Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

coyo7e posted:

Naw, I'm not into blondes but that nerdy librarian chic in all of Alice's outfits, is super hot.

Y'all as horney as the Overwatch threads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, I'm all for calling out objectification and all that but if you're watching Magicians and its not at least PARTLY for the overt sexuality of the show then I'm not exactly sure what you're watching for. Its like saying its not cool to call out Fillory for being a tongue in cheek, hosed up Narnia ripoff.

This show isn't reaching for higher things.

Like, I'm willing to bet they're just mad they didn't get on HBO so they could go full True Blood with the sex and boobies.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

STAC Goat posted:

I mean, I'm all for calling out objectification and all that but if you're watching Magicians and its not at least PARTLY for the overt sexuality of the show then I'm not exactly sure what you're watching for. Its like saying its not cool to call out Fillory for being a tongue in cheek, hosed up Narnia ripoff.

Like, I'm willing to bet they're just mad they didn't get on HBO so they could go full True Blood with the sex and boobies.

Im watching for snarky losers doing cool hand signal poo poo fighting monsters

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I like both. Good show.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Y'all as horney as the Overwatch threads.

If you think this is bad, you should have been there for the Modern Family threads when it was still good like 6 years ago. Pages and pages and pages of posts fawning over how "hot" Haley was, who was like 16 at the time. It was gross and creepy.

STAC Goat posted:

The guys on the show are all absurdly hot, and I think I might have audibly cheered when we got a quick glimpse of Penny's rear end this week. As a gay man, I've noticed how rare it is to see any male nudity on television, compared to the abundance of female nudity.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Nihonniboku posted:

Pages and pages and pages of posts fawning over how "hot" Haley was, who was like 16 at the time. It was gross and creepy

Not knowing who this was I looked it up, she was 19 when Modern Family debuted. hth with any residual guilt you have over reading the thread

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Quentin is the only one not super pretty on this show. As a totally straight dude even I can admit that Penny is loving handsome as gently caress.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Hale Appleman is so incredibly tall and handsome and tall.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Rhyno posted:

Quentin is the only one not super pretty on this show. As a totally straight dude even I can admit that Penny is loving handsome as gently caress.

Penny and Elliot are the hottest characters on the show, of either gender.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Azhais posted:

Not knowing who this was I looked it up, she was 19 when Modern Family debuted. hth with any residual guilt you have over reading the thread

You're right. She was playing like a 15 year old though, which made the whole thing very ambiguous. I think what made it weird as gently caress was just how it went on for pages and pages.

Rhyno posted:

Quentin is the only one not super pretty on this show.

He's maybe the least attractive of the 3 lead guys, but he's still extremely attractive.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

TV IV > The Magicians: Penny and Elliot are the hottest characters on the show, of either gender

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nihonniboku posted:

He's maybe the least attractive of the 3 lead guys, but he's still extremely attractive.

I think he's been such a little douche thus far that it colors my opinion of him. Maybe if he got a haircut?

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

How about The Magicians: And You Thought Modern Family Was Hot

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

The most attractive ladies on the show are Margo and the Margollum.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I wonder what Margollum is getting up to all by herself.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
If some wacky network guy who owns 5 benz's, says make them all 10 or above, i'm going to objectify.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ratings were massively up from last season's premier. So.. good signs for a season 3.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The Netflix effect.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

SLOSifl posted:

How about The Magicians: And You Thought Modern Family Was Hot

This makes me chuckle.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Sy Fy now has a zero g sex scene monopoly

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

GreenNight posted:

The Netflix effect.

I know that's how I got into the show. I'm really glad it's doing well, if nothing else the show has serious ambition in what they want to do with their budget. There are so many reasons it shouldn't work but they pull it off.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

C'mon Syfy, FX has decided the F word is totally cool. Get with the times!

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

I'm down with The Beast having a musical number every episode.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Eliot learning just how bad the farmers on Fillory are.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So while this stuff is good it kinda feels like it maybe should have been the last couple of episodes last season. Especially if that preview is accurate and next week is the confrontation with the Beast.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

muscles like this! posted:

So while this stuff is good it kinda feels like it maybe should have been the last couple of episodes last season. Especially if that preview is accurate and next week is the confrontation with the Beast.

Shrug, it would have felt super rushed. I get why they did what they did.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Yeah, it sounds like they're setting things back on track a bit with the books.

But good god, have the first two episodes this season just been a delight after the mostly mess of a first season. It's like they actually learned their lessons, and went with their strengths.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
The beast has a great voice.

Fillory is a Flat Earth!!!!!!!!

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Rocksicles posted:

The beast has a great voice.

Fillory is a Flat Earth!!!!!!!!

In the books, they travel to the edge of Fillory, and then walk over to the other side. Later on they discover a door that goes directly to the other side without traveling to the edge.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
What's on the other side?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
It annoys me how cheap some of the adaptation choices are in this show.

Reynard the Fox? Meh, just make him a dude with coloured contact lenses.

Ember the Ram? Pfeh, just get a $20 satyr costume on Amazon and put a chubby dude in it.

It's crazy how Syfy made both this and The Expanse. The Expanse looks like a high-budget movie a lot of the time. This show looks like Xena Warrior Princess or Charmed at the best of times.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Hedrigall posted:

It annoys me how cheap some of the adaptation choices are in this show.

Reynard the Fox? Meh, just make him a dude with coloured contact lenses.

Ember the Ram? Pfeh, just get a $20 satyr costume on Amazon and put a chubby dude in it.

It's crazy how Syfy made both this and The Expanse. The Expanse looks like a high-budget movie a lot of the time. This show looks like Xena Warrior Princess or Charmed at the best of times.

I think these changes are actually really good. The costumes are fine and to be faithful to the books they'd have to basically create fully-CGI characters, which would be pointlessly expensive for characters that barely have any screen time

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Rhyno posted:

What's on the other side?

If I remember correctly just like a dark Fillory, and the castle of the goat god (Umber or Ember, I can't remember which) who isn't as dead as everyone thinks. Not that it really matters in this show given how loose they are playing with the books.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

QuarkJets posted:

I think these changes are actually really good. The costumes are fine and to be faithful to the books they'd have to basically create fully-CGI characters, which would be pointlessly expensive for characters that barely have any screen time

I don't mind cheaping out on Reynard, but I wish they'd made Ember an actual ram. I really think the reveal of his incompetence and selfishness would've hit much harder if he'd looked like this majestic, Aslan-like beast before revealing that he actually sucks a whole lot.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
the beast is my favourite character

the musical interlude was straight outta limitless. brilliant.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't think I'd compare the effects of this show to The Expanse. The Expanse's CGI is like all in space scenes and poo poo that don't involve actors. Magicians actually looks fine when its doing the wide Fillory shots or scenery stuff. Its totally different having a CGI think interact with a human actor. Look at Aftermath or Wynonna Earp or Van Helsing or any SyFy movie to see how bad that stuff can look on a SyFy budget. So I'm happy Magicians has largely kept it simple and avoiding having to have like a demon fox or talking ram or something that would probably look absolutely god awful.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I think the CGI is above average given the limitations of the show.

Also, the final scene where Julia and Marina are smoking made me thankful that there was a show like this with protagonists my age. Well, at least the age I imagine myself to be.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Harrow posted:

I don't mind cheaping out on Reynard, but I wish they'd made Ember an actual ram. I really think the reveal of his incompetence and selfishness would've hit much harder if he'd looked like this majestic, Aslan-like beast before revealing that he actually sucks a whole lot.

I think it keeps with the theme that magic isn't all it's cracked up to be and doesn't have the answers, either. Just that the world / universe / etc. is a bit weirder.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

STAC Goat posted:

I was entirely :3: when I found out that the name of the Battle Magic instructor was Bigby! Also, they did her ears so perfectly I didn't even notice until the scene with her was over.

Error 404 posted:

Im watching for snarky losers doing cool hand signal poo poo fighting monsters
Then you should go watch The OA instead of this.

Nihonniboku posted:

If you think this is bad, you should have been there for the Modern Family threads when it was still good like 6 years ago. Pages and pages and pages of posts fawning over how "hot" Haley was, who was like 16 at the time. It was gross and creepy.

The guys on the show are all absurdly hot, and I think I might have audibly cheered when we got a quick glimpse of Penny's rear end this week. As a gay man, I've noticed how rare it is to see any male nudity on television, compared to the abundance of female nudity.
On topic - I love that Elliot now has an excuse to wear tights 24/7, 365. That scene with him realizing that he has to go back to his roots was hilarious, and the queen's actor is really knocking it out y just being this ridiculously accepting partner.

Nihonniboku posted:

Yeah for real. I mean, give him a decent haircut and he'd look a lot more like Channing Tatum than Steve Urkel. He could easily be a main character in any given war film or something that requires a steady gaze and sturdy chin.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Feb 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Nihonniboku posted:

If I remember correctly just like a dark Fillory, and the castle of the goat god (Umber or Ember, I can't remember which) who isn't as dead as everyone thinks. Not that it really matters in this show given how loose they are playing with the books.
Ember is the light-side, Umber is the dark side. Think about the names for a sec ;)