Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Ah yes, the old "There is no good and evil, there is only power, and those too weak to seek it." Thanks Professor Voldemort!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

Flesh Forge posted:

Somebody pointed out to me that one of the earliest pages of the comic showed Allison's catchphrase to be "Might Makes Right!" I read it at the time and forgot about it.

Other way around. I remembered it because Freedom Force did the same thing with Minuteman.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
The art was nicer back then.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Did he get all those scars from being too smug at people?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Skellybones posted:

And it had an ultimately false sense of hope that it might go somewhere.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

KaosMachina posted:

Is this trying to go for a 'words and intents are meaningless unless you can force them upon others in one fashion or another' moral

https://twitter.com/dril/status/473265809079693312?lang=en

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/dril/status/824061259511427074

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

KaosMachina posted:

Other way around. I remembered it because Freedom Force did the same thing with Minuteman.

Oops yeah you're right, I meant to type it that way but I'm pretty sleepy and wrote it backwards.

Skellybones posted:

It really was, maybe it's more polished now but it's a lot less interesting to look at.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

KaosMachina posted:

You gotta might

for your right

- Descarte(-y)

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Clearly she is a Sovereign Citizen and simultaneously a government and military in her own person.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
I know webcomic update schedules can make pacing feel like a drag even when it's not but this scene is on its 12th page with no sign of stopping.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Typical Pubbie posted:

I know webcomic update schedules can make pacing feel like a drag even when it's not but this scene is on its 12th page with no sign of stopping.

The conversation started before december 30th. It's been going on for over a month.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Looking forward to the hitball arc.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Cool he literally went there. Very timely.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Allstone posted:

You gotta might

for your right

- Descarte(-y)

Seriously they must be reading this thread :tinfoil:

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
I guess I feel this is a little meandering, although I kinda like the professor character.

Inalienable rights literally do not exist outside of your brain unless people make them exist by their interactions. They're ideas, not, like, molecules or gasses, which may exist even though the naked eye can't see them. History and the world is full of segments were people had to fight pretty hard until their respective society agreed to make real additional rights through laws and consequences.

Well, we already established it's pretty hard to stick any consequences on our protagonist outside of regretful nausea, so I guess in the professor's place I couldn't tell her anything else either. Yeah, you forced this douche to do stuff against his will because no one can protect his right to decide what to do with his life from you, Allison. The mechanisms of civilized society can do nothing to you.

http://strongfemaleprotagonist.com/issue-3/page-74/ Remember this? "Every day I don't kill a thousand loving people, they should throw me a ticker-tape parade."

http://strongfemaleprotagonist.com/issue-3/page-75/ "I just threatened to kill several hundred people on national TV and nothing bad happened to me."

Allison is beholden only to herself and she is profoundly uncomfortable with the responsibility. She's a shark that most people cannot stop. She is beyond the jurisdiction of most establishments that work to secure rights as basic as life and 'not getting abducted in the night.' I guess I kind of assumed she'd gotten to that realization through her meetings with Cleaver. And her weird super doctor literally joked that they'd try to get people off-planet if Allison went supervillain.

I don't know, some of her lines here don't sit well with me. I appreciate that she's done something she's grappling with, but I expected a different sort of introspection, maybe? Weird.

Psykmoe fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jan 31, 2017

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Psykmoe posted:

And her weird super doctor literally joked that they'd try to get people off-planet if Allison went supervillain.

I doubt that was a joke.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
He actually quoted the Beastie Boys. This reads like a high school book report. :cripes:

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
You can loving see the seams between the original script and where they changed it after Trump was elected, Jesus Christ. Like a loving quilt.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Still hoping Professor Jerkshoes is some amazing twist evil mastermind but it doesn't look like it.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Typical Pubbie posted:

He actually quoted the Beastie Boys. This reads like a high school book report. :cripes:

Or like they're trying to channel Dr. House and doing a bad job of it.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

guest story arc by kazerad

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

guest story arc by kazerad

Has anyone started drowning themselves in alcohol yet?

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Typical Pubbie posted:

I mean it's not totally unreasonable. The Beastie Boys have been around since 1980 and got some pretty big pop acclaim. It's not unreasonable someone who's around young people for years would hear of them even if they aren't into them.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Trast posted:

I mean it's not totally unreasonable. The Beastie Boys have been around since 1980 and got some pretty big pop acclaim. It's not unreasonable someone who's around young people for years would hear of them even if they aren't into them.

Seriously, my philosophy prof loved pop culture references. A dramatic jackass like professor scarface quoting Beastie Boys is perfectly in character.

Maha
Dec 29, 2006
sapere aude
I think this comic is still redeemable. Drop Clevin and the women's shelter thing ASAP, circle back to Patrick and the Illuminati and make something out of it this time.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Maha posted:

I think this comic is still redeemable. Drop Clevin and the women's shelter thing ASAP, circle back to Patrick and the Illuminati and make something out of it this time.

I hate to break it to you, but I just don't think that there is any desire to take that plot arc anywhere. The author has very consciously divorced the current comic from the first few chapters, I doubt they'd even know what they wanted to do with the conspiracy angle anymore.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

clevin isn't going anywhere

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

akulanization posted:

I hate to break it to you, but I just don't think that there is any desire to take that plot arc anywhere. The author has very consciously divorced the current comic from the first few chapters, I doubt they'd even know what they wanted to do with the conspiracy angle anymore.

I think it's pretty clear he had the Might Makes Right/Embrace Fascism theme built in at the start but yeah much of the rest has just been sitting on the floor since the beginning.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

akulanization posted:

The worst part about it all, is that the comment section just jerks off every new page about how it's literally the best writing and art on the internet. These people are so, so dumb and I hate them.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Personally, I'm frustrated because this whole conversation could have been so, so much better than it is - and the point it's arrived at is a decent one.
Allison is trying to get external sanction - absolution, as the prof says. He's trying to make her see that no such sanction exists, that morality is constructed and the world cruel. So, Allison needs to decide how comfortable she is with forcing morality on the world, because it won't be moral on its own. Of course, this is poorly written because it's being used to give her sanction, actually, which is gross. If you're going to say 'human rights exist inasmuch as we fight for them, not in any other way' then turning around to say 'also, anything goes! Beat up that strawman some more for his special talents' is pretty weird.

That entire argument could have taken two pages. One to say 'I'm not going to give you sanction' and one to say 'also there is no sanction' aaaaand we're done, and can move on to the interesting part (Allison's response to that). Because by the bones of the sainted Alan Moore, was that ever the most obnoxious example of the most facile argument in moral philosophy - an argument between a freshman-year philosopher's conception of consequentialism and deontology. You don't need the performance! Plus, like, no ground is broken, the entirety of Watchmen is about those two moral philosophies and how moral philosophy is degraded/transcended by power.

Also, if this comic had been pitched as 'an incredibly powerful jerk goes through Moral Philosophy 101' I would have never started it. The only reason I'm reading this bit is because I've been engrossed in the trainwreck for too long, please, save me from myself

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Joe Slowboat posted:

Personally, I'm frustrated because this whole conversation could have been so, so much better than it is - and the point it's arrived at is a decent one.
Allison is trying to get external sanction - absolution, as the prof says. He's trying to make her see that no such sanction exists, that morality is constructed and the world cruel. So, Allison needs to decide how comfortable she is with forcing morality on the world, because it won't be moral on its own. Of course, this is poorly written because it's being used to give her sanction, actually, which is gross. If you're going to say 'human rights exist inasmuch as we fight for them, not in any other way' then turning around to say 'also, anything goes! Beat up that strawman some more for his special talents' is pretty weird.

That entire argument could have taken two pages. One to say 'I'm not going to give you sanction' and one to say 'also there is no sanction' aaaaand we're done, and can move on to the interesting part (Allison's response to that). Because by the bones of the sainted Alan Moore, was that ever the most obnoxious example of the most facile argument in moral philosophy - an argument between a freshman-year philosopher's conception of consequentialism and deontology. You don't need the performance! Plus, like, no ground is broken, the entirety of Watchmen is about those two moral philosophies and how moral philosophy is degraded/transcended by power.

Also, if this comic had been pitched as 'an incredibly powerful jerk goes through Moral Philosophy 101' I would have never started it. The only reason I'm reading this bit is because I've been engrossed in the trainwreck for too long, please, save me from myself

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Good point.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

good dog

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Joe Slowboat posted:

Go do literally anything else.

I recommend breaking rocks into other, smaller rocks. That way, you get gravel, a substance that is extremely useful and, I think, underappreciated.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
The next time you think "I am going to read Strong Female Protagonist, a webcomic that I dislike in every facet, and whose perusal yields me no pleasure whatsoever.", you should avoid doing that.

Go outside instead.

Or remain indoors to enjoy one of the near infinite other options available to someone with internet access! Or do your taxes!

This is my plea to you, fellow forums readers who keep reading or watching things they no longer enjoy at all, not even in a "wow this is really bad. how will they continue to gently caress up!?" sense.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I actually like parts of the comic, and I haven't been reluctant to praise it when it's good :shrug: But I'm not going to be reluctant to poo poo on it when it's bad either.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i like the bits with clevin

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Cravin' for Clevin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Flesh Forge posted:

I actually like parts of the comic, and I haven't been reluctant to praise it when it's good :shrug: But I'm not going to be reluctant to poo poo on it when it's bad either.

Then my advice does not apply to you. Congrats.

• Locked thread