Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aquarium of Lies
Feb 5, 2005

sad cutie
:justtrans:

she/her
Taco Defender

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

if you can't afford to save $20k, you can't afford your current lifestyle. full stop. start making cuts.

you are broke. if anything goes wrong in your life you could literally end up homeless.

there's a lot of people who can't save $20k and have nothing more to cut. idk lmo's budget or anything but she seems smart enough to budget and I don't see a point in going "you're doing it wrong" based on her posts complaining about debt?? I get annoyed when people try to explain finance to poor people though

is there a term for that, like with mansplain? cause I see it a lot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Aquarium of Lies posted:

there's a lot of people who can't save $20k and have nothing more to cut. idk lmo's budget or anything but she seems smart enough to budget and I don't see a point in going "you're doing it wrong" based on her posts complaining about debt?? I get annoyed when people try to explain finance to poor people though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJoBUBYs0N8

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Aquarium of Lies posted:

lmo isn't poor.

she's gainfully employed in a lucrative occupation

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
touching computers for money is, by and large, a pretty good deal.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
poorsplain i suppose

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

lmo isn't poor.

she's gainfully employed in a lucrative occupation

im functionally poor. sorry i came in to this with more baggage than you apparently did?

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

if you touch computers and can't save 20k you are Bad With Money™

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Cold on a Cob posted:

i wonder who has the highest net worth in yospos. is threefive still around or did he finally ragequit forever?

can't remember his name now the magnets guy he's fairly high up in Facebook so I imagine the equity has treated him well

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

im functionally poor. sorry i came in to this with more baggage than you apparently did?

mishaq posted:

if you touch computers and can't save 20k you are Bad With Money™

wrong take-aways

the intended message is that you absolutely can save $20k, and you definitely should strive to have several months of wages in the bank, even if it means you're not chipping away at the debt at a reasonable speed, or you can't do as many cool things as you'd like

get savings first, deal with other money poo poo later

having an emergency fund is important

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

i used to think that because i was cheap and because i grew up on canned goods that i knew how to handle money

holy poo poo this is not true

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Rex-Goliath posted:

can't remember his name now the magnets guy he's fairly high up in Facebook so I imagine the equity has treated him well

is that subjunctive? because he left facebook last year afaik but i didnt stalk him to find out what hes doing now.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
also how big can the minimum really be on $75k in debt?

at 9% interest, paying it off in 120 months, that works out to $950 a month.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

also how big can the minimum really be on $75k in debt?

at 9% interest, paying it off in 120 months, that works out to $950 a month.

it's across 4 loans and it's also the personal loan i took out to consolidate all the credit cards i racked up feeding myself for 5 years of college. even working 4 jobs it was really hard to make rent, pay my bills, eat, and go to school :(

we really are trying to save, it's just hard to balance with keeping up with everything else. this is the first year we've had net savings but it's not really long-term savings since we need about 40k total for both IVF and GCS since our health insurance won't cover it. the price of being a queer in the us of a.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Shaggar posted:

Learn this one weird trick to get your finances in order! Creditors hate this!!!!

Unironically this. Is your household grosses 50k or more, and you can't save 20k over a few years, you aren't poor, you are poo poo with money.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

is that subjunctive? because he left facebook last year afaik but i didnt stalk him to find out what hes doing now.

yes! i knew it started with an 's' but 'sagebrush' was all my brain was offering up

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

not gonna comment on your financial situation but i will reiterate the absolute need to have a nest egg. fortunately i learned that lesson the hard way when i was still really young and crashing on a friends couch with nothing to eat but rice & beans for several months wasn't too big a deal.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

wrong take-aways

the intended message is that you absolutely can save $20k, and you definitely should strive to have several months of wages in the bank, even if it means you're not chipping away at the debt at a reasonable speed, or you can't do as many cool things as you'd like

get savings first, deal with other money poo poo later

having an emergency fund is important

surely its more financially efficient to buy some sort of unemployment / financial emergency insurance and use the money for the debt. you can cancel it and actually save the money later

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

it's across 4 loans and it's also the personal loan i took out to consolidate all the credit cards i racked up feeding myself for 5 years of college. even working 4 jobs it was really hard to make rent, pay my bills, eat, and go to school :(

we really are trying to save, it's just hard to balance with keeping up with everything else. this is the first year we've had net savings but it's not really long-term savings since we need about 40k total for both IVF and GCS since our health insurance won't cover it. the price of being a queer in the us of a.

ivf = in vitro fertilization?

what's gcs?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Cold on a Cob posted:

what's gcs?

genetic cancer susceptibility (testing)

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Cold on a Cob posted:

what's gcs?

gender confirmation surgery: aka the thing i have to get so my lovely state won't send me to a men's jail if i'm ever in trouble.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
ah, ok

i'm not saying you shouldn't do those things but how young are you and can you put these things off until you have a few months $ put away? homeless people are a lot more likely to end up in jail :(

question is rhetorical you don't have to answer just saying maybe think about it

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
offer letter in hand, $7k bump on my current base. :c00l:

walking away from a very aggressive bonus structure designed to keep me here but gently caress this place, my boss is a loving moron and I'm tired of being The Guy for drat near everything.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
I should probably have expected that my relocation bonus would have been taxed in hindsight

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

there's too many technical interview guides, books, websites, courses (well, algorithms and data structures ones), etc. out there. Choose one for me

Aquarium of Lies
Feb 5, 2005

sad cutie
:justtrans:

she/her
Taco Defender
I've heard good things about cracking the coding interview from friends, but haven't used it myself

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Aquarium of Lies posted:

I've heard good things about cracking the coding interview from friends, but haven't used it myself

it's a great source of practice problems if you have comp sci fundamentals down. if you don't, start somewhere else. it doesn't cover things in enough detail to actually fill in knowledge gaps imo.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I've been working for 17 months now and pretty much have enough to pay off the last year of my mum's mortgage for her and have enough left for a 10℅ deposit on any place that I could afford a mortgage on. My plan is to move out in a few months, but I know I'll get promoted this time year so don't know it's worth doing another year of saving and then skidaddle when my salary is higher

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
save as much money as you can and live cheap for as long as you can

not a day goes by when i don't wish i could redo my 20s and save more

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
subscribe to the pillow pants budgeting service

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Cold on a Cob posted:

save as much money as you can and live cheap for as long as you can

not a day goes by when i don't wish i could redo my 20s and save more

same. i'm pretty sure just having a dog while still renting cost us at least 20k in extra rent costs over 4 years because of needing a yard and all.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

I like dogs

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

BONGHITZ posted:

I like dogs

they're ok but holy poo poo don't get one if you're renting.

Ochowie
Nov 9, 2007

dragon enthusiast posted:

I should probably have expected that my relocation bonus would have been taxed in hindsight

Most relocation packages (including cash awards) are usually tax trued up basis so it should have no tax implication. Sorry your company sucks?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
saving money is good, a++ i recommend getting paid deece figgies for computer touching and then saving half of them

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
subjunctive is a VC now (in canada I think) that spends a lot of time countering peoples (honestly misinformed) opinions on how some VCs do business in the D&D tech thread

ive reached a strange point in looking over resumes now where I can pick up on the possibility of someone being mormon, which seems like a really weird pattern to notice :shrug:

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

:pwn:

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

lancemantis posted:

subjunctive is a VC now (in canada I think) that spends a lot of time countering peoples (honestly misinformed) opinions on how some VCs do business in the D&D tech thread

ive reached a strange point in looking over resumes now where I can pick up on the possibility of someone being mormon, which seems like a really weird pattern to notice :shrug:

if they mention being an eagle scout on their resume, bingo

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Progressive JPEG posted:

if they mention being an eagle scout on their resume, bingo

its this, plus going to school or having lived in utah (BYU is kind of cheating), mentioning missionary work

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

The office usually closes for like 4 days at Christmas, sometimes it's given as bonus holiday time and sometimes you have to take is holiday/unpaid time.

Several people were in a panic over potentially having to give up 4 days worth of pay, like how tight is that budget

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

DuckConference posted:

The office usually closes for like 4 days at Christmas, sometimes it's given as bonus holiday time and sometimes you have to take is holiday/unpaid time.

Several people were in a panic over potentially having to give up 4 days worth of pay, like how tight is that budget

man my place basically shut the gently caress down from the week of the 12/19 until 1/9

the office was desolate, no changes were pushed, only emergency break fix stuff happened

• Locked thread