Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
Ice types are so bad no one wants an ice type to get a boost on one of the most common attacks in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I usually stick Ice Beam or Blizzard on someone and call it a day. Or my Feraligatr's Ice Fang. The closest I get to an Ice type is Lapras

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
There are a number of Ice-types I would like to use, but they are held back by the fact that they are Ice-types. :negative:

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I usually stick Ice Beam or Blizzard on someone and call it a day. Or my Feraligatr's Ice Fang. The closest I get to an Ice type is Lapras

... Lapras is a Water/Ice type. Or is that the joke?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

There are a number of Ice-types I would like to use, but they are held back by the fact that they are Ice-types. :negative:

Lapras and Jynx aren't bad, at least in the RBY and GSC eras.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Lapras manages to succeed despite being an Ice type rather then because it is one. Mostly through its high stats (on par with the likes of Swampert, Crobat and Rhyperior) and a large movepool.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Zuzie posted:

Lapras manages to succeed despite being an Ice type rather then because it is one. Mostly through its high stats (on par with the likes of Swampert, Crobat and Rhyperior) and a large movepool.

So... You're saying it's a good ice type. Gotcha.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Zuzie posted:

It helps that its other type is Water, which is a good type overall and jives well with most of Ice's weaknesses(both resists and is strong against Fire, resists Steel, is strong against Rock).

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Cythereal posted:

So... You're saying it's a good ice type. Gotcha.

Weavile and Mamoswine used to be pretty good but I'm not sure if they still are

FriskyBoat
Apr 23, 2011
The big problem with ice is that, outside of maybe Weavile, the Pokemon would instantly be better if it weren't an ice type. Lapras goes from 2 resists and 4 weaknesses to 4 resists and 2 weaknesses with the removal of ice type. Being weak to both fighting and rock sucks rear end too-they're both common, strong attacking types. It's nice to have STAB on stuff, but you're giving up so much to have it on ice that it's not really worth it.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Update 45.5: Kanto Again (But Less poo poo)(HGSS)

Olivine City

"attitude of a Champion, Kotone!"

: It's time for your Pokédex to match who you are. Let me see your Pokédex for a second. I'll upgrade your Pokédex with the National Mode.

Huh, these are actually pretty repetitive sentences going on here.

: Oh, time flies! I have a radio show to record at Goldenrod Radio Tower. You must be heading for Kanto. If you come near Pallet Town, do drop by my Pokémon Research Lab!

Welcome back to HGSS and to an update where I forget exactly where you meet certain NPCs in the postgame and hurriedly press record to make sure I don't miss anything. Kanto time!

I'll be skipping a lot since there aren't too many broad changes from the original games. However, levels have been balanced a bit more and there's even some Gen 3 and 4 Pokemon floating around. Not too many, but enough that you'll notice.

Vermillion City

Mmm, this place doesn't feel as disappointing as before. Maybe now there will be stuff to do??? Crazy to think.

Oh yeah, this is still happening.

Eusine's Theme

"ambushing it here..."

: But running on the water... is beyond me. Still, I am starting to see a pattern.

Oh, do tell

:geno:

: That means... Sorry, Kotone! I've got to go!

The Suicune subplot has now extended to Kanto, instead of ending at the Tin Tower. But it'll still be a little while before it comes to its conclusion.

: Sorry to have kept you waiting! I thought of a new way to play! It's called Object Arrangement! I'll be giving you more details at the Safari Zone. See you there!

Call me while in the middle of shopping why don't you... Anyway, the second big thing about the Safari Zone has just been unlocked and if you thought there were plenty of Pokemon available before then BOY HOWDY you ain't seen nothing yet.

Saffron City

While we've got the Power Plant Problem (tm) to sort out, there are a couple of cool new things to do and we'll do them as they become available.

So if you just OH SO HAPPEN to have a Rotom traded over from the Sinnoh games, then we can enter into the lift of Silph Co. Otherwise, there's a guy standing in front of it.

While we can't explore the 10 floors above us, we can at least head to the Basement. Look familiar?

: Remarkably, ROTOM has the ability to enter and merge with special motors. It's now known that ROTOM can stay inside a motor indefinitely. However, it will emerge if it enters a Union Room or a Wi-Fi Club. ROTOM will also emerge from the motor if it is left at the Day Care. ROTOM may also forget certain moves when it leaves a motor. This Pokémon requires exhaustive observation and analysis. To ensure I get all the credit, my ROTOM research must be kept secret. They will come to revere me as the scientific genius Char...

While I don't know who this amazing short, balding genius called Char is, this area lets you change Rotom into one of its five formes introduced in Platinum, meaning that you no longer need the Secret Key event.

It can enter into any of the motors at any time, but remember that these formes were overhauled in Gen 5, as right now they're Ghost/Electric no matter what forme they are and they can't be used in competitive so it doesn't make too much of a difference anyway. They're still perfectly usable in single player and have slightly better stats than normal Rotom. Each forme also has slightly different Pokeathlon stats.

They will also try and learn a new move whenever they enter the forme and forget that specific move when they leave it. Frost Rotom learns Blizzard, Oven learns Overheat, Fan learns Air Slash (lol), Wash learns Hydro Pump and Mow learns Leaf Storm. Again, since they also don't get STAB from these moves, they're not too useful now, but give it a year or so and hoo boy, you'll see exactly one of these formes absolutely everywhere.

We'll keep Fridge Rotom since I haven't eaten in a long time. I wonder how long I can keep this joke up?

Vermillion City

Next up on the agenda is this silver haired beaut.

"The Champion from the Hoeen region."

: Have we met...before? That's not possible. All the Trainers I have battled seem to have the same look, anyway. Especially the ones who gave me tough battles...

: I am investigating why LATIOS, a Pokémon from Hoenn, decided to leave Hoenn to come here. LATIOS is a Pokémon that has a lot of do with Soul Dew, a gemlike Orb. Considering the fact that LATIOS is now in Kanto, it is possible to assume that this has to do with the Soul Dew. LATIOS is a Pokémon that travels a great distance. It'll be difficult to find without any machine to track it with. But any Trainer will be drawn to it, won't they? I must go. May our journeys cross again.

Oh goody, another roamer. Like Entei and Raikou roaming Johto, Latios in SoulSilver, or Latias in HeartGold, will now start roaming Kanto. Yeah, we'll get to all these bloody roamers one of these updates... and I fear it's not that far away. As for the other Lati? Stick around and find out. (Also spoilers, you don't get to battle Steven in this game. Next gen!)

Underground Path

I wonder what's down here?

: They would eventually cause trouble... It makes me mad just thinking about it... Aha! That's a RageCandyBar! Can I have it? Please!

: How upsetting! But this is so good! Munch munch! Aargh! Makes me mad! Munch munch! Aargh... ..................Phew! I am feeling much better. Thank you for your candy! I want you to have this!

: tick- tock tick- tock tick- tock tick- tick... .................. ..................

Kanto is weirder than I remember.

Saffron City

Another good deed done. Gotta say, Copycat girl has some cool plushies, wouldn't mind some myself.

These would look right at home next to my Treecko doll.

: Aw! It moved! It's a real BANETTE!

:allears:

Since we're nearby, might as well go for a ride.

Magnet Train

Eh, since we can just Fly to Indigo Plateau and then to any location in Kanto or Johto from there, the Magnet Train is kinda... pointless. Oh well.

Pewter City

It's been a few years, but the renovations are complete, excellent. But while I'm sure all this old crap is interesting, our favourite Champion calls for another event.

"a crowd."

: Wow! The thing you have... This stone is...so mysterious! Something seems to be shining inside... The stone is modest...yet hiding something wonderful! You should have it studied by experts.

: Thank you for your patience! It took me a little while, but I have confirmed it! This is an Orb that contains what is called Soul Dew.

: It has the power to bring out the true potential of LATIAS and LATIOS. The spirit of these Pokémon and Soul Dew are said to call out to each other... The only thing that puzzles me is the place Soul Dew was found. Why Kanto?

As an aside, unlike Gen 2, we can find fossils by rock smashing in certain places and have them brought to life here. However, what fossils you get are version exclusives, with Helix and Claw being HG and Dome and Root being SS. The Gen 1 fossils are found at the Ruins of Alph, while the Gen 3 fossils can be found at Cliff Cave. Old Amber can be found in either version at the Ruins of Alph, while the Sinnoh fossils can be traded over and revived here if need be.

: I would love to challenge it, but I will let you go for it! What? You are not scared, are you? Don't be reserved. Go for it.

Wild Pokemon Battle (Kanto)

Oh boy it's a Legendary. In HG, you'll be facing a Latios instead and these guys are a bit tricky to catch, not just because of their 3 catch rate, they also hit pretty hard too.

Hey that's my job. Anyway, the Enigma Stone event is completely unavailable now, do to being a limited time Wi-Fi event and we all know how well DS Wi-Fi lasted. So it means the other non-roaming Lati and Soul Dew are completely unavailable now. Unless you hack of course.

This Lati is gonna be a pain cause I just noticed it isn't night time, meaning Dusk Balls are useless. Even under the best conditions with an Ultra Ball, we only have a 4.3% chance of catching it. Nah mate.

At least if it's Asleep, it can't remove its status with Refresh. But even with these optimal conditions, it's only a 7% chance to catch. However, past 30 turns, a Timer Ball is the better choice, giving a 9.2% chance. It's good to keep those numbers in mind, since these games have a LOT of legendaries.

Eventually the bastard stays in.

Pewter City

: I don't think you had to give everything you've got, and that scares me... I've been away from the Hoenn Pokémon League for too long. I'll have to excuse myself. .................. Oh, I never got your name. ...But I won't ask for it this time. Our fun will have to wait for the right time.

We'll see you in a couple HGSS updates, probably.

Pokemon Gym

It's now Gym time. Unlike Gen 2, where it's best to take on the Gyms as you see them so you don't get too overlevelled, it's actually fine to take on the Gyms in the original order, since they've all had a level boost and are kinda tough now. So that's what we'll do, because why the hell not. Levels seem to be up all across the board, so nice bonus!

Like with a few Johto gyms, some Kanto ones also got a bit of a redesign for the better. But Brock has always been a straight shot to him.

: I'm an expert on Rock-type Pokémon. My Pokémon are impervious to most physical attacks. You'll have a hard time inflicting any damage. Come on!

Gym Leader Battle (Kanto)

Man, hear that music, see that flat 10 level increase, peep those usable movesets. Man, I love remakes sometimes, they need to do more poo poo like this, means I don't think everything's a pile of garbage like usual.

Hmm, we're still while away from Power Whip, huh?

But at the end of the day, they're still only Rock types, there's not tooooooo much to go over.

Dunno why this thing still hasn't evolved yet.

Okay now there's a Special Defense boost going on and I don't really like that. Thankfully I only have like two special atackers.

You should get some cream for that buddy.

This guy's a bit of dick.

I'm the one hurting here, rear end in a top hat!

WHY DO YOU HAVE SO MANY

I think that's enough of that.

"rock-hard resistance..."

: You're stronger than I expected... Go ahead--take this Badge.

: I'll give you the move Rock Slide, too. It can sometimes cause your foe to flinch.

: Just wait and see. I'm going to become a lot stronger, too.

Unlike Gen 2, we can actually see what Kanto badges we've got. And also unlike Gen 2, every Kanto Gym Leader gives away TMs, instead of just the two. So let's move onwards!

: We've come up with new objects. With these, you should be able to meet lots of different Pokémon. Do your best!

Hey don't spoil the new stuff before we get to it, give it a few updates.

Route 3

One small change to Route 3 is the addition of these rocks.

Now if you just OH SO HAPPEN to have a Deoxys, then you can change its forme at any time using these meteors. Like with most event Pokemon, there's no way to get it on a Gen 4 game now. You could transfer it over from Ranger 3 IF you downloaded the event for it when it was available on Wi-Fi. Then you can get an unlimited amount of Deoxys, but you can only send one to every cart. And even if you have the event, you still need another player to even attempt the mission, because gently caress you. Still, uh, at least you still have the very slim option, maybe? Wi-Fi events are garbage.

Pokemon Gym

Second Gym time, it's a large pool that's easy enough to navigate.

: You may have a lot of Johto Gym Badges, but you'd better not take me too lightly. My Water-type Pokémon are tough!

Misty can be a bit tough if you don't have too much to take on Water types, like me. Since it's her TM, she's replaced Surf with Water Pulse, which might not be the best idea.

Her Starmie is still a fuckin problem.

And also really annoying.

Thankfully, in basically every iteration it's in, it's highly allergic to Psychic STAB, so it's not too too much of a threat.

Gah, stop it.

Dunno why Quagsire also has Water Pulse, but at least it still has Earthquake, as well as Rain Dance to make its team members stronger. It's also best to go for physical moves when it boosts its Special Defense up too much.

Alright, cool

Lapras is also a bulky problem with good STAB and can even hit hard with Body Slam.

Case in point.

Stop iiiiiiiiiiit

: I admit that you are skilled... Here you go. It's the Cascade Badge.

: It can sometimes confuse your foe. You've managed to defeat Trainers all the way from Johto. I'm sure you have a good use for it. Does Johto have a lot of powerful Trainers? I will someday go on my journey to battle with powerful Trainers!

Two down, six to go. Easy peasy, right?

Pokemon Gym

Last on the agenda for today's update is Vermillion Gym.

: The traps at this Gym have been out of order for a while. But the traps are back up and running now! Why lucky, you may ask... Because you can train yourself better this way! Make up your mind and go for Lt. Surge!

An apt description. Indeed, if you wait until after solving the Power Plant Problem (tm) to take on this Gym, then the "puzzle" has been reactivated. Isn't that fun?

"Better press it."

It only took me like five minutes to do this piece of poo poo. Let's never do that again.

: It may not be very smart to challenge me, but it sure takes guts! When it comes to Electric-type Pokémon, I'm number one! I've never lost of the battlefield. I'll zap you just like I do all my enemies in battle!

Hey, do you like Double Team, Static and Shock Wave? Then this is the battle for you! I'm gonna try and quash any Double Team attempts, cause it can very quickly get out of hand.

Now out of the two Electrode, one is more of a supporter with Light Screen and the other one explodes.

Guess which one we're facing. Well, were facing.

Oh my god ain't this just a barrel of monkeys? Still, I've got the good matchup only through chance, since I didn't know what he'd send out after he exploded on me.

Why do they always have so many items?

Electabuzz is a mixed attacker with Light Screen, so I'm gonna have to stick to Rock Slide, alas.

SolidSnake fucks up his whole team, but there's still one more to go.

: Oh, last one! Never give up!

That won't save you. Now get out of here.

Tricks are for kids.

Pokemon Gym

: OK, kid. You get the Thunder Badge!

: Take good care of it, OK? There is something else. Here is a great TM for you!

: Use it to go like lightning! Hey, kid! Still slugging and chugging away? When you go north, you will see a big city called Saffron!

And that's three badges down. There's still plenty to do, but next time, it's back to the Battle Tower for the level 50 challenge. Stay tuned.

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Feb 1, 2017

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Crosspeice posted:

: Remarkably, ROTOM has the ability to enter and merge with special motors. It's now known that ROTOM can stay inside a motor indefinitely. However, it will emerge if it enters a Union Room or a Wi-Fi Club. ROTOM will also emerge from the motor if it is left at the Day Care. ROTOM may also forget certain moves when it leaves a motor. This Pokémon requires exhaustive observation and analysis. To ensure I get all the credit, my ROTOM research must be kept secret. They will come to revere me as the scientific genius Char...

quote:

Now if you just OH SO HAPPEN to have a Deoxys, then you can change its forme at any time using these meteors. Unlike most event Pokemon, Deoxys is still easy enough to get in Gen 4, you just need the Ranger games. While I believe Ranger 1 and 2 only let you have one Deoxys per save file, Ranger 3 lets you get unlimited Deoxys... so long as you have a co-op partner.

I don't think this is correct. The first Ranger only allowed you to send a Manaphy Egg, the second didn't have Deoxys at all. The third did let you send unlimited Deoxys, so long as you cleared its mission...which itself was an event, so that was not better. Needless to say, GameFreak learned from this and...oh wait, now even items that you could get normally before are tied to events. My bad!

quote:

An apt description. Indeed, if you wait until after solving the Power Plant Problem (tm) to take on this Gym, then the "puzzle" has been reactivated. Isn't that fun?

I...did not know that. I never went to Surge after clearing the Power Plant, I was sure that just did not work anymore because GameFreak realized it was terrible. Of course, I overestimated them again. Of course.

Also, is it just me or are the images smaller this update?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I didn't know the puzzle was tied to the Power Plant. Neat.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

I don't think this is correct. The first Ranger only allowed you to send a Manaphy Egg, the second didn't have Deoxys at all. The third did let you send unlimited Deoxys, so long as you cleared its mission...which itself was an event, so that was not better. Needless to say, GameFreak learned from this and...oh wait, now even items that you could get normally before are tied to events. My bad!

You are correct for the most part, I was getting things confused with Manaphy, as well as the Deoxys mission from the first game, which didn't let you transfer it over. I had forgotten about the Deoxys event in Ranger 3 being available for a limited time, but I've never much cared for events, as I just use AR to just get around them. It's a dumb concept.

quote:

Also, is it just me or are the images smaller this update?

Compared to a Crystal update the HGSS images are smaller, since I enlarge the Crystal images by 2x, whereas I don't change the HGSS images. In comparison to other HGSS updates, they're the same size.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Yeah, I also didn't know that Surge's Gym GimmickTM was tied to repairing the Power Plant's issues. That's actually clever.

Also, I hope this mysterious scientist Char doesn't try to drop an asteroid on the planet in the near future.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
it's very clever and also like 90% of people are gonna miss it cause most people just get Surge out the way once you make it to Vermillion

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

The drop dead dumbest wi-fi event from this era is by far the Secret Key from platinum.

Like crosspiece said, you only need to bring a rotom, any rotom, to the elevator in Silph Co and then you can go downstairs and hooray its rotom form change time.
In Platinum, the only way to do this was with the Secret Key on a hidden door. The problem is this key was only given away once, around the game's launch for under a month, and never again. So if you ever want to use Rotom But Better after that tough luck; there's also no mixing records like in RS to share event items.

Since this made Rotom's forms technically an event Pokemon, this is also why they were soft-banned from Platinum & HGSS' battle frontiers: it just reverts you to normal Rotom for no reason. I also don't believe you could take them on wi-fi at all, they would automatically revert to normal Rotom (same with Origin Giratina & Sky Shaymin)

I rank it higher than most events because those are usually just legendary pokemon most people probably wont use and they get released in a bunch of different ways (like 4 or 5 different shaymin events alone).

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

rannum posted:

Since this made Rotom's forms technically an event Pokemon, this is also why they were soft-banned from Platinum & HGSS' battle frontiers: it just reverts you to normal Rotom for no reason. I also don't believe you could take them on wi-fi at all, they would automatically revert to normal Rotom (same with Origin Giratina & Sky Shaymin)
Isn't that for compatibility reasons, since none of those alternate forms existed in Platinum and Pearl?

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

FractalSandwich posted:

Isn't that for compatibility reasons, since none of those alternate forms existed in Platinum and Pearl?

You could still take them into local battles. iirc, the other game would just display the normal sprite, but all the stats & abilities would be correct. Same way the 3rd gen handled Speed Deoxys, basically. I could see that being the reason why you couldn't do random battles, since that'd be a big advantage to Rotom users since you could hide what move you have, but even friend battles did that.

It's still silly for the frontiers since both games that have them have the rotom forms.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Update 46: Battle Tower - Level 50

Inside Battle Tower

It's the third Battle Tower challenge, one that most people doing postgame facilities should be familiar with: it's level 50! Who've we got to help us through?

First up is Bonzo the Snorlax by a busted-up mailbox. The fact that we have a Snorlax means we'll have a pretty easy time. But then we're gonna add a Belly Drum + Rest set on top of that? Honestly, we could probably sweep through the entire challenge with just this one Pokemon, but where's the fun in that? Well, lots of fun, actually, but we have five submissions, so everyone gets their time in the sun.

Then we have Techno the shiny Porygon2 by Kikas. It's a mixed attacker, which is fine has Porygon2 has pretty balanced stats and has a good amount of coverage to deal with, uh, Rock types? Well it'll definitely lay in the hurt with Thunder, so long as it hurts.

Last up is Armstrong the Octillery by Solumin. A mainly special attacker with Hyper Beam, maybe the Quick Claw will pull out some clutch kills. Let's get started.

Soon we'll be halfway done with this Tower. Admittedly, five updates on this place might be overkill, but if they have this expansive facility all ready made, might as well show it off, right?

Standard fare as per usual, 7 battles in a row up against 21 different Pokemon.

First up is a Girafarig with Psychic, Crunch, Earthquake and Dream Eater, holding a Scope Lens. Don't fall asleep on this guy, cause it can pack a punch! Well, uh, not really, Snorlax is still really bulky.

"maximized ATTACK!"

This attack is NASTY if you can pull it off, hardly anything here is gonna survive this hit.

A one hit knockout. However, we now face a pretty nasty customer. This Machamp has Cross Chop, Earthquake, Thunderpunch and Fire Blast, holding a Gold Berry, so it might surprise you with its coverage.

One of Snorlax's downsides is its Speed, so now it's Armstrong's turn.

Close, but this Machamp is a tough customer, still Techno should be good to finish up.

Oh yeah. poo poo.

Thankfully, we're dirty fuckin cheaters, hell yeah.

Finally, we face a Gyarados with Surf, Hyper Beam, Zap Cannon and Rain Dance, holding a Miracleberry. It has a powerful Hyper Beam at its disposal, but otherwise, its bad Special Attack doesn't make it much of a threat.

Ohohohohohoho, YOU FOOL

A close call, but we've made it to battle 2!

Let's drum against this physical tank. Shuckle knows Wrap, Sandstorm, Rest and Toxic, holding Leftovers, so it's a real goddamn bitch and I hate this goddamn sonofabeeeeeeetch. Kill it quickly.

Yeah gently caress this, I'm going to sleep.

"MINT BERRY!"

Yeah, it's a RestoChesto set, except there's not really a good name for this one. Uh, Minty Fresh Rest? Sure.

Despite being a +6, Shuckle still takes the hit. Just goes to show how crazy it is.

And we won't be seeing what this Slowking can do. It has Surf, Psychic, Amnesia and Rest, holding a Mint Berry, so it can be tricky if you let it. So don't let it.

Fun fact: despite not being able to use Legendaries until the level 70+ challenges, opposing trainers can use them no problem from level 50+. But even then, it's only the legendary birds and even then, Zapdos is in the 50, 60 and 70 challenges, while Articuno is only in the 50 and Moltres in the 80. No legendaries are used in the 90 and 100 challenges for whatever reason.

Even the strongest bird can't stop the lax.

Battle 3 time and we're up against a Dugtrio with Earthquake, Slash, Sludge Bomb and Hyper Beam, holding a King's Rock. It'll definitely land an attack on you, so hopefully it won't hurt too much.

It's doing a lot of damage. Against a Pokemon that's not Snorlax!!!

Got a Steelix with Earthquake, Iron Tail, Sandstorm and Rest, holding a Miracleberry. It can be tough to physically break, but we have other options.

Like a crazy octopus with weird coverage moves.

Oh hey, this guy. Starmie has Surf, Thunderbolt, Recover and Thunder Wave, holding a Scope Lens. Again, a Starmie that really doesn't like Psychic moves, unlike its level 30 counterpart.

You think that's a zap?

That's a zap.

Now we've got a Houndoom with Crunch, Flamethrower, Rest and, uh, Dream Eater, holding a Miracleberry. It could hit pretty hard.

But it's up against Snorlax, so now we're facing a Kingdra with Surf, Dragonbreath, Blizzard and Hyper Beam, holding a Gold Berry. This can be a nasty guy to face if you don't have the muscle to plow through, unless you have a Dragon move for whatever reason?

We don't have Blizzard, but Ice Beam is a close second.

Though our Hyper Beam is more effective. Probably.

Fifth fight already, hot drat.

One of the fastest things here, Jolteon has Thunderbolt, Shadow Ball, Hidden Power and Thunder Wave, holding a King's Rock.

Hmm, if it's normally effective against Normal types, that doesn't narrow down HP type. If all Tower Pokemon have 15DVs, then it's Dark type with a power of 70. Not exactly necessary with Shadow Ball, but whatever.

Oh poo poo, a Snorlax. It has Earthquake, Hyper Beam, Surf and Psych Up, holding a Leftovers. Like our own one, this guy is a beast to take down.

But this should do it!

Or, uh, not. poo poo.

Got very lucky though and pull out the win. Man this facility ain't cheating in the slightest!

Number six.

Ooh, the other legendary. Articuno has Blizzard, Icy Wind, Hyper Beam and Mind Reader, holding a Gold Berry.

I think Armstrong's got this.

Too many things in this challenge have Hyper Beam. But I've got it too, so it's okay I guess.

Last trainer!

An interesting choice. Scizor has Metal Claw, Slash, Hyper Beam and Agility, holding a Leftovers. Don't panic reflexively, Gen 2 Scizor has nothing on Platinum Scizor.

Come back in about seven years, boy.

And there we go, a few interesting happenings, but level 50 is a pretty basic challenge, alas. Still, we still have a couple submissions to show, so back in we'll go.

We've got Doomcow, the Miltank by hopeandjoy, which is a strong attacker that might just not die, having a combination of Milk Drink and Leftovers.

Then we have Aegis, the Skarmory by Haifisch, which is a nasty Curse set that definitely won't die to physical attacks, especially if it cheekily dodges them with Brightpowder. It has Rest too, so it seriously won't die.

Let's show them off and see if we can't find the last remaining opponents to face.

Uh, hmm, maybe this isn't the best first candidate to flex on.

Like seriously.

Let's try again!!!

Okay, this is slightly better? Aerodactyl has Earthquake, Iron Tail, Fire Blast and Hyper Beam, holding a King's Rock. A shame it has no STAB, but then I suppose there isn't any to find.

Fainting? I don't know the meaning of the word.

Lapras knows Surf, Blizzard, Thunderbolt and Confuse Ray, holding a Gold Berry. A pretty nasty customer that thankfully has quite a few weaknesses, but also excellent coverage.

But even after all that?

This thing ain't dying, now get the gently caress outta here.

Our last opponent for this trainer is an Electrode, the fastest thing in the challenge. It knows Thunderbolt, Mirror Coat, Explosion and Rest, holding a Miracleberry. Bit of a weird moveset, so hopefully it doesn't explode on you and Mirror Coats all your Earthquakes.

Cool.

Cooooooooool

Oh? You think that'll work?

Ain't dying today, bitch

We'll go through one last trainer so Aegis can strut their stuff and what perfect scapegoat than against this Crobat? It knows Hyper Beam, Confuse Ray, Toxic and Attract, holding a Leftovers. Very support based and of course it knows Hyper Beam.

Guess what that does poo poo to?

Just have a bit of prep...

And we're ready to sweep.

Ah poo poo, of course they have a Starmie. Well that sucks.

"STARMIE!"

Huh?

I'm so confused right now.

But that's about it for this Battle Tower challenge. The only Pokemon we didn't see was Forretress, with Explosion, Toxic, Swagger and Sandstorm, holding a Leftovers. Armstrong would've had no problem.

I would say it was definitely a fun time and we'll be back soon enough for the level 70 challenge. But next time, it's back to Crystal for some more fun..

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Feb 13, 2017

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Those are some mighty interesting PP numbers Techno has there. :v:

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Haifisch posted:

Are you implying these Pokemon were not lovingly handreared by Crosspeice? For shame.

Glaive17
Oct 11, 2012

What is there left to discover about donuts...?
Pillbug

Crosspeice posted:

Ah poo poo, of course it has that. Well that sucks.

Double image here, I assume that means one is missing. What attack does Starmie have?!?!?

Thunderbolt, right?

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Armstrong did so much work :kimchi: :kimchi: :kimchi: proud of that li'l octopus! Thanks for giving it a chance to shine, Crosspeice. I'm glad my favorite Gen II pokemon got some love!

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Haifisch posted:

Ah. Yeah. I completely forgot about that, but Techno went a bit Porygon-Z on me and glitched out the first time, so I had to fix its moves, but forgot to change the PP. But healing at a center fixes it no problem and it was perfectly fine in battle.

Glaive17 posted:

Double image here, I assume that means one is missing. What attack does Starmie have?!?!?

Thunderbolt, right?

Ah. Yeah. I thought I fixed that, but since Rightload has kicked the bucket, this was the first update in ShareX and it had a couple of rough patches. Fixed the grammar also, since I was referring to how the last trainer we were facing had a Starmie, who are usually pretty threatening in battle facilities.

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Feb 13, 2017

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I'm glad Doomcow lived up to her name though, considering I didn't look up a moveset or anything.

I guess with that attack stat and that ability to restore health though, you don't need to actually be good at making competitive viable Pokemon to see the obvious.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Behold the humble beginnings of Scizor before gamefreak would, over half a decade later, go "Wait, what if we made movepools good? And not bad?" http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Scizor_(Pok%C3%A9mon)/Generation_II_learnset#By_leveling_up

Battle Tower in gen 2 is really interesting just to see what gamefreak figured would be good move sets. There's a lot of pretty solid stuff but then also hyper beam for miles. I don't think you ever see Hyper Beam or Giga Impact in the modern battle facilities? Or at least not as much.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I like how they knew rest was such a big thing that half the enemies in the tower had dream eater and no way to put their opponent to sleep

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

rannum posted:

Behold the humble beginnings of Scizor before gamefreak would, over half a decade later, go "Wait, what if we made movepools good? And not bad?" http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Scizor_(Pok%C3%A9mon)/Generation_II_learnset#By_leveling_up

Battle Tower in gen 2 is really interesting just to see what gamefreak figured would be good move sets. There's a lot of pretty solid stuff but then also hyper beam for miles. I don't think you ever see Hyper Beam or Giga Impact in the modern battle facilities? Or at least not as much.

I think some of it is just the power creep of moves, before there were so many viable high power moves for pretty much every type, Hyper Beam was the best some Pokemon got as a high powered move. Now most of them are better served by a high power STAB move without a recharge turn than Hyper Beam or Giga Impact.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

rannum posted:

It took them over a decade to decide to take Bug seriously enough to make some decent moves for the type. This is not at all surprising.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I always feel bad for wanting to use Starmie but then I see mine take down entire teams by itself up to and including the Elite Four and I laugh maniacally.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Crosspeice posted:

Ah. Yeah. I completely forgot about that, but Techno went a bit Porygon-Z on me and glitched out the first time, so I had to fix its moves, but forgot to change the PP. But healing at a center fixes it no problem and it was perfectly fine in battle.

Ah. Yeah. I thought I fixed that, but since Rightload has kicked the bucket, this was the first update in ShareX and it had a couple of rough patches. Fixed the grammar also, since I was referring to how the last trainer we were facing had a Starmie, who are usually pretty threatening in battle facilities.

You just need to get Baldurk's updated version of the Rightload plugin. Or keep using ShareX. Either way works.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

It wasn't until Gen 3 in which the Scyther line got a better bug type STAB then Fury Cutter.

Silver Wind.

By breeding.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Geostomp posted:

It took them over a decade to decide to take Bug seriously enough to make some decent moves for the type. This is not at all surprising.

Yeah, it's not surprising. Just fun to look at how long they neglected movepools and good moves across all types to actually put in the move pools. Just wait out another 2.5 generations, scizor, you'll have your day...!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Dr Pepper posted:

It wasn't until Gen 3 in which the Scyther line got a better bug type STAB then Fury Cutter.

Silver Wind.

By breeding.

Oh GameFreak. :allears:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Dr Pepper posted:

Silver Wind.

By breeding.

It also had Hidden Power Bug. :shepicide:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Dr Pepper posted:

Silver Wind.

By breeding.

i mean a decent bug move (other then megahorn i guess) wasn't even created until U-Turn in Gen 4

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

At least bug is okay now. Ice is still poo poo because of so many weaknesses.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Wasn't X-Scissor introduced in Generation III?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Half of Ice's problem is that Gamefreak insists on statting most Ice types to be slow and bulky instead of glass cannons. It's the same problem Rock has. The few glass cannons of either type tend to be good, or at least okay.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Wasn't X-Scissor introduced in Generation III?
Nope, Gen 4. Gens 4 and 5 did most of the work in making Bug not poo poo.

• Locked thread