Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I gotta go with Drive. Just like Blue Velvet, an experimental director reigning in for an expertly crafted yet straightforward crime flick just makes for great cinema.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

please critique my script. That's page 1 one of 164.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I don't get the pushback against Drive the movie - it's still Refn's best.

I do understand the pushback against doughy nerds who buy the jacket and think they look cool.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I gotta be honest and say it's still Drive with the Pusher trilogy as a close second. I haven't disliked any of his movies, but Drive just has the best screenplay of any of his by far.

Yeah, I've yet to dislike any of his movies, and picking a favorite by him is a super tight grouping. A photo finish with a bunch of cars vying for 1st.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

weekly font posted:

I don't get the pushback against Drive the movie - it's still Refn's best.

I don't even know if I've seen any pushback, but it does feel like the "easy" choice and it's definitely his most accessible.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

Belly's biggest problem is that the gangster lifestyle is shown as so incredibly sexy and alluring that it's difficult to make leaving it all behind look attractive. H

Haven't seen Belly, but Scorsese made the mob lifestyle seem incredible glamorous in order to make people understand why some would chose to live like that.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Belly does the same thing but takes it to the next level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRaN7wB85a4

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I've been wondering why everyone's praising Belly all day as I didn't recall it being anything special, but I just realized I was thinking about Juice. I think this makes me racist.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

This must be like how it is inside DMX's head.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Hey, this is a bit of a long shot, but I'm fairly sure I heard about it through this thread, and if not, there's collectively a good bit of knowledge in here. Someone mentioned a negotiation strategy/system that described the two sides as red and blue. Among other things, it argued that if one side has no interest in compromise, that it would win every single negotiation against a side that continued to try to compromise.

Googling isn't bringing up anything relevant, anyone know what I'm talking about? It's a fairly straightforward concept to me, but in a sea of 'well, look, just because the Republicans stole the SCOTUS seat doesn't mean we should stoop to their level', I'd like to be able to reference it.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I've been wondering why everyone's praising Belly all day as I didn't recall it being anything special, but I just realized I was thinking about Juice. I think this makes me racist.

Well, yeah, 'cause Juice is good, too. Not as good as Belly, but...

Belly's biggest problem is that the gangster lifestyle is shown as so incredibly sexy and alluring that it's difficult to make leaving it all behind look attractive. The plot and the visual storytelling start diverging so hard near the end that the movie starts unraveling. That's not as big of a knock as it seems like, though, because the confusion sort of mirrors the internal struggles of the protagonists. I don't think it really wraps up as cleanly as it could have, but it's a hell of a ride right up until the final seconds. Just so watchable.

My reading is that the ending actually signifies the ultimate failure of "T.H.U.G. Life" rhetoric, and its inevitable sublimation within reactionary spiritual cults. Like, at exactly the moment Nas has reached the mythical 'Avalon' that is Africa, he's describing it in glowing terms while we're witnessing the teaming crowds in Times Square on New Years. Meanwhile, X has only graduated from owning a video vixen to recognizing that black women are a "most valuable resource."

You only have to ask yourself, "Where in Africa is Nas?" My answer is that he never reached 'Africa' at all. The hegemony of American ideology has revealed itself, terrifyingly, through this quasi-feudalistic, basically libertarian myth, inherently supported by the NoI and their postmodern mythology.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Slugworth posted:

Hey, this is a bit of a long shot, but I'm fairly sure I heard about it through this thread, and if not, there's collectively a good bit of knowledge in here. Someone mentioned a negotiation strategy/system that described the two sides as red and blue. Among other things, it argued that if one side has no interest in compromise, that it would win every single negotiation against a side that continued to try to compromise.

Googling isn't bringing up anything relevant, anyone know what I'm talking about? It's a fairly straightforward concept to me, but in a sea of 'well, look, just because the Republicans stole the SCOTUS seat doesn't mean we should stoop to their level', I'd like to be able to reference it.

the buzzwords I know are "competing negotiations" (I win You lose) and it's counter "self-defense negotiations". A competing negotiator isn't interested in compromise but demands concessions, so it's important the self defense negotiator doesn't concede because it only leads to requests for more concessions.

There are probably better terms for this, but I've heard these tossed around a few times in my office and back in college.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

That's Vatican Chad, he's alpha and cucks everyone

I decided to play the first Yakuza recently & it made me laugh when some stranger ran up to me & yelled and his name was displayed as "Punk rear end Abe"

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

K. Waste posted:

Well, yeah, 'cause Juice is good, too. Not as good as Belly, but...

Both are inferior to Fresh anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_9hTnNErbo

quote:

My reading is that the ending actually signifies the ultimate failure of "T.H.U.G. Life" rhetoric, and its inevitable sublimation within reactionary spiritual cults. Like, at exactly the moment Nas has reached the mythical 'Avalon' that is Africa, he's describing it in glowing terms while we're witnessing the teaming crowds in Times Square on New Years. Meanwhile, X has only graduated from owning a video vixen to recognizing that black women are a "most valuable resource."

You only have to ask yourself, "Where in Africa is Nas?" My answer is that he never reached 'Africa' at all. The hegemony of American ideology has revealed itself, terrifyingly, through this quasi-feudalistic, basically libertarian myth, inherently supported by the NoI and their postmodern mythology.

I liked all the reverse imagery Hype used with Cane from Menace II Society. Hair style is flossin'.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

FreudianSlippers posted:

I was laughing out loud and then I read the last line and really guffawed. That was absolutely hilarious and I'd love to read more if you ever wrote more. It would make a terrific sketch.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

ruddiger posted:

Fresh is incredible

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

FreudianSlippers posted:

It's very good.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

ruddiger posted:

I liked all the reverse imagery Hype used with Cane from Menace II Society. Hair style is flossin'.

You tryna kick knowledge?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

ruddiger posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_9hTnNErbo

This is someone's old avatar.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

weekly font posted:

It was Hundu's, wasn't it?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Krazyface posted:

What's the minimum percentage necessary to say something is made out of blood?

Well, a poor man's made out of muscle and blood, so it's clearly a matter of income rather than quantity.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

YTOTD: The Last Of The Noirs

Thanks for doing this. The Stranger is a seriously underrated Welles.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

weekly font posted:

HUNDU's, before the current Paris Is Burning av.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

therattle posted:

I was laughing out loud and then I read the last line and really guffawed. That was absolutely hilarious and I'd love to read more if you ever wrote more. It would make a terrific sketch.

Christ, it is. I laughed out loud too.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I was 1 at the time and despite being local don't know my NYC history all that well. Was Trump as, well, Trumpian in 87? Cause it really feels like DeNiro is channeling the hell out of him in the Untouchables.

e: Also, De Palma doing the Odessa Steps is borderline offensive.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Lurdiak posted:

That's Chapo.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

married but discreet posted:

Christ, it is. I laughed out loud too.

I just read it again and even though I knew what the last line was, it still made me laugh.

broken sm57
Apr 5, 2015
After catching up on 30+ pages of posts I just want to say Archie Fucks

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Belly does the same thing but takes it to the next level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRaN7wB85a4

I bought the soundtrack specifically for this song and the Crucial Conflict song that's playing in the strip club that Method Man shoots up.

Neither show up on the soundtrack. :saddowns:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wo3XrThPZzo&t=5s

I could've sworn the song popped up on the internet a while ago, but while looking for it just now, it doesn't look like it was ever released in full, which loving sucks because that track goes hard as hell. I did find an interview with one of the Crucial Conflict dudes about his experience on set tho

http://www.fakeshoredrive.com/2012/02/fsd-feature-q-ball-talks-about-crucial-conflicts-role-in-belly.html/

quote:

FSD: Did you get to spend a lot of time with Nas, DMX and Method Man?

Q-Ball: WHAT!? Man as soon as we pulled up to the set, Meth showed mad love and let us know he knew what “Hay” was. DMX showed love when we first got there for the original interview. Me, DMX and Shaheim (from Wu-Tang) lit that hallway up. And Nas showed love too, he was just laid back, though.

FSD: Are there any memories from the set that stand out?

Q-Ball: Yes! When Hype stopped in the middle of filming Kilo’s scene to have him talk on the spot. The original scene didn’t feature Kilo talking. Hype liked how Kilo walked out the store and just told him to “Say something,” and the infamous “Yeah they rollin’ hard, they rollin real good, real good ” was born. And also just meeting everybody, and the respect that New York and New Jersey showed some young guys from the streets of Chicago’s Westside. And the smile my moms had when it dropped. PRICELESS.

e: drat, I forgot the soundtrack left off that Sister Nancy song too, thinking about how I paid full price for that loving CD and it not even having ANY of the songs I loved from the movie is aggravating af

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXnT3LFTc-s

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Feb 1, 2017

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

weekly font posted:

I dunno, when he does it in his measured responses I think it works really well. The moment he notices the omnipresent skull is top 3 Hbomb moments imo

Not untrue.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Ah gently caress me you are guys are definitely going to war with Iran. See if I can get my grandparents out.

Also, whats your opinion regarding eggs on burgers?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Death By The Blues posted:

Also, whats your opinion regarding eggs on burgers?

Depends on the place and the burger

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

married but discreet posted:

On the one hand this sounds really exciting, but on the other I don't want to have Villeneuve forever hired to do sci-fi book adaptations and sequels.

Same here. It's a little odd though, that the big Hollywood trend is to hire indie or indie-ish film-makers who've made artsy or intellectual stuff and to give them big dumb blockbusters and sci-fi projects.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Wasn't he mentioning previously dune was his dream project and while he did artsy more grounded films, he really wanted to do sci-fi?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Yeah, it's kinda disappointing. I'm hoping most of them end up being a Nolan situation where they knock the franchise out of the park for the studio and get free reign to do some original big budget films.

Villeneuve is really good at banging out dope movies in a short amount of time though, so I'm not too worried about him being able to put out original films.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

MacheteZombie posted:

Depends on the place and the burger

I might even go so far as to say it depends on the egg.

Tiger
Oct 18, 2012

And you, who are you? This is what we've got, yes. What are you going to make of it?
Fun Shoe

Slugworth posted:

I dunno about it appearing in this thread but it reminds me if a Slate Star Codex post. I could dig it up when I'm not phone posting but you might be able to find it from that.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
guys

i want it

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Budgie Jumping posted:

Funny how you did this with one of the least fascist songs from that album.

Does anybody here remember Kelly Anne?

Remember how she said that

We would make America great again

Some sunny day?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

guys

i want it

The primary thing I care about in a folder is the locking mechanism. That pic isn't selling me on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

nobody thinks those '90s Guided by Voices albums would be better if they didn't sound like they were recorded on a beat-up four track.

the coolest part is when a tape just disintegrates completely and starts making spooky ghost noises. my copy of Fables of the Reconstruction by R.E.M. did this real well.

Yeah my cassette copy of Psychocandy sounds better with each play.

• Locked thread