Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Samizdata posted:

Look, unless they unfuck the interstitial animations, VR is a non-starter anyway. You have to design for VR from day one, as it informs most every aspect of design. CIG has not done that. There is not just a switch to flip.

We all know this, it's a fundamental fact that in order to make use of VR in a game the devs have to build the game from day 1 with VR compatability in mind to avoid problems integrating it later. The brown sea doesn't react to known facts from anything outside of CR's castle though, they only react to what CIG (and it's agents) say in the here and now and quickly dismiss anything not coming directly from a CIG employee (even then they sometimes disregard).

VR support being discounted by a CIG employee against previous CIG statements is what makes it all the more burning to them. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

tooterfish posted:

Cliff notes: VR is great, we're totally doing it. It's not like you have to design a game around it, you just have to flip a switch.

So literally exactly wrong in every way. This will be a massive red flag for anyone that has used VR any amount.

Sabreseven posted:

...the devs have to build the game from day 1 with VR compatability in mind to avoid problems integrating it later.

This is a huge understatement. In the case of what SC has done game design wise it would be tearing it down and rebuilding it, it's beyond just "problems"

It's also that you can't do cut scenes from a fixed angle and take over camera control, and I'll bet good money Roberts isn't letting you free walk around in his cut scenes and keep character control. He is very likely carefully locking down camera angles and control, which is exactly what doesn't work in VR.

BitBasher fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Feb 1, 2017

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

VR isn't big enough for Star Citizen. SC deserves... actual reality. We need to build a 1 to 1 scale universe to fly around in.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

What is new about VR (non)-support guys? Any new info from CIG?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

AP posted:

STAR MARINE HEALTH KIT ANIMATION

STEPS TO REPRODUCE

1 Two players shoot each other.
2 One player grabs a med kit on the wall

ACTUAL RESULT
Once the player grabs a health kit the player who originally shot them will grab in the air like they're also grabbing a med kit. This will happen if they're running, walking, or just standing still.
This happens if they're next to each other, or on the other side of the map when grabbing the med kit.

EXPECTED RESULT
The animations for grabbing the health kit should not be sent to the client of the person who shot them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MI3ktd6BQAU

Quantum physics is in (or out).

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Mirificus fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Feb 1, 2017

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Dante80 posted:

What is new about VR (non)-support guys? Any new info from CIG?

Welcome back Dante.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUdjiGbNkA8

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Hahaha, these guys are going legit paranoid

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

MeLKoR posted:

Hahaha, these guys are going legit paranoid

Just waiting on Derek to release the funds for Phase VI.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Sabreseven posted:

We all know this, it's a fundamental fact that in order to make use of VR in a game the devs have to build the game from day 1 with VR compatability in mind to avoid problems integrating it later. The brown sea doesn't react to known facts from anything outside of CR's castle though, they only react to what CIG (and it's agents) say in the here and now and quickly dismiss anything not coming directly from a CIG employee (even then they sometimes disregard).

VR support being discounted by a CIG employee against previous CIG statements is what makes it all the more burning to them. :)

You have to think like a backer for these kinds of arguments.

The dream, or the desire for it, is all they are considering. An elaborate simulation that will make them happy. They reassure themselves constantly that it's still happening and that they will be happier than they have ever been when they get it.

That's why they elevate Chris Roberts to godhood status, for a visionary genius would ensure the dream is happening.
The product itself is a revolution, an epoch shift in human society, for the dream will be that amazing and make them that happy.

So any discussion, on any feature, won't be exactly coming from a logical reasoning standpoint.

Logical:
"Hey VR is complicated, requires this long list of aspects to be considered and designed around, and these steps here, here, and here show that VR is not being considered. CIG staff themselves have said as much. Chris Roberts can't be trusted because he has said a thousand things are possible and has been dis-proven at almost every step by the constant walking back and omission of features. To back up him apparently not even knowing how to play the game you establish a trend of him not even understanding what it is based on his own words being at best ignorant and at worst lies."

Dreams:
"The game is already revolutionary and ground breaking so of course it will have VR. If you doubt that here is where the visionary genius, the Albert Einstein of gaming himself, said so! Under his supervision all things are possible"

This quit being about an actual game a long time ago, because the outright proof of the demos being fake would be all anyone with any kind of rationality would need to finally justify a refund. We are firmly in the Church of Citizentology zone right now. How long can the true believers continually argue against bald assed facts anyone can see?

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Fat Shat Sings posted:

How long can the true believers continually argue against bald assed facts anyone can see?

Have you noticed that not only has the True Believahs numbers been diminishing, but that the larger community is starting to actually push back at them as well?

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

DapperDon posted:

Have you noticed that not only has the True Believahs numbers been diminishing, but that the larger community is starting to actually push back at them as well?

Yes.

It is delicious.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

DapperDon posted:

Welcome back Dante.

Hello..

Oh, it was Ben Parry commenting.

This guy is a straight shooter, and no amount of Gardiner frothing forced backpedaling is going to help here (simply because the first comment was really the truth, not a "miscommunication").

Parry also had a pretty big part on implementing VR on E:D (he was head of rendering at Frontier before coming to CIG). He knows what he is talking about.

I mean...any sane player right now would have to acknowledge that the way CIG is building the game (animations, camera, UI, cutscenes etc etc) is the exact opposite from what they would have to do for a good VR implementation. And that you cannot simply add this on top later without re-writing much of the whole drat thing.

Now the SCtards simply have an expert inside opinion on it...which they will either try to trivialize, or trivialize the whole VR promise of the game (KS goal) that CR gave.

G'luck.

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Feb 1, 2017

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

DapperDon posted:

You've gotten way more vocal in your normal middle of the road criticism of CIG lately. You didn't happen buy back in and didn't tell us did you?

I haven't bought in the first time yet. :)

But trust me, I often find myself on their site with my credit card info typed in and that $10,000 package in my cart ready to... donate.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

12 Hz per eye isn't quite enough for VR either

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

:aaaaa:

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

$1.75m in Jan. I don't loving believe it. even Shitizens are getting suspicious now

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/5rgj3h/i_remain_in_awe_of_funding/

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Guys don't worry, once they release news of the console port VR is back in!

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016
I'm waiting eagerly for March/April/May.

If what TheAgent said proves to be true, like everything else, and the plan is "3.0 in 2017, maybe. Also no Squadron 42" then things are going to get exponentially more funny and salty from the backers the more time goes on.

Especially since CIG used their fake demo trump card last year. They can't just make some incremental change to 2.6 and then throw another homestead demo at people in august and expect it to work again.

If the money troubles are true and they have nothing but slight mods to their crysis mod for the next 11 months they are done.

I just can't predict when since by all accounts even the desperately stupid backers should be rioting over the demos being fake. They were so smug and exuberant at the demos yet six months later you have CIG saying "We are uhhh still uhhhh prototyping these things we sold you for $12,000,000 last year by telling you they were done." In my mind this would be the logical breaking point for backers but they keep going.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

The Titanic posted:

I haven't bought in the first time yet. :)

But trust me, I often find myself on their site with my credit card info typed in and that $10,000 package in my cart ready to... donate.

Please, Titanic, don't. Just...don't.

Really. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lttrIPDFplU

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

How anyone can think the funding and citizen tracker is not faked... how are they getting 100's or 1,000's of new people creating accounts DAILY?

It's gotta be a chinese bot mill, just spamming the gently caress out of new accounts

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
Never forget! This was 1yr ago today about the impending demise of Squadron 42.

Star Citizen - The Shafting

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

excellent cattage

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Sappo569 posted:

Star Citizen as a PSVR exclusive :laffo:

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Imagine how sick people would get in SC vr anyways

You're just chugging along and all of a sudden your ship goes spinning off into the ether at 5000000rpm

I could see people having epileptic seizures

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Fat Shat Sings posted:

I'm waiting eagerly for March/April/May.

If what TheAgent said proves to be true, like everything else, and the plan is "3.0 in 2017, maybe. Also no Squadron 42" then things are going to get exponentially more funny and salty from the backers the more time goes on.

Normally nothing much happens until Gamescom in August. This August Chris Roberts could be on stage a full year after promising 3.0 before the end of 2016 with no 3.0 and no SQ42.

Maybe they aren't panicking yet at CIG but that's only because Chris Roberts has no clue what he can actually get produced in 2 weeks.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Oh god at my work update they played a Star Citizen promo movie I'm so embarrassed

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Sappo569 posted:

How anyone can think the funding and citizen tracker is not faked... how are they getting 100's or 1,000's of new people creating accounts DAILY?

It's gotta be a chinese bot mill, just spamming the gently caress out of new accounts

I figured that at least a few of the super whales do things like that because of their belief in the project.

I mean if you are the guy that pays $30,000-$50,000 for a video game and spends 40 hours a week online defending it then of course you'll probably try and do whatever you can to make the project look better.

"1,500,000 people believe in this project" is a core backer dismissal tool.

"Who cares if 1000 people are upset, that's 0.00001% of the 1,500,000 people backing this project"
"Who cares if there are a few complaining threads on the subreddit! 99% of the backers never complain!!"

So yeah, I can totally see the free forums accounts being registered in the hundreds every day by whales to try and prove the dream is real, but the funding numbers themselves are being faked some other way.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

:mrgw:

Whales have really weird refund triggers. Who in their right mind seriously believes CIG is doing anything with VR in mind?

Maybe I'm in the deep end, but it seems to me that if you bought into this thing expecting VR, you're already somewhat familiar with how VR works and have the setup for it, etc.

How can you, as someone familiar with VR, look at the many times where player view control is violently ripped away for the sake of the fidelity animations, and assume that VR was ever in the cards? All of those systems would need incredible reworks. Nothing about Star Citizen, even in whatever alpha they call it, implies that VR is was ever anyone's mind.

Go get those refunds, friends. Your VR expectations were never a reality, and you were lied to.

Again.

By a man who can't speak the truth if asked any questions at all. :tinfoil:

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

Dream Factory
Grimey Drawer
Hate wank, hate boners :goonsay:

his nibs fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Feb 1, 2017

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
Yikes. Oculus hit with $500m verdict!

http://www.polygon.com/2017/2/1/14474198/oculus-lawsuit-verdict

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Just once I want an actual media outlet to score an interview with Roberts, and with the cameras running ask him the questions that will make him sweat

Where is the game

Can you show us any gameplay at all

How much of the backer funds were mis used to make this posh office

Is that coffee machine really 20k

Etc

Please daddy Derek make it happen , I believe in you

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

The Titanic posted:

How can you, as someone familiar with VR, look at the many times where player view control is violently ripped away for the sake of the fidelity animations, and assume that VR was ever in the cards?

Let alone the "cinematic" 24 FPS that SC seems to target but fails to achieve most of the time...

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

thats good I expected more.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

All your questions and concerns will he answered soon citizens

Now please sit back relax and enjoy the comedy stylings of ben "yes I ate the whole thing" lesnick

If we have time after the show I will mumble a few non commital answers while my wife glares a hole through the camera man

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Sappo569 posted:

Soon...

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Yeah, but Zenimax is a publisher so according to Chris Roberts, there money is only worth 1/4 of his so that means there $500 million is only $125 million compared to his $142 million which means he has more money than them so will just buy them and then there will be VR in the game.

Dumb Goons lose again (as always)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

Dream Factory
Grimey Drawer
https://www.twitch.tv/wtfosaurus

actually, no wtfo meltdown yet so p dull

his nibs fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Feb 1, 2017