Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I did not hate episode 4.

I did hate episode 4's bonus stages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I found room in my heart to hate both episode 4, and its bonus stages.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/826858550274060288

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

They certainly picked a picture and a half to advertise it. Three Sonics, hmmm.

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

In more or less Sonic related news, Freedom Planet 2 has a free demo out.

http://freedomplanet2.com/demo_win.php

It has 4 playable characters, and one good sized stage with a boss encounter. Lilac plays more or less the same has her first incarnation but everyone else has some new tricks (Hit the block button as Milla) and Neera is completely new.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I still don't really understand why people call Freedom Planet a Sonicalike.

Granted I don't think that game lives up to its hype at all.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It started off as a Sonic rom hack/fan game then they realized they could sell it with original characters.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

If anything Freedom Planet is a spiritual successor to Rocket Knight, not Sonic.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Dehry posted:

It started off as a Sonic rom hack/fan game then they realized they could sell it with original characters.
Which I applaud them for and I think all those nintendo DMCA'd fangames should do that instead.

But it has worse physics than Sonic 4 and yeah plays like other 16-bit stuff.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Freedom Planet has Sonic OC characters, an overwhelmingly Sonic-esque aesthetic and runs on an engine reverse-engineered from a Sonic game, of course people talk about it in those terms.

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

I've always seen Freedom Planet as a love letter to Genesis action games in the same vein as Shovel Knight to NES games.

Freedom planet is a fusion of Sonic, Rocket Knight, Gunstar Heroes, and Alien Soldier.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Freedom Planet is pretty cool and has both ups and downs. Ups include the bosses, music and level gimmicks, downs include a grimdark story, bizarre moveset for each character that just about works with Lilac and doesn't really work at all for anyone else (what was Carol's jumping claw attack for, exactly?) and average level design, even if the gimmicks made up for it.

I haven't played the demo yet, so no idea if any of that is addressed.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I thought Freedom Planet's story was just the right amount of bad to be enjoyable.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Spiderdrake posted:

I still don't really understand why people call Freedom Planet a Sonicalike.
How many platformers do you know with loops and half-pipes?

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Freedom Planet has Sonic OC characters, an overwhelmingly Sonic-esque aesthetic and runs on an engine reverse-engineered from a Sonic game, of course people talk about it in those terms.

It's Ken Penders: The Game.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

That's a good way to put it.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I hadn't played Freedom Planet but it looks good. I've noticed majority of the people who seem to hate on it (for lack of a better term) haven't played it themselves or can't get over the art style. When people DO play it I usually hear "I had my doubts but this is drat good".

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I will say tho I kinda hate the main character design & voice but maybe I'll "change my tune" once I play the dang thing.

beep by grandpa fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Feb 2, 2017

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Screaming Idiot posted:

It's Ken Penders: The Game.

Username.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
The gameplay's good but the lore is DeviantArt-tier, luckily you can play the game without it (classic mode).

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
It's very similar to Dust: an elysian tail in that it is an impressively well crafted effort from a smal team that plays pretty well but has embarassingly poor character design and story.

Also full voice acting somehow.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

They patched it to remove some of the more pointless dialogue despite no-one really asking and several of the more insufferably tasteless fans bitching that it helps with character development when you leave in a joke that makes zero sense because the context got cut in a previous build, so I actually have a lot of hope that they learned a few lessons for the sequel.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Kyle Lambert has been announced as a major character in the new game.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I heard Chris sabat is in it too. Chris sabat is vegeta irl. This owns.

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

Mr Phillby posted:

It's very similar to Dust: an elysian tail in that it is an impressively well crafted effort from a smal team that plays pretty well but has embarassingly poor character design and story.

Also full voice acting somehow.

Yep, Dust was another game I greatly enjoyed but Christ, that art did not help.

I very much rolled my eyes at Freedom Planet on the initial pitch. "A Sonic fangame with original characters, this can't end well" was my general sentiment. Turns out it's pretty excellent and the developers were smart and put in the classic mode toggle so you can just ignore all the plot.

Anyway, some thoughts on the characters in the FP2 demo:
Lilac: The most similar to her FP1 incarnation, which works since she was probably the most fleshed out character. Her Cyclone (The double jump) no longer consumes meter so you can Cyclone and Dragonboost in the same motion now. She can now string basic attacks while moving forward on the ground. Her uppercut can now be performed in midair, though you can't do it and a cyclone in the same jump. In summary, largely the same but faster and more fluid.

Carol: Her claw attacks are largely the same. The pounce and sonic roll still allow you to do a double damage gold slash out of them. The big change is her meter button. Rather than that kicks in FP1, she now deploys a discus in the direction you're pressing that does damage. A second tap of the button sends her into a midair spin towards it's location, doing damage all the while. Her bike also has some new functionality. If you do her meter while the bike is deployed, you throw your bike at the opponent and go back to being on foot. Hitting the block button re-deploys the bike. The double jump on the bike now resembles a somersault kick so it's a bit harder to land compared to the FP1 spin. In summary, higher maneuverability and there's probably some pretty slick tech with the discus.

Milla: The most changed from FP1. She can still fly, and it now uses her meter. Her health pool is no longer as anemic as her past incarnation. Her offense has undergone a total overhaul. She now has basic strikes on the ground, and an energy ball when midair that does repeated hits. Still has her deflection shield, but now it goes in all 8 directions. The real fun is when you hit the block button, she instantly summons a cube. It no longer has any channel time and can be done while still moving. While a cube is deployed, the shield move now also fires projectiles in the direction you're facing. Her basic attacks now fire the rectangular blast from FP1. Since there's no cast time and no cooldown on cubes, you can spam these. I believe there's also a mobile shield, but I haven't messed around with it. In summary, wildly improved with offensive options that aren't simply reflecting bullets and slowly summoning cubes.

Neera: An antagonist in the first game, now playable. Highly technical character. All of her basic attacks change based on the direction used with the button. Neutral fires projectiles. Forward is a thrust. Up causes her to twirl her spear above her head. Down has serious start-up but ends in a crushing blow. Has a double jump. Her meter move has two modes. her main version is an ice projectile that freezes enemies hit into a block of ice. You can jump off this block to reach even higher ground or attack it once to make it shatter, killing the enemy. If you hold up while hitting the meter button, she instead fires a massive ice wave above her head. In summary, high damage with versatility but you have to be mindful of your options and start-up on moves.

On the whole, I'm real happy with where they've taken the characters. The devs noted that plenty of animations aren't done and this stuff could be subject to change, but it's a very promising direction.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

beep by grandpa posted:

I heard Chris sabat is in it too. Chris sabat is vegeta irl. This owns.

I was joking Kyle Lambert is the genius games auteur behind Major/Minor.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

beep by grandpa posted:

I hadn't played Freedom Planet but it looks good. I've noticed majority of the people who seem to hate on it (for lack of a better term) haven't played it themselves or can't get over the art style. When people DO play it I usually hear "I had my doubts but this is drat good".
It has been in like infinite bundles dude, it's pretty easy to pick up cheap. There's probably steam copies floating around in the steam trading thread if you go ask.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Spiderdrake posted:

It has been in like infinite bundles dude, it's pretty easy to pick up cheap. There's probably steam copies floating around in the steam trading thread if you go ask.

I'm waiting for it to come out on PS4 or Vita, I don't want to play it on wii u or steam :frogbon:

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
Would it be a bit of embarrassment for Sega if Sonic Mania, the game made by a bunch of fan-game creators, winds up being a lot more profitable than the bigger game from Sonic Team proper slated for this year?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

A good poster posted:

Would it be a bit of embarrassment for Sega if Sonic Mania, the game made by a bunch of fan-game creators, winds up being a lot more profitable than the bigger game from Sonic Team proper slated for this year?

No? It is a game they are funding and publishing and is probably being made at a fraction of the budget, why would that be embarrassing?

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Yea they'd prob be real embarrassed for making all that dang money

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I doubt Mania is going to top the main game, especially since the length of development and willingness to miss the anniversary by a pretty wide mark should mean it's been polished to a mirror shine, but I think they'd be delighted to have Mania be a gigantic success regardless.

FP2: The demo is pretty much the same as the original in terms of gameplay, so I'm sure it'll be worth a play, but eh, they really needed to switch up a couple of things, like seriously why is Carol's claw dive still there, I can't even work out what it's for. The main thing that stands out is how completely bored of life the characters seem in their standing and jogging poses - a lot of their other animations look great with some fierce facial expressions, then when they stop moving they look like they're running through their shopping list in their heads, with really stiff upright poses. Really hoping they change that.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Kinda depends on if Project 2017 is another wacky gimmick game in a long line of wacky gimmick games, or if it's also actually what fans have been asking for, that being Generations 2.

It probably will be more profitable given the lower development cost, I bet you they're prepping to put out a mobile version of Mania and so on.

If anyone should be embarassed, it's DIMPS. Hopefully after Mania destroys Sonic 4 in every capacity they burn their offices down, salt the earth, and go home to be humble farmers to atone for their sin.

Bifner McDoogle
Mar 31, 2006

"Life unworthy of life" (German: Lebensunwertes Leben) is a pragmatic liberal designation for the segments of the populace which they view as having no right to continue existing, due to the expense of extending them basic human dignity.

beep by grandpa posted:

I'm waiting for it to come out on PS4 or Vita, I don't want to play it on wii u or steam :frogbon:

You're kind of doing yourself a disservice, especially if there's not a planned release date on those consoles yet. Take it from me, it took me two years between getting the game and bothering to complete it because of how off-putting the opening cutscene is but when I bothered to try classic mode I found out it was really tight on a mechanical level and has reliably good stage and enemy designs even if the character design is mostly terrible. It's also different enough from Sonic to work as a complement to the series instead of coming across as a ripoff. Its incredibly similar but also very different. Also hard mode is way the gently caress harder than any Sonic game I've ever played for sure (the last boss, no poo poo, took me 120 tries to beat, so don't play on hard on your first go if that isn't your thing).

Seriously though the story is really awkwardly bad in a way that makes something like Dust seem subdued and nuanced in comparison. The opening cutscene of the game features an emperor that looks like a low-rent Disney knockoff panda bear being brutally decapitated by an evil alien invader in front of his son. You are given no idea who anyone is or why you should care about them and the quality of the voice acting microphones are really noticeably inconsistent. But turn on classic mode and the only story you get are some basic level transitions and a few taunts from some of the recurring villains, which actually works out since the bosses are probably the best bit in the game and they could afford working microphones.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Spiderdrake posted:

Kinda depends on if Project 2017 is another wacky gimmick game in a long line of wacky gimmick games, or if it's also actually what fans have been asking for, that being Generations 2.

It probably will be more profitable given the lower development cost, I bet you they're prepping to put out a mobile version of Mania and so on.

If anyone should be embarassed, it's DIMPS. Hopefully after Mania destroys Sonic 4 in every capacity they burn their offices down, salt the earth, and go home to be humble farmers to atone for their sin.

Considering DIMPs is currently responsible for the apparently wildly successful Dragonball Xenoverse games I'm sure they'll go cry into their pile of money.

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I doubt Mania is going to top the main game, especially since the length of development and willingness to miss the anniversary by a pretty wide mark should mean it's been polished to a mirror shine, but I think they'd be delighted to have Mania be a gigantic success regardless.

FP2: The demo is pretty much the same as the original in terms of gameplay, so I'm sure it'll be worth a play, but eh, they really needed to switch up a couple of things, like seriously why is Carol's claw dive still there, I can't even work out what it's for. The main thing that stands out is how completely bored of life the characters seem in their standing and jogging poses - a lot of their other animations look great with some fierce facial expressions, then when they stop moving they look like they're running through their shopping list in their heads, with really stiff upright poses. Really hoping they change that.

It has better horizontal movement in 2, so it's nice for catching walls. That said, the bigger reason it's there is the same as FP1: Double damage slashes. Carol has a really subtle mechanic where the first attack done off the dive or her ground roll is a gold slash with double damage and what might be a slightly better hitbox. Claw diving slashes will one shot most basic enemies which lets you haul rear end.

Bifner McDoogle
Mar 31, 2006

"Life unworthy of life" (German: Lebensunwertes Leben) is a pragmatic liberal designation for the segments of the populace which they view as having no right to continue existing, due to the expense of extending them basic human dignity.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Carols claw dive does double damage and helps you move quickly more while attacking, it's practically required to beat the late game bosses on hard mode in the first game and dovetails real nicely with how there's no contact damage in the game so you can dive through pretty small windows for quick powerful attacks you'd never land otherwise. That said, the game doesn't do a good job of making it clear why you would ever use it most of the time so unless you're playing on hard it just seems like the creators tried to make a double jump and hosed it up.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

ImpAtom posted:

Considering DIMPs is currently responsible for the apparently wildly successful Dragonball Xenoverse games I'm sure they'll go cry into their pile of money.
It's a joke about how bad Sonic 4 is you dork. They put out enough stuff those are probably different teams if you want to get specific.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

ImpAtom posted:

Not gonna lie, I was surprised how good and fun Xenoverse was considering how bad DIMPS's Sonic games were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I can't completely hate dimps because sonic rush fukken rules