Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

I think if Geralt had a "The One" it was her. Dumbass was too angsty to realize it too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Gaunter's everywhere. Haha.
http://imgur.com/r/witcher/WP4ph

Drifter fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Feb 2, 2017

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Omnicarus posted:

I think if Geralt had a "The One" it was her. Dumbass was too angsty to realize it too.
It feels like he's stuck with sorceresses given with normal women he'll either A) go out to slay a monster and end up eaten by a zeugl B) outlive them since apparently Witchers have a massively extended lifespan. (How old was Vesemir supposed to be?)

Also looking her up reveals she was killed by a pathogen Ciri brought back with her? Argh

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

yup, can't remember if it was the bubonic or pneumonic plague but she brought it from our world unless I'm mistaken

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Without context there's no way i'd recognize who those figures are supposed to be and I'm deep into a Witcher binge.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Spiderdrake posted:

It feels like he's stuck with sorceresses given with normal women he'll either A) go out to slay a monster and end up eaten by a zeugl B) outlive them since apparently Witchers have a massively extended lifespan. (How old was Vesemir supposed to be?)

Also looking her up reveals she was killed by a pathogen Ciri brought back with her? Argh

Plus sorceresses are also infertile, so that limitation becomes a non-issue.

Hexenritter posted:

yup, can't remember if it was the bubonic or pneumonic plague but she brought it from our world unless I'm mistaken

Smallpox.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Skwirl posted:

Without context there's no way i'd recognize who those figures are supposed to be and I'm deep into a Witcher binge.

I mean, they're pretty recognizably chibi versions of themselves. Maybe not for an average person, but anyone who's been exposed to the characters in the game should pretty easily recognize them for who they are. Doesn't mean they're not stupid, though.

And, I mean, nobody BUT fans of the series would buy those figures to begin with, so I mean, saying "without context" is kinda silly. Only the weirdos and freaks would be buying them. They're not meant for us normies at all.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I would seriously do terrible things for a Mafex or Figuarts Geralt figure. Especially if they have a few heads/faces so I can play barber.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

I'm surprised there isn't a Play Arts Kai knockoff style version of all the female characters with squishy boobs and undressability. I'm also glad because that poo poo is a bit ridiculous

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Okay, even though I haven't beaten Blood and Wine, I think here is what I'm going to do - Play Witcher 2 and beat it, then download a save from somewhere and start new game plus, so I can replay with the Mutation abilities from B&W(they carry over, right?). I will probably wind up reading more books between now and starting W3 over, so the experience should be enhanced. I also bought Witcher 1 on steam for like a dollar, but not sure if I should play that as well before my 3 restart. I've got a ton of poo poo in my backlog to play already much less doing what I'm talking about now. I figure I can save it for the further future when I'm desperate for more Witcher poo poo.

If anyone missed out on my last post, I recently swapped to PC gaming, and really don't want to fiddle with the PS4 right now so that's why I don't just go ahead and finish up Blood and Wine.

kilinrax
Oct 27, 2014

Those eyes ... they disappeared.
Personally I found Witcher 1 really hard to get into both before and after playing Witcher 3. YMMV. The combat system in particular I personally hated, and is nothing like 3. It felt like a mixture of Dungeon Siege and Arkham Asylum which failed at being either.

Not that I'm saying you shouldn't do it, but you'll need to adjust your expectations coming from 3.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Yeah, that's why I figured I'll just put it off for a while. 2 seems like it will be good though.

e: also I get to play with the Witcher 3 mods this time around.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I like Witcher 1, but for what it's worth I'd say it's pretty much glorified Diablo when it comes to combat - but instead of clicking frantically, you have to click to a rhythm. Personally I don't mind it, but it's certainly not the most in-depth combat system.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Centzon Totochtin posted:

I had like 30k when I went into the sewers for the toad quest, 5 K now when I found out the taxman quest exists because I upgraded a bunch of Witcher gear.

It may be suspended when you don't have the required amount of gold, it's been a while, but that makes sense that I'd implement it that way, since the quest does (potentially) ask you to pay a fine; I wouldn't want to fine you if you don't have a lot of gold to spend.

I can't actually check the details because I don't have this version of the editor installed anymore, so I'd suggest contacting our customer support: http://en.cdprojektred.com/contact-support/

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Centzon Totochtin posted:

I had like 30k when I went into the sewers for the toad quest, 5 K now when I found out the taxman quest exists because I upgraded a bunch of Witcher gear.

I'm not into the taxman quest, but I'm in a similar boat. Also I gave a shitload to the runewright. At least swords net me a ton of money nowadays, though the number of merchants who have any money left is dwindling unless I travel to Hattori or the Skellige master.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Just sell everything to the runewright, since you will be giving him money all the time anyways.

Yikes A Zombie!
Jul 18, 2003

I don't understand how the load screen narrator is supposed to be Dandelion. They sound nothing alike; even if the narrator is an Old Dandelion telling his story. They sound nothing alike. Dandelion is a dudebro in-game.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Just sell everything to the runewright, since you will be giving him money all the time anyways.

Oh yeah :downs:

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Yikes A Zombie! posted:

I don't understand how the load screen narrator is supposed to be Dandelion. They sound nothing alike; even if the narrator is an Old Dandelion telling his story. They sound nothing alike. Dandelion is a dudebro in-game.

Yeah it's pretty bad casting (at least in English), but it's definitely meant to be him.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

he is a GM smith and armorer, so just get all of your witcher gear made with him, fill it up with runewords, and then dump the endless amount of swords you can pick up on him. You can then sell the high end swords to smiths for a better profit without blowing out their inventory.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
I now have a few sidequests that involve Radovid, Dijkstra and Roche, which I'd like to take care of before I go intercept Dandelion's transfer convoy, that look like there might be some quest overlap. Is there any reason to not do one before the others so things don't get cancelled out, or are these all fully self-contained?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

redbackground posted:

I now have a few sidequests that involve Radovid, Dijkstra and Roche, which I'd like to take care of before I go intercept Dandelion's transfer convoy, that look like there might be some quest overlap. Is there any reason to not do one before the others so things don't get cancelled out, or are these all fully self-contained?

you can do them whenever, however doing djikstra's first leads to a small extra thing in the dandelion one, you can ask him for help at one point.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hexenritter posted:

The Catonia

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
Catriona/Bubonic plague

Yikes A Zombie!
Jul 18, 2003

I now have Aard powered up all the way through the top Intensity and augmented by mutagens and stones. Any non-boss fight basically consists of blasting them, then executing while they are on the ground. Keeps my blades from wearing.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Yikes A Zombie! posted:

I now have Aard powered up all the way through the top Intensity and augmented by mutagens and stones. Any non-boss fight basically consists of blasting them, then executing while they are on the ground. Keeps my blades from wearing.

Yeah but you can't dismember people left and right! :black101:

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Yikes A Zombie! posted:

Keeps my blades from wearing.
You're not witching properly if you ain't dulling your swords on your enemy's bones.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Feb 2, 2017

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Skwirl posted:

Geralt and Ciri I would probably get without any help. The outfit on Yen might get my brain there but it is fairly generic.

Pretty sure that's what was meant by "without context." If I just saw that Yen chibi in a store with no label ID'ing it and no other characters near it I might recognize for extra context I'd probably have been pretty puzzled. Likely would've assumed it was just another anime character I don't know about.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Ugato posted:

Geralt and Ciri I would probably get without any help. The outfit on Yen might get my brain there but it is fairly generic.

Pretty sure that's what was meant by "without context." If I just saw that Yen chibi in a store with no label ID'ing it and no other characters near it I might recognize for extra context I'd probably have been pretty puzzled. Likely would've assumed it was just another anime character I don't know about.

That's probably true for like half of the Funkos. They're hugely popular on desks where I work, but most people leave them in the boxes since they say the name of the character and what they're from.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Wait that plague that Radovid's subjects are dying from, that Keira thinks she can buy a pardon by curing? That's the black death, and Ciri caused it? This series is so cool.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

2house2fly posted:

Wait that plague that Radovid's subjects are dying from, that Keira thinks she can buy a pardon by curing? That's the black death, and Ciri caused it? This series is so cool.

Yup, Ciri hops into our dimension at some point and brings it back with her. She also chills out with King Arthur for a while, too.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

2house2fly posted:

Yup. Ciri goes time hopping and literally runs through Genoa at the high point of the first plague outbreak. A flea jumps on her. Then she jumps back to a village in Nilfgaard and the flea jumps on a rat that gets on the Catriona, and thus the first plague ship is made.

However, iirc Essi was killed by Smallpox, not plague. She died only a few years after Geralt and her parted ways, and it was before the Battle of Sodden Hill so long before Cintra was conquered or Ciri was jumping around.

Omnicarus fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Feb 3, 2017

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I'm going to start a book series called "Where's Gaunter?" where you have to find him in a series of drawings where you both have to solve a riddle to see what he is hiding in, and then find him in the pile of them somewhere in the drawing. If you don't do it in ten minutes, you get sucked into the book to be one of the screaming background characters for all eternity.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Yikes A Zombie! posted:

I started doing this in Hearts of Stone because of the huge amount of knight bandits, and then in Blood and Wine with Freezing Aard it was just about all I did.

And to those that say "but then you don't dismember" - OH YES IT DOES if it's a simultaneous freeze and knockdown. Game even goes into slowmo to show the whole corpse exploding.

Add in Blue mutagens and Griffin Armour and a lot of fights can be won with Aard-spam.
Also when dyed all one colour like blue or turquoise, Grandmaster Griffin Armor actually looks kind of cool and knightly.

bewilderment fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Feb 3, 2017

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Omnicarus posted:

Yup. Ciri goes time hopping and literally runs through Genoa at the high point of the first plague outbreak. A flea jumps on her. Then she jumps back to a village in Nilfgaard and the flea jumps on a rat that gets on the Catriona, and thus the first plague ship is made.

However, iirc Essi was killed by Smallpox, not plague. She died only a few years after Geralt and her parted ways, and it was before the Battle of Sodden Hill so long before Cintra was conquered or Ciri was jumping around.

This is correct, as I said earlier, she died of Smallpox.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

redbackground posted:

You're not witching properly if you ain't dulling your swords on your enemy's bones.

Elementals are an unholy creation of blacksmiths to keep their coffers full.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I'm finishing up B&W so I'm digging through neat anecdotes of yours now that I'm not as worried about spoilers.

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

By the way, did anyone playing Equine Phantoms try talking to the other animals at the hermit's house? That was a very late addition to the quest, I wonder if anyone actually notices it.
Hey! Yes I did!

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I'm finishing up B&W so I'm digging through neat anecdotes of yours now that I'm not as worried about spoilers.

Hey! Yes I did!

That makes me happy, one of the most fun things I got to do on B&W was pick out different voice sets for the different animals.

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah, all those animals behind the house were a fun little surprise. Discovered them while desperately trying to find the "hidden" ending without realizing all you have to do is run away. :downs:

Think it might be time for a third playthrough, with some mods this time. Saw some good lists here earlier that I forgot to copy somewhere, but from what I can remember, think I'll give the User Friendly UI one a go at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Fuzz posted:

I dunno who Lawen is, but I cleaned up the list and actually added links:

The Good Mod List:

Mandatory: (Get all of these)

Optional Gameplay/Quality of Life Improvements: (in order of importance)
  • Friendly HUD (because I like seeing the HUD I need when I need it, not all the time. MUCH more immersive)
  • Better Trophies (Makes trophies actually worth keeping and swapping around)
  • Refill Alcohol Selection (Always uses the alcohol you have the most of, so you can't run out of anything)
  • Cheaper Respec Potions (respeccing for cheaper = more variety and chance to mess around)
  • Cheap Dyes Everywhere (because gently caress waiting for endgame DLC for that poo poo. Dyeable Starting Armor is also good)
  • Perks Always Active (Passives are totally a losing proposition otherwise and at a certain point you have too many skillpoints)

Optional Graphical and Aesthetic Tweaks: (no specific order)
  • HD Reworked Project (improved textures are mainly noticeable in Novigrad and Skellige)
  • Improved Sign Effects (because having a huge shockwave Aard that flattens dudes is :krad:)
  • Griffin Armor Redesign (Because I'm a fat shamer and don't like :btroll: Geralt)
  • No Dirty Lens Effect (I don't like feeling like I'm playing a movie)
  • Scabbards on NPCs (Makes NPCs look loving AWESOME and maintains your immersion)
  • Turbo Lighting Mod (Makes nights spooky, works well with Weather despite some conflicts)
  • Enhanced Weather (Because holy poo poo looking out over Velen when it's foggy is BEAUTIFUL)
  • Lore Friendly Witchers (Only used the eyes, because I like the specular shiny thing and in a lot of cutscenes it makes Geralt look even more badass. Or you can make Geralt look like a pasty albino if you're a book sperg, but never run in the rain/get wet because there's no wet skin shadermapping)