Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Alice isn't Dead is wonderful. I didn't care for Within the Wires or Orbiting Human Circus, but I can see why other folks dig them. I might give Wires another try if I need something fresh, I didn't really get past the first episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

I wasn't able to get into Within the Wires until episode 5 or so. It's pretty awesome, though.

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
Boo, no Texas on the tour :(

I took my wife to the Dallas show of The Investigators and we had a great time. Would love to go to another! Maybe the Winstar on the Oklahoma border would be an inexpensive venue to rent out? Not for this tour obviously, but maybe something to think about for the future.

ScrubLeague fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Jan 24, 2017

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

ScrubLeague posted:

Boo, no Texas on the tour :(

I took my wife to the Dallas show of The Investigators and we had a great time. Would love to go to another! Maybe the Winstar on the Oklahoma border would be an inexpensive venue to rent out? Not for this tour obviously, but maybe something to think about for the future.

Usually Texas is on the Summer tour, not the Spring tour. I could be wrong though. :v:

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

nothing is confirmed as far as I know but yeah we do seem to like going to Texas when its about 110 degrees there. seems more Texan that way

re: the Winstar, it's a lot harder to draw a crowd to a remote location like that. I do really hope we try some sort of "destination show" sometime, ideally in some beautiful outdoor desert setting in NM or AZ, but that sort of thing has to be set up and promoted way way in advance and even then its a lot riskier than a normal show.

also pretty sure we'll keep coming to Dallas as long as we keep touring because that's where Jeffrey Cranor is from, and we all love the Majestic

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jan 24, 2017

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.
We are likely to have two more US tours this year, so everyone please stop sending us complaints because we're not going to your city this exact second.

In terms of destination shows, my dream is to do a one-off show in Roswell and film it as a concert movie, but who knows when or if we'll get around to that.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Why aren't you guys in my city right this second?

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

angerbeet posted:

Why aren't you guys in my city right this second?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Look if you haven't developed superposition touring technology that allows you to be literally everywhere in the universe simultaneously and forever then what are you even doing?

(Note: you would still get WHY AREN'T YOU HERE RIGHT NOW complaints if you did this.)

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
I've been listening to you guys for years, bought all of the books and merchandise, and I've been all your live shows. I'm just saying I deserve to have you guys to come over and sleep in my bed. Bring Cecil, Dylan, Meg, Wil, Jackson, Mara, Jesika, Hal, Marc, and Retta with you too.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Really pumped you are coming to Kansas City instead of Lawrence! The Uptown is a great venue!

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Is there somewhere online I can listen to the title theme? I like it a lot.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
All of Night Vale's non-weather music is by Disparition (our own Earwicker). I believe everything is available on the Disparition Bandcamp page.

Specifically, you want "The Ballad of Fiedler and Mundt" from the album Neukrk.

Edit: I'm not actually sure if/where the newer renditions of the Night Vale theme are available, but the original is still the best!

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I forget the title of the track but there's one Disparition tune that used to be in EVE Online so every time I hear it in the show it reminds me of floating around deadspace complexes.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

wait what? I've never played that game but either you are mistaken about the song or they are using it without permission. what song is it?

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

WhiteHowler posted:

Specifically, you want "The Ballad of Fiedler and Mundt" from the album Neukrk.

That's the original but they've had a heavier remixed version of it for a while now, that's what I'm looking for.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Earwicker posted:

wait what? I've never played that game but either you are mistaken about the song or they are using it without permission. what song is it?

I can never remember the title but it's the slow "bloo booo weee ooo" one that gets used for "we are having a moment of thought and pondering the universe" moments.

fake edit: Atalanta Fugiens, I'm certain EVE had it as background music at one point

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I liked Alice isn't dead a lot but I could not get into the autistic kid from the circus

Snowdog79
Jul 18, 2007

Things are more like they
are now than they ever were before.
My wife and I have seen you guys at The Majestic in Dallas twice now, and got to be on the front row for Ghost Stories.

AND you picked my band's song for The Weather on an episode last year.

AND we're going on the JOCO cruise in March.

In summary: thank you for making Good Art and being so awesome to your fanbase.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Echoing the split of really digging Alice isn't Dead but not keeping up with WtW and OHC after a few episodes. I appreciate the production values of all of them, but WtW and OHC are lower on my list of podcasts to catch up on.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I actually stuck with OHC to the end. Still don't like the Janitor, and also the disjointed style makes the plot hard to follow. But it's alright. Might check it out when the next season comes out, might not.

I think I'll give WtW another go and try listening to a couple of episodes, if it really starts getting good later on.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
loving stellar episode today. There were so many relatable memories and feelings. I feel like this is going to rank pretty high on my favorites list.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

loving stellar episode today. There were so many relatable memories and feelings. I feel like this is going to rank pretty high on my favorites list.

Personally I thought it was kind of weak, mainly because there wasn't any real plot. There were a few good moments, though.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

My favorite segment is Traffic, and this basically felt like a full length episode of it. I do get why some people prefer more plot driven episodes.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I thought this was an outstanding episode as well. You don't always need to drive the plot forward. In fact it was kind of old-school Night Vale, just a neat little standalone thing. I had goosebumps nearly the entire way through!

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

extradite THIS! posted:

I thought this was an outstanding episode as well. You don't always need to drive the plot forward. In fact it was kind of old-school Night Vale, just a neat little standalone thing. I had goosebumps nearly the entire way through!

I've seen other people suggest that this episode was an intentional return to the feel of early Night Vale since it's episode 101.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

extradite THIS! posted:

Yeah, I get that. It definitely felt like an older episode with the way Cecil was just The Voice of Night Vale and didn't talk about his personal life. I liked some of the stuff in it (my favorite line was "We remind you that what seems like a terrible year may, in fact, just be the beginning of an era of terror"). But the premise of "these are physical things, these are not" wore out after a few minutes for me, yet it kept going for the entire episode. I would have preferred a little more variety. Whatever, I'm not saying I hated it, it just wasn't my favorite, but I'm glad other people liked it.

ThatOneGuy
Jul 26, 2001

Revolutionary Taste.
When I heard the cities being listed for the All Hail show, I decided to listen for something close and just go there. Then you said Columbus, which caused me to recover the password to my Ticketmaster account.

This is good, I like this tour stop.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

I felt like it was the worst episode of Night Vale - it wasn't bad, but it wasn't good, either. Like Jurgan said, the joke was funny and then it was stretched for the entire episode and got old. I dunno, the whole episode felt weird for the sake of being weird, rather than being weird for the sake of being funny or otherwise interesting.

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

My favorite segment is Traffic, and this basically felt like a full length episode of it. I do get why some people prefer more plot driven episodes.

It was exactly this - I like Traffic in small doses, but it was just too much for me. I'm sure I'll listen to the episode again in the future, but I'll also probably skip it more often than not, too.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
While I prefer traffic in smaller doses (and didn't mind the episode) I would honestly listen to an entire episode of Cecil's advertisements.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
I enjoyed the last episode. It hit the right balance of bleak and reassuring that made early Night Vale something I went to when I was in a really bad place. I like Night Vale most when the horrifying is made mundane. I get tired of the twee episodes where something mundane has a veneer of horror.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Yeah, me too. I enjoy this kind of episode a bunch. My favorite section is traffic and this episode hit that spot of bleak but hopeful nostalgia real good.

But drat you guys for the dead puppy story. I teared up :smith:

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I liked the episode but I'm glad every episode isn't like it.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i cant wait until there are nielsen ratings for podcast episodes

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Definitely one of my top 5 favorite episodes and the weather really fit in well.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

What I find really interesting is that this is a love it or hate it kind of thing. Can't please everyone 100% of the time. Even though I didn't like it, I do like that they're willing to take risks - some of the better episodes strayed from format.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
https://mobile.twitter.com/aurahack/status/832320270278983681?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I love that Night Vale has all these bizzare projects that show the City Council really wants to be a coastal town.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
I love how Cecil is still kind of oblivious to everything, and that there's more mystery to what happened in 1983, I kind of want to know the dark details, but it's also tantalizing all the clues dripped around!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

RedMagus posted:

I love how Cecil is still kind of oblivious to everything, and that there's more mystery to what happened in 1983, I kind of want to know the dark details, but it's also tantalizing all the clues dripped around!

Isn't it that Night Vale was a sister city with a town in the USSR, and in 1983 there was the Able Archer incident where for Night Vale nothing happened like in our reality, but for the Russian town it led to World War III, which is why Night Vale hasn't heard anything from them since 1983, but sometimes the realities kind of blend over? I remember it originating in one of the Zack Parsons episodes.