Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Rhyno posted:

The art in Lost Light is horrible.

I never thought in the aftermath of Megatron Origin I would utter the words "I miss Alex Milne on art" and yet here we are. I think he's doing some interiors for Optimus Prime soon, so there's that to look forward to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
Yea I'm not super digging this just yet. Why'd they not keep Alex Milne on for these again? Also I really kind of hate these new Camien chars.

Edit: Actually, I should say I just don't like Anode. Her friend seems fine.

Good Listener fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Feb 1, 2017

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
COME ON UNKNOWN EVIL!

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Good Listener posted:

Yea I'm not super digging this just yet. Why'd they not keep Alex Milne on for these again? Also I really kind of hate these new Camien chars.

Edit: Actually, I should say I just don't like Anode. Her friend seems fine.

No idea why Milne was replaced, as he found out about it on Twitter rather than anyone actually contacting him before the relaunch was made public. I've gone back and re-read it twice now and yeah, I've unsubscribed from it. It's just so loving bad

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

No idea why Milne was replaced, as he found out about it on Twitter rather than anyone actually contacting him before the relaunch was made public. I've gone back and re-read it twice now and yeah, I've unsubscribed from it. It's just so loving bad

Yea I'm debating not picking it up until I hear better things for now. It's a shame since MTMTE is the one I wanted to read most when I got into the comics. But when Optimus and TAAO are both real good it's like..dang.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I read the summary of Lost Light #2 and I see the Megatron shilling is still in effect.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

TFRazorsaw posted:

I read the summary of Lost Light #2 and I see the Megatron shilling is still in effect.

Megatron is Good.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
Where the gently caress is wave 3 I haven't seen any of these assholes anywhere. I just want Twinferno.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
Lost Light was good. I don't know what the problem is supposed to be ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

DoctorWhat posted:

Megatron is Good.

I like the idea of a complex and morally gray Megatron, providing they can balance it.

I don't think IDW has done that.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons

Action Jacktion posted:

Lost Light was good. I don't know what the problem is supposed to be ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Haha I'm just not feeling this going back to the Functionist Universe thing I guess. I was hoping we'd have a bit more of a fun storyline after the DJD showdown is all. Even if just a tiny one you know?

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Good Listener posted:

Haha I'm just not feeling this going back to the Functionist Universe thing I guess. I was hoping we'd have a bit more of a fun storyline after the DJD showdown is all. Even if just a tiny one you know?

I really didn't like Tailgate's confrontation with Fangry, the subsequent revelations or the talk he had with Cyclonus. Hell, I've hated pretty much everything that's happened between those two since the "Indie Dance Party" issue. Then to go back to the Functionists (again) so we can finally find out about Rung and oh god even typing it makes me not care

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Where the gently caress is wave 3 I haven't seen any of these assholes anywhere. I just want Twinferno.

Wave 3 came and went at Christmas time. Hasbro hasn't yet or is in the process of sending new shipments that should hopefully contain both wave 3 and wave 4.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SpazmasterX posted:

Wave 3 came and went at Christmas time. Hasbro hasn't yet or is in the process of sending new shipments that should hopefully contain both wave 3 and wave 4.

Numerous toy distributors never even got Wave 3 or are still waiting on their initial shipments which is why I asked DT what the heck was going on with them.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

I really didn't like Tailgate's confrontation with Fangry, the subsequent revelations or the talk he had with Cyclonus. Hell, I've hated pretty much everything that's happened between those two since the "Indie Dance Party" issue. Then to go back to the Functionists (again) so we can finally find out about Rung and oh god even typing it makes me not care

Pretty much this. I don't care about Anode, Tailgate has grown from a very eager character to a very annoying character, and this issue did nothing to change that I don't care about the functionists

Lepecard
May 19, 2009
Soiled Meat

TheDK posted:

COME ON UNKNOWN EVIL!

MUNKY!
MUNKY!
MUNKY!
MUNKY!

Although there is a great risk we can end up with more beast modes on par....with Mindwipe...

Lepecard fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Feb 2, 2017

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

No you really don't. He sucks by and large. Animal form is terrible, not enough joints in robot to work. Hot Rod and Triggerhappy however? YOU WANT BECAUSE THEY OWN.

Also I could have gotten Gnaw this week but 17 dollars at a nerd shop? I don't think so, not even for Gnaw. Even less for Kickback. (Also SW Black Series Sabine for 30. It's the PRINCIPLE dammit. I may have dealt with their 8 bucks for Apeface but that big a mark up for brand new toys? Not even for the Mando over there with the hella cool hair! Or fat robot Pirahnas on legs.)

I don't get the hate for Lost Light now but yeah Optimus Prime and Till All Are One are owning right now. It might be the real issue. The entire TF line has stepped up their game.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Triggerhappy is one of those toys that makes you angry at other toys for not being remolds of Triggerhappy. It's very good.

Captain Rufus posted:

I don't get the hate for Lost Light now but yeah Optimus Prime and Till All Are One are owning right now. It might be the real issue. The entire TF line has stepped up their game.
I don't hate it I'm just annoyed we're entering the jerk off Rung's altmode fanfic arc. I am also not interested in Roberts writing Camiens, full stop, ever.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

Lepecard posted:

MUNKY!
MUNKY!
MUNKY!
MUNKY!

Would he be called Optimus Primal Prime?

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

A good poster posted:

Would he be called Optimus Primal Prime?

Or Primal Prime, which has been used before.

Or Prime Al. He can call you Betty.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I got the knockoff Perfect Effect gun and head kit for CW Bruticus today. The guns are excellent and the huge barrels on his back really make him look better. I can't decide if I like the silver head or the original better. And the seller included a second set of the guns in a dark charcoal finish so I slapped those on G2 Bruticus and now have no need to buy a kit for him.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Lepecard posted:

MUNKY!
MUNKY!
MUNKY!
MUNKY!

Although there is a great risk we can end up with more beast modes on par....with Mindwipe...
Counterpoint, we could end up with more beast modes on par with weirdwolf.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

Counterpoint, we could end up with more beast modes on par with weirdwolf.

Or imagine a new leader class Optimal Optimus. Like that 3rd party one, but cheaper.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I'm going to stick with LL to see what happens, but it has lost a lot of it's love for me around the issue that you mentioned. The fact Roberts has turned Tailgate from an interesting character to a complete arsehole kinda feels a bit rough.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Rhyno posted:

I got the knockoff Perfect Effect gun and head kit for CW Bruticus today. The guns are excellent and the huge barrels on his back really make him look better. I can't decide if I like the silver head or the original better. And the seller included a second set of the guns in a dark charcoal finish so I slapped those on G2 Bruticus and now have no need to buy a kit for him.

Source? I've only seen the KO hands and feet which already made him a thousand times better.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Captain Rufus posted:

No you really don't. He sucks by and large. Animal form is terrible, not enough joints in robot to work. Hot Rod and Triggerhappy however? YOU WANT BECAUSE THEY OWN.

Oh right I want them too.
Well gosh darn it.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

You Am I posted:

I'm going to stick with LL to see what happens, but it has lost a lot of it's love for me around the issue that you mentioned. The fact Roberts has turned Tailgate from an interesting character to a complete arsehole kinda feels a bit rough.

I really do want to love LL but it feels like it's rehashing all of Roberts previous ideas and characters without actually moving the story on. Barber's doing great things in Prime, as has Scott with TAAO but MTMTE and LL have just been circling around going nowhere for what feels like years now. And I also find it sort of ironic that in a story called "Lost Light" we haven't actually heard or seen the eponymous ship or who stole it yet, instead focusing on loving Rung

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

History Comes Inside! posted:

Source? I've only seen the KO hands and feet which already made him a thousand times better.

I got them from this seller but via Facebook

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FREE-SHIP2U...vsAAOSwnHZYhNQN

The only thing that's off is the purple of the gun stock doesn't quite match Shockwave but it's nothing I can't live with and it turns him into a rifle instead of a long pistol.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Holy poo poo M01 is huge

why did he have to be this huge

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DoctorWhat posted:

Holy poo poo M01 is huge

why did he have to be this huge

The Wei Jiang EM Prime?

FOR SCIENCE.

And possibly plastic tolerances.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Lol, I was watching the Vangelus review of the MMC not-Tarn and I hadn't heard that they gave him Roller's face under the insignia mask. That pretty hilarious.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Lol, I was watching the Vangelus review of the MMC not-Tarn and I hadn't heard that they gave him Roller's face under the insignia mask. That pretty hilarious.

Everyone was certain he was really Roller. Supposedly their next release is coming with a new head to swap on.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I know, there's just something funny about everyone being so certain of a fantheory that it got into a toy release. Just where else besides Transformers would you see something like that.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Hemingway To Go! posted:

I know, there's just something funny about everyone being so certain of a fantheory that it got into a toy release. Just where else besides Transformers would you see something like that.

I'm sure everything with an insane fanbase has similar things happen.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Rhyno posted:

The Wei Jiang EM Prime?

FOR SCIENCE.

And possibly plastic tolerances.

Actually after thinking about it I realized I'm always complaining about bad guys not being big enough, and Movie Prime is one of my favorite villains in Transformers, so it's actually very appropriate.

And "plastic tolerances"? This motherfucker is like 25% zinc!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The first run had massive breakage during shipment problems. Dem hips are weak as gently caress.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Hemingway To Go! posted:

I've read it resembles the face Glitch has when he gets blown up (we assume the 'cons fixed his disfiguring) at the end of dying of the light.

You Am I posted:

Yeah this is the biggest shame. Maybe I missed the point a little but Tailgate just being like "Yes I murdered all these people and I feel fine" is a weird twist to take.

Maybe it's a Kira thing, like Roberts wasn't happy with all the fangirls gushing over how cute Tailgate is? I have no loving idea.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

Spiderdrake posted:

Yeah this is the biggest shame. Maybe I missed the point a little but Tailgate just being like "Yes I murdered all these people and I feel fine" is a weird twist to take.

Maybe it's a Kira thing, like Roberts wasn't happy with all the fangirls gushing over how cute Tailgate is? I have no loving idea.

More likely it's an exploration of how easily the innocent are corrupted by their own feelings of powerlessness. Very early on, Tailgate was established first and foremost as being A) Extremely naive, B) Desperate to be powerful/important, and C) A liar. Everything that's happening now is entirely in line with who he's been the whole time.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Keldroc posted:

More likely it's an exploration of how easily the innocent are corrupted by their own feelings of powerlessness. Very early on, Tailgate was established first and foremost as being A) Extremely naive, B) Desperate to be powerful/important, and C) A liar. Everything that's happening now is entirely in line with who he's been the whole time.

Yeah. I am shocked to be agreeing with Keldroc but it's basically what I am thinking and the newest issue all but beats you over the head with it. Someone small and weak who feels powerless is now given mad power plus he has lots of guilt with stuff Cyclonus and other LL crew have gone through.

Tailgate is MAD AS HELL AND HE AINT GONNA TAKE IT ANY MORE!

The problem is the biggest victimizers IRL are ones who were victims themselves. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Tailgate's arc as a character seemed nice and finished when he stuck his finger in Tyrest's head, and had finally gone from a naive survivor of a bygone age to a full-fledged member of the team saving everybody to the best of his ability. The only thing left is the final part of the epic cycle where the epic hero grows old and declines and eventually dies, like when Beowulf picks a fight with a dragon in his old age, or when Jason, after breaking his vow to love Medea forever, got killed when the magical piece of wood on the Argo fell on him. Most writers leave that part out of their stories. That seems like the route Tailgate's been on lately.

Pretty much all of James Roberts's main characters seem like they've run their course at this point. Their emotional arcs are done with, and they haven't been growing much. I thought he was going to move on to work his magic with other characters, especially after the infusion of new blood energon from Cybertron or from the other parts of the ship, but most of the new characters ended up either dead or betraying the main cast.

Now we've got Roller, Megatron's grampa, this new weird duo who are clearly hiding something, and a bunch of assorted extras who inevitably will get very little if any further development. So far, I'm less than impressed.