Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch
Who here is good at balancing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Amuys posted:

I can walk for at least 5 feet on a rail road rail without falling off

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

How do I make ma Ys less bad?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Tagichatn posted:

delete the ocean

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Get rid of the coastal recruits only bullshit. They can swim in the loving reservoir.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Decrepus posted:

Remove all water nations.
From Notion to NOcean, the mod that makes it so you can't pick an UW nation.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Tagichatn posted:

Add the Worthy Heroes image to a mod that makes their units 1 gold, ressize 1, very much better, and available on land.

e: adding a master password to the game and only playing on ones you personally host also helps.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Amuys posted:

Emphatically not me. Which reminds me:

I made an updated version of my bear tribe mod.

It was supposed to just be a simple update to reduce the insane power level. It actually ended up as a huge rewrite that added a civil war between the religious and secular factions via some crazy event modding. This is how most of my projects go.

Get it here

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Debug testing province connections:

Looks good to me..? Type of connection still to come, of course. And, as a reminder, province centerpoints will be adjusted for province shape - just not part of the debug visualization atm.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Voyager I posted:

If you have the two underwater players start in the same body of water like that, doesn't it risk the shared sea immediately becoming a Thunderdome where the winner gets to play the game with tons of provinces and two capitals? It doesn't seem like you can reliably assume the land nations will be able to interact with the water in the very early game, so the UW guys won't be facing the same risks for committing hard to an early war that a land nation does.

All I can say is pretty much what everyone else has said: water is very poorly implemented in Dom4 and mapgen alone can't save it. The only kinda interesting water game I've played had 4 waters nations and actually saw some diplomacy due to multiple borders; anything else is just thunderdome or wanking off irrelevantly in the corner. I tend to think thunderdome is the more interesting option of the two.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

that looks good to me

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Split a map 50/50 between water and land, and have equal numbers of water and land nations, maybe?

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Leperflesh posted:

Split a map 50/50 between water and land, and have equal numbers of water and land nations, maybe?

Considering the limited number of water nations in any given era, that requires a low player count.

A possible example:

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Leperflesh posted:

more like

Decrepus posted:

Remove all water nations.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Autocast that global that lets everyone go underwater at the start of every game.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Feb 1, 2017

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Corbeau posted:

Considering the limited number of water nations in any given era, that requires a low player count.

A possible example:
[[map]

I think ideally you'd want the map to encourage all water nations to end up bordering all other water nations. Everyone having either one or two neighbors makes it pretty thunderdome-y even with a relatively large player count.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

scrap the project it's gone sour

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Actually all this talk got me to re-tweak my algorithms on island placement and throne depth - and I like the results:

I'd play on this. Assuming there were enough water nations, of course.

e: or this:

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Feb 1, 2017

Godlovesus
Oct 16, 2015

Ask me about continually throwing myself at the enemy and losing every single time in EU4 Multiplayer.
Posting to be authenticated on Brainwrinkle

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Corbeau posted:

A possible example:

Culka
May 20, 2007
Nothing

I'm at a loss, that throne placement makes winning much harder for the nation starting far from then than for the one starting right next to them.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I don't get it.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Loss.jpg

And here I was looking for the ring.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Oh goddammit Decrepus.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Culka posted:

I'm at a loss, that throne placement makes winning much harder for the nation starting far from then than for the one starting right next to them.

Winning is often hardest on the new Pantokrator.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

lmao

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Tagichatn posted:

Make the lowest-tier Morgen mage-commandress recruit-anywhere. Give the Merrow Druid s1 so they can communion.

Edit: you can either make them w1s1?1 or w1e1s1?1. Either works.

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Feb 1, 2017

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
- Increase Merrow base att/def to make up for them being 12 gold.
- Reduce cost of their stuff in general
- Make the swans actually sacred
- Give Morvach Knights an AoE1 steam weapon U/W
- Delete them from the game after doing this because UW is not good, conceptually.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

jBrereton posted:

- Increase Merrow base att/def to make up for them being 12 gold.
- Reduce cost of their stuff in general
- Make the swans actually sacred
- Give Morvach Knights an AoE1 steam weapon U/W
- Delete them from the game after doing this because UW is not good, conceptually.

jBrereton you are gonna have to walk me through your red text because man I do not get it.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

i would also like to know

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Just in: province types! Maps for critique - though keep in mind that border terrains (mountains, rivers) aren't yet implemented. If you see a farmland next to a cap, know that there is 100% going to be a mountain range between the two provinces (likely completely impassable, but a mountain pass connection is possible).

Debug Color Guide:

Land:
Light Green: Farmland
Mid Green: normal boring average province
Dark Green: Forest
Beige: Wasteland

Sea:
Light Blue: Kelp (Farmland Sea)
Mid Blue: Sea
Dark Blue: Deep Sea
Pink: Coral (Forest Sea)

Special:
Red + white dot: starting location.
[anything] + red dot: throne location.

I may implement underwater wastes (dead zones/algae blooms), and I definitely will implement caves (likely both land and sea versions). Swamps will come with rivers and generally either appear where rivers run into the sea or where they peter out into flatland.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Ramc posted:

jBrereton you are gonna have to walk me through your red text because man I do not get it.

Someone in the UK thread in D&D has a very oblique sense of humour. There's one poster with red text about their taste in wallpaper, and another one about bolognese. Probably a few others that I forget.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Also, caves:

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
And impassable mountains, which I'll be adding passes to and/or breaking up in order to prevent dead-end provinces.

Am also testing most kinds of special starts. All except cave, swamp and mountain are working right, I think. The above map was testing forest starts so there are a shitload of forests on it.

e: for laughs, this is what all wasteland starts looks like:

Nobody actually starts *in* wasteland when they're tagged for a wasteland start, but they'll have wastelands nearby. Lookin' at you, Hinnom (and successors).

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Feb 2, 2017

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Looking really cool, Corbeau! Is your plan to get all of the mechanics behind the generation ironed out, and then create beautiful pixel art to populate the maps?

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

How are u posted:

Looking really cool, Corbeau! Is your plan to get all of the mechanics behind the generation ironed out, and then create beautiful pixel art to populate the maps?

Yup. Everything that I've posted so far is for visualization of the raw map data; I'll probably keep some form of simple display in the program so that you can quickly check a map using the visualizer (which takes 2-3 seconds to create and display) before committing the time to render that data into a nice higher-res pixel map (which will take longer - I'd like to think I can improve on the Dom4 map generator speed, but no promises).

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
New patch is out, dogs are smaller.

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

Interesting issue: How will sailing nations work with such tiny sea zones? Normally sailing is a super amazing ability, but looking at the map it seems like you don't get much utility at all from the 2 sea zone skip. Maybe sailing distance should be increased to compensate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

VerdantSquire posted:

Interesting issue: How will sailing nations work with such tiny sea zones? Normally sailing is a super amazing ability, but looking at the map it seems like you don't get much utility at all from the 2 sea zone skip. Maybe sailing distance should be increased to compensate?

fuckem.

• Locked thread