Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Disgusting Coward posted:

Please be advised all these stories are lies. Here is what actually happens.
*burp*
*fart*
AAAAHHHH
*fart*
AAAAAAGHHH!!!
*fart*
AAAAHAHHHH!!!
*fart*
*fart*
AAAAAAAHHHH!!

this is all happening while marital arts experts choke out random people, farting and screaming along the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Dali Parton posted:

*burp*
*fart*
AAAAHHHH
*fart*
AAAAAAGHHH!!!
*fart*
AAAAHAHHHH!!!
*fart*
*fart*
AAAAAAAHHHH!!

this is all happening while marital arts experts choke out random people, farting and screaming along the way.

I'd assume you meant martial arts, but honestly I'm not sure. A lot of the time everyone involved is naked.

NuminaXLT
Nov 11, 2002

Slime posted:

I'd assume you meant martial arts, but honestly I'm not sure. A lot of the time everyone involved is naked.

Nah he probably did mean the priest...
Who then farted on the Bible and exploded

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

I know corruptions are cheating but Vinesauce has been posted here before, so might as well. Also this involves a Kirby game, which are coded incredibly well and almost never have major glitches unless forced to via corruption.

This is a Kirby Super Star corruption video that had me in tears: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7X5dr1UP320

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
I remember an SS13 video of somebody playing as AI, when somebody in the kitchen was making some really outstanding food. After lamenting about his inability to eat food, somebody got the idea to turn him into a real boy. The result was a complicated operation involving about five entire departments of the station working together to transplant the AI's consciousness into a clone.

The entire operation involved convoluted cloning mechanics, ghosts possessing people, and monkey brains.

And it succeeded.

Upon trying the aforementioned food, the former AI was promptly afflicted with a ton of medical conditions that left him paralyzed on the ground. At the same time, traitors were having their way with the station. Since the guy had no communicator, he was left helpless.

Then the game broke and the escape shuttle stopped working. The admins had to stop the round manually. A tragic end for Pinocchio and Geppetto, indeed.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Angry Diplomat posted:

This reminds me of the time someone somehow figured out how to reliably cause a glitch that let them continue operating a PDA after climbing into the furnace to commit suicide, and promptly put this knowledge to use by simultaneously sending everyone on the station PDA messages under the username "the furnace" demanding sacrifices and threatening terrible vengeance if none were offered. The funniest part was that the Engineer maintaining the actual engine knew it was a prank (but understandably had no idea how the guy was doing it) and tried to stop people from dumping mass quantities of weed and corpses into the furnace because they were loving up his high-powered, but relatively safe and stable, engine loop configuration, which got him beaten down and thrown into the furnace to appease the angry engine god. Without the Engineer around to maintain it and vent pressure now and then, the stable engine loop rapidly became unstable, then became what is commonly called a "hellburn," and in the end, the engine god really did demonstrate its rage by shooting lightning everywhere and then loving exploding in a cataclysmic ball of fire.

I thought this was an amusing story until I got to the part where they threw the engineer into the furnace, then it became incredible.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
SS13 is one of those games where you hear these astounding stories that couldn't possibly gave game mechanics to back them up, but it does and those mechanics exist because the coders are insane assholes who love fun religiously.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
What happened to that project to port the game to a better engine?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

There's been an infinity of such projects and they never go anywhere because SS13 was never really developed in the first place, more sort of accumulated.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Yeah the best you could do would be to make a good 2D multiplayer engine and then let coders go to work.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Phlegmish posted:

I thought this was an amusing story until I got to the part where they threw the engineer into the furnace, then it became incredible.

Using that same bug, i could, as a dead body, continue to play the slot machines. With a moderate sized beginning bank, you would never run out of money because the slots favor you so much, so periodically you would get a station wide message and claxxon that i won a large jackpot.

There were rounds where i would buckle to a chair in front of the slots and completely ignore all havoc. frequently dying to gunfire or vacuum while quietly playing playing slots and talking on deadchat until round end. I did catch the attention of a few admins that way.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The muted reactions make it

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The Headless Norseman?

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight

Dang he became a draugr super quick

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

nah thats just how nords get haircuts. it all grows back

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

:bravo:

E: which reminded me of a thing I fav'd on imgur a while back and am not sure whether I posted here or not

Fathis Munk has a new favorite as of 20:04 on Feb 1, 2017

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

As fearless in life as he was in death.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I love Skyrim, but at least half the fun is watching the game break in new and interesting ways.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

whiteyfats posted:

I love Skyrim, but at least half the fun is watching the game break in new and interesting ways.

This, but every Bethesda game.

(Coincidentally also why I would never play them on anything but PC, because being able to noclip is basically required when the games inevitably break)

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Your Computer posted:

This, but every Bethesda game.

(Coincidentally also why I would never play them on anything but PC, because being able to noclip is basically required when the games inevitably break)

Right? In Skyrim, there's always a gate or door or some poo poo that won't open and breaks the quest.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Fathis Munk posted:

:bravo:

E: which reminded me of a thing I fav'd on imgur a while back and am not sure whether I posted here or not

ahahaha these are great

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

whiteyfats posted:

Right? In Skyrim, there's always a gate or door or some poo poo that won't open and breaks the quest.

Or you just fall through the world. Daggerfall was my first Bethesda game.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!

whiteyfats posted:

Thankfully, this issue can be fixed by carrying a pot in your inventory. Or a plate. Any beveled object really.

XYZ
Aug 31, 2001

whiteyfats posted:

The other half is watching people break the game on purpose.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Onzu_r-O7YA

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Cuchulain posted:

Thankfully, this issue can be fixed by carrying a pot in your inventory. Or a plate. Any beveled object really.

First I've heard of this, how does that work?

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

I put hundreds of hours into the console ports of Morrowind, Oblivion, and Fallout 3 as a child and finished console Skyrim and managed to totally avoid game-breaking bugs? I remember FO3 in particular would hardlock occasionally, but I didn't run into, like, quest triggers not firing or NPC spawning weirdness until I started messing around with mods on the PC.

Now obviously anecdotes != data (if the thieves' guild quest line was the horribly broken one in every game I would literally never know) but I do have to wonder if Bethesda catches flak that should be aimed at Nexus morons 'content creators.'

HookedOnChthonics has a new favorite as of 04:36 on Feb 2, 2017

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

HookedOnChthonics posted:

I put hundreds of hours into the console ports of Morrowind, Oblivion, and Fallout 3 and finished console Skyrim and managed to totally avoid game-breaking bugs? I remember FO3 in particular would hardlock occasionally, but I didn't run into, like, quest triggers not firing or NPC spawning weirdness until I started messing around with mods on the PC.

Now obviously anecdotes != data (if the thieves' guild quest line was the horribly broken one in every game I would literally never know) but I do have to wonder if Bethesda catches flak that should be aimed at Nexus morons 'content creators.'

The only major problem I encountered (on PS3) was when I beat the boss for the final piece of the three-part amulet thing, and his body ended up in the floor somehow so I couldn't finish the quest. Until they patched it later, in which case the guy's body showed up and I could get the item. Oh, and I got the bug where you can't continue the Blades quest because the old man's quest dialogue wouldn't trigger properly, and wasn't fixed to my knowledge (granted this was several years ago). That was annoying.

Most of the time I got bugs they were dumb things like a dragon's skeleton following me around whenever I left caves. Or the blacksmith having issues with his animation where he would stop sweeping to go hammer some poo poo, but the broom was still in his hand, so it was sticking out of his hammer horizontally while swinging it. You know, Classic Bethesda™.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

I put hundreds of hours into the console ports of Morrowind, Oblivion, and Fallout 3 as a child and finished console Skyrim and managed to totally avoid game-breaking bugs? I remember FO3 in particular would hardlock occasionally, but I didn't run into, like, quest triggers not firing or NPC spawning weirdness until I started messing around with mods on the PC.

The games are notorious for being buggy for a reason though. Often it's just minor stuff (can't start sidequest because for some reason NPC doesn't appear/object can't be interracted with/enemy is underneath the floor) and often the bugs sort themselves out because of the way the engine works though; literally just wait a while and try again and now it magically works! :v: They're pretty good at fixing Actual Gamebreaking Bugs and their games have gotten less buggy (don't think I had to advance any quests manually with the console in FO4) but you can't deny the potential for things going wrong.

Of course, another thing about their games is how many ways you can play them.. and some ways are way more prone to breaking than others. One thing I've definitely done in every Bethesda game is scaling a cliff/building and falling into a spot I can't get out of without tcl :haw:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

TheMaestroso posted:

The only major problem I encountered (on PS3) was when I beat the boss for the final piece of the three-part amulet thing, and his body ended up in the floor somehow so I couldn't finish the quest. Until they patched it later, in which case the guy's body showed up and I could get the item. Oh, and I got the bug where you can't continue the Blades quest because the old man's quest dialogue wouldn't trigger properly, and wasn't fixed to my knowledge (granted this was several years ago). That was annoying.

Most of the time I got bugs they were dumb things like a dragon's skeleton following me around whenever I left caves. Or the blacksmith having issues with his animation where he would stop sweeping to go hammer some poo poo, but the broom was still in his hand, so it was sticking out of his hammer horizontally while swinging it. You know, Classic Bethesda™.

Strangely enough Skyrim has been the least gamebreakingly bugged of the recent elderscrolls/fallout games I've played so far. Even fallout 4 I couldn't turn around without running into some quest that just terminated randomly because I'd cleared an area out earlier wandering around and the game just refused to update the quest at all so I had a quest log full of quests that pointed me towards NPCs that would never spawn, or areas that would never respawn. Skyrim all the bugs were mostly harmless except the occasional fresh start freak out where a wolf would show up and attack the cart horse.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Your Computer posted:

The games are notorious for being buggy for a reason though. Often it's just minor stuff (can't start sidequest because for some reason NPC doesn't appear/object can't be interracted with/enemy is underneath the floor) and often the bugs sort themselves out because of the way the engine works though; literally just wait a while and try again and now it magically works! :v: They're pretty good at fixing Actual Gamebreaking Bugs and their games have gotten less buggy (don't think I had to advance any quests manually with the console in FO4) but you can't deny the potential for things going wrong.

Of course, another thing about their games is how many ways you can play them.. and some ways are way more prone to breaking than others. One thing I've definitely done in every Bethesda game is scaling a cliff/building and falling into a spot I can't get out of without tcl :haw:

Every Bethesda game? Even TES 1? In the first one you had a spell that could disappear walls and floors, and you could levitate. You had to work pretty hard to get stuck.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Facebook Aunt posted:

Every Bethesda game? Even TES 1? In the first one you had a spell that could disappear walls and floors, and you could levitate. You had to work pretty hard to get stuck.

Yes, Facebook Aunt. Literally every Bethesda game, including the MS-DOS and Amiga ones.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Your Computer posted:

Yes, Facebook Aunt. Literally every Bethesda game, including the MS-DOS and Amiga ones.

Wow!

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Your Computer posted:

So not the N-Gage game? :smug:

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Your Computer posted:

Right, they're big, complex games that try to cobble a heaping handful of shallow systems (radiant AI lol) into a coherent world which, if we're using ~*~notoriety~*~ and internet meme-consciousness as any serious benchmark, most PC players consider unplayable without being crammed full of additional, amateur systems, and I'm wondering if those two immutable truths (Bethesda games are buggy; Bethesda games need mods to be good) are actually the same truth, in disgiuse (mods tend to make games more buggy)

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Right, they're big, complex games that try to cobble a heaping handful of shallow systems (radiant AI lol) into a coherent world which, if we're using ~*~notoriety~*~ and internet meme-consciousness as any serious benchmark, most PC players consider unplayable without being crammed full of additional, amateur systems, and I'm wondering if those two immutable truths (Bethesda games are buggy; Bethesda games need mods to be good) are actually the same truth, in disgiuse (mods tend to make games more buggy)

No, no. Bethesda games are definitely buggy, they're just not especially broken. I loaded up Skyrim earlier just to make sure it installed right before modding it, and a child NPC was walking through windhelm backwards. I don't know why, I didn't question it. First time I played fallout 3 on the 360, the guy you have to talk to in megaton to follow the main quest vanished with a quest marker just pointing to a radioactive pond in the middle of the world. Strangely enough I ran into zero bugs with the console version of oblivion.

The reputation of crashing every five minutes and being broken and buggy comes from modding for sure. A single mod conflict can just utterly destroy your game until you figure out what mod it is and remove it. After loading up 40+ skyrim mods I had a single crash and it was entirely because of two mods I didn't realize were conflicting. There are people who can run over a hundred just fine, there are some people who can't run ten and blame the game for it.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Cuchulain posted:

Please go on...

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Nuebot posted:

No, no. Bethesda games are definitely buggy, they're just not especially broken. I loaded up Skyrim earlier just to make sure it installed right before modding it, and a child NPC was walking through windhelm backwards. I don't know why, I didn't question it. First time I played fallout 3 on the 360, the guy you have to talk to in megaton to follow the main quest vanished with a quest marker just pointing to a radioactive pond in the middle of the world. Strangely enough I ran into zero bugs with the console version of oblivion.

The reputation of crashing every five minutes and being broken and buggy comes from modding for sure. A single mod conflict can just utterly destroy your game until you figure out what mod it is and remove it. After loading up 40+ skyrim mods I had a single crash and it was entirely because of two mods I didn't realize were conflicting. There are people who can run over a hundred just fine, there are some people who can't run ten and blame the game for it.
Yeah, like I said a lot of the bugs in the (base) game are of the "leave area, wait 24 hours ingame and re-enter area and it's fixed" type. There are a lot of systems at play and sometimes things just... go wrong. Like most AAA games they can be kinda broken and crash-prone at launch though (didn't Skyrim have some mindbogglingly obvious crashes/performance issues at launch?) but constant crashing and missing NPCs and stuff are usually modding conflicts, people who are installing mods wrong, etc. Of course, mods can also introduce new and hilarious ways for the game to glitch out and that's part of the appeal of modding! :v:

If I remember correctly, you hold the object up against a wall and then run into it, and you'll pop out of the other end of the wall. It's just basic physics. Like how in Fallout 4 you can climb skyscrapers by standing on a trash can, looking straight down and pulling yourself up :shepface:

Alaois posted:

So not the N-Gage game? :smug:
I've been outed :(

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Your Computer posted:

If I remember correctly, you hold the object up against a wall and then run into it, and you'll pop out of the other end of the wall. It's just basic physics. Like how in Fallout 4 you can climb skyscrapers by standing on a trash can, looking straight down and pulling yourself up :shepface:

I am going to test this out next time I play. Thank you. I mean I could just TCL, but where's the fun in that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

If you drop a pot or plate in the proper way, it'll force you through a wall. Which is only slightly less stupid than whatever engine Amnesia/SOMA run on, which lets you pick up an object, jump, and then move the object in such a way that you're flying on a plate or cup or someshit.

Skyrim speedrun that abuses the gently caress out of that bug:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulYNPbuga_g

Soma speedrun that abuses the bug I talked about :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UreO7QuU7Z4

Neito has a new favorite as of 07:18 on Feb 2, 2017