Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

RE7 chat. I got past the garage and did a video hiding sequence I was led to believe this game was not Alien isolation hiding, which I don't exactly care for. Does that lessen as an empowerment curve, or it this what Im in for. I think Im early enough that I might just restart on easy. The instant death hiding is not fun, it only works if you successfully evade the first time, after that it feels really gamey and scripted.

Advice me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You only need to hide from stuff like three times in the game and it's more like running away for a bit because they only appear in set areas. The rest is shooting stuff.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Bombadilillo posted:

RE7 chat. I got past the garage and did a video hiding sequence I was led to believe this game was not Alien isolation hiding, which I don't exactly care for. Does that lessen as an empowerment curve, or it this what Im in for. I think Im early enough that I might just restart on easy. The instant death hiding is not fun, it only works if you successfully evade the first time, after that it feels really gamey and scripted.

Advice me.

I think that's the only time you have to do that considering you're playing as another character at that time.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
You don't get instakilled on discovery in the normal world, eventually monsters start appearing that can die permanently like in the other games. There's definitely a power curve, you're not far from the shotgun which is very strong and I have 5 or 6 weapons (counting redundancies) now.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

haveblue posted:

You don't get instakilled on discovery in the normal world, eventually monsters start appearing that can die permanently like in the other games. There's definitely a power curve, you're not far from the shotgun which is very strong and I have 5 or 6 weapons (counting redundancies) now.

Thanks everyone, I found the shotgun in the classic style, looking for the broken one. Ill stop being a big baby and push through. Loving the atmosphere.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It's kinda insane how much of a total redesign RE7 is from pretty much all of the previous games in the series. I totally applaud that, very ballsy move.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Quantum of Phallus posted:

It's kinda insane how much of a total redesign RE7 is from pretty much all of the previous games in the series. I totally applaud that, very ballsy move.

Yet still very RE. Odd puzzles, haunted house, bioweapon gone amok. Combat strategy of knowing when to stop and shoot and when to run...

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

:mad: Still no P's+ Knack

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

:mad: Still no P's+ Knack

They will probably do it in the runup to Knack the Second

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

As far as I understand it they wen't into complete opposite direction of RE6 which I think most sane people would do.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Soft Shell Crab posted:

As far as I understand it they wen't into complete opposite direction of RE6 which I think most sane people would do.

RE6 was so over the top there's simply no way you could go higher.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Just finished Last Guardian.
What a wonderful game. Excellent story and design. For a game that took so so long to make, it looks amazingly new, (almost too good for the PS4 to handle).
There are definite performance issues, especially in the last hour or two. They're not game breaking but blemish an otherwise flawless presentation.
It definitely has the best lighting and animation I've ever seen in a game, bar none.
Sound design and score were also excellent.
Gameplay is good too, some of it starts to get a bit repetitive toward the end but the story is so good you don't really mind.
Was it worth the wait? Absolutely.
It doesn't have an amazing late-game twist like SOTC did but the overall story is better.
The ending had me feeling really emotional.

Cannot recommend it enough to fans of action adventure games.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Plus, it's only $40 on the shop right now.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

For a game that took so so long to make, it looks amazingly new, (almost too good for the PS4 to handle).
Maybe you should play more PS4 games then? Because TLG looks like a PS4 remaster of a PS3 game.

The game is just OK. The camera and controls are bad. Trico needs to react better to commands, and "it's like a real pet" is just a way to excuse unreliable pathing and input confusion. The game not knowing what to do sometimes isn't a positive trait.

I'm powering through it, but I have no real desire to play it. I loved Shadow of the Colossus, so it's unfortunate.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Nah

Tgent
Sep 6, 2011

Crows Turn Off posted:

"it's like a real pet" is just a way to excuse unreliable pathing and input confusion.

Even if it that were true, how can you tell the difference? It's entirely subjective unless you know how the game actually works internally, not that it would even matter then since the results are the same.

Also game is great.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Crows Turn Off posted:

The game is just OK. The camera and controls are bad. Trico needs to react better to commands, and "it's like a real pet" is just a way to excuse unreliable pathing and input confusion. The game not knowing what to do sometimes isn't a positive trait.

No it's intentional.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Cats are pretty bad at pathing in real life, also

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I really don't think the PS3 could have handled TLG in its current state.

It looks like a very ambitious game where some of the textures aren't super hi res, oh no!

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

homeless snail posted:

And certainly input confusion. But you don't hear me complaining about my cat's controls and camera

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

There should have been a part where Trico knocks a big rear end HD tv over.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

homeless snail posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzNRJnST9zk

acksplode
May 17, 2004

homeless snail posted:

*struggling to shove cat into pet carrier* SEVEN OUT OF TEN. AI BUGS TARNISH AN OTHERWISE CHARMING ADVENTURE

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Cat wanders house meowing nonstop at 2AM. Can't figure out what it wants me to do, nothing I interact with opens the next area. Who designed this poo poo

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Nioh is the next game on my Cat Game Calendar. Unless there's a cat in Resident Evil 7, but I would be worried for that cat

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

higher horsepower allows games to do more than just look better, so I can absolutely believe that the last guardian couldn't exist on ps3 in an acceptable state even if it isn't the prettiest game ever made

art style can make up for a lot on that front as well. just look a games like wind waker, which still looks awesome today even though it was an early gamecube game

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

veni veni veni posted:

There should have been a part where Trico knocks a big rear end HD tv over.

Do you need a photo of one for reference

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

acksplode posted:

*struggling to shove cat into pet carrier* SEVEN OUT OF TEN. AI BUGS TARNISH AN OTHERWISE CHARMING ADVENTURE

This is why you don't shove them in. The key is to lure them in and close it. Cats take finesse, much like the camera and controls of TLG.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Wandle Cax posted:

No it's intentional.

Intentionally bad is still bad, hth

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Ometeotl posted:

I'll tell that to my cat

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Ometeotl posted:

It's intentional and good actually

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Seems like there's two camps, cool people who enjoy TLG, and stubborn and impatient dorks who would rather complain than put some effort and thought in to enjoy a game

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

TLG is basically one of the best games ever made if you are all about soaking it in and enjoying the experience, a really good game if you are annoyed by little quirks and oddball game design decisions but are willing to sit down for the ride, and total crap if you demand constant immediate satisfaction and judge a games value by how many FPS it runs at and whack off to DF youtube videos.

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Do you need a photo of one for reference

Haha. I'll keep you on speed dial if I need one. :v:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Does the PS4 let you manually choose what input devices to use? I have an AT2020+ that I want to use because it's much higher quality than my headset mic, while still using the headset for sound. I don't want the headset to steal the mic input

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

TLG doesn't require that much effort or thought, it's not difficult by any means. That's not a criticism, that's a good thing. It only takes time because you have to fight against the game itself so often. It's like "make Trico do a thing" is the real antagonist.

I don't hate the game. I love the "universe" it shares with SOTC and Ico. But I hope the next game on the PS6 is more like SOTC and less like TLG.

But anyway, I'm clearly in the minority with this opinion.

Crows Turn Off fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Feb 2, 2017

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
It sounds like arguments I have heard about the tank RE games. Sure, the game is designed around limiting your movement and what you can see but it doesn't keep it from being infuriating that it seems like your real enemy is the controls and camera and not the zombies and stuff.

But again, I haven't played TLG and it sounds like problems with it are overblown.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I didn't find almost any of the time it takes to get him to do something a chore. There is a pretty high chance you will run into 1 or 2 parts in the entire game where it takes frustratingly long to do something, but overall the nature of Trico's AI really adds to the experience.

If you didn't have the patience for it that's fine. Maybe it's not the game for you. But people that act like it's an objective flaw in the game are flat out wrong because a lot of people enjoyed that aspect of it.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

It sounds like arguments I have heard about the tank RE games. Sure, the game is designed around limiting your movement and what you can see but it doesn't keep it from being infuriating that it seems like your real enemy is the controls and camera and not the zombies and stuff.

But again, I haven't played TLG and it sounds like problems with it are overblown.
If you played Shadow of the Colossus, its pretty much the exact same argument people made about Argo not controlling like a motorcycle.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

homeless snail posted:

If you played Shadow of the Colossus, its pretty much the exact same argument people made about Argo not controlling like a motorcycle.
I loved that game in spite of some complaints about the controls, but not particularly about Argo. You need for him to be able to run his own while you aim at the colossus and stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

For me the game wasn't fun or engaging. I cared about Trico and nothing else. I hated the bonding through suffering they make you do, and the game has very limited puzzles and mechanics. For me it got samey and I quit after the Evil Trico fight, and watched the ending.

I rented this, in my eyes this isn't a fully realised game at all.

I got stuck on Trico while climbing on him a lot, and the camera killed me the most.

Jack-Off Lantern fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Feb 2, 2017