Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

I've never seen Shawshank Redemption so that cartoon character is 100% threatening to murder me if I fail to perform fellatio on it.

There's also about a 97% chance it was intentional from inception, which makes it worse in my eyes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Jaguars! posted:

What are some ads that actively drove consumers away the product? On a personal level, I can think of two ads that caused me to switch away to another brand, although they were both for successful products.

I can't remember many off the top of my head other than Romero's Daikatana full page ad (and that's practically cheating) but the mid-90's had video game print ads get shittier and shittier as every single company tried to insinuate that their game was gorier or whatever. It got to a point where you could flip through a magazine and see a pattern emerge: gory ad, sexy ad, insults-the-reader-for-no-reason ad, and then usually an ad for Devil Dice, a game I'm still not sure actually exists outside of a weirdly long-running print advertising campaign. I used to read a bunch of gaming magazines, and I really can't remember an ad that made me think positively about the game in question.

There was one ad I recall where there was a three-page foldout, not for some nice big-titty ladies, but for an ad for a game. When you turned the page and saw the ad it was just a grinning dude in breastplate armor - when you flipped out the trifold it showed that he was just a grinning head on a pike, with some viscera hanging out the bottom, along with some tiny grainy screenshots and copy about how you have to be awesome to not get head-piked or something (?). I don't even remember what the game was, but I do remember not loving renting it.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

FutonForensic posted:

Nationwide's "Boy" Superbowl ad was such a whiplash of bummer that I distinctly remember people tweeting about how they were switching off their service.

What I'd like to know is who thought that was a good idea. The point of insurance isn't to keep things safe it's to cover poo poo after something goes catastrophically wrong. Buying insurance would do literally nothing to prevent a kid from dying in an accident.

Just...what?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Are we posting sad insurance commercials because this one actually does make me cry:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seolYuhGVvY

(not the original audio)

Edit: Yep still works.

GrandpaPants has a new favorite as of 03:25 on Feb 1, 2017

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Jaguars! posted:

What are some ads that actively drove consumers away the product? On a personal level, I can think of two ads that caused me to switch away to another brand, although they were both for successful products.

I used to throw Pandora on whenever I was going for a run and there was one Progressive commercial that would play almost every 3 songs that was always 3x the volume of my music and it consisted of Flo singing bad intentionally replete with missed keys and screeching. I would panic and rip my headphones out every time because I never had a chance to turn the volume down in anticipation. I don't know why companies think latching onto intentionally grating personalities is effective but I decided then and there that no matter how low their rates were, I would never use Progressive. Or Geico for that matter, I hate how universal and aggressive their advertising presence is.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

God Hole posted:

I used to throw Pandora on whenever I was going for a run and there was one Progressive commercial that would play almost every 3 songs that was always 3x the volume of my music and it consisted of Flo singing bad intentionally replete with missed keys and screeching. I would panic and rip my headphones out every time because I never had a chance to turn the volume down in anticipation. I don't know why companies think latching onto intentionally grating personalities is effective but I decided then and there that no matter how low their rates were, I would never use Progressive. Or Geico for that matter, I hate how universal and aggressive their advertising presence is.

All the better; Geico's rates are really only any good if your record is spotless. A while back I had a random seizure and lost my license for six months. Completely not my fault; just a medical thing. So when I got my driving rights back I called up Geico (I had them before this and they were way better than Nationwide) to get my coverage back.

They quoted me quadruple what I was paying before. I expected a bit of a bump but Jesus gently caress was that ridiculous. Progressive quoted me the same rate I had before. Haven't used Geico since. Never did hear that advert, though; probably would have cancelled after that.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Jaguars! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Is3icfcbmbs

Even if this thing cured headaches forever I still wouldn't use it because of that loving commercial that blew out your TV speakers whenever it came on.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Geico has product placement in their goddamn commercials, which skeezes me out way too much to use any of their services.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Thinking on the subject reminded me of a radio ad that was played in NZ about 10 years ago. But it wasn't a commercial, it was a PSA. There was a campaign on at the time about preventing common burn injuries - attend to your stove, don't leave pan handles hanging over the edge, etc.

So this ad gets a time on the radio. It was very simple in concept. A child cries, a sober voice says "A third degree burn doesn't stop hurting, mind your child in the kitchen" or whatever, cue more crying for a bit. But this wasn't some wah-wah-wah off BBC sound library. It was a toddler, absolutely screeching in pain, gasping in air to reach a higher pitch, a primal cry for mommy to come and put you out of your misery. It was a substantial length of time, perhaps about 7-10 seconds, clearly intended to make a listener really uncomfortable. I'd imagine that if you were unlucky enough to hear it for the first time on the neighbors hi-fi, you'd be checking over the fence, wondering if you'd have to help cool the burn until the ambulance arrived. It was a loving unpleasant experience, even in a place that at that time was already very jaded by hyper-realistic car crashes in our famously graphic anti-drunk-drive campaigns.

At the time, there was a regular meta-ad about some ad-man creativity masturbation that would do a spiel about that month's most creative ad, who made it, then they play the ad. Filled in space during the dead hours. I think you can do the maths on this one. I'm listening to the radio one Sunday night when sure enough, the smug little voice comes on, followed by please-kill-me-I'm-melting toddler. But not for long. Sound goes off, and the DJ says, with an air of irritated, rather biting sarcasm, "This ad's been torturing me for weeks now and they give it a loving ad excellence award." Some mostly off the mike statement follows, then nothing. Since it's a long ad, there's quite a long period of blessed silence, long enough to think, wow, that was really unusual. But I'm glad that I don't have to listen to that bloody thing anymore. Then a cheerful, friendly voice comes on and starts shilling carpets or w/e.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Jaguars! posted:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Jaguars! posted:

Thinking on the subject reminded me of a radio ad that was played in NZ about 10 years ago. But it wasn't a commercial, it was a PSA. There was a campaign on at the time about preventing common burn injuries - attend to your stove, don't leave pan handles hanging over the edge, etc.

So this ad gets a time on the radio. It was very simple in concept. A child cries, a sober voice says "A third degree burn doesn't stop hurting, mind your child in the kitchen" or whatever, cue more crying for a bit. But this wasn't some wah-wah-wah off BBC sound library. It was a toddler, absolutely screeching in pain, gasping in air to reach a higher pitch, a primal cry for mommy to come and put you out of your misery. It was a substantial length of time, perhaps about 7-10 seconds, clearly intended to make a listener really uncomfortable. I'd imagine that if you were unlucky enough to hear it for the first time on the neighbors hi-fi, you'd be checking over the fence, wondering if you'd have to help cool the burn until the ambulance arrived. It was a loving unpleasant experience, even in a place that at that time was already very jaded by hyper-realistic car crashes in our famously graphic anti-drunk-drive campaigns.

At the time, there was a regular meta-ad about some ad-man creativity masturbation that would do a spiel about that month's most creative ad, who made it, then they play the ad. Filled in space during the dead hours. I think you can do the maths on this one. I'm listening to the radio one Sunday night when sure enough, the smug little voice comes on, followed by please-kill-me-I'm-melting toddler. But not for long. Sound goes off, and the DJ says, with an air of irritated, rather biting sarcasm, "This ad's been torturing me for weeks now and they give it a loving ad excellence award." Some mostly off the mike statement follows, then nothing. Since it's a long ad, there's quite a long period of blessed silence, long enough to think, wow, that was really unusual. But I'm glad that I don't have to listen to that bloody thing anymore. Then a cheerful, friendly voice comes on and starts shilling carpets or w/e.

England had a good PSA about drunk driving that was short, punchy and not overly graphic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQtTREndJKk

I like the linguistic flash forward that completely recontextualises the bartender's final statement "What's it gonna be?"

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

A question about a response to an ad, rather than the ad itself: I remember someone on this forum (if not this thread?) linking to a blog post about the Guinness wheelchair basketball ad; the blog post talked about how nothing in the ad was specific to Guinness, and noted a recent trend of ads where the point seemed to be to make you remember the advert, rather than the specific product. Does anyone know the blog I'm talking about? I'd like to read it again.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I enjoy reading about how companies try and fail to market to millennials. While looking for something new, I found this NYT article about how Paul Newman is basically the same as Aunt Jemima or Uncle Ben.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/14/business/media/newmans-own-adjusts-to-reach-millennials.html?smid=tw-share&_r=1

Also, changing the label to read 100% of Profits to Charity instead of All Profits to Charity is definitely going to make a difference.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

Jaguars! posted:

Weren't people highly disgusted by those...creatures from the Quizno commercials? If I remember correctly, they had to drop those things because people hated them so much. I could be wrong, though and just remember the hatred.

Oh. I looked it up. They're called "spongmonkeys".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuPTZWhz46M

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
They were a series of youtube videos before Quizno's picked them up so no I don't think that was the issue. It was just another company trying to be hip by using material from the internet.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

It was a very early attempt to use a hot internet thing for marketing purposes, at a time when even the biggest viral videos were pretty drat obscure.

They could have gotten Strong Bad to answer an email about sandwiches from Weebl and Bob and it still wouldn't have meant anything to 95% of the viewing audience.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Beachcomber posted:

I enjoy reading about how companies try and fail to market to millennials. While looking for something new, I found this NYT article about how Paul Newman is basically the same as Aunt Jemima or Uncle Ben.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/14/business/media/newmans-own-adjusts-to-reach-millennials.html?smid=tw-share&_r=1

Also, changing the label to read 100% of Profits to Charity instead of All Profits to Charity is definitely going to make a difference.

I like the implication that millennials were distracted by the powerful face of Paul Newman, an actor they probably only know from the animated movie Cars, which did not feature his face.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

RagnarokAngel posted:

They were a series of youtube videos before Quizno's picked them up so no I don't think that was the issue. It was just another company trying to be hip by using material from the internet.

I..What? Dude, they existed long before Youtube came around.

They existed as Flash on https://www.rathergood.com I never could decide if it was serious or a guy taking the piss

(and holy poo poo this guy is still making these things.)

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Jaguars! posted:

This brought back memories of a NZ drink-driving campaign 20 years back: a short film split into segments between the regular carpet-sales and other pre-movie ads at the local arthouse cinema. Its story ended with a bloody car crash resulting in the driver being blinded and possibly some deaths. It was brutal and horrifying and its only outcome was to thoroughly piss off the crowd and spoil everyone's night out. It was the proverbial mst3k riff-fest except instead of cheering people were screaming gently caress-off at the screen.The staff were apologising to people in the lobby afterwards and we never saw anything like it again.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Jaguars! posted:

I'm not usually one to be all "I'M BOYCOTTING YOUR PRODUCTS!!1" because of advertising, but I watched that goddamn Nature Valley ad where the child actors say they spend hours a day sending emails and it makes the adults sad and it wholesale turned me off their entire brand.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I'm not usually one to be all "I'M BOYCOTTING YOUR PRODUCTS!!1" because of advertising, but I watched that goddamn Nature Valley ad where the child actors say they spend hours a day sending emails and it makes the adults sad and it wholesale turned me off their entire brand.

Ugh, this is so loving annoying. If kids have active engaged parents they're just as likely to go camping and build forts and get chased by bears as they were back in the day. There were kids that would sit by themselves inside all day reading comic books or playing games back then too.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Here's an ad from a while back that still sometimes gets play that pisses me right off

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__94GrS7ksE

It's the most "Old Man Yells At Cloud" ad I've ever seen. Actually, that might be the association's other PSA about not staring at your phone, which doesn't even have to DO with orthopedic health!

Also lol at talking about kids these days and having your example play an SNES and use a phone with an antenna. (This ad is from like 2011)

Keystoned
Jan 27, 2012

ToxicSlurpee posted:

All the better; Geico's rates are really only any good if your record is spotless. A while back I had a random seizure and lost my license for six months. Completely not my fault; just a medical thing. So when I got my driving rights back I called up Geico (I had them before this and they were way better than Nationwide) to get my coverage back.

They quoted me quadruple what I was paying before. I expected a bit of a bump but Jesus gently caress was that ridiculous. Progressive quoted me the same rate I had before. Haven't used Geico since. Never did hear that advert, though; probably would have cancelled after that.
Car insurance should hold your loyalty until the day the policy expires and not a day longer. There is bo reason to stick with an auto insurer if someone else will offer the same coverage at a lower price. Loyalty programs are bullshit because another company will offer you a lower intro price and theres nothing to stop you from switching when that price expires.

Its like if a cable company offered you 50% off for 6 months but then after 6 months you can cancel and switch with no penalty. Hell yeah im gonna bounce around every 6 months.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Johnny Aztec posted:

I..What? Dude, they existed long before Youtube came around.

They existed as Flash on https://www.rathergood.com I never could decide if it was serious or a guy taking the piss

(and holy poo poo this guy is still making these things.)

Sorry I'm not an internet archivist

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm always annoyed when characters or items exist only to be fanservice for prospective buyers, especially when those characters are fine on their own. Like Aranea's boob armour or Cindy's cleavage in FF15, or the first other adventurer you meet in God Eater 2, who is wearing a top to small it shows prominent under-boob - none of the other female characters are drawn like that, they are dressed normally, like professionals. One is wearing a veil for no reason, which is fine, she may have one that hasn't been established yet, like she may be mourning someone who died in the same attack/accident that put her in a wheelchair. but on her and her sister, and even the Idol character, the clothes are reasonable. Same goes with Xenoblade Chronicles X - the better the armour the bigger the boob-window which is just embarrassing. Lim is 13 year old who fight with a shield that turns into a minigun - I don't like her as a person but that's due to her character flaws, giving her a boob window on later armours is just uncomfortable and unneccesary. Character Designers, you have proven that you can draw a woman who is wearing passable work clothes, what is it some Genie's Curse that for every 3 good designs you need to poo poo out Soul Caliber's Ivy as well?

God Eater's fun so far, don't try to pander...

And I'm counting this a a Marketing thing because a lot of the times those characters are prominently placed on the covers to sell the games, so you can tell whether a game is going to get embarrassing or not from the cover - God Eater doesn't do that so I thought it would behave. Don't bait and switch me, if I wanted cheesecake I would buy one of the titty covers in all the anime game aisles, don't give me it unsolicited.

I think I'm more annoyed with God Eater 2 than I otherwise would be because the cover is pretty cool, it's an anime girl wearing a skirt, certainly, but she's wielding a scythe in a reasonable battle stance while facing down a 100 storey tall Grim Reaper. That's badass, I bought the game for the promise of fighting that at some point.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 18:07 on Feb 1, 2017

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012

Jaguars! posted:

ZANTREX 3! ZANTREX 3! ZANTREX 3! NO WONDER EVERYONES TALKING ABOUT ZANTREX 3! ZANTREX 3!

YOU KNOW THAT STUDY THAT WAS DONE ABOUT THE HUMAN BRAIN WHERE IT WAS FOUND PEOPLE WERE MORE LIKELY TO REMEMBER SOMETHING IF IT WAS REPEATED THREE TIMES? YEAH WE READ THAT TOO.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

RagnarokAngel posted:

It was just another company trying to be hip by using material from the internet.
Speaking of which: back in the early 2000s there was a company that used screamers as TV ads for their canned coffee. The reasoning was that their coffee would make you awake. It made me wish I drank canned coffee specifically so I could avoid their brand in a meaningful way.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Waffleman_ posted:

I like the implication that millennials were distracted by the powerful face of Paul Newman, an actor they probably only know from the animated movie Cars, which did not feature his face.

Oh god, I never made the connection between Newman's and Paul Newman. It even has his loving portrait on it. :doh:

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

hyperhazard posted:

Oh god, I never made the connection between Newman's and Paul Newman. It even has his loving portrait on it. :doh:

Each one localised for the cuisine in a very tasteful way:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

jojoinnit posted:

Each one localised for the cuisine in a very tasteful way:

Literally this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYRBqAn4KZQ

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

This is a parody of chef bernard loiseau who won 3 michelin stars and then started peddling garbage frozen food. He commited suicide.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Whoa people in the UK call drunk driving "drink driving"?

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

There's an ad running on a local radio station about some weight loss pill scam. It mostly involves a fake customer calling in to say that they're losing weight TOO DRAMATICALLY and the commercial says "whoa there, if you're looking TOO DANG GOOD, then only take the pill every other day!" It's the most lovely transparent thing ever and it makes me mad. that's my story

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Nostradingus posted:

There's an ad running on a local radio station about some weight loss pill scam. It mostly involves a fake customer calling in to say that they're losing weight TOO DRAMATICALLY and the commercial says "whoa there, if you're looking TOO DANG GOOD, then only take the pill every other day!" It's the most lovely transparent thing ever and it makes me mad. that's my story

GOD I HATE THAT ONE.

And there's another one for the same scam that claims it takes off "pounds of rotting food and poisonous toxins," both of which are probably not in your body due to your stomach digesting food before it can rot and "toxins" being the great lie of alternative medicine.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Waffleman_ posted:

GOD I HATE THAT ONE.

And there's another one for the same scam that claims it takes off "pounds of rotting food and poisonous toxins," both of which are probably not in your body due to your stomach digesting food before it can rot and "toxins" being the great lie of alternative medicine.

Yeah I've been hearing those too. "You aren't fat, you're just bloated! Cleanse those toxins with this magic pill that will flatten your belly with zero effort from you at all." Those adverts are pretty much a coverall if you're playing bullshit bingo.

Toxins? Yup. New scientific breakthrough? Yup. Miraculous results that require absolutely no effort on your part? Totally! Telling fat people they aren't really fat? It's all there! Call now for a free offer that we totally won't make you pay through the nose for in some way or another? Oh yes. Fake testimonials from people who say "your product works too well but I want to keep using it anyway!" Oh yeah. All over that like stink on poo poo. Flushing anomalous sludge out of your body? We got that too!

The other one that I relate to it is another magical supplement geared toward men with bigorexia. That is literally their target market. It has a gruff-sounding dude who talks like he's trying really, really hard to poo poo despite being severely constipated being all "HEY THIS IS ONLY FOR GUYS THAT WANT TO TAKE IT TO THE MAX! DO YOU WANT MUSCLES? DO YOU WANT MUSCLES ON YOUR MUSCLES?!?????!!!?!? BUY THIS STUFF AND YOU WILL HAVE ALL OF THE MUSCLES. NOBODY ELSE WILL HAVE MUSCLE TISSUE IF YOU BUY THIS. IT WILL ALL BE YOURS. YOU WILL MELD WITH THE EARTH AND TURN IT INTO A BALL OF YOUR MUSCLE AND NOTHING ELSE."

I actually have been turning the radio off for like half of the advertisements they play.

shitty poker hand
Jun 13, 2013
Man gently caress you guys should buy an aux cord

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

This is why I like my XM radio in the car.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

lovely poker hand posted:

Man gently caress you guys should buy an aux cord

The main reason I listen to the radio on the way to work is for road advisories. Some days the traffic is dreadful or a crash cripples a major artery somehow. I'd like to know that before hand.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The main reason I listen to the radio on the way to work is for road advisories. Some days the traffic is dreadful or a crash cripples a major artery somehow. I'd like to know that before hand.

Man gently caress you guys should use navigation apps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Platystemon posted:

Man gently caress you guys should use navigation apps.

I tried but the only thing it ever says is "the traffic in Pittsburgh is dreadful."

Well yeah I know that I just want to know if the drat road is open or not.