Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
https://twitter.com/SovietSergey/status/826161213285490688

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKk-3OrgPAg

Those ain't BM-21's

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Trump just needs to call every day to keep casualties low.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I've been getting the hottest satellite imagery, so we've put some posts together about recent activity in Ukraine with some lovely sat imagery to go with it
https://medium.com/@DFRLab/weekend-of-fighting-in-eastern-ukraine-3696042720f1#.4qyzjzlma

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
There a version of this showing a longer timespan than just the week? Would be more useful as proof that the call and the spike have a causal relation.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

So what has Putin done since Trump took office last week? Isn't his country teetering on the brink of internal strife between different elites while the economy continues to crash?

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Grouchio posted:

So what has Putin done since Trump took office last week? Isn't his country teetering on the brink of internal strife between different elites while the economy continues to crash?

He's been violating the Minsk agreement in Ukraine more every day. And I don't think there's much in the way of internal strife (I could be wrong about that) and all the oligarchs are probably feeling pretty optimistic that the sanctions will soon be lifted by comrade trump.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Charliegrs posted:

He's been violating the Minsk agreement in Ukraine more every day. And I don't think there's much in the way of internal strife (I could be wrong about that) and all the oligarchs are probably feeling pretty optimistic that the sanctions will soon be lifted by comrade trump.

I think they'll be disappointed. Even if comrade Trump can lift them unilaterally I was reading that congress can vote to reinstate them. With the Repubs needing all their senators on board to get anything done they can't afford to antagonize the Russia haters (McCain, Graham, Rubio) by letting Russia off the hook.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.
Sort of Eastern Europe related: http://yle.fi/uutiset/osasto/news/yle_defence_forces_applying_restrictions_to_russian-finnish_dual_citizens_in_armed_service/9434289

Basically, apparently the Finnish Defence Forces have a secret practice of restricting access to certain jobs to Finnish-Russian dual citizens. It's probably a secret unofficial policy because actually having it on the books would go against Finnish law (the law does determine a number of government positions which you have to be a Finnish citizen to hold, but dual citizenship is not an obstacle in any of those cases) and probably part of greater anxiety in Finland about an increasingly aggressive Russia, and there's definitely an undercurrent of fear in Finland that Russia might decide to go on a crazy Baltic-Finnic adventure at some point.

There's actually an actual law in the works to the same effect (i.e. banning all dual citizens from working within the Defence Forces), and our Defence Minister has already defended it: http://yle.fi/uutiset/osasto/news/defence_minister_weighty_reasons_to_close_professional_military_positions_to_dual_nationals/9434718

I can't speak for my fellow Finns, but I feel that this is a really dumb move: not only is the reaction of the Russian media going to be really predictable ("Look at how those Finnish homofascists are are oppressing our fellow Russians!") it just feels that the fears it's supposed to address (i.e. Russian agents infiltrating our military and selling our government secrets to Putin) could be better addressed with improved security measures during the hiring process. A blanket ban on dual citizens working in the Defence Forces not only seems discriminatory and is bound to actually cause more grievances among the populations it affects. The better way to determine if someone is a viable candidate for the position in the Defence Forces is not to simply look at their record and say "Nope, this guy is also a Russian citizen, and you know you can never trust those Russians" but maybe looking deeper at what you can find on them and going "Hey, so maybe this guy is not the best fit for this job because he's a huge Putin fan who wants to return Russia to its imperial borders."

I mean, at least to my limited understanding Finnish-Russian dual citizens aren't actually Putin's biggest fans in general (although if I'm wrong I'd be happy to be corrected) and even if they were I'm sure the Defence Forces have ways of finding out whether their Finnish-Russian applicant is in favor of once again turning Finland into a Grand Duchy of Russia. I don't know if I'm just hopelessly naive, but I just feel that such a policy would actually do more harm than good to Finland.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
From a defense point of view it makes perfect sense to restrict some positions, it would be naive to think that our beloved neighbour doesn't try to use dual citizens to pry military secrets. Not in the form of a fifth column like in Ukraine but there are ways. Oh well, I guess FSB will have to tell their agents to give up their Russian passport now? From an equality point of view this kind of blanket restriction is more problematic and I fear it could disillusion some patriotic dual citizens who have no connection to Russia than having some family ties there and otherwise would zealously defend their country.

But I appreciate the irony that our republic's army was formed 99 years ago by a Russian dandy C.G.E. Mannerheim and other Tsarist generals

Double irony comes from how our irreplaceable military intelligence chief during WW2 Aladar Paasonen was half Hungarian and our recent and EU's current milintel chief Georgij Alafuzoff is half Russian

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

My take is that it isn't meant for discrimination, since the current policy shure as poo poo don't care where you were born. It cares about what countries you are nominally a member of aka what crazy despot you are technically a subject of. That matters (to traditionalistic minded folks, ie. 'a thing' in the army) because​ of 'duty to fight and die for your country'. Finland still has conscription mind you and that duty is the entire argument why that is ok.
So my take, again, is that if you're gonna fight for that country in a more exalted capacity, officers want you to renounce any citizenship but Finnish.

Because of old nationalistic ideas of what citizenship is.

They don't give two fucks how you were born, but have a hard on for technicalities. It's the army.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.

quote:

Romania's government decriminalized official misconduct overnight Wednesday, defying mass protests and warnings from prosecutors and the president that the move will reverse the country's fight against corruption.

An emergency ordinance decriminalizing abuse in office was published at 3 a.m. in the official government monitor and will soon automatically become law.

Basically, despite there having been the biggest street protest in the last 27 years, these motherfucking thug pigs literally decriminalized any abuse of office that resulted in damages of less than 200k lei (about 50k Euros). Guess why that is - well, you don't have to, I'll tell ya: among others, Liviu Dragnea, head of the majority party PSD, was unable to become prime minister because in April 2016 he received a two-year suspended jail sentence for vote rigging. On Tuesday, he went on trial for abuse of power while he was president of the Teleorman local council from 2006 to 2012. His damages come neatly at just under 200k lei, so all he gets is a slap on the wrist. And along with him thousands of corrupt officials. They basically modified the criminal code to get scot free.

12,000 people protested yesterday in front of the Government building - the bastards had to leave out the back door.

Around 100,000 people are expected to completely paralyze Bucharest tonight protesting in front of said govt building.

I did my small part in my hometown - around 150 people in a 150,000 population town, but hey - solidarity.

Everyone I know is just dumbfounded by the sheer gall of these bastards, and I fear protests will turn violent.

The opposition party today in parliament, yelling "thieves" at the party in power. First time in recent memory this has happened.

Protesters trying to break the police barrier and get inside the gov't:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dM7CdZvLpZI

Basically, the big thing here is that PSD, the leading (unfortunately) party, is very Russian-leaning, and this absolutely dumbfounding and idiotic move to encourage corruption threatens to poo poo all over Romania's credibility in the EU (which is already super low) and veer us away from NATO and the US.

1000 people are expected to attend the protest tonight in my hometown. It's really just a show of solidarity, what is really important is how many people will take to the street tonight in Bucharest, and if they'll try to take the government building by storm.

Everyone's talking about a revolution, and while that's happened before and we've all kind of said "yeah, right", this might actually be the beginning of a genuine one.

I'm leaving for the protest in an hour or so.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
Godspeed, people of Romania

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Romania looking more like Carthagania right now.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
And they were doing so well :(

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
Right, got my two pairs of long underwear and 3 (three) pairs of wool socks on; yesterday night it was -11 Celsius. Gonna go literally yell at some walls now. Keep your fingers crossed for Romania.

Zak2k12
Dec 23, 2008

"I looked back once to the empty place where my dream had come true. Such is the stuff."
Romanian here, protesting for the second day in a row.

Here's an article if you're not up to speed:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/feb/01/romanians-protests-emergency-law-prisoner-pardons-corruption

They passed off the government ordinance at 10 pm last night, hoping nobody would notice, but ten thousand people came out instantly. I stayed out until 2 am to protest in front of the government, and I'm going out again this evening. I hope more people show up, but I think we are kinda hosed. We are an apathetic people ruled by thieves and idiots, but some of us still hope we'll wake up some day.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
Good luck to both of you. Words don't mean much, but still.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Zak2k12 posted:

Romanian here, protesting for the second day in a row.

Here's an article if you're not up to speed:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/feb/01/romanians-protests-emergency-law-prisoner-pardons-corruption

They passed off the government ordinance at 10 pm last night, hoping nobody would notice, but ten thousand people came out instantly. I stayed out until 2 am to protest in front of the government, and I'm going out again this evening. I hope more people show up, but I think we are kinda hosed. We are an apathetic people ruled by thieves and idiots, but some of us still hope we'll wake up some day.

Didn't you guys drag your president out of his office and shoot him in the street a few years ago? What happened to those Romanians?

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

I wish people from around here cared more and protested more against corruption. Oh well... all quiet on the eastern front. I hope you will succeed, Romanians.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

spacetoaster posted:

Didn't you guys drag your president out of his office and shoot him in the street a few years ago? What happened to those Romanians?
The rest of the leadership had him dragged out and shot him along with his wife, said they been with the revolution all along, and continued in their job like the revolution never happened.

Rincewinds fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Feb 1, 2017

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Weird: Russia decided to start guarding border with Belarus.
https://meduza.io/news/2017/02/01/rossiya-ustanovila-pogranichnuyu-zonu-na-granitse-s-belorussiey

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Charliegrs posted:

US sanctions aren't hurting Russia too much, it's the EU sanctions that are painful. And whatever Trump might belive, he doesn't have the power to lift EU sanctions on his own.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Torrannor posted:

US sanctions aren't hurting Russia too much, it's the EU sanctions that are painful. And whatever Trump might belive, he doesn't have the power to lift EU sanctions on his own.

There are only a handful of EU countries that are willing to go against Washington's orders, and sanctions need unanimous agreement to continue, so he basically actually has that power.

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Feb 1, 2017

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Ukraine statistics from today: 36 attacks against UA, 2 dead, 6 wounded soldiers. St least one civilian I've seen reported dead on the government controlled side.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
Just got home from protesting. Yesterday we were 150. Today, 6000 out of a 150,000 town.

150,000 people in Bucharest, completely paralyzing downtown.

All cool and good until paid soccer ultras showed up and attacked the govt forces. Peaceful people retreated, protest got hosed. Paid Dynamo Bucharest ultras. Dynamo's owners stand to gain from the new criminal code - that is, get off scot free for corruption offenses.

My point being, gently caress soccer and organized supporter groups and hooligans forever. There were people with kids in strollers, dogs, preteens.

Obvious instigators - tens of thousands of protesters in all other major cities, zero incidents.

More than 300k people protested tonight, and more and more will everyday.

Fingers crossed, Romania.

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat
Which of the French presidential candidates, if any, is least bad for Eastern Europe? Or are they all against sanctions and their actual differences are in other policy areas?

a podcast for cats fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Feb 1, 2017

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I feel like I'm going to need more information on the current shitshow in Romania. Was there ever a time since the cold war that the country's prospects looked good?

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.

Grouchio posted:

I feel like I'm going to need more information on the current shitshow in Romania. Was there ever a time since the cold war that the country's prospects looked good?

Actually, yes. Economy was starting to go pretty well, country became more and more westernized. Big problem is, a huge percentage of the youth just straight up moved west way before all this, in order to actually get decent pay, be them intellectuals or simple workers, leaving behind suckers like myself and a huge population of pensioneers.

One working person supports 3 pensioneers in Romania, and pensions are so poo poo that old people were tricked into massively voting the PSD shitheels into offfice for a measly 20-30$ extra per month. Granted, when I say poo poo pensions I mean poo poo - national average is $220. Yes, you read that right.

Basically what is happening now is young people taking on a corrupt clique voted in by their own parents and grandparents. The majority of my friends are in this situation. It's old vs new, East vs West, Russia vs Nato/EU.

Look, poo poo is hosed up if we look around us. Ukraine's hosed. Poland too. Hungary is so pro-Russian it aint even funny. Moldova... RIP. It really feels like we're on the edge here, like we're one of the last bastions of resistance against the ever greedy Russian bear and its endemic hosed up corrupt ways.

Poverty might have tricked the older generation into giving in to what is for all intents and purposes the mafia, but the young won't go down without a fight. It's ten days until the amnisty thing becomes the law of the land, ten days to somehow reverse this bullshit. That means ten days of protesting and not giving in. Something's got to loving give. It's got to.

Shout to all my Romanian goons protesting out there, don't give in, stay non violent, see you on the streets. Every drat night.

Zak2k12
Dec 23, 2008

"I looked back once to the empty place where my dream had come true. Such is the stuff."
I was in downtown Bucharest protesting until 23:00. The turnout was amazing overall, 150.000 came out.

Too bad about the football hooligans who came and messed things up towards the end. We had to leave when the tear gas used against them flooded the entire square. We'll be back tomorrow and I hope more people show up and it stays non violent.

Mr Underhill posted:

Shout to all my Romanian goons protesting out there, don't give in, stay non violent, see you on the streets. Every drat night.
Thank you and stay strong.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Zak2k12 posted:

I was in downtown Bucharest protesting until 23:00. The turnout was amazing overall, 150.000 came out.

Too bad about the football hooligans who came and messed things up towards the end. We had to leave when the tear gas used against them flooded the entire square. We'll be back tomorrow and I hope more people show up and it stays non violent.

Thank you and stay strong.

Good luck to all of you!

:thermidor:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Tonton Macoute posted:

Which of the French presidential candidates, if any, is least bad for Eastern Europe? Or are they all against sanctions and their actual differences are in other policy areas?

There are three that are especially bad because they will side with Putin: Fillon, Le Pen, and Mélenchon. The others, I'm not expecting a foreign policy change from them.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Grouchio posted:

I was just there for a month or so and everything was looking great. Homes were quite modern, the roads were pretty drat good, and everyone was busy with work/jobs during the day.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Cat Mattress posted:

There are three that are especially bad because they will side with Putin: Fillon, Le Pen, and Mélenchon. The others, I'm not expecting a foreign policy change from them.

So not Macron? Any idea of chances of Fillon getting replaced?

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
Yup, this was Bucharest last night. Proud of you, bros!

This was my hometown of Tirgu Mures. 6000 people out of 150,000 on the streets.

And everything was made even better by being peacefully watched over by officer Lovely here for a couple of hours.

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Batka has been making disapproving noises about Russia's invasion of the Donbas for a while now, he's clearly terrified of getting Anchlussed.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.
Apparently the massive protests in Romania have had some effect: the minister of business, trade and entrepreneurship Florin Jianu has resigned: http://www.reuters.com/article/us-romania-government-protests-idUSKBN15H0P9

e: And apparently the president is taking the proposed law that sparked these protests into constitutional court. I'm starting to get more hopeful that things might turn out alright.

Ratpick fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Feb 2, 2017

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Good luck Romanian Goons!

Poland is so hosed I won't even bother posting details.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

OddObserver posted:

So not Macron? Any idea of chances of Fillon getting replaced?
Fillon has been engulfed in a major scandal after it was revealed he handed his wife and two children fake jobs with massive salaries at the taxpayers' expense. General opinion is that he's going to get replace, but this is unprecedented so close to an election and anything could happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

alex314 posted:

Good luck Romanian Goons!

Poland is so hosed I won't even bother posting details.

You don't have to, we know how bad it is :(