Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I think Korematsu v. United States was wrongly decided, but the thing about revisiting Supreme Court decisions is that you need a new case.

Trump is the first president in a long time who might do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Platystemon posted:

I think Korematsu v. United States was wrongly decided, but the thing about revisiting Supreme Court decisions is that you need a new case.

Watch, the court he'll have will rule so narrowly we'll have to rename the Planck Length the Roberts Width, and then they'll tack a "no precedent!" tail on it to make sure everyone needs to sue separately.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Platystemon posted:

If his appointment s are consistent with his governance, Korematsu might get confirmed.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

If his appointment s are consistent with his governance, Korematsu might get confirmed.

Unless Trump gets to replace everyone except Alito, probably not.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
lol @ Gorsuch being right of Alito

just not true in any sense

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

So Virginia finally filed a motion to show cause and contempt for the feds not following the stay.

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/826989984288800770?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

FAUXTON posted:

Watch, the court he'll have will rule so narrowly we'll have to rename the Planck Length the Roberts Width, and then they'll tack a "no precedent!" tail on it to make sure everyone needs to sue separately.

Ah, the O'Connor Gambit.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/MariaSohn1/status/827018316917121024

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Daily mail.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Javid posted:

Daily mail.

Well, yeah. They know all about fascism.

Space Gopher fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Feb 2, 2017

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Javid posted:

Daily mail.

Is someone upset over them May meeting or something?

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Hopefully someone more reputable will try and get in touch with the dude they got the yearbook photos from.

JHomer722
Jul 30, 2006

And you, you ridiculous people, you expect me to help you.

Nitrousoxide posted:

So Virginia finally filed a motion to show cause and contempt for the feds not following the stay.

Even if it's approved, I wonder if the US Marshalls will actually loving do something about it

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

JHomer722 posted:

Even if it's approved, I wonder if the US Marshalls will actually loving do something about it
Actually arresting other federal LEOs or taking people from their custody by force is probably the last thing the rank-and-file Deputy Marshals want to do. I image they will work pretty hard to avoid it.

VitalSigns posted:

Wasn't drawing up a list of Supreme Court cases to revisit one of the biggest pitches of the right's campaign this cycle?
You're the one that argued that we need to totally abandon the idea of appointing experienced, moderate jurists and treat Supreme Court vacancies like snap elections for a nine member Senate with lifetime terms, so I honestly have no idea what your point is.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Nah, the right wing and Mitch McConnell were the ones who decided to treat SCOTUS vacancies that way chief.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Dead Reckoning posted:

Actually arresting other federal LEOs or taking people from their custody by force is probably the last thing the rank-and-file Deputy Marshals want to do. I image they will work pretty hard to avoid it.

Don't really care whether they want to do it or not it's their job.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

collegerepublicans.jpg

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

Green Crayons posted:

lol @ Gorsuch being right of Alito

just not true in any sense

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/neil-gorsuch-supreme-court-trump/

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

Platystemon posted:

I suspect it will be cited sooner rather than later. Any reason to believe it's not still good law? I'm pretty confident in three votes to keep it and reasonably confident in a fourth at least. Of course, if you ignore court orders none of that matters.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Now we know why President Bannon likes him.

Javid posted:

Daily mail.

You think they forged his yearbook?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

TheAngryDrunk posted:

You think they forged his yearbook?

It's still the Daily Mail, if it's real someone respectable will perform due diligence and then report it.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Don't really care whether they want to do it or not it's their job.

Yeah, and it's the job of the EPA to faithfully follow the orders of the executive to assist in their own destruction, but in both cases, career bureaucrats are going to drag their feet as long as possible to avoid what they see as a huge mistake.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Dead Reckoning posted:

Yeah, and it's the job of the EPA to faithfully follow the orders of the executive to assist in their own destruction, but in both cases, career bureaucrats are going to drag their feet as long as possible to avoid what they see as a huge mistake.

The originating account has since protected his tweets, but you can see a political science professor casting doubt on the idea that the bureaucracy will actually have as much impact as you might hope.

https://twitter.com/ClarkHat/status/827184371136393216

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

That certainly is a wrong line graph and is terrible shorthand when we have actual voting records to compare rather than "who nominated the guy."

Here's the methodology for that line graph:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/how-trumps-nominee-will-alter-the-supreme-court/ posted:

We can glimpse the possible futures of the court using one such approach, “judicial common space” scores, developed by Lee Epstein, a political scientist at Washington University in St. Louis, and several co-authors. These measures — offspring of Martin-Quinn scores for the Supreme Court and DW-Nominate scores for legislatures — use the ideologies of the nominating president and the judge’s home-state senators to triangulate a judge’s ideology. The latter is included as a nod to the norm of “senatorial courtesy” — the tacit agreement that other senators not support a nominee who is opposed by senators from the nominee’s state.1 The higher the number, the more conservative the judge. (These measures aren’t perfect, of course, and there have been ideological surprises in the past. Justice David Souter, a reliably liberal voter, was appointed by President George H. W. Bush.)

Using actual votes in previous cases, Gorsuch is not to the right of Alito (nor is Gorsuch a liberal; he's basically a Scalia clone, and Scalia was better than Alito).

Pick any position, and Alito is conservative on it. Not principled, small-r republican conservative; as in, what partisan conservatives would want. This is known.

Just off the top of my head, based on what limited information we have about his voting history, Gorsuch is to the left of Alito on Fourth Amendment and vagueness criminal statutes. Gorsuch also would reach "liberal" decisions in protecting non-Christian practices by prisoners (liberal in scare quotes because I don't know how this falls on the left/right divide, but it's something Alito would not be in favor of because prisoners are bad guys).

Gorsuch is not to the right of Alito. Gorsuch would probably vote alongside Alito in a lot of cases. Gorsuch would also break from Alito to vote in favor of liberal results in some cases. I haven't read anywhere of an area of law that Gorsuch would break from Alito to cast a more conservative vote.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Green Crayons posted:

That certainly is a wrong line graph and is terrible shorthand when we have actual voting records to compare rather than "who nominated the guy."

Using actual votes in previous cases, Gorsuch is not to the right of Alito (nor is Gorsuch a liberal; he's basically a Scalia clone, and Scalia was better than Alito).

Pick any position, and Alito is conservative on it. Not principled, small-r republican conservative; as in, what partisan conservatives would want. This is known.

Just off the top of my head, based on what limited information we have about his voting history, Gorsuch is to the left of Alito on Fourth Amendment and vagueness criminal statutes. Gorsuch also would reach "liberal" decisions in protecting non-Christian practices by prisoners (liberal in scare quotes because I don't know how this falls on the left/right divide, but it's something Alito would not be in favor of because prisoners are bad guys).

Gorsuch is not to the right of Alito. Gorsuch would probably vote alongside Alito in a lot of cases. Gorsuch would also break from Alito to vote in favor of liberal results in some cases. I haven't read anywhere of an area of law that Gorsuch would break from Alito to cast a more conservative vote.

He's way out of the mainstream of where public opinion is on basically every issue. (Not to say Alito isn't too)

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
How are you distinguishing "out of the mainstream" with "overall conservative"?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Green Crayons posted:

How are you distinguishing "out of the mainstream" with "overall conservative"?

He's far to the right of even your median republican voter.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
I haven't read anything backing up that accusation. He's just conservative.

Is there anything in particular you're thinking of?

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Green Crayons posted:

Eliminating Chevron deference during a republican administration?

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
Doesn't that suggest both things: eliminating deference (executive-with-smaller-power conservative position) during a crazy Republican's tenure (liberal-favoring results)? (I'm not sure which one you're pointing to.)

By way of comparison, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Alito suddenly thinks agencies should have all the deference in the world.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

An anti-Chevron ruling during Trump would be yuuuuuge for the Dems if they don't completely gently caress up 2018 (they will).

esquilax posted:

Eliminating Chevron deference during a republican administration?

Gorsuch's ruling on the topic was to prevent an immigrant who had overstayed their visa, hadn't committed any crimes, and was about to naturalize through an exception explicitly laid out in the law from being screwed over by the AG, yes. Your team doesn't have a lock on separation of powers. http://reason.com/blog/2017/02/01/gorsuch-defends-illegal-immigrants-right

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Gorsuch would be more likely to eliminate deference, which is the more conservative legal position (even if it does lead to liberal results in the short term)

From what I've read, Alito was very pro deference during the Bush administration.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Dead Reckoning posted:

You're the one that argued that we need to totally abandon the idea of appointing experienced, moderate jurists and treat Supreme Court vacancies like snap elections for a nine member Senate with lifetime terms, so I honestly have no idea what your point is.

Nah, I argued opposite: that Ginsberg or Breyer are experienced jurists, and there's nothing wrong with a president appointing someone with a similar judicial philosophy to one of them, even if you personally don't like some of their rulings. But nuance is lost on the deliberately obtuse.

Anyway my point here is: given the Republican candidates were promising to overturn specific rulings by hook or by crook (Roe, Obergefell), it's unlikely that the people voting for Trump because of the Supreme Court were concerned with appointing experienced, moderate jurists with a respect for stare decisis and deference to mainstream American opinion.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Nitrousoxide posted:

Hearing scheduled for tomorrow morning.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/virginia-trump-contempt_us_5892bb6ae4b070cf8b80b621

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
So what kind of a stick does a district court have to beat the president with over contempt?

Like I get that they can order agencies to stop doing something, but it's not like they can have him arrested.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Javid posted:

So what kind of a stick does a district court have to beat the president with over contempt?

Like I get that they can order agencies to stop doing something, but it's not like they can have him arrested.

It eventually gets to the supreme court and if he still refuses its up to congress to impeach.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

It eventually gets to the supreme court and if he still refuses its up to congress to impeach.

It would be pretty funny if the court orders the US's assets frozen until it complies.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

Frankly I don't think assets would be the only thing getting put on ice if it went that far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Javid posted:

Can the judge sanction individual members of the CBP? Something like "any named on duty individual impeding the marshalls from enforcing this order will pay a fine"

I think judges can levy fines against police and US attorneys in similar contempt circumstances if they're being particularly uncooperative.