends who don't care about WYSIWYG and laugh at GW fans who don't play casual games like that.

It helps for clarity's sake - when one dude has a flamer, but this dude who is also holding a flamer actually has a plasma gun, it makes a strong case for WYSIWYG.

SRM fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Feb 2, 2017

JcDent
May 13, 2013

SRM posted:

Naw, the new Captain is a clampack dude with no weapon options, just a combi-grav and a sword, and he's eerily similar to the Assault on Black Reach Captain model. He's okay.

Are we talking abou the same space barbie? Because the SM commander comes in a regular rear end box that lists all the amazing bitz that you can put on him.

I don't much care for WYSIWYG as I play infinity, I just hate grav, the current 40k meta and 40k rules et al.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

JcDent posted:

I don't much care for WYSIWYG as I play infinity
You. You're what's wrong with the hobby nowadays.

*shoves a pile of CCW-proxies under the table*

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

JcDent posted:

Are we talking abou the same space barbie? Because the SM commander comes in a regular rear end box that lists all the amazing bitz that you can put on him.

I don't much care for WYSIWYG as I play infinity, I just hate grav, the current 40k meta and 40k rules et al.

Two different kits. The new-new Space Marine Captain is a single clampacked mini that doesn't come with many wargear options - he has a power sword and a combi-grav and options for a bare/helmeted head and that's it, but he's pretty drat well sculpted:

Meanwhile, the slightly-older-but-new Space Marine Force Commander kit is a little box with two sprues full of all sorts of interesting bits that are also compatible with the rest of the plastic Marine range, so you can get some pretty unique combos:

Edit: Of course, the new clam pack also costs £24 when you compare it to £14 for the old kit.

Drake_263 fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Feb 2, 2017

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Haha is the boxed kit not available any more? That would not surprise me.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

TTerrible posted:

Haha is the boxed kit not available any more? That would not surprise me.

They still sell it.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Oh thats cool. I picked one up years ago and never got around to building it as I always used a librarian for my HQ. I don't play 40k any more so I wondered if I could get sweet ebay bucks.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Wow, I accidentally bought two of the clampack marines with boring heads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Not just incompetent, GW's lawyer was officially rebuked by the judge for unscrupulous behavior. After unsuccessful appeals both parties agreed to drop the case. What was worse for GW was that the judgement was structured that both parties had to pay their own legal fees which was up to mid-six figures for GW while Chapterhouse was represented pro-bono.
I'm pretty sure, Chapterhouse agreed to take GW's out of court settlement after the owner of Chapterhouse was going to be homeless due to a lean GW put on his house.