Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
You always have the power to get yourself banned :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I LIKE COOKIE
Dec 12, 2010

It's true, I'm just curious how far were allowed to take freedom of speech in this here forum.

Obviously racism and bigotry are off the table (I hope), but what about disrespectful words towards dear leader? Is this like, some Voldemort poo poo where we can't say his name or whatever? I'm genuinely curious. I was being intentionally flippant in my first post, is that kosher, or bannable?

Maybe I just need to read the rules?

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
If you're being intentionally flippant to see if you can get yourself banned for some pity points on the offsite, you will be. Try making funny posts instead of trying to figure out which buttons to push to pad out your rapsheet.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That's my gimmick.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
And my monitor is ON abd i have sigs OFF

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Friendly Humour posted:

And my monitor is ON abd i have sigs OFF

turn your sigs on

hi how are you ♥

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

I LIKE COOKIE posted:

It's true, I'm just curious how far were allowed to take freedom of speech in this here forum.

Obviously racism and bigotry are off the table (I hope), but what about disrespectful words towards dear leader? Is this like, some Voldemort poo poo where we can't say his name or whatever? I'm genuinely curious. I was being intentionally flippant in my first post, is that kosher, or bannable?

QCS seems like the place to do this.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Do permabanned usernames ever become available for other users, or will we have to live without gems like stfustfustfu, fievelfurgin and yelajerf forever?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

So, so many potentially great names wasted on IWC

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

I LIKE COOKIE posted:

Get low tax to huff nitrous w you, you're immune.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Nostradingus posted:

Do permabanned usernames ever become available for other users, or will we have to live without gems like stfustfustfu, fievelfurgin and yelajerf forever?

sorry, you're gonna have to settle for niggerstomper59

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Nostradingus posted:

no, but if you change a name it becomes free

when lowtax once changed his name someone instantly regged lowtax and got permabanned for it

I LIKE COOKIE
Dec 12, 2010

death to all goats.

and death to all magas.

thanks boewlax, i knew you were a true pal.

and thanks for not banning me, i promise im not a bad guy

weak wrists big dick
Dec 18, 2012

good job. you are getting legitametly upset because I won't confrom to your secret internet cliques gross social standards. Sorry I don't like anime. Sorry I don't like being gross on the internet. Sorry that you are getting caremad.

your stupid shit internet argument is also only half true once I get probated, so checkmate anyways but nice try.

]

Hogge Wild posted:

no, but if you change a name it becomes free

when lowtax once changed his name someone instantly regged lowtax and got permabanned for it

This seems hilarious. Are there any companion threads to this?

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
Since there has been some recent talk about possible forums changes, I thought it might be neat to ask you mods & admins, and any formers ones that lurk the thread, too, what it was that originally made you join SA, and whether it is the same stuff that keeps you interested in SA now, too.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Grandmother of Five posted:

Since there has been some recent talk about possible forums changes, I thought it might be neat to ask you mods & admins, and any formers ones that lurk the thread, too, what it was that originally made you join SA, and whether it is the same stuff that keeps you interested in SA now, too.

I joined for SAS football threads.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

My husband has been on the forums for a long time and when we met I only knew SA from what everyone who was on the Internet in the early 2000s knows. He urged me to get an account for a while and eventually I did because I liked GWS. He kept jokingly telling me that I would like E/N and then I did and then I modded it for a while.

YLLS helped me lose 50 pounds, GWS has made me a much better cook, and I got my financial poo poo together reading BFC. Whenever I'm about to spend money on something dumb I automatically imagine what the Bad With Money thread would say. I think a lot of the underrated lasting appeal of the forums is in the smaller subforum communities. Other forums tend to attract batshit crazy people and something about SA (probably the acceptance of relentless mocking) drives away total dummies. What remains is a community of generally down-to-earth people who want to casually chat about a thing they like.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Joined for funny threads, stayed for academic subforum, left for no reason (and I like stackexchange for academic stuff), sometimes read Games?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
I'm not seeing stars here

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I probably signed up for SH/SC. I liked that community for PC stuff compared to the alternatives at the time like [H]ardOCP. I've always kinda stuck to the more "serious" forums like SH/SC, and later TA/VA (now IYG), BFC, Dorkroom, etc. and still find those communities to have level-headed folks with good advice.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I joined to because because I liked reading funny stuff and stay because I like to try to create funny stuff.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

I read all the photoshop poo poo that made it to the front page all through undergrad in 2001-5. Towards the end of that I was borrowing a buddy's login (*gasp*) to read GBS. He got tired of me freeloading and bought me an account.

About the same time I got into target shooting and antique rifles and what's this? A gun subforum? On my comedy website?

Ten years and way too many wall of text effortposts later Lincolns Wax threw me the keys on his way out the door.

One mod note: TFR is basically the chilliest place ever. It's been weeks since I had a report. There are a handful of usual suspects who get probated now and again but it is mellow As gently caress.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I would like an understanding of what just happened. Or at least a title change.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
I read the front page/lurked for a while and signed up for grognards.txt, a thread I closed forever when I became TG mod. :getin:

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Ettin posted:

I read the front page/lurked for a while and signed up for grognards.txt, a thread I closed forever when I became TG mod. :getin:

I forgot about grognards.txt. Howcome it was closed? I didn't follow it closely, but it was a neat & weird thread to read a couple of pages in every so often.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

I forgot about grognards.txt. Howcome it was closed? I didn't follow it closely, but it was a neat & weird thread to read a couple of pages in every so often.

Either that or one or another of the iterations of "worse/best/remarkable experiences in tabletop gaming" are what got me to sign up for an account. grognards.txt got really depressing after a while, though. Such overwhelming bitterness.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Will there be a new moderator chosen for AI?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

CharlesM posted:

Will there be a new moderator chosen for AI?

Good AI should be able to run itself.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

im a mod

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Either that or one or another of the iterations of "worse/best/remarkable experiences in tabletop gaming" are what got me to sign up for an account. grognards.txt got really depressing after a while, though. Such overwhelming bitterness.

Come to think of it, I stopped reading it at a point where the stories were less funny weird, and more just horrible. As I remember, at some point every other story turned into tales of gamemasters trying to strong-arm players into sexual fantasies, and loads of in-game rape.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Absurd Alhazred posted:

grognards.txt got really depressing after a while, though. Such overwhelming bitterness.

After a while the well of new, interesting content ran dry and the thread would turn into "this guy says D&D is bad"/reposts of the same few wacky niche bloggers for pages until some new drama happened. Plus it really did get depressing, I think ending it made Trad Games a happier place. :unsmith:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Come to think of it, I stopped reading it at a point where the stories were less funny weird, and more just horrible. As I remember, at some point every other story turned into tales of gamemasters trying to strong-arm players into sexual fantasies, and loads of in-game rape.

yep that was petty much when i was like yeaaaah... nope.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Incoherence posted:

But then I wouldn't have the amusing story of how I got there! (I think I got as high as top 5.)

Story: Years ago, SA introduced the ability to buy intra-forums ads for a cheaper price than the normal banner ads. A... friend from high school decided to buy this hideous flashing pink banner which linked directly to my "ignore this user" link. When someone pointed this banner ad out to radium in the thread he posted for feedback on the new ad prices, he realized that probably shouldn't be allowed, and fixed it for future purchases, but in typical radium fashion he didn't fix the existing banner ad (so it ran for the full month or whatever). Several hundred people clicked it, as you can see from the Posting Gloryhole page. I like to believe that some of those people later became puzzled as to why they had a mod on their ignore list (I haven't been tracking the exact count so I don't know if it's decreased over time).

Oh, so that's why I have you on ignore. I couldn't remember ever putting someone on ignore but thought "I probably had a good reason" and let it be.

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

What is the thinking behind the "Great Race Space" in D&D? :wtc:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Zero Gravitas posted:

It's probably a better name than "Negrotown".

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Zero Gravitas posted:

Punning on The Great Space Race during the Cold War and replacing the title that subforum inherited from the thread that spawned it.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Affirmative action.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

This is more of a technical forums question, but this seems like a space that might hold the answer:

Is the "views" counter for threads accurate? I noticed, an active thread, and not a sticky or an old thread either, with like + x70 times as many views as replies. Like 12 replies and nearly 1300 views, and it just made me wonder if the view counters are actually right or if some tech issues or bots or whatever blows them up.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

This is more of a technical forums question, but this seems like a space that might hold the answer:

Is the "views" counter for threads accurate? I noticed, an active thread, and not a sticky or an old thread either, with like + x70 times as many views as replies. Like 12 replies and nearly 1300 views, and it just made me wonder if the view counters are actually right or if some tech issues or bots or whatever blows them up.

There's a tech question thread in QCS (QQcs these days)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Zero Gravitas posted:

TGRS is a place to talk about racism, sexism, lgtbtq rights and other social justice issues without trolls or literal nazis.

Black posters in D&D were being targeted, berated and felt we were treated unfairly for awhile and through the Negrotown Thread, TGRS was spawned. I wish it was still Nergrotown (never forget your roots!) but I understand the name change.

• Locked thread