Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shas
Jul 27, 2011

It's YAFAP but I beat Crawl 0.19 as a MiFi. Only three runes, and nearly lost it all while legging it to a bunch of bastards inflicting Damnation, but I'll take it for what it is.

http://crawl.xtahua.com/crawl/morgue/shas/morgue-shas-20170131-192131.txt

Had a pretty great time doing it and am looking forward to trying out some other (magic using, probably) characters, although I'll miss my horribly mutated headbutting & yelling minotaur

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

I'm super depressed about losing my FoFi last night. I was doing really well with it, had +10 plate armor, +5 slaying gloves, insane SH from deflecting neck + artifact shield and regen, and had great penetration arbalests from Oka. I got cocky in Elf:3 and got blown the gently caress up by magic because my resists were poo poo. I learned a little from this though :)

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Kaedric posted:

I'm super depressed about losing my FoFi last night. I was doing really well with it, had +10 plate armor, +5 slaying gloves, insane SH from deflecting neck + artifact shield and regen, and had great penetration arbalests from Oka. I got cocky in Elf:3 and got blown the gently caress up by magic because my resists were poo poo. I learned a little from this though :)

Yeah doing Elf as a melee beefster I have a list: N+++ (because drain isn't deadly but it is annoying), at least rF+, rC+ and rPois. Lastly, rM++ OR a way to deal with the Abyss. Sometimes depending on gear luck I'll do Elf before getting the first rune, ideally after Orc, Lair, and D15. That said, as FoFi you're probably going to be mindelay on a battle axe by then, which means the only guys who can take more than 1 or 2 hits are blademasters/master archers.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Speaking from experience those blademasters can gently caress you up in a hurry if you're not being careful around them.

But the most dangerous elves for formicids are the ones that can tunnel through rock and summon earth elementals, smashing apart your murder holes and leaving you suddenly exposed to a dozen angry elves while low on health.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
gently caress Oklobs.

Also, gently caress me for thinking "it's okay, I have 35 AC, I can just run up to the oklobs and kill them! :downs:"

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Carcer posted:

Speaking from experience those blademasters can gently caress you up in a hurry if you're not being careful around them.

But the most dangerous elves for formicids are the ones that can tunnel through rock and summon earth elementals, smashing apart your murder holes and leaving you suddenly exposed to a dozen angry elves while low on health.

I cannot stress how correct this comment is. If your murder hole remains in tact nothing can stop you unless you're woefully under prepared. The earth elementalists exist as murder hole breakers and creators of annoying crap that spawns in your way as you're fleeing or attempting to take care of actual threats. These guys are responsible for more elf deaths than I can count.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Its a very important lesson to learn in elf because the same poo poo will come back to haunt you in Pan with those Yellow demons (cacodemons?). A formicid securely entrenched in a murderhole can take everything the game can throw at you.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

http://colinmorris.github.io/blog/dcss_species

Some interesting analysis of game stats here, had no idea demonspawn were such popular starts. And while I've won with DD before, usually they just make me hate myself if I play one.

Wolfechu fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Feb 1, 2017

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Demonspawn may encourage scumming as you realize you got monstrous or hate your first mutation set and kill yourself.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I choose to believe people just find demonspawn really fun and pick them more often because of that. I know that's why I pick them! They are very unique and exciting because every level can bring you a fun surprise with a new mutation to work with.

Deep dwarves winning the most is really easy to explain. Inside their power combos they are absurdly good, and outside of them they are utterly miserable to play. So almost every time someone picks one they go for the power option since they don't want the game to feel like pulling teeth.

Anyways, neat post. Some interesting stats there.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Mr. Prokosch posted:

Demonspawn may encourage scumming as you realize you got monstrous or hate your first mutation set and kill yourself.

Internet Kraken posted:

I choose to believe people just find demonspawn really fun and pick them more often because of that. I know that's why I pick them! They are very unique and exciting because every level can bring you a fun surprise with a new mutation to work with.

Yeah. Demonspawn do have e.g. the highest quit rate of any race, but even after filtering that out, they remain decisively the most popular race. Folks love their demonspawns!

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

I'm not that surprised, demonspawn are both cool and good. They have pretty universal apts with peaks in fun skills and a random set of unique and strong mutations. You can play a demonspawn any way, they're like a more interesting human or less bad demigod.

I was surprised that octopodes beat gargoyles and mummies beat half the field for pick rate though.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

PleasingFungus posted:

Yeah. Demonspawn do have e.g. the highest quit rate of any race, but even after filtering that out, they remain decisively the most popular race. Folks love their demonspawns!

Demonspawn are just interesting conceptually so that's probably why. They have a lot of powerful, unique mutations but the tradeoff is you never know which ones you're actually going to get.

I can never get the hang of them just because their low aptitudes throw me off and I end up diving deeper faster than I should.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Hey I got a nice SpEN of Dithmenos going, can you guys remind me of the maximum skill levels to stop things at, and also give a reminder of key utility spells to go for, I'm not a complete scrub but I ain't played in like 3 years so I need reminding on details.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So I have a question about balance; would it really be a problem to let players combine wands to have more charges? Every time I try to use evocations I run into the same problem of inventory management being a disaster. I want to keep these wands, but I don't have the space for them. If i played "optimally" I could just drop all the duplicates off in a big pile somewhere but its annoying to keep fetching stuff from a stash. Now that rods are going away and being replaced with even more wands, I gotta ask if there any plans to make inventory clutter less of an issue when it comes to wands.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Internet Kraken posted:

So I have a question about balance; would it really be a problem to let players combine wands to have more charges? Every time I try to use evocations I run into the same problem of inventory management being a disaster. I want to keep these wands, but I don't have the space for them. If i played "optimally" I could just drop all the duplicates off in a big pile somewhere but its annoying to keep fetching stuff from a stash. Now that rods are going away and being replaced with even more wands, I gotta ask if there any plans to make inventory clutter less of an issue when it comes to wands.

The experience of elemental-evocable merging makes me nervous about wand stacking, but I wouldn't be surprised if it happened anyway within the next few versions. It's a popular suggestion.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Carcer posted:

This is literally what happened. I was all confident and owning motherfuckers and then suddenly I was in a wide open space with like 10 elf dudes in robes fireballing me and blammo dead

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Hey I got a nice SpEN of Dithmenos going, can you guys remind me of the maximum skill levels to stop things at, and also give a reminder of key utility spells to go for, I'm not a complete scrub but I ain't played in like 3 years so I need reminding on details.

12 for Short Blades to minimize all types. Stealth I would soft cap at ~8 to start and add more into it as feels necessary. Hexes is bumped until Invisibility is safely castable, then Spellcasting to bring up to make level 3 to maybe level 4 spells hungerless; you're going to be spamming Confuse and Dazzling Spray for anything that can't be EH. Dodging until EV is at a comfortable level; I like 20 as a nice round number to strive for though if you weren't a Spriggan 18 would be an acceptable first stop.

Basically your entire starting book is worthwhile aside from Corona (because you can see invisible and you're Dex score is already high enough for the accuracy boost to not be necessary). Try to find a source of invisibility. If you find it in ring form, train Evocations until you have better than 50% chance of success. You don't need it as heavily as the Hexes version because failing just burns a trivial amount of hunger and you're going to be using it out of sight of a potential sleeper for stabs. Once you've got your core you can either hybridize up into Long Blades, work your way into Summons with Shadow Creatures being your go-to 3-rune spell of choice, or Invo/Evo depending on god and found tools.

Ugly John
Jul 18, 2009
[img]https://forums.somethingawful.com/attachment.php?postid=514899866[/img]
Demonspawn are the ultimate bait and switch because this is totally the time that you're going to get the mutation set you want and it'll be so cool and it'll be insane and

Well, poo poo. OK, maybe I can make this work but

Dead.

OK, THIS is totally the time you'll get

Also, they're probably the best really high Invo race since for some reason every time I try to use HO for that it ends up dying quickly.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

DD best high invo race sadly, DsMokhleb's only title is "most fun."

If you don't like your mutations, dive Jiyva. Jiyva won't fix them, but will make it up to you. Or you'll die on Slime:4 to three acid blobs.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
The slime 4 part is most likely.

Kaedric posted:

This is literally what happened. I was all confident and owning motherfuckers and then suddenly I was in a wide open space with like 10 elf dudes in robes fireballing me and blammo dead

You've got to be ready to just burn every consumable when poo poo hits the fan with formicids. I know this is a general rule when things go wrong but you've (often) got no way out of a bad fight other than over the corpses of your tormentors.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

DD is lousy for their high invocations, their god choice is pretty limited by their boring awful mechanic.

Ugly John posted:

Demonspawn are the ultimate bait and switch because this is totally the time that you're going to get the mutation set you want and it'll be so cool and it'll be insane and

Well, poo poo. OK, maybe I can make this work but
There's only like three unique mutations that are lousy though. Rot, Black Mark & Hellfire tend to be kinda mediocre (especially rot) but everything else is great even when it doesn't especially suit your character.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
If we remove deep dwarves, can we get high elves back?

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

How about Midlevel Dwelves, a disgusting combo of both of them

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
"Hm, I can target myself with Yara's Violent Unraveling. Perhaps this is a way to dispel glow? I mean it says it causes a mutagenic explosion but maybe the purge overrides that. I'll test it, worst case scenario is I get lightly contaminated right?"

quote:

Your magical effects are unravelling.
The enchantments explode! The unravelling hits you!
Strange energies course through your body.
You feel yourself wasting away.
Your body deteriorates! You feel clumsy.

:saddowns: gently caress :saddowns:

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
It is interesting to see that High elves were the 6th most popular species, but 2nd lowest win rate. I think that probably points towards new players using them if they don't want to all in on deep elf blasters.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Carcer posted:

It is interesting to see that High elves were the 6th most popular species, but 2nd lowest win rate. I think that probably points towards new players using them if they don't want to all in on deep elf blasters.

How many people play human? They seem like they'd be a popular beginner choice even though they're actually one of the harder races and I don't think anyone experienced plays them just because they're also boring.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I honestly kind of hate the old 'humans are average' cliche, but in Crawl, they fill the mechanical role of being a conceptual baseline. 0 in a vacuum is a little weird. It's easier once you actually have a starting point you understand ("okay, so elves are way better at magic than humans, but way worse at not getting swirlied"), rather than the 0 just being some arbitrary rate. (It is, in effect, still just an arbitrary rate, but people are not rational actors.)

Edit The data stuff made me wanna try DS again. Sanguine armor doesn't seem to have an entry, but it's really drat good. Where is it in the code?

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Feb 2, 2017

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
Glow is a sucky mechanic - there needs to be a polymorph other or irradiate spell that uses your glow (maybe with uncertain effects) or a wild magic/ random effect spell system, or have a mechanic where wielding an anti magic weapon drains it quickly, or some mini game where it's not just a bad mutation timer.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Alternative answer, remove glow from the important things and replace the mutation effects with increasingly severe -wiz and reduced mp regeneration. Especially with haste now restricted to just potions the only serious positives it has is limiting invisibility and controlled blink. Give cBlink spellpower and scatter inversely related to that power, making spellpower relevant is a good thing that should happen more (but don't make the beckoning mistake because 200 power is a ridiculous benchmark for any character and even hitting 160 without an enhancer is extremely tough) Invisibility can stay as is because the eventual corona effect of glow is extremely effective at preventing overuse. Haste could probably have it removed entirely now that it's limited, not that it matter much except maybe orb run (give the orb stasis!)

Glow actually becomes semi relevant for miscasts and you could even up the contam numbers on some stuff instead of only seeing it if you get repeatedly unlucky with level 9 spells or when spamming irradiate. Hell contam would actually be somewhat interesting instead of complete garbage and I would stop complaining about that awful feature.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Darox posted:

Alternative answer, remove glow from the important things and replace the mutation effects with increasingly severe -wiz and reduced mp regeneration. Especially with haste now restricted to just potions the only serious positives it has is limiting invisibility and controlled blink. Give cBlink spellpower and scatter inversely related to that power, making spellpower relevant is a good thing that should happen more (but don't make the beckoning mistake because 200 power is a ridiculous benchmark for any character and even hitting 160 without an enhancer is extremely tough) Invisibility can stay as is because the eventual corona effect of glow is extremely effective at preventing overuse. Haste could probably have it removed entirely now that it's limited, not that it matter much except maybe orb run (give the orb stasis!)

Glow actually becomes semi relevant for miscasts and you could even up the contam numbers on some stuff instead of only seeing it if you get repeatedly unlucky with level 9 spells or when spamming irradiate. Hell contam would actually be somewhat interesting instead of complete garbage and I would stop complaining about that awful feature.

Whoa, yet another good suggestion related to glow! Make it something strategically inopportune as opposed to a basic Cancellation Potion check or else "here's your lovely mutations, bud"

Lawdog69
Nov 2, 2010

tote up a bags posted:

How about Midlevel Dwelves, a disgusting combo of both of them

I really like this idea.

Are transmuters just really hard to play? The best I've ever done with one was a troll that ignored transmutations until Lair and found nutty gear on the floor (still died because of tab addiction tho).

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Transmuters are easy with the right race (try merfolk). They don't rely on gear much because of their transformations, and the starting book can pretty much get you through the whole game (mainly blade hands).

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

PMush Perfect posted:

Edit The data stuff made me wanna try DS again. Sanguine armor doesn't seem to have an entry, but it's really drat good. Where is it in the code?
yeah sanguine armour is great

The code crosses over a few modules:
https://github.com/crawl/crawl/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=sanguine

This is the function that decides how much AC you get:
https://github.com/crawl/crawl/blob/698f215f77c1ac809f261242d631c42a8c32786f/crawl-ref/source/player.cc#L5935

Looks like 6-12 depending on mut lvl

I think this means it lasts 6-10 turns after you got hurt
https://github.com/crawl/crawl/blob/698f215f77c1ac809f261242d631c42a8c32786f/crawl-ref/source/player.cc#L8567

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Lawdog69 posted:

I really like this idea.
Turns out all those marble statues the Greeks made were actually the bodies of midlevel dwelves. Oops.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Lawdog69 posted:

I really like this idea.

Are transmuters just really hard to play? The best I've ever done with one was a troll that ignored transmutations until Lair and found nutty gear on the floor (still died because of tab addiction tho).

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Transmuters are easy with the right race (try merfolk). They don't rely on gear much because of their transformations, and the starting book can pretty much get you through the whole game (mainly blade hands).
Eh, they're still harder than a regular melee dude or a regular caster dude. Having to constantly melee stuff while you have poo poo for defenses is brutal, and so is having to split your skills up so much so early.

It gets easier once you have forms that don't die to a stiff breeze, but that takes a while and you can't rely on your startbook for it(other than Blade Hands, which is defense by sheer offense).

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
In my opinion, equipment that melds into your body when you transmute yourself should continue to provide you with its magical properties. To prevent your carrying a weapon around to be a stat stick the spells could be uncastable when you've got a weapon wielded.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

Darox posted:

DD is lousy for their high invocations, their god choice is pretty limited by their boring awful mechanic.
There's only like three unique mutations that are lousy though. Rot, Black Mark & Hellfire tend to be kinda mediocre (especially rot) but everything else is great even when it doesn't especially suit your character.

I actually look forward to Rot aka Foul Stench. If I get it early enough, I'll consider picking up Kikubaaqudgha. Between the Corpse Drop invocation (based on necro iirc) and the Corpse Rot spell (which I might not get from the book), I'm perfectly suited to miasma bomb the dungeon or at least take advantage of one of my better aptitudes. It's not the best tier 2 mutation, but it won't screw you over like Nightstalker on a DsFE you planned to firestorm with.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Sage Grimm posted:

12 for Short Blades to minimize all types. Stealth I would soft cap at ~8 to start and add more into it as feels necessary. Hexes is bumped until Invisibility is safely castable, then Spellcasting to bring up to make level 3 to maybe level 4 spells hungerless; you're going to be spamming Confuse and Dazzling Spray for anything that can't be EH. Dodging until EV is at a comfortable level; I like 20 as a nice round number to strive for though if you weren't a Spriggan 18 would be an acceptable first stop.

Basically your entire starting book is worthwhile aside from Corona (because you can see invisible and you're Dex score is already high enough for the accuracy boost to not be necessary). Try to find a source of invisibility. If you find it in ring form, train Evocations until you have better than 50% chance of success. You don't need it as heavily as the Hexes version because failing just burns a trivial amount of hunger and you're going to be using it out of sight of a potential sleeper for stabs. Once you've got your core you can either hybridize up into Long Blades, work your way into Summons with Shadow Creatures being your go-to 3-rune spell of choice, or Invo/Evo depending on god and found tools.

Thanks this helped a lot I actually got to Lair again. I splatted when I decided to fight Fannar without knowing who he was but I learned a lot for my next go. :shrug:

On the subject of uniques that I didn't recognise and hosed me up, holy poo poo Natasha and her ressurecting almost got me earlier when I didn't realise she would keep coming back before I'd recovered from killing her and I decided to just get the gently caress out with 2hp.

Spriggans seem stronger to me now than when I last played, hunger/eating seems so irrelevant now that I feel like I can spam Confuse at a much lower level on SpEN.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
My first ever extended character has hit another milestone - just got through Gehenna and got the fiery rune. 13 runes down, 2 to go.

Gehenna was actually a bit more of a struggle that I was expecting. I had to cancel out of my run trough about 10-15 times because of bad hell effects or inopportune mana shortages. I'm more prepared for Dis/Tartarus though with a staff of energy and a crystal ball to make sure that I always have emergency mana access.

So anything I really need to be aware of for Dis/Tartarus? My main damage spells are Firestorm, LCS, Chain Lit, and Tornado, and I also have Deflect Missles and Controlled Blink up and running for defense. I think I should be fine to make it through these branches, but I'm still worried as really don't want to lose this run to something unexpected.

• Locked thread