Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Armada box arrived today. I am actually slightly surprised at how light and empty it is. On the plus side, plenty of space to store the two other ships I bought while waiting.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

What are people's thoughts on Armada and IA Skirmish now that they've been around for a while and have had a few expansions? How do they compare to X-Wing or other skirmish games, respectively?
Imperial Assault Skirmish was fun when I tried it. It gave me fond memories of the old D&D Skirmish, and by extension the Star Wars version that nobody played here, except without all of the random booster bullshit and with just a smidge more customisation of individual dudes. I am kind of looking forward to the Jawa expansion just to try the robo-death gang out again, but with salvaged weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

I can't remember if I asked this before - but do any sites ever hold deep discount sales for Imperial Assault like they do for X-Wing and Armada? For some reason I feel like I never see that and there's a bunch of older Wave 1 & 2 stuff I'd like to pick up for cheap in the event of such a thing.

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Pittsburgh is stored in the balls.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

What are people's thoughts on Armada and IA Skirmish now that they've been around for a while and have had a few expansions? How do they compare to X-Wing or other skirmish games, respectively?

I personally think that Armada has a depth to it that you won't find in X-Wing / IA - sort of a "many different avenues are viable" at the higher tiers of game play, and being able to fly your list well counts as much or more than tightly constructed lists. I've compared it in the past to playing chess, but you get to bring your own chess set, and it can include whatever you want.

I also think that with Corellian Conflict it is in an excellent place where you don't need to be playing "competitively" in tournament play to get the most out of the game, and I hope they do more expansions like that.

I may be slightly biased though, as I'm kinda heavily invested in Armada doing well.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I have an airbrush now so I can stencil things with much less effort than brushing by hand. What do you guys think would be the best ships as a canvas for this style? Probably the Liberty and the other Mon Cal ships? Might just start with a Nebulon and see how it goes from there.

Gorilla Salad posted:

Chris Foxx designed my dreams as a child in the 70s.

Coming from most sci fi where everything was beige with straight lines, his stuff blew my loving mind.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Mon Cal and, in the unlikely event they ever make them, separatist vessels in the service of scum and villainy

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

So Im going to take a drive to try and find some of the expansion packs for Imperial Assault. I have the base game but haven't taken it for a spin yet. I had a few questions.

1: Is it meant to be played as a RPG? Because it feels like one just glancing at it.

2: Are there rules anywhere for creating your own PCs for it?

3: The Ally and Villain packs, Are those meant more for the skirmish play or playing a campaign for it?

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Feb 1, 2017

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
The Imperial player is basically the "GM" for the game. Its not, strictly speaking, an RPG; but there's more fun to be had with the Imperial player taking the role of "facilitating a good adventure" rather than "winning at all costs" (That's not to say that the Imperial can't play to win...but I personally think the game can get a little too adversarial if there's not a shared understanding between everyone.)

I've not seen any PC-creating rules; but if you start picking up some of the big-box expansions, there'll be plenty of pre-mades to choose from

The Ally and Villain packs are pretty optional. There are Skirmish mode cards in each one, plus a Campaign Side Mission card. The characters themselves can be deployed without buying the pack; you'll just have a cardboard chit instead of a plastic mini.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

BigRed0427 posted:

So Im going to take a drive to try and find some of the expansion packs for Imperial Assault. I have the base game but haven't taken it for a spin yet. I had a few questions.

1: Is it meant to be played as a RPG? Because it feels like one just glancing at it.

2: Are there rules anywhere for creating your own PCs for it?

3: The Ally and Villain packs, Are those meant more for the skirmish play or playing a campaign for it?

1.It's played in an RPG in a sense that over the course of a campaign you play the same characters over and over and they will get more powerful skills and weapons as time goes on. But it's first and foremost more like an actual competitive boardgame. If you've ever played Descent, you'll know this system right away.

2.No custom PC's although if you're gonna be getting the expansions you'll have plenty of archetypes to choose from.

3.I would say it's more for Skirmish mode since other than getting that characters figure and getting a side mission for the campaign, you get cards which give them their stats and what not if you're using them for skirmish as well.

I would kinda disagree about the Imperial player being a GM, you're very much an opposing player to the Rebels and you do want to win. You just happen to know what surprises are gonna on the other side of a door or what super hellish trap is gonna activate on turn 3 that will really mess them up. Unlike Descent though it's not a "winner take all" style of rewards so even if you lose you will still get a bit of experience and money and what not.

I would also advise that since you haven't even played the base game yet, i would wait until you finish at least one campaign before you start introducing any of the expansions you're buying.The base game can be daunting enough to learn on it's own and you can easily squeeze at least 2 playthroughs out of the base game's campaign which will take you quite a while to finish.

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
Seconding that you play through at least a few games before buying expansions. I'd also get a few games of skirmish in to see which style you prefer, as the character packs play differently in both modes.

This guide has been really useful. It also tells you what the pre-requisites for each character are, which saved me a tonne of money in not buying packs that I couldn't use in campaign mode with the boxes that I have.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I'd disagree about buying the expansions, but don't use them until you've played a bit. They can be hard to track down specific ones, so if you see one you want at a price you're happy to pay then grab it. If for no other reason than you can use the figures rather than the card tokens, which is always much cooler.

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
Yeah scarcity is an issue, but I'd rather wait than buy stuff I don't need. I made the mistake of buying Rebel Saboteurs because they looked cool and it turns out they're garbage in campaign mode (which is all I play), so they never see use. The IG-88 I bought isn't much better, but it was hard to say no because, well, it's IG-88.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I bought both of those expansions because the minis are really cool :shrug:

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Yeah I'm mostly in it for the miniatures since using token stand ins seems lame :/

Speaking of why does it seem like only Boba Fett is impossible to find?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

flightless greeb posted:

Yeah I'm mostly in it for the miniatures since using token stand ins seems lame :/

Speaking of why does it seem like only :siren: Boba Fett :siren: is impossible to find?
'coz that.

But if you're close to the UK there's this.

ETA: or if you're not there's this.

Arquinsiel fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Feb 2, 2017

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

I mean $89 is pretty lmao it's just weird to me that I guess only he is totally out of print now? Or maybe like you're saying the other out of print stuff just isn't in demand.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

They have 30 of him at cardhaus right now:
http://www.cardhaus.com/products/search?query=boba+fett&x=0&y=0

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Edit: wrong star wars thread

Deviant fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Feb 2, 2017

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
He was MSRP + shipping when I posted that. I guess either some goon bought all of them or they're running a bot to check for the URL and jack up the price if people show interest :shrug:

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Arquinsiel posted:

He was MSRP + shipping when I posted that. I guess either some goon bought all of them or they're running a bot to check for the URL and jack up the price if people show interest :shrug:

Maybe there is a goon who has a wh 40k imperial guard army made all of boba fetts

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Maybe there is a goon who has a wh 40k imperial guard army made all of boba fetts

Give it time, and that'll be a cheaper option than the real thing :v:

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
Looks like he's back to $10 on Prime. Gogogo.

Nickelodeon Household
Apr 11, 2010

I like chocolate MIIIILK

flightless greeb posted:

They just re-released the figure so you can find him at MSRP or below at most shops. Here's one for $7.49.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

flightless greeb posted:

Yeah I've been needing for ages to have all the Imp rear end stuff, was driving me a bit nuts until dun dun dun, today they had like 9 at Dark Sphere in London. They must have had a second printing or something.

Lake Jucas
Feb 20, 2011

WHAT OF OUR BARGAIN?
I'm looking to get into Armada. I have the starter set, but what else should I get if I want to flesh out a 400-pt Rebel set?

Also, any goons in the NYC area looking to play?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Lake Jucas posted:

I'm looking to get into Armada. I have the starter set, but what else should I get if I want to flesh out a 400-pt Rebel set?

Either of the Mon Cal cruisers can become a ~150-pt beastie if you kit it out (which you should, because it's a great and fun idea). I'd go for one of the big ones and maybe another corvette or Neb B, given the titles in those kits that aren't in the starter. Or if you're into squadrons, pick up the Rebel Squadrons I and laugh as Wedge brutally space-murders any poor sap he comes across.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
Rebel Squadrons I definitely seems like a must buy

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

Lake Jucas posted:

2 lots of rebel squadrons 1, an MC80 (home one or liberty variant) and a couple of sets of rebel transports will give you a nice set of stuff to play with.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Squads, flotillas, Home One, and Nebulon Imo. I guess you need a mc30 for General Rieekan for maximum squad fun. I love the Rebel squad game and him Yavaris from the Nebulon are so much fun to use.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Is the Pelta worthwhile at all? Commander Sato and Ashoka Tano both look useful to my never-played-a-game eyes, but Armada ships are just expensive enough to make buying one just for the cards a bit awkward compared to X-wing.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

It's very slow and doesn't fit into current Rebel strats. It can be fun but yeah speed 2 is so bad on something that vulnerable.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I think there is literally zero competitive scene on the entire island, so "it can be fun" is probably good enough to justify the buy.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

All Fighters Follow Me + Gallant Haven is a hoot if you get it.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Yea the Pelta seems like an out-of-place ship that comes with some really great upgrades.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I heard fighters are kind of out of control in the current Armada metagame (which BGG poster Norsehound asserts has its roots in Admiral Ackbar being overpowered, but anyway). When I read the rules, I thought it was neat that a ship firing on squadrons can hose down all squadrons in a given arc at once. Then I thought, anti-squad arms being what they are and squad hulls being what they are a ship will never kill fighters anyway. Then I thought, oh, Concentrate Fire? Then I read Concentrate Fire carefully and was bummed to see it would only boost dice versus one squadron. Experienced Armada players, do you think allowing Concentrate Fire to boost all anti-squadron attacks in an arc on a given turn would be OP, or would it give ships a fighting chance?

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

SuperKlaus posted:

I heard fighters are kind of out of control in the current Armada metagame (which BGG poster Norsehound asserts has its roots in Admiral Ackbar being overpowered, but anyway). When I read the rules, I thought it was neat that a ship firing on squadrons can hose down all squadrons in a given arc at once. Then I thought, anti-squad arms being what they are and squad hulls being what they are a ship will never kill fighters anyway. Then I thought, oh, Concentrate Fire? Then I read Concentrate Fire carefully and was bummed to see it would only boost dice versus one squadron. Experienced Armada players, do you think allowing Concentrate Fire to boost all anti-squadron attacks in an arc on a given turn would be OP, or would it give ships a fighting chance?

I think it would be unbalancing, but not in the way you probably think. It would be especially strong against the low hp squadrons that the Imperials tend to field. TIE fighters already melt pretty quickly against just about anything that isn't a TIE Bomber. Where as Y-Wings and TIE bombers would probably not be hurt so bad by the extra flack die. So that would skew the game even further towards massed bombers than it already is.

Also, if you really want good anti-squadron fire, the Imperials already have it with the Raider I. Add in ordinance experts for a total of 48 points and you have a ship that is all but guaranteed to get two hits on any squadron that gets close. For extra insanity, add agent Kallus (add a die when attacking a unique squadron), and the title that gives you an extra attack single anti-squadron attack. For mid 50s in points, you have a ship that just melts any squadron, aces included.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

SuperKlaus posted:

Yeah I'm kinda in agreement there. Most people in my meta don't use them very well and suffer for it. It's a shame really cos the squadron game doesn't have particularly compelling mechanics compared to the ship game.

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

It helps that the squadron game has one of the steepest learning curves of any of the FFG games short of figuring out how the Arkham Horror board game is actually supposed to be played 100% correctly while drunk.

You not only have to build a reasonable squadron compliment, but position it well which is more in depth than just smashing it face forward into the other player's squadrons and hope you win. And that takes a lot of time, practice, and gameplay which is more than you're going to see, even if you average a game a week at your FLGS.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Huh yeah good point you'd just smash TIEs and leave bombers alone. Which is funny because flak is supposed to be better against slow bombers, you'd think. I feel like squadron combat should be a significant part of Armada because it's a major part of feeling Star Wars-y. But, speaking as someone outside the game always unsure if he wants to buy in, I'm hearing that it's out of control and the big sexy starships are only there to deliver commands to bombers and get shot up by bombers. Perhaps the WWII inspiration for Star Wars has taken hold too strongly in Armada, huh? Or maybe it's some side effect of Star Wars canon providing FFG so much stuff related to fighters and so little related to capital ships that their designers can't help but keep pumping out new fighter toys.

I feel like I'd be happy if squadrons could be considered a sort of mini-game, where from a perfectly balanced start the side that wins fighter superiority puts himself in, say, a 60-40 advantage to win. Like it's something you watch and when making a list have to decide how strongly you want to fight for it, but deficiency there can be overcome.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Flak is a tool to help your fighters, just not the sole thing you use. You need your own fighters holding them in place and wearing them down too. I really like how squadron focused the game is, because that's Star Wars. I do agree with Val it can be brutally punishing, especially if you're trying to use the three speed Rebel fighters rather than YT-2400s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Having been to Worlds, the biggest thing separating the top 4 from the rest was extremely inspired squadron play. Well, that and lists that had been honed to perfection and no small amount of luck.

What separated the winner from the Top 4 was literally making one less mistake than his opponent in the semi-final and his opponent in the final flying more than a little bit suicidey after playing 2 full days of Armada.