Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
ham

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
I think my favorite thing in hbomberguy videos is when he sees or hears something too stupid to even engage with and he just loses his poo poo and starts laughing.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

That's Chapo.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Hooting at Ezra Levant being put on the same level as XxDarkSmartmanofBabylonxX.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS

Lurdiak posted:

That's Chapo.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
My dad's been watching The Young Pope.

Mom: "Who's that guy?"
Dad (whispering): "That's Vatican Greg."

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Vatican Greg sounds like a character from a pulpy crime novel.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Admins please change my name to Vatican Greg.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvhYqeGp_Do

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
That's Vatican Chad, he's alpha and cucks everyone

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

I watched Belly on Netflix today. Let me just say, Belly owns.

Belly is incredible, unfinished or no.

ruddiger posted:

Belly starts off amazing but the ending is pretty forgettable. From what I heard, Hype Williams was one of Kubrick's favorite cinematographers, and looking at Belly, I can see why.

And oh my Lordy there is no one finer than Taral Hicks in this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvtQYsckLxk

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

CPL593H posted:

Tapes are fantastic if you like music to sound like it's underwater.

uh yeah of course I do. who doesn't like this?

the cool thing about physical media is specifically that it degrades over time.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

uh yeah of course I do. who doesn't like this?

the cool thing about physical media is specifically that it degrades over time.

Lo-fi is a legitimate aesthetic.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Lo-fi is a legitimate aesthetic.

nobody thinks those '90s Guided by Voices albums would be better if they didn't sound like they were recorded on a beat-up four track.

the coolest part is when a tape just disintegrates completely and starts making spooky ghost noises. my copy of Fables of the Reconstruction by R.E.M. did this real well.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
The Basinski Disintegration Loops are a great use of tape degradation:

https://youtu.be/ObdZ8lhC0f0

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

LesterGroans posted:

Oh poo poo, Hbomberguy might be on Chapo.

Is this for real?

And why did a bunch of people start listing types of food not long after that post? I don't know what's going on.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Budgie Jumping posted:

Is this for real?

https://twitter.com/byyourlogic/status/826682855312998400

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Eyyyy get it Hbomberguy.

Still don't get the food posts though.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Oh poo poo.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
https://twitter.com/duneauthor/status/826641857400565760

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

I'll only believe a new Dune movie exists when I see it. I might not even believe it then.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
On the one hand this sounds really exciting, but on the other I don't want to have Villeneuve forever hired to do sci-fi book adaptations and sequels.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Last night I cracked open Judge Dredd Case Files 11 (thank u Jenny), and the first story ends with Dredd literally eating a ratburger.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Rock hard

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I've been trying to figure out what ghoul Mitch McConnell reminds me of for years and today it finally hit me:

Mason Verger

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

CPL593H posted:

I think my favorite thing in hbomberguy videos is when he sees or hears something too stupid to even engage with and he just loses his poo poo and starts laughing.

That's my least favorite thing as (as he notes himself) it sounds extremely forced.

That said, he does good work.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Dissapointed Owl posted:

That's my least favorite thing as (as he notes himself) it sounds extremely forced.

That said, he does good work.

I dunno, when he does it in his measured responses I think it works really well. The moment he notices the omnipresent skull is top 3 Hbomb moments imo

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

weekly font posted:

I've been trying to figure out what ghoul Mitch McConnell reminds me of for years and today it finally hit me:

Mason Verger

The President of the Turtle Club

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

The President of the Turtle Club

I guaran loving tee you that Mitch was too busy thinking about war to hold a moment of silence when 9/11 happened.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I wonder if this will be some sort of expanded universe Dune, or whatever.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Honest Thief posted:

I wonder if this will be some sort of expanded universe Dune, or whatever.

that's the sense I'm getting and I really hope not.

Villeneuve is a really good fit for Dune though, I'm getting franchise fatigue as much as anybody (I still can't get at all hyped for Villeneuve's Blade Runner), but I can't help but be a little psyched for this. Give Refn the sequel.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

ruddiger posted:

Belly starts off amazing but the ending is pretty forgettable. From what I heard, Hype Williams was one of Kubrick's favorite cinematographers, and looking at Belly, I can see why.

And oh my Lordy there is no one finer than Taral Hicks in this

Belly's biggest problem is that the gangster lifestyle is shown as so incredibly sexy and alluring that it's difficult to make leaving it all behind look attractive. The plot and the visual storytelling start diverging so hard near the end that the movie starts unraveling. That's not as big of a knock as it seems like, though, because the confusion sort of mirrors the internal struggles of the protagonists. I don't think it really wraps up as cleanly as it could have, but it's a hell of a ride right up until the final seconds. Just so watchable.

Belly is incredible, unfinished or no.
I got the feeling that some things were missing from the resolution, but did something happen that prevented Hype Williams from really finishing it?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Same thing that always happens: he ran out of money.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I always thought DMX outshined NAS, maybe it's just the character, but DMX played the part of a violent, unstable man really well.. oh right

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

that's the sense I'm getting and I really hope not.

Villeneuve is a really good fit for Dune though, I'm getting franchise fatigue as much as anybody (I still can't get at all hyped for Villeneuve's Blade Runner), but I can't help but be a little psyched for this. Give Refn the sequel.

There's books to sell man, what else you going to do with your money?

Honest Thief fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Feb 1, 2017

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Same thing that always happens: he ran out of money.

Ah yeah, should have guessed it.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Give Refn the sequel.

mbisonyes

e: reminds me I still need to watch Valhalla Rising

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Feb 1, 2017

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

mbisonyes

e: reminds me I still need to watch Valhalla Rising

It's not my favorite Refn but it's definitely good. Pretty much demands you get stoned before watching it more than any of his other movies.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

It's not my favorite Refn but it's definitely good. Pretty much demands you get stoned before watching it more than any of his other movies.

This is a good note to have. I'll be sure to be at appropriate levels.

What's your fav Refn? Only God Forgives continues to reign supreme in mine, but Bronson, Pusher, and Neon certainly make for a extremely close ranking. He's so loving good.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

This is a good note to have. I'll be sure to be at appropriate levels.

What's your fav Refn? Only God Forgives continues to reign supreme in mine, but Bronson, Pusher, and Neon certainly make for a extremely close ranking. He's so loving good.

I gotta be honest and say it's still Drive with the Pusher trilogy as a close second. I haven't disliked any of his movies, but Drive just has the best screenplay of any of his by far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

INT. Safehouse - Night.

The safehouse is located in a rundown tenement. A haze of cigarette smoke and dust fills the air. The apartment is cluttered and dark safe for a single bare bulb and the flickering neon light outside the window. Four men are gathered around a wobbly and worn table that is covered in blueprints, photographs and messily scrawled notes. HOWARD HOLT mid 30s and ruggedly handsome carefully examines a street map and draws circles and arrows in appropriate places.

Holt
Here's how it's going down.

He takes a long drag on a cigarillo.

Holt
Gibbs, at 14:00 you make a call to the cops from the payphone on 42nd street. You tell them someone is holding up an armored car on Broadway but don't tell them which one.

TOMMY GIBBS, a black man in his early 20s with the mannerisms and clothes of an aristocrat, nods his head.

Holt
Plogojowitz, you need to get the guns and meet us in the parking lot on Fulton Street at 14:30.

PETER PLOGOJOWITZ, a bloated man with ruddy skin, watery eyes, and a huge cigar in his mouth, gives a thumbs up.

Holt
Old Bill, you pick pick up our safecracker, Vatican Greg from his place and meet the rest of us in the parking lot.

OLD BILL, a ragged old man with an eyepatch and a face that is more scar than tissue, smiles with his few remaining teeth.

Peter
What sort of name is Vatican Greg?

Holt
A nickname.

Old Bill
Why "Vatican Greg" though?

Holt
I don't know, why did they call Capone "Scarface"?

Gibbs
Because he had a scar on his face.

Peter
I doubt Greg has a Vatican on his face.

Old Bill
I heard he once shot a prophylactic machine seven times in a fit of rage so they called him Vatican Greg on account of the Papists being known to dislike rubbers.

Gibbs
I heard he once raided the city hall in Dayton, Ohio and tried to make it it's own city state. I assume he had some sort of theocratic angle going since he ain't Luxembourg Greg or San Marino Greg.

Old Bill
Already is a Luxembourg Greg, he's a loanshark up in Corprus Chri-.

The doors BURST open. VATICAN GREG stumbles in wearing full papal regalia swinging a lit censer around like a flail.

Vatican Greg
Ave Maria, gratia plena. Dominus tecum. Benedicta tu in mulieribus!

Holt (whispering)
That's Vatican Greg

• Locked thread