Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Skyfactory 3 is a 1.10 skyblock map like agrarian skies, but almost completely without the quest book. It has an achievements book whose challenges you manually mark completed.

It's distributed on the FTB launcher. Not sure if the curse launcher has it too.

It is, as "FTB Presents Skyfactory 3". At this point, basically every FTB pack should appear on Curse as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I'm probably gonna need the guidance of a quest book at this point to be honest, it's been so long :v: Still, thanks, I'll take a look at it.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Ciaphas posted:

I'm probably gonna need the guidance of a quest book at this point to be honest, it's been so long :v: Still, thanks, I'll take a look at it.

To be honest if you've ever played a skyblock, SF3 isn't going to be anything of a stretch to play. Like I've mentioned previously, largely the 1.10 modspace is direct or slightly updated ports of 1.7 mods. There are a few exceptions to this, ExUtils2 is pretty heavily changed from 1.7 ExUtils, and Blood Magic is an entirely overhauled experience, ala the difference between Thaumcraft major versions. Ex Nihilo Adscensio decoupled meshes from the sieves and different mesh materials get you different outputs but it still functions the same way. Mystical Agriculture is basically Magical Crops remade, Refined Storage is pretty much AE1, Extreme Reactors is Big Reactors, Tinker's Construct has gone through big changes but fundamentally does the same things, etc.

Definitely take a look into Chickens, Actually Additions, EnvironmentalTech and Tiny Progressions though.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Craft the World is pretty miserable yeah, personally I'm hoping that Oxygen Not Included turns out really well.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Im finding SF3 a bit of a challenge as i dont have the oodles of redstone needed to make event he basic power gens (yes i got some in the end, but ive used that on an auto hammer, auto sieves are next)

But that aside, im liking it a fair bit. There is no waiting on trees which is think would make every skyblock 1000000% better.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Meskhenet posted:

Im finding SF3 a bit of a challenge as i dont have the oodles of redstone needed to make event he basic power gens (yes i got some in the end, but ive used that on an auto hammer, auto sieves are next)

But that aside, im liking it a fair bit. There is no waiting on trees which is think would make every skyblock 1000000% better.

The cure for the Redstone Problem (and Iron Problem) in SF3 is mystical agriculture. Make inferium plants first, then make the second tier growth crystal, an ender IO farming station, and a completely paper mattock filled with reinforcement upgrades. Use your nigh-infinite font of inferium to make redstone and iron plants.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.
So ive owned minecraft since like way early alphas, but never put much time into it until now. Or at least not a ton. Looking for a few specific mods: Using 1.9.4

1. Something that "remembers" recipes or shows me what i can build based on what i have. No, not Wikipedia. Something in game.
2. Something that fleshes out underwater. Not necessarily a new biome. Just creatures and plants and such underwater. And scuba diving.
3. Any UI mods that make the interface look nicer.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

strategery posted:

So ive owned minecraft since like way early alphas, but never put much time into it until now. Or at least not a ton. Looking for a few specific mods: Using 1.9.4

1. Something that "remembers" recipes or shows me what i can build based on what i have. No, not Wikipedia. Something in game.
2. Something that fleshes out underwater. Not necessarily a new biome. Just creatures and plants and such underwater. And scuba diving.

1.8 and 1.9 are kind of the redheaded stepchildren of modded minecraft versions. You probably want to look at 1.7 or 1.10

1.10 has beefier technical spec requirements, but is being actively developed for most mods right now

1.7 was the defacto modded version for a really long time, so there's a pretty huge library available, and lots of kitchen sink modpacks that had a lot of development

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

strategery posted:

1: Nothing exists that does exactly this, though NEI(Not Enough Items) and/or JEI(Just Enough items) is a stopgap. They store a list of items in the game you can click on to see the recipes for. The only other option is Applied Energistics 2 or Refined Storage, which allow you to create crafting patterns for what you want that crafts from items stored in the system. This option will require power generation mods though.
2: Only thing that really does this is a mod called Mariculture, unsure if it exists beyond 1.7.10.
3: There isn't really anything that does this, that I've ever seen. Mods can add to the existing framework but the framework seems to be set in stone. The appearance of the UI can be changed with resource packs but these only skin the UI, they can't alter the layout.

Another thing is that 1.9.4 is a very, very unsupported version mod-wise. The current mature version of Minecraft for mods is still 1.7.10, and due to issues with how the engine changed from 1.8, and the speed of which 1.9, and 1.10 were released after, most mod authors since skipped 1.8 and 1.9 entirely, going straight to 1.10.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

Black Pants posted:

most mod authors since skipped 1.8 and 1.9 entirely, going straight to 1.10.

Oh that's confusing. At first glance, I thought 1.10 was older than 1.9. Wouldn't it seem better to call it 2.0? Anyway, thanks :D

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Coders are nerds, and x.0 are sacred builds.

Usually, anyway.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Spent the last twenty minutes trying to troubleshoot why my Extra Utils cobblegen wasn't working.

After ten minutes, I realised I was using fluid nodes.

After another ten minutes, I remembered it doesn't work with flowing water.

:suicide:

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Black Pants posted:

Coders are nerds, and x.0 are sacred builds.

Usually, anyway.

There's a reason x.0 builds are sacred, usually an x.0 build includes actually fairly earth shatteringly large changes.

Like DotA was on 6.xx for the better part of ten years and just recently moved to 7.0, which included the first new character released in several years, a huge swathe of character balance changes, changing the nature of how your character grows as you level during a match, changing the map layout, and adding some very significant new buildings to each team that greatly change how the early and mid game play, as well as retooling the character XP curve so you hit max level something like 20% sooner.

Not proselytizing for DotA, just explaining that when I see an x.0 patch that's the kind of scale of changes I expect. They're not always as big as DotA 7.0, but they're generally pretty monumental.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

The reasoning for the numbers is because of what each number means.

For example, Minecraft 1.10.2: It is Version 1 of the overall program Minecraft. Of that, it has 10 major revisions. And of those, there have been 2 minor revisions to the 1.10 experience.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Yeah usually code releases are sets of separate integers rather than a single decimal, so 1.10.1 > 1.10 > 1.9

'Course then you got jerks like Blizzard who insist version 2.45 < 2.5 to confuse the whole damned thing

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Ciaphas posted:

Yeah usually code releases are sets of separate integers rather than a single decimal, so 1.10.1 > 1.10 > 1.9

'Course then you got jerks like Blizzard who insist version 2.45 < 2.5 to confuse the whole damned thing

Or Firefox which gets a new major build number each update.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

CrazyTolradi posted:

Holy poo poo that's insane, and it even works under water. That's handy, thanks. I was more looking for a nuke style block to self destruct a base.

there used to be one on that gears and rod mod they tried to put in Voltz 2 - rotarycraft they had a block that you had to keep power turning the input and if it ever stopped KABOOM- it was designed for base self destruct

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
what's a good texture pack in the vein of ruined future, like ad 2300 chrono trigger

Krakatoah
Jul 8, 2009

Super High-School Level Bean-dog
I think one quest in the TNFC-EZ pack needs to be changed, the 'Tanning' quest in particular seems to only accept Medium hides which is quite odd since small and large hides can also be used to show the same process, the only difference being how much leather the player's given once the whole process is done.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Krakatoah posted:

I think one quest in the TNFC-EZ pack needs to be changed, the 'Tanning' quest in particular seems to only accept Medium hides which is quite odd since small and large hides can also be used to show the same process, the only difference being how much leather the player's given once the whole process is done.
I actually already changed that from its first form as written by the original pack maker -- the quest as it was written required one of each hide. I just set it to medium since those are the most common.
I suppose it would be possible to oredict each type of hide at every step of the processing chain but just about everything yields medium hide so I didn't think it was that important.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Oh god Painterly Custom hasn't updated since 1.8! It's manual option is really confusing. :(

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Vib Rib posted:

I actually already changed that from its first form as written by the original pack maker -- the quest as it was written required one of each hide. I just set it to medium since those are the most common.
I suppose it would be possible to oredict each type of hide at every step of the processing chain but just about everything yields medium hide so I didn't think it was that important.

I didn't look it up, but I ran into that too, and assumed the hides were completely different items. If that's the case, then HQM isn't going to be able handle the choices regardless.

If I were not playing it so much while recovering from some crazy sinus infection, I would have more diligently written down some of the little issues I've seen along the way. There are three things that I thought were a little off. I'd PM them, but I'm actually kind of seeking consensus and extra observations:

1. Something is happening with oak wood in some of the recipes. It's not always taking it for some things. I don't know what the deal is yet though.
2. If possible, it would be nice if the armor quest didn't require exclusively copper. I got to it after I was swimming in bronze, so I had to go out of my way to bang out some copper.
3. IIRC the blast furnace expects ingredients in complete steps, which was frustrating when I was just running through them in a pipeline. So I think it wanted the ingots, then all the double ingots, then the sheets, and then the double sheets. In practice, I was welding ingots as they cooled, banging them down to sheets, and welding them to the next set without pausing in between.

Edit: Let's just qualify these come from my sinus-infected head so I may be projecting them from a parallel reality. That's why I hadn't mentioned them until now.

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Feb 1, 2017

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Ak Gara posted:

Oh god Painterly Custom hasn't updated since 1.8! It's manual option is really confusing. :(

Download 'Definitive Painterly' and make a custom 1.8 pack, then apply the custom 1.8 pack above the definitive pack. MC will bark at you about compatibility but it will still work. Anything missing from the 1.8 pack will be covered by the definitive pack.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Fortis posted:

Download 'Definitive Painterly' and make a custom 1.8 pack, then apply the custom 1.8 pack above the definitive pack. MC will bark at you about compatibility but it will still work. Anything missing from the 1.8 pack will be covered by the definitive pack.

Oh that's easy! I've been trying to copy and paste from one zip to the other!

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
Playing again after taking a break - I enjoy skyblocks too much to stay away forever.

One thing I can't figure out with the new AE "refined storage", is how you force it to keep a buffer of processed craftables on-hand. Glass, silicon parts, a handful of each processor, etc.

There's this incredibly convoluted method with export nodes paired to import nodes and quantity sensors triggering a redstone cutoff but it's imprecise and prone to runaway if it glitches out.

There must be a better way, right?

(Playing skyfactory 3, if it's in that modpack I can use it.)

Edit:

"Refined Storage" is a rework of AE 1, before the crafter changes. In AE1, I can just put a detector under a crafter and have it listen to the redstone signal. I spent a long time on AE 2 so I forgot about that. Too much overthinking!

One day I'll get another sheep so I can start wool production for real.

Harik fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Feb 1, 2017

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Black Pants posted:

Or Firefox which gets a new major build number each update.

Build numbers are pretty arbitrary and up to whoever makes them. The general rule is "higher = newer" but beyond that who the hell knows.

There are open source projects that have been on version 0.X for over a decade. Check out PuTTY!

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/

Created in 1999, used all over the drat place. Still version 0, still in beta.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Are there any modpacks that center on or just make serious use of something like ProjectE? It seems tailor made for a skyblock to be built around it.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Goon Danton posted:

Are there any modpacks that center on or just make serious use of something like ProjectE? It seems tailor made for a skyblock to be built around it.

There's a pack called SkyExchange that was pretty much this for 1.10.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Goon Danton posted:

I would also like to know the answer to this. Most of the compilation mod packs I found did not include it, and there are so many I just gave up after a while.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Stupid question, how do I download the FTB launcher?
[edit] nm, Infinity Evolved seems to be on the technic launcher.

Ak Gara fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Feb 1, 2017

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Rutibex posted:

I would also like to know the answer to this. Most of the compilation mod packs I found did not include it, and there are so many I just gave up after a while.

If you want a retro adventure, there's the very first Feed the Beast (the one where the beast is a giant pyramid that functions by incredibly complex redstone). That's mostly about EE, and various ways of automating EMC.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Wolfsbane posted:

If you want a retro adventure, there's the very first Feed the Beast (the one where the beast is a giant pyramid that functions by incredibly complex redstone). That's mostly about EE, and various ways of automating EMC.

I have a much better custom mod pack I made back in 1.2.5, if I wanted to do that I could just boot it up :shrug:

I was hoping to fool around with some of the new fangled 1.7 goodies, but I'd like to cheat a bit with EMC you know? Keeps the game from getting too slow.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Ak Gara posted:

Stupid question, how do I download the FTB launcher?
[edit] nm, Infinity Evolved seems to be on the technic launcher.

FTB is Curse, so you can just get the Curse Launcher, which I really like. Very easy to modify packs and whatnot.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Rutibex posted:

I have a much better custom mod pack I made back in 1.2.5

And a very good pack it was. Am I right in remembering people said it was illegal because you didn't have ~permission~ to use other people's mods in a single modpack?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ak Gara posted:

And a very good pack it was. Am I right in remembering people said it was illegal because you didn't have ~permission~ to use other people's mods in a single modpack?

:ninja:
From the look of the platforms that idea seems to have gone out the window. I guess the mod pack wars are won.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009

Vib Rib posted:

Ironically, medium hides have been the most annoying for me to get.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
I've been wanting to ask, what are your favorite "new to mods" experiences?

Mine was my first base in technic back just before forestry was removed and mo mobs was in with the block busting ogres or whatever they were called were still in. I had just finished my dirt hut and I was exploring what new weapons I had, and I had accidentally made like 10 spears or daggers or whatever and I was sitting in my dirt hut messing with the chest wondering whats with the 10 kinds of ore and an ogre comes busting in though the wall and breaks the chest I'm using, and the only thing going though my head was "FUUUUUUUUUUCK" and I'm hurling the 10 spears I have at it and it dies. the things going though my head are "I need a new chest, I need a new wall, and I need to go underground".

Another experience I had (after mo mobs was gone), I had made my base in the top of a RP2 rubber tree and I had some IC2 stuff going, there was a storm going on and the weather mod was making that whistling high wind noise, I had made my first solar panel and I had just placed it, I turn by back for two seconds and I hear a lighting strike as it had hit close to me and hurt me. I find that my IC2 solar panel I had just made was just obliterated by lighting. :argh:

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Ak Gara posted:

Wasn't it SirSengir that had the huge issue with modpacks back then? Although, knowing Eloraam, I could see both of them raising a stink.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Having that brought up is funny, because people still ask if mods can be included in their pack leading to me seeing a lot of newer devs all confused and saying, 'Well yeah do what you want with it, I made the mod to be played.'

My first modded Minecraft experience was Never Stop Toasting Lite in.. 1.6.4? I'm not sure why I never really touched modding before that but it might've been due to the fact that previous to it, the only time I did any modding it was opening minecraft.jar and copying the files of some minimap mod into it. A friend invited me to a server he was playing, and he had done some Thaumcraft and had a Hoe of Growth. Which he gave to me, leading to me crafting what was basically a Yggdrasil out of thousands of regular trees. Nothing very dramatic but it had everyone else all 'What the gently caress have you done!?'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

VegasShirtGuy posted:

There's a pack called SkyExchange that was pretty much this for 1.10.

And you lose all your stuff in the tablet and all your emc every time you die.....