Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

hoobajoo posted:

Who I don't have any empathy for are the people who have somehow forgotten how intentionally obtuse and surprising the game is, and react to every mistake like Woolie or Pat are stupid and berate them, instead of acknowledging the very basic and famous fact that the game makes considered effort to hide things, and would be complex even if it didn't, and so mistakes are inevitable and meant to be part of the fun.

this is woolie's fifth souls game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

GulagDolls posted:

this is woolie's fifth souls game

Even then, Souls changes mechanics game to game, see: poise, scaling, how iframes on dodges work, the worthiness of shields, especially stability; reinforcing equipment, parry windows...

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Fall damage

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Pat being consistently wrong about stuff is really funny and he should keep doing it. Especially in DS1 since it's his favorite souls game.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Andrast posted:

Pat being consistently wrong about stuff is really funny and he should keep doing it. Especially in DS1 since it's his favorite souls game.

ya

if people are complaining about them not being right about scaling or other pointless minutiae then thats dumb but i like when someone else on yt laughs at woolie being afraid to press the attack button

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
It's his favorite game but he's avoided doing any studying or preparation whatsoever because that would require effort and is going off of 5 year old memories.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

HGH posted:

It's his favorite game but he's avoided doing any studying or preparation whatsoever because that would require effort and is going off of 5 year old memories.

FFT is one of my favorite games but I'd probably not remember the specifics of Monk/Samurai damage scaling or the appropriate level up stat gain from classes.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

HGH posted:

Good. The SBF should never prepare for anything.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Someone tell me if I'm remembering this correctly: In Dark Souls 2, they not only reduced and tied rolling iframes to agility/adaptability, but they also moved the iframes in the actual roll, meaning that your timing was way off if you had come straight from DS1.

Dias posted:

FFT is one of my favorite games but I'd probably not remember the specifics of Monk/Samurai damage scaling or the appropriate level up stat gain from classes.

No normal person remembers that, what people do remember is stuff like "This weapon, once upgraded, will have A or S tier scaling, I remember becasue I used it a lot" and "this boss has a very distinct weakness to pierce attacks because he's near impossible otherwise", not "if I pop these souls and buy this weapon and then grind exactly 24 mobs between here and the blacksmith I will be able to afford the max upgrade and enough soul levels for scaling to kick in and have the weapon do 2 points more damage than my current gear."

The thing about Pat is he's wrong but he's so sure he's right and it makes Woolie suffer because he follows whatever Pat says. Woolie tends to do pretty well when he gets to do his own stuff.

Justice Sloth
Jun 10, 2012

Damn skippy.

Foxhound posted:

because he follows whatever Pat says. Woolie tends to do pretty well when he gets to do his own stuff.

But this time around, Woolie has gone to further lengths to ignore Pat than ever before. He defers to Pat on DS1-exclusive issues that he's never encountered before, because even inaccurate advice can be better than no advice, but has otherwise made his own choices for the most part.

Speaking of patcoaching and choices, skip to 58 minutes in Paige's newest twitch upload to watch her Buscemi her way through teen romance and spooky wildlife in Until Dawn.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Reading this with the voice in your skull.
They're just video games.

When people are absolutely losing their poo poo because someone is using the Green Iron Shield instead of the Iron Green Shield, I kinda feel bad for them because they can't enjoy the video.

If people don't know what to expect from an SBFP Souls play-through by now, then there's no saving them.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
To be fair I should be used to the "complaining about literally every possible decision that could be taken because it's playing it wrong" loud minority (okay, it's more like a 30%, let's be fair) by now too.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Dias posted:

To be fair I should be used to the "complaining about literally every possible decision that could be taken because it's playing it wrong" loud minority (okay, it's more like a 30%, let's be fair) by now too.

You're not wrong about that, either.

But it's one of the reasons I will never do Overwatch or (as previously mentioned) MOBAs. It really isn't fun to be screamed at because you're not playing the "right" way when all you want to do is just relax and have fun. I don't give a gently caress about the "meta", I just want to enjoy the game I spent 60 goddamn dollars on without some 14 year old freaking out at me.

Apologies for the rant. I know these attitudes have been around forever but it really does seem like it's getting worse and worse.

(And to clarify, I'm not making GBS threads on anyone here. You guys can critique and discuss pretty well.)

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Dias posted:

Even then, Souls changes mechanics game to game, see: ... reinforcing equipment ...

Speaking of: How do I want to treat armour in DS2? Pat's said a bunch of stuff about armour not being worth upgrading in 1, but stuff about it mattering more?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

HoboTech posted:

You're not wrong about that, either.

But it's one of the reasons I will never do Overwatch or (as previously mentioned) MOBAs. It really isn't fun to be screamed at because you're not playing the "right" way when all you want to do is just relax and have fun. I don't give a gently caress about the "meta", I just want to enjoy the game I spent 60 goddamn dollars on without some 14 year old freaking out at me.

Apologies for the rant. I know these attitudes have been around forever but it really does seem like it's getting worse and worse.

(And to clarify, I'm not making GBS threads on anyone here. You guys can critique and discuss pretty well.)

It's just a weird pet peeve of mine too, so I understand. I'm somewhat fine with getting poo poo on MP games because there's an actual Best Way of playing them if you wanna win, it just seems weird to do the same in a SP game lauded for everything being viable.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Dias posted:

It's just a weird pet peeve of mine too, so I understand. I'm somewhat fine with getting poo poo on MP games because there's an actual Best Way of playing them if you wanna win, it just seems weird to do the same in a SP game lauded for everything being viable.

Eh, pretty much everything but Ricken and Vaike.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Turn off in-game voice chat, go find some cool people to play with via Discord or whatever.

Alternatively, troll the poo poo out of them because they are garbage children with toxic priorities who should be made to feel bad about who they are.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Alternatively, troll the poo poo out of them because they are garbage children with toxic priorities who should be made to feel bad about who they are.

I like your style.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Be like that one guy who tore the absolute poo poo out of some dumb troll for harassing another player in Overwatch

This guy right here

CaptainFish
Mar 31, 2011

It's Psy-Crow my mortal Enemy! I swear my soily vengeance upon him and his fowl ilk!

:potg:

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Oxyclean posted:

Speaking of: How do I want to treat armour in DS2? Pat's said a bunch of stuff about armour not being worth upgrading in 1, but stuff about it mattering more?

Upgrading armor is probably at its best in DS2, but it's still not that important. I'd say once you're at that point where you're swimming in small titanite and don't have any weapon you want to upgrade, it's a good use of your time to upgrade your armor, as long as you see yourself continuing to use it. IIRC, the worth of an armor upgrade is also somewhat percentile based, so heavier armor gives more defense per upgrade, but that might be a heuristic rather than an actual rule.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
You see, armor is only good if you actually get hit.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

as always, find whatever looks best and upgrade that to max

also more blighttown yes :shopkeeper:

lmfao 1:45

oh my god the way he tries to deal with the blowdart guy is insane

GulagDolls fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Feb 1, 2017

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I don't think I wanna hear Pat rant about KH anymore.
Also saying "Don't say I was wrong" as a defense for being wrong is the worst idea ever.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

GulagDolls posted:

oh my god the way he tries to deal with the blowdart guy is insane

The whole episode was great, but oh my god pounding back three toxic clears 10ft from a bonfire

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Post-podcast death, brought directly to you!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Hitnz2Ssc4

I knew shenanigans were gonna happen when they mentioned on the podcast how they had no idea when Matt would even get back :allears:

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
There's something both funny and vaguely sadistic about Matt showing up, recording for likely a day or maybe two at most with them then bouncing the gently caress out to Disneyland.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's a boss for a reason. Makes the tough decisions and goes to splash mountain.

https://twitter.com/Netflix_CA/status/826947186239930368?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw
Lucha Underground coming to Netflix. (Supposedly all NA and parts of SA, but for now only Netflix Canada has spoken about it) Streaming seasons 1 and 2.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Did Woolie ever catch up in Lucha Underground? I'm like 2 months behind on podcasts.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
He's still not halfway through season 1 last time they talked about it.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

As of the last mention:

Woolie - Nearly halfway through season 1
Matt - Finished season 1 and saw a bit of season 2
Pat - so up to date that he's asking if this is canon

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Feb 2, 2017

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Post-podcast death, brought directly to you!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Hitnz2Ssc4

I knew shenanigans were gonna happen when they mentioned on the podcast how they had no idea when Matt would even get back :allears:

I love Minecraft for reals real.

Justice Sloth
Jun 10, 2012

Damn skippy.
I love the unabashed fuckthrough that is BF"P" Minecraft: Story Mode. Severe sleep deprivation and terrible video games make the perfect seeding bed for new lore and ruthless under-bus throwing.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Holy crap you guys Pat and Woolie are going to die before they're 35.

At least Woolie is trying, though. I think Pat just doubles-down.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Lucha Underground coming to Netflix. (Supposedly all NA and parts of SA, but for now only Netflix Canada has spoken about it) Streaming seasons 1 and 2.

I'm not the biggest fan of wrestling, but everything I've heard about Lucha underground from the boys sounds amazing.

Time travel, resurrections and dragons? sign me the gently caress up.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

HoboTech posted:

Holy crap you guys Pat and Woolie are going to die before they're 35.

At least Woolie is trying, though. I think Pat just doubles-down.

Ryan Davis was 34 when he died, keep in mind. It's not an impossible age to die at, joking or not.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

Ryan Davis was 34 when he died, keep in mind. It's not an impossible age to die at, joking or not.

:smith:

At least Pat is treating his sleep apnea? What is this new "they're so gonna die" thing coming from? Stuff they said in the minecraft episode? (Although speculating I can't imagine Pat's diet of multiple energy drinks a day can be good)

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Oxyclean posted:

At least Pat is treating his sleep apnea? What is this new "they're so gonna die" thing coming from? Stuff they said in the minecraft episode? (Although speculating I can't imagine Pat's diet of multiple energy drinks a day can be good)

Pretty much. Neither of them could sleep last night. They stay up to 6ish am on average anyway. They were so hosed up that they couldn't record parasite eve or whatever and had to just do minecraft since they can straight up let the game play itself most of the time.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
Chocolate oranges and tall boys of red bull everyday is the health Troubles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justice Sloth
Jun 10, 2012

Damn skippy.

Oxyclean posted:

Woolie and Pat combined make up one barely healthy person, but both of them are min-maxed in different horrible ways.

Pat consciously treats his sleep apnea, is neurotically hygienic and ritualistically avoids the perils of the outside world, but has the diet of a 13 year old, intentionally deprives himself of regular sleep and never exercises.

Whereas Woolie regularly exercises and eats a somewhat healthy diet, but adamantly refuses to seek medical advice regarding his myriad of sleep-related ailments and is deathly allergic to multiple varieties of insects.