Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Mazda 3
Mazda 6
Subaru WRX
VW GTI
VW GLI
Ford Fiesta ST
Ford Focus ST

Alternately, for more money/upscale:
BMW 1-series
BMW 3-series
Audi A3
Audi A4
Infiniti G35/G37

If you're handy enough to DIY stuff up to brakes you can save a lot of the nickel and diming with luxury cars - as you've probably found on your Passat. But they're still more finicky and expensive than something Japanese. But since you didn't really emphasize cost or reliability thought I'd throw them out there. Also VW is probably closer to this category than the other... but borderline.

All can be found with manual transmissions (and would recommend with one, too).

If you lived through owning an early 2000s Volkswagen and came out the other end enjoying it, I don't think a lightly used German car is going to scare you too bad...

Edit: Or in a slightly different direction, the newest generation of Mustang is a seriously nice and good-looking car if you want a high powered muscle car. While still no BMW, it drives and handles a lot more like a European sport coupe than a old school pony car. Thirsty, though.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jan 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
I feel that strangely a current model mazda 6 is closer to a b5 passat in terms of most things (other than reliablity) than anything else I can think of. Get it in red.

The mazda 3 might be a better choice is you don't need to fit tall people in the back though/want a hatch. Ditto on the red.

The mazda red was designed for these cars and looks so good. If you buy grey or something, you are a bad person.

Edit: most modern germans as going to be harder to work on than a b5. If you had a vagcom, you could do anything on a passat, meanwhile the 3 series doesn't have a dipstick.

Madbullogna
Jul 23, 2009
Quick question about reliability.....

I'm about to lose my company vehicle, so need to pick something up for commuting. This will be a second car in our household, and the other meets our trip/grocery/passenger needs, so I'm looking for cheap but reliable.

Any reason to stay away from MY15+ Ford Focuses? There's some decent deals in my area with less than 20k miles on them, both hatch and 4dr variants, and I think they'd meet my needs. I know '15 was the slight refresh, but the little 4-banger is proven by now, yes?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The engine in the Focus has been around in various forms for probably around 20 years now, it's solid. The only majorly questionable piece on new small Fords is the dual clutch transmission.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
And it's not questionable at all anymore in '15 and above, its hardware and software kinks have been entirely worked out. The clusterfuck of bad transmissions and bad TCM software when they were first starting to figure out DCT implementation from like '11-'13 approximately really screwed Ford's reputation. Check out critic reviews for the DCT Focus and Fiesta to confirm. Do a test drive and make sure you like how the DCT feels, though, because it is not a traditional auto and feels pretty different.

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jan 27, 2017

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I still wouldn't buy a Ford DCT. Each new version has "fixed" the issue but yet it's still horrible to drive.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

I still wouldn't buy a Ford DCT. Each new version has "fixed" the issue but yet it's still horrible to drive.

Welp, all I can say is I completely disagree because I own a '15 and think it drives great, as do a ton of other reviewers. And I'm not exactly an idiot (unlike the car being good I can find no one else to corroborate this statement)

It's actually super awesome because I have the paddle shifters with the flexibility of being full auto in stop/go traffic which I encounter constantly.

VVV could not have a more apt avatar, I love it.

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jan 27, 2017

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Michael Scott posted:

And I'm not exactly an idiot.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
The real test of a transmission is 150k mi or so. I don't think many focuses are there yet.
Volkswagen/audi b5 automatic transmissions were reliable up to 125k when they all started making GBS threads the bed (because the maintence schedule was all hosed up because they ran warmer than maybe expected also VWoA is staffed by assholes).

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

nm posted:

The real test of a transmission is 150k mi or so. I don't think many focuses are there yet.
Volkswagen/audi b5 automatic transmissions were reliable up to 125k when they all started making GBS threads the bed (because the maintence schedule was all hosed up because they ran warmer than maybe expected also VWoA is staffed by assholes).

Ford gave everybody with a pre-2015 Focus a 7 year / 100k mile transmission warranty, and I'm planning to sell the car before then.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I'm selling my 1998 Ford Ranger, this is my first attempt at a private sale.

I just got an offer from a dealer for $2200, KBB private sale estimate is $2600, dealer trade-in estimate is $1500. Similar trucks (mileage, transmission, wear, etc) are being listed for ~$3000 - $4500 locally on Craigslist.
Is it worth holding out for another $1000 for a bit?

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I just got an offer from a dealer for $2200, KBB private sale estimate is $2600, dealer trade-in estimate is $1500. Similar trucks (mileage, transmission, wear, etc) are being listed for ~$3000 - $4500 locally on Craigslist.

Just curious about the circumstances because I've never seen a normal dealer that sells vehicles that old. Are you buying anything from them?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

People love old Rangers because you can't get small trucks anymore. I would definitely go the private route.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I got the offer through USAA. They have a buying/selling program that puts your used vehicle up for bid to dealerships only, and then give you a certificate for the highest bid, which you print out and take to the dealership that made it. No trade in required.

I've had it up on Craigslist for a week now, got a couple "im interested in yoru ranger would like to see it call me" and "can u give me the vin number" replies, but basically silence so far. I live in Tacoma land, so Rangers don't have the same popularity here as they do in other parts of the country.

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

I'm currently beating around my wifes old diesel 106, it was a £500 car two years ago and has served us both well, but it is on it's last legs.
The exhaust snapped a mount this week and clean snapped the front downpipe, upon inspection the exhaust is a lot more rotten than I had realized and be hosed if i'm putting a new exhaust on it since its got 4 months left on its MOT and after jacking it up to weld the exhaust i noticed the chassis is also a little soft, so time to get rid.

There is a super tidy 02 Civic Type-R locally for not stupid money. 140k on the clock, 3 owners from new, the last two in past 7 years both female
We already have the super sensible seven seater renault scenic, so i'm looking at something a little more tasty for my 10mile commute and for fun times.
My budget is £1500-£2000 Is there anything in this price range I might have missed? (I've done most of my homework but i'm not perfect) Or should I pull the trigger on the Honda?

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Looking for a tow vehicle for a (3) horse trailer. I'm looking for less than 15 year old full size trucks and under $10k. 4WD is a must and a manual transmission is preferred but not required. No preference for gas over diesel and I'd prefer towing ability over fuel economy. Bumper hitch is preferred over a 5th wheel setup. Larger cab would be nice too, room for 3 or 4 adults.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators

Jedi425 posted:

Thanks for the advice, everyone. We managed to get out and test drive some things today. The CR-V so far is the stand-out favorite, with the RAV-4 and Prius V coming in 2nd and 3rd. My wife hated driving the Prius; unlike me, she actually is a car enthusiast and hated the way the Prius handled, which I can understand. I just don't care as much. We also looked at the iM and the Civic hatch, but they were indeed too small to really fit our reasons for moving to a bigger car. The HR-V was a similar sort of deal; once I got my wife to look at it, she agreed that there was no drat point to it, just get a CR-V.

On a whim, we also checked out the Nissan Rogue, but goddamn, was it bad compared to the others. Noisy on the road, poor brakes thanks to a brake pedal that seemed designed to cause knee pain, it was set so high up.

We can take our time buying, so we're going to watch and wait, see what kinds of deals we can get at a couple of dealerships. I might also give the Costco thing a try, since I'm a member and it's apparently decent if not amazing savings.

Thanks again for the help, car nerds.

Hate to throw another test drive your way, but if your wife enjoys driving don't cross the Ford Escape with the 2.0 ecoboost off your list. That engine is really potent and it is probably the best handling compact CUV behind the Mazda CX-5.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

two_beer_bishes posted:

Looking for a tow vehicle for a (3) horse trailer. I'm looking for less than 15 year old full size trucks and under $10k. 4WD is a must and a manual transmission is preferred but not required. No preference for gas over diesel and I'd prefer towing ability over fuel economy. Bumper hitch is preferred over a 5th wheel setup. Larger cab would be nice too, room for 3 or 4 adults.

You don't have a lot of options here, a average three-horse trailer weighs, what, 5000lbs? And three horses themselves are another 4000lbs when you factor in some tack and feed, plus a few people in the truck, you're right at 10,000lbs, more if you haul large horses.

In the real world(not the imaginary world of manufacturer's advertising-generated towing capacities), 10Klbs is a -lot- of weight to drag around and, more importantly, stop. If you do want to run that off a bumper-hitch(I wouldn't), you'll need a very good receiver/hitch ball setup with a load-distributing hitch setup.

The optimal vehicle would be an extended-cab turbodiesel 4wd Powerstroke/Cummins/Duramax one-ton truck, and I'm sure you already know that.
The issue is, at your price range, you're going to be stuck with an older truck with a fair amount of miles on it. You're also going to have a -very- tough time finding a stickshift - GM quit offering 'em in ~'07, Ford in 2011, Dodge still does but they're rare. Personally, every stick shift equipped H/D pickup I've seen for years is either a)beat to absolute poo poo, or b)owned by some coal-rolling moron or c) both.

Duramaxes are fine after 'O4, when they fixed the lovely cracking-injector issue, GM makes the best automatic with their Allison 1000 trans. Dodge has a good engine with the 5.9 Cummins, but their auto trannies up until ~08 are terrible. After that they went with a 6.7 and six-speed trans that is ok, but your price cap will be an issue.
Ford started out strong with their 7.3 Powerstroke, but the 6.0 has nightmarish turbo issues and wiring-harness problems and the 6.4 has endless hassles with DPF and EGR issues. The new 6.7 is fine once they fixed a couple things in the first couple years(2012-2013), but you're not going to find one for under 10K.

You -could-settle for a gasoline-powered truck, either the V-10 Ford or the 8.1 Chevy are good choices, but they're not near as common as the diesels and fuel economy is pretty bad. They quit making the 8.1 around '07.

I'd either try to find a cream-puff 7.3 Ford truck owned by some old dead guy, but those are going to be 14 years old at the minimum, or a clean Duramax from around 2005-2007, as the newer body style is likely to be over your cost limit. Dodges are an option but I've found that the older trucks kinda fall apart around the engine and anything with the 5.9 Cummins will have the abysmal four speed automatic - if you can find a good stickshift example, buy it.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

You can tow 12K lbs with a $30K gas F150, you don't need absurd 7 liter monsters any more that's old info.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Pryor on Fire posted:

You can tow 12K lbs with a $30K gas F150, you don't need absurd 7 liter monsters any more that's old info.
Too bad he's only got $10K.

Plus, and I'm not going to argue this any further, but what the manufacturer -says- you can tow and what you can actually tow without burning out brakes & transmission, porpoising around corners and bottoming wimpy 1/2-ton suspension are two different things entirely. Tow ratings are a bullshit marketing scam until you get into heavy-duty trucks where the DOT starts getting involved.

It also depends how far you tow - hauling 'the boat' to 'the lake' thirty miles away a few times a year is different than dragging heavy poo poo hundreds of miles at a time over mountains in August.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

two_beer_bishes posted:

As someone who used to have a couple of 3 horse trailers I'm gonna tell you right now: you want a 5th wheel. I sold my bumper pull after driving a 5th wheel setup. There is no comparison, even with load levelers and sway bars. 5th wheels simply tow better, and you'll appreciate that immediately, and poentially seek me out to thank me the first time you're getting passed by a semi, in a windy area or have nervous horses. Consider a dually if you can find one. They are magic for towing stability.

You also have little option other than an old diesel one ton in your price range, if you can even find that. It's gonna be close to or more than 15 years old. And you want an automatic if it's a decent one. Diesels have been getting difficult to find in manual for a decade or more now, and manufacturers were actually tuning down the manual versions, presumably to avoid so many warranty claims.

Honestly if we're talking bang for the buck and reliability, you want an extended or crew cab 04+ one ton duramax, but you'll never get it for $10k. And I agree with Jnny here - if you can find a 7.3 OBS F350 it would make a decent tow and just might be in your budget. If you're going that way I would look for one with a 6 speed manual, as the autos weren't all that spectacular back then.

Lol @ towing 10k of trailer with an F150. You can do it, and you'll come in right around 6 MPG wile doing 45-50 on the highway with white knuckles the entire time. Even the new ones are not proper tow rigs and they are way out of this price range. At $10k with a firm 4x4 requirement you're looking at a 5.7 triton from 96 to early-oh-something. I had one of those for years too. Good truck for filling up the bed with lumber and dirt and stuff. Not a good towing machine. I pulled a 7k RV with it many times and hated every second of it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Motronic posted:

Lol @ towing 10k of trailer with an F150. You can do it, and you'll come in right around 6 MPG wile doing 45-50 on the highway with white knuckles the entire time. Even the new ones are not proper tow rigs and they are way out of this price range. At $10k with a firm 4x4 requirement you're looking at a 5.7 triton from 96 to early-oh-something. I had one of those for years too. Good truck for filling up the bed with lumber and dirt and stuff. Not a good towing machine. I pulled a 7k RV with it many times and hated every second of it.

For my dad I've towed about 10k worth of concrete forms+trailer with an ecoboost F150 five or six times and it was a pleasant experience on and off the highway. Particularly compared to the old F250 with the 460 in it he used to use. Of course, it's 30 plus grand...

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Thanks a lot for the truck advice! I'm not totally set on the $10k budget so we can make room for more if we need to (which it sounds like we do). We're at least a year away from buying this equipment so lots of time to keep saving.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

For my dad I've towed about 10k worth of concrete forms+trailer with an ecoboost F150 five or six times and it was a pleasant experience on and off the highway. Particularly compared to the old F250 with the 460 in it he used to use. Of course, it's 30 plus grand...

Yeah, the new ones are definitely much better, but still not a proper diesel towpig.

And I'm not surprised it would tow better than a 460 especially if by "old" we're takling 80s or earlier. Those things were putting out a paltry 220 HP at one point. Old V8s may make good noises, but they are often pretty awful in every way other than that.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Motronic posted:

And I'm not surprised it would tow better than a 460 especially if by "old" we're takling 80s or earlier. Those things were putting out a paltry 220 HP at one point. Old V8s may make good noises, but they are often pretty awful in every way other than that.

Yeah, I remember those days, towing enclosed car trailers full of dragster+tools+spares with duallie Chevy pickups. Even after loving around with the motors - RV cams, headers, etc, they still sucked rear end until port fuel injection came along, then things started to improve. Even my ancient 6.5 GMC turbodiesel was a better tow rig than the gas engine at the time, and it only made 195hp.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

Git Mah Belt Son posted:

Hate to throw another test drive your way, but if your wife enjoys driving don't cross the Ford Escape with the 2.0 ecoboost off your list. That engine is really potent and it is probably the best handling compact CUV behind the Mazda CX-5.

We actually did look at the Escape and the CX-5 too. The pricing on the Ford was kinda nuts; we could get a crapload of safety features (which now that we've seen, we'd kinda like to have in the mom-mobile) standard on the CR-V or CX-5 at the mid trim, but you have to go all the way up on the Ford to get a lot of the same stuff.

Right now, we're debating the CX-5 or CR-V; from the sound of the Honda guy we spoke to, they don't budge much on price because of the volume of sales they've seen on the CR-V, while the Mazda is who knows what.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

Jedi425 posted:

We actually did look at the Escape and the CX-5 too. The pricing on the Ford was kinda nuts; we could get a crapload of safety features (which now that we've seen, we'd kinda like to have in the mom-mobile) standard on the CR-V or CX-5 at the mid trim, but you have to go all the way up on the Ford to get a lot of the same stuff.

Right now, we're debating the CX-5 or CR-V; from the sound of the Honda guy we spoke to, they don't budge much on price because of the volume of sales they've seen on the CR-V, while the Mazda is who knows what.

Used Fords with all the safety features seemed plentiful and cheap after depreciation. If price is important, they're worth a look. Also, make sure you're comparing apples to apples with all the advanced safety stuff. Each manufacturer's system is somewhat different.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators

AriTheDog posted:

Used Fords with all the safety features seemed plentiful and cheap after depreciation. If price is important, they're worth a look. Also, make sure you're comparing apples to apples with all the advanced safety stuff. Each manufacturer's system is somewhat different.

This is what I was going to suggest next if you like the Escape. You can get a 1-2 model year old Escape Titanium with a CPO and 20k miles or so for $20-22k. They're a fantastic bargain for what they are.

Ford has a pretty strict cpo process and a pretty good CPO warranty. Better than the new factory warranty actually.

If you do look at Ford again though only consider the 2.0EB. It's easily the best choice in the Escape.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

spog posted:

Proposed Budget: Not sure, maybe £20k
New or Used: Used - say 2 years old
Body Style: 4 door SUV
How will you be using the car?: Light use around town. Occasional 100miles runs. Mostly 2 people. Occasional towing of caravans. Will probably never go offroad.
What aspects are most important to you:Being a Mazda Tribute
3. UK

My father's 1st gen Mazda Tribute (aka Ford Escape) is showing its age and he wants to replace it. He really likes it (god knows why), so something of a similar size/type
Not really a performance freak (though, nothing too anaemic).

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV?

nm posted:

What about a Ford Escape?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

CX-3 is a thing too if he wants/can tolerate a hair smaller.

Update on this: I passed on your recommendations. But it turns out that there is no Mazda dealer near him. There is a Ford dealer, but it is staffed by utter fucknuggets.

So, Honda CR-V?

Clumsy Card House
Jan 6, 2008

Proposed Budget: 10-15k. Could go a little higher but would like to keep it in that range.
New or Used: Either. Leaning towards used though.
Body Style: Hatchback or sedan.
How will you be using the car?: 10 mile commute to work, a few 300 mile trips every year to visit the parents, an odd vacation here and there.
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability, automatic transmission, not a complete bore to drive. Bells and whistles aren't that important to me.

I also live in New York and park on the street so I need something that's OK in snow that won't rust easy.

So far on my list I have the Mazda 3 and the Honda Fit. The Prius is out, I know they're good cars but I hate how they look. I don't think I've seen the Chevy Sonic mentioned? They're kind of cute and in my price range, are they garbage?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Getting a 4x4 and looking for any thoughts or advice or things I haven't thought of.

I had a 2008 FJ Cruiser with the off road package that I liked but when I moved out of state and had a crazy commute I had to trade it in for something with better mileage. Now my car with better mileage is paid off, so I want a 4x4 again.

1. It won't get used regularly for commuting so I don't give a poo poo about gas mileage.
2. It'll mostly get used for old mining type roads in Nevada on the weekends. 80% of that could be done in a 2WD F-150 or a Subaru Forester or something, but for the other 20% I want at least a rear locker and I'll probably be putting a smallish lift on it.
3. If I got something that could do the Rubicon well, I'd do it, but after renting a hardcore Jeep in Moab and wheeling the hell out of it there, I've realized that rather than buying and modding a Wrangler myself, it's probably better to buy something more comfortable/useful/practical and when I want to do something super hardcore just head back to Moab.
4. I do one or two long friends or family road trips a year where it'd be nice to have something really large and comfortable. I'm also 6'6" so in terms of someone sitting behind me that kinda changes the definition of large and comfortable a bit. I thought something like a 4Runner would be good enough but after sitting in one and looking at how much room was behind me with the seat all the way back, it's doesn't really seem any roomier than my Accord. Which makes sense because I think they're only about 6" longer than my Accord.
5. Regardless of #4 it needs to be comfortable and relatively reliable and have all the modern amenities. If I was just going to bang around with it locally I'd buy a 60s or 70s Bronco or FJ-40 or something, but...
6. I don't tow anything but I'm also not saying I'd never tow anything.

I basically keep landing on crew cab full size pickup but here's all the stuff I've considered:

1. Tacoma. Too small.
2. 4Runner. It's acceptable but not great on #4. Even ignoring #4 though, it also is a bit lackluster in the head and legroom for me. I can certainly live with it but part of me wants something I can really sprawl out in.
3. Dodge Power Wagon. This probably makes the most sense out of any of them (front and rear lockers, swaybar disco, winch) but I just don't like em as much as Fords. Still in the running though.
4. Used FJ. Not great on #4 either and may not be that easy to find what I'd want nearby (a 2012+ trail teams with low miles).
5. F-250. I like the front axle. 6'6" bed might be nice to do some offroad car camping. Won't fit in my garage, but I think that's the case with many people's F-250s and even though it will rankle I guess I can park it in the driveway and wait to see how long it takes for my aftermarket wheels and tires to get stolen.
6. F-150. Will fit in my garage due to shorter bed. An F-150 with a lift would probably be just as or more useful to me than a Raptor (Even if I had a Raptor I doubt I'd be doing any high speed desert running). But it isn't a Raptor, which also has resale value implications, though I'm planning on keeping whatever I get a very long time.
7. Raptor. Not likely to be available at a reasonable price in the time frame I want to buy (next 3-4 months). If it were available at MSRP I think I would 100% get one.
8. Used Raptor. I had mostly written these off because for the price differential I'd just shell out the extra dough for a new one, but the release of the new one seems to be having a fair impact on used ones (one at a local used lot dropped from 47 grand to 39,999), so they may be in the running.
9. Used G-Wagen. From looking at specs these seem awesome in the legroom/headroom department but terrible in the shoulder room (58" in the 4runner vs 54" in the Mercedes, for reference an F-150 is 67") and I thought the 4Runner wasn't exactly awesome in the shoulder room department to begin with (my Accord has slightly more). That plus 10 year old ones with 50k miles costing 50 grand probably puts them out of the running.
10. Land Cruiser. Both an older solid axle one (91-97) and a new or newish one. Old one I'm not sure would be the best for comfort/size (cars have gotten bigger plus seats are usually much more adjustable these days which can make a big difference for me). Also not sure about reliability. I know they're tanks but I'd be looking at one with 150-200k miles. I like the new ones but they're not significantly roomier than a 4runner and cost a metric fuckton.
11. Chevy Colorado, especially ZR2 if available. Lockers on both ends which is awesome. Not a huge Chebby fan but I'm willing to give them a shot. Front room is better than 4Runner but obviously worse than F-150. Rear room (in the crew cab) is the same for headroom but 3" more legroom (again, compared to 4Runner).

Any input/ideas/stuff I haven't thought of? I think at the moment I'm thinking new F-150 or F-250 and I'll probably rapidly put a lift and 35ish" tires on it. And I'll just resign myself to dying a little bit inside every time I see a new Raptor.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Maybe tell us the mileage/transmission/wear/etc. There's like a 1000% value difference between a 2wd regular cab 250k mile 1998 ranger and a 4wd supercab 50k mile ranger.

If it's a legitimate offer and not just bait to get you in the door, then I'd probably take it. Asking 3000-4500 is not selling for 3000-4500 and for me dealing with private sale hassles for $400-$800 would not at all be worth it.

e: and I know it's through USAA and a "certificate" but until you actually have a check that clears or cash in your hand... All they have to do is say "oh, it wasn't in as good a condition as it was represented or as it looked in the photos" and they're off scott free I would guess.

bird with big dick fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jan 31, 2017

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

scrubs season six posted:

Getting a 4x4 and looking for any thoughts or advice or things I haven't thought of.

I had a 2008 FJ Cruiser with the off road package that I liked but when I moved out of state and had a crazy commute I had to trade it in for something with better mileage.

https://youtu.be/FcfnCdnvjSw

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

khysanth posted:

Turns out the price on the Outback was too good to be true. I def could see signs of an unreported crash on the vehicle body, and the entire steering column would shake whenever you applied even moderate pressure on the brakes (like getting off the freeway).

Sounds like it needs new (or resurfaced) rotors. $300-$500? Ask them to knock it off the price.

I'm also curious to know how you identified it was in an unreported crash given than you've never, in your life, bought a car before, and therefore presumably do not have a lot of expertise in evaluating them.

quote:

To top it off, they changed position and refused to let me take it to an independent nearby mechanic for a PPI unless we had agreed to purchase the vehicle and set a price.

This isn't necessarily unreasonable depending on precisely what they mean by that. Like a reasonable thing would be "We agree to purchase vehicle X today at price Y subject to our mechanic's inspection." If the mechanic says your poo poo is all hosed up then you don't purchase vehicle X at price Y. Most car dealers do not want a car to leave their lot when they have zero commitment to purchase it. That's not unreasonable. What would be unreasonable would be if they said "You can have your mechanic look at it but you own it anyway" or if you said "I refuse to commit to a purchase or price but want to have a mechanic look at it anyway."

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I'm only 90 second in and I don't know what this really is but it's already pretty funny and was that an instrumental Blackstreet parody?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

scrubs season six posted:

I'm only 90 second in and I don't know what this really is but it's already pretty funny and was that an instrumental Blackstreet parody?
If you watch the other 11 minutes, then you can see it's a very good and thorough car review. RCR is a national treasure

I asked about Chrysler vans earlier in the thread, thanks everyone for advice. I'm now a proud owner of Grand Caravan that hauld full sheets of drywall/plywood, 36' ladder, 80 gallons of paint and 3 people at the same time. Also, it was $500. Thanks, winter price slump.

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jan 31, 2017

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

Thanks again everyone. We ended up buying a CX-5 Touring; the Honda people wouldn't give us a thing in negotiations (the guy was at least up front with us, saying they didn't really do much haggling because the CR-Vs sold fast enough they didn't need to), but the Mazda folks gave us a lower price and 0% on the financing, for a car that was basically 90% the same as the CR-V. We probably wouldn't even have thought of Mazda if you guys hadn't mentioned it.

Nitrox posted:

If you watch the other 11 minutes, then you can see it's a very good and thorough car review. RCR is a national treasure

I really liked his review of the Lawn Man.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Also, it looks less lame than a cr-v.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Mazda would be killing it if they could just get their brand into people's consciousness. Their lame commercials with a sleepy Aaron Paul don't exactly inspire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Ammanas posted:

Mazda would be killing it if they could just get their brand into people's consciousness. Their lame commercials with a sleepy Aaron Paul don't exactly inspire

Agreed, they have competitive product but I would say few people who think of a car as an appliance consider Mazda and they have a lot of room to grow in that demo.