Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

the new RNG is amazing all the way through

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zO-yhb4Tnos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Autoaim yourself

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Barry posted:

Thanks, this all makes perfect sense. I think I get a bit too enamored with trusting those heatmaps and I see a massive splotch of yellow down there, so it must be good right?

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

lol

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Thankfully, that is one I know to completely ignore. As well as East on Abbey.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Barry posted:

I feel like you probably need at least a tank or two to keep them honest and prevent yourselves from getting surrounded but that's about it.

That's the thing about this game that's both good and bad - there are so many different maps, so many different tank types and sub-types and team compositions that it's all but impossible to individually formulate a good strategy.

If you're worried about them rushing the south/east, going south/east is suicide. They're just run you the gently caress over! Instead, just sit in D7/G4 uphill and hammer anything trying to get to the buildings on your cap. You get 300-500 meters of space to hit them, and they get a far smaller target than you do if they want to fire back. Congratulations, you've whittled their CAPFASTers down, gotten the cowards to try to snipe you (but you have a hump blocking their shots on you) and outright killed anyone who was low HP, now you can suicide resets down the 1/A line to get resets if needed and hide behind the buildings once you succeed. It's just horrible play to throw your tank away to delay the enemy if your team isn't actively capping or something - if you can throw a bunch of HP away to delay the enemy and then run, good go for it, 1 is not 0, but dying is bad unless you're able to cause your team to start a snowball win. Losing a gun from the fight is far more likely to doom your team than being slightly out of position.

The key with learning in this game is that you're going to be bad. That's fine. After ten thousand battles, if you're still bad, it becomes your fault. You will improve as long as you're looking at a game and saying, "well we won the east on Pilsen really easily but then they had literally two loving tanks sitting in G4 and J3 hulldown and those two tanks killed literally all of our tanks somehow, I wonder if going east is just bad" then recognizing that yeah maybe this map is just poo poo and going to the poo poo part of the map is what doomed our team. Eventually you'll learn which parts of the map just don't contribute anything because they end in a chokepoint or get pummeled by arti or commit you too soon with no real options if things go to poo poo.

e: Actually, that Lakeville valley pic reminds me. What's the worse place to be in the valley? Cresting over that hill. What's the second worst place? Being below the hill looking up, waiting for arti to dunk you. What's the second best place to be? Back in J2, ready to pop any overeager fucker peeking and then backing off so you don't eat an arti shot. What's the best place to be? Back in H4/C4, letting the enemy overextend themselves and allowing the enemy team to lose because they think CAPFAST is an instant win, instead of a 40 second bath in enemy fire. If the enemy thinks that CAPFAST is so important that they're willing to walk into your team's guns to get it started, let them and punish them. Don't just run in front of them and try to slow them down, let them hurry up and walk into your fire and die so you can get on with the game.

Hellsau fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Feb 1, 2017

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

What do you guys do if you're a bad player (me) in Sacred Valley in a medium like an AMX 30? All of the big boys go North and slug it out and all of the TDs seem to set up shop in the south.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I thought the E5 was supposed to be on sale today, I got my wallet out and everything.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

ROFLburger posted:

What do you guys do if you're a bad player (me) in Sacred Valley in a medium like an AMX 30? All of the big boys go North and slug it out and all of the TDs seem to set up shop in the south.

You still fight up there. You kind of gently caress around in the north middle punishing any heavies who get cheeky ideas about flanking. You also punish them with side shots if they push up towards your guys and aren't covering the Y junction. Finally, you circle around them as soon as you can be reasonably assured their isn't a super high alpha TD to ruin your day. Always be ready to run at any point if a heavy starts to get any ideas about shooting you.

You also go pick on lights who get cheeky in the middle or pick on idiots down south spotted by your idiots down south if nothing else is going on without really exposing yourself to shots from them.

Congratulations. You have contributed more than 90% of the pubbies who will ever go down south.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

BadLlama posted:

I thought the E5 was supposed to be on sale today, I got my wallet out and everything.

February 3rd apparently.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Hellsau posted:

Literally never go east or south on Westfield. If you want to play the south part of city, fine, go for it. E0 and the corresponding camping spots for the south spawn are totally useless garbage which you should avoid at all costs. If your team loses the northwestern plateau, you are totally stuck if you were camping the east/south - you can't realistically expect to shoot anything without getting spotted, and if you get lit five tanks are going to shoot you from across the way without getting spotted. You also have no realistic expectation of protecting your artillery unless it's extremely fast like an M53 or Bat arti and can manage to run to K0 in time. Anywhere else it's either going to be badly separated into a place you can't help it, or it'll be spotted immediately when it fires.

If you've got good gun depression there are a lot of places to sneak a shot into the enemy on the northern hills. If you can brawl there's a couple brawl lanes in the north or you can just go into the city and work your way through what they have there and then one-by-one through the enemy TD campers then around the rest of the enemy. If you are thin with bad gun depression you can just skirt around the city looking for distracted tanks, or try to outspot the enemy campers and take them down, or you can shoot across and try to keep your dipshits in the east/south alive.

Going east or south simply dooms you to inaction if your team doesn't win the northwest, and if they win the northwest then what the gently caress did you accomplish on the other side? The map is such that if your team wins the east/south and the other team wins the northwest, you cannot cap because the enemy can just drive to the edge and shoot down into you, and trying to hide behind those buildings works fine to delay the enemy five seconds but then they just rotate around the edge and shoot you from a better angle, and if the enemy artillery isn't poo poo they'll have climbed up the 1 line/A line as their team won the uphill area to get better shots and to protect themselves, and if there is an artillery capping is suicide.

Also, the map's name is Westfield. That's a hint - go to the "west field".

Not always. If you're in a medium/light and get someone stealthy to spot from the town down slope you can dominate the east, get to arty and force west tanks to turn around. Your "if the enemy artillery isn't poo poo" is rather hilarious, they always get caught out camping their base when this succeeds.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
The past couple days have renewed my love of the 263, such a dumb and fun TD.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Cardiac posted:

Also Mcgavin, I am still not banned using your autoaim.

I guess we will find out once the next ban wave hits...

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

I just glitch-ramkilled an O-I in my T-34-85.

He nudged me just enough to track me and deal some damage, but the second I was stationary, he started taking damage like I was a wreck on top of him or something. Really weird.

Fun, but weird.

Also, the T-34-85 owns now that I've got a 100% crew and equipment on it. I fat-fingered two crew skills through, so now I have two crew members training camo, and three training repairs. :downs:

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

SocketWrench posted:

Good info, I guess. I've followed this a few times before only to watch guys run full speed around a corner the other team is known to reach by the time you're there and after they get hit the team splinters to find some way around the other's rear end and just get plowed by artillery.

I got to the KV-2 tonight and derped that bitch, and holy gently caress is it fun blasting people...no one wants to support though so soon enough I'm in a no escape spot. The only one I survived was teaming up with a KTiger and steam rolling the place together

Yeah, you can't win every battle, and you can't control your pubbies, but you can use them to your advantage.

Also, you should platoon with goons if you want to have a better time.

Descar posted:

What light tanks should i harvest more xp on to get all the new light tanks right away? what tiers are they gonna be?

You should keep checking the rumor sites (e.g. Status Report) but I think the plan is for the tiers 7 & 8 to move up. You may want to bank XP on your tier 8 LTs although I think the tier 9 Chinese LT is going to be a "new" vehicle entirely.

Barry posted:

Speaking of lemming trains and all that, I was watching a few videos on the T-34/100 in an effort to not be so bad in that terrible loving machine. One in particular was the SirFoch review in which he plays on Westfield. In this particular instance he says the K line is a low impact play:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CdkM9WkMw0&t=420s

Does it generally make more sense to try and support the main brawl area in a medium (like he does at the start of the video), rather than peek from those ridge areas at K5/E0? Even if I do play from those areas and manage to take out the opposing lights/meds, it always feels like the battle is largely won in the heavy brawl area.

I know Hellsau mostly covered this. I just want to clarify that the reason the SE area is useless on Westfield is because it's isolated from the rest of the map so you can neither support the main brawl in the NW nor can the rest of your team support you in the far SE corner. Also, I often take a mobile tank to the center there like he did, because you can either: maneuver to support the NW corner, snipe the tards in the SE, or engage whoever comes to the buildings, so it's a flexible position. It does depend on the specific vehicle and the lineup though. The T-34/100 is kind of mediocre, with decent mobility and gun stats hampered by poor gun handling. It's not as bad as the T-34-1 or A-44, but in general I played the T-34/100 either as a close-range harasser or as a medium-range sniper, since it can't sit there and try to trade shots with anything.

Barry posted:

Thanks, this all makes perfect sense. I think I get a bit too enamored with trusting those heatmaps and I see a massive splotch of yellow down there, so it must be good right? It kind of feels like you're doing well there too - get some shots on distracted enemies to send them crawling into cover, maybe pick up a kill or two, but it just never feels like you're really swaying the battle because of all the reasons you posted. I feel like you probably need at least a tank or two to keep them honest and prevent yourselves from getting surrounded but that's about it.

The heatmaps show where pubbies go, not where you need to go to win games.

Hellsau posted:

e: Actually, that Lakeville valley pic reminds me. What's the worst place to be is in the valley.

FTFY :colbert:

ROFLburger posted:

Well the first thing you do is wait out your 30-day ban. :rolleyes:

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I love those big stupid Japanese heavies when I'm playing my arty.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Also, the T-34-85 owns now that I've got a 100% crew and equipment on it. I fat-fingered two crew skills through, so now I have two crew members training camo, and three training repairs. :downs:

There is nothing wrong with this. Camo and repairs are the crew skills that actually make sense, so if you train those through, you'll end up at 100% on first skill with basically 40% camo and 60% repairs, then you train both skills really fast and will end up at like 70% camo and 80% repairs soon enough.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

Hellsau posted:

There is nothing wrong with this. Camo and repairs are the crew skills that actually make sense, so if you train those through, you'll end up at 100% on first skill with basically 40% camo and 60% repairs, then you train both skills really fast and will end up at like 70% camo and 80% repairs soon enough.

I will add camo is very good on Russian mediums. They can rival some lights with their camo.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Atomizer posted:

I know Hellsau mostly covered this. I just want to clarify that the reason the SE area is useless on Westfield is because it's isolated from the rest of the map so you can neither support the main brawl in the NW nor can the rest of your team support you in the far SE corner. Also, I often take a mobile tank to the center there like he did, because you can either: maneuver to support the NW corner, snipe the tards in the SE, or engage whoever comes to the buildings, so it's a flexible position. It does depend on the specific vehicle and the lineup though. The T-34/100 is kind of mediocre, with decent mobility and gun stats hampered by poor gun handling. It's not as bad as the T-34-1 or A-44, but in general I played the T-34/100 either as a close-range harasser or as a medium-range sniper, since it can't sit there and try to trade shots with anything.

Again, no.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

interesting, a VK72 with a long 12,8 gun. is this gonna be what they slot in as the T10 in the Ausf B line? it'd make sense to do a gun swap in order to differentiate it more from the E-100

https://thearmoredpatrol.com/2017/02/02/supertest-pz-kpfw-vii/

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Prav posted:

interesting, a VK72 with a long 12,8 gun. is this gonna be what they slot in as the T10 in the Ausf B line? it'd make sense to do a gun swap in order to differentiate it more from the E-100

https://thearmoredpatrol.com/2017/02/02/supertest-pz-kpfw-vii/

Soooo...the Jagdtiger's 12.8 with a 4 second longer reload and worse handling...on a tier 10?

That seems a bit weird.

Or hang on, is that the same gun the maus currently has?

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

it's some new in-between. higher damage than the 12,8 L/55, but just a little extra pen - significantly less than the L/66's ridiculous 276/352

and yeah the ROF is pretty low, only 2100 DPM.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Oh, neat:

quote:

Gepard_PH WoT PC Product Coordinator:

Good news for you is that once you research Maus before update, VK 100.01 P and Mauschen will be unlocked for you as well. Bad news is you need to hurry up.

I re-bought the VK45 B already, but hadn't yet ground much XP on it, so this saves me some bother and it's pretty good for many HT missions.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Darkrenown posted:

Oh, neat:

I re-bought the VK45 B already, but hadn't yet ground much XP on it, so this saves me some bother and it's pretty good for many HT missions.

Cool, a new t10 for my set without any efforts made.

Edit: though, I suppose the effort will be the fact that the crew will be poorly trained.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

Prav posted:

it's some new in-between. higher damage than the 12,8 L/55, but just a little extra pen - significantly less than the L/66's ridiculous 276/352

and yeah the ROF is pretty low, only 2100 DPM.

It is a Maus gun with less pen, worse soft stats, but more damage. Sounds likely mostly trash to me.

Darkrenown posted:

Oh, neat:

The 4502 B is a fantastic tank now that it is buffed. It still is slow and subject to Arty, but at least I no longer get penned in the side while side scraping by Russian 122s.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

HFX posted:

It is a Maus gun with less pen, worse soft stats, but more damage. Sounds likely mostly trash to me.

it's got more pen dude, 258/330 AP/APCR

and the maus has the lowest turret bloom in the entire game

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

Prav posted:

it's got more pen dude, 258/330 AP/APCR

and the maus has the lowest turret bloom in the entire game

I misread the pen. However, the link supplied above shows the average at 249. Not a huge jump from 246. The APCR is quite a bit better though.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

HFX posted:

I misread the pen. However, the link supplied above shows the average at 249. Not a huge jump from 246. The APCR is quite a bit better though.

you're still misreading it, that's distance falloff, not the +-25% variance.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

Prav posted:

you're still misreading it, that's distance falloff, not the +-25% variance.

Well then, I take back my previous statement as the pen was always the only major issue I had with the Maus gun.

I guess I'll have to try out this new tank when I finally stop hemorrhaging credits from driving light tanks.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Hey, T-44-100 is in the shop. Someone give me reasons to buy it even though I already got my debit card out and entering my info and everything.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

swedish t8 prem is gonna be the strv 81

god drat it. gently caress

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Maybe they're working of a full medium line for the Swedes?

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

PTR is out: http://worldoftanks.com/en/news/general-news/9171-publictest/

the T10 is indeed that Pz VII

quote:

IMPORTANT: Following recent feedback about adding a new tier X heavy to the German Tech Tree, similar to the VK 72.01 (K), we decided to keep this Global Map trophy as a unique reward to Clan players. Instead, the Tech Tree will receive a completely new vehicle: the Pz.Kpfw VII. Unlike the VK 72.01 (K), it will mount a 12.8cm Kw. K. 46 L/61 gun, which provides a quite different play style.

e: 10 minute PR reel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7I8ZND86WI

Prav fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Feb 2, 2017

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
That's a pretty major mod change, hopefully the modpacks don't take too long to adapt

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Those changes are live on common test right now?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Those changes are live on common test right now?

That's what the video said. :shrug:

There are now three Mauses. LMAO

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Wasn't the Mauschen derided as a complete failute that could never fight against tier 10s and barely could fight other tier 9s but absolutely slaughtered lower tier tanks, so they abandoned it because it was unworkable? What happened with that?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Hellsau posted:

Wasn't the Mauschen derided as a complete failute that could never fight against tier 10s and barely could fight other tier 9s but absolutely slaughtered lower tier tanks, so they abandoned it because it was unworkable? What happened with that?

They saw an opportunity to make more money on free xp transfers

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Hellsau posted:

they've given it an insane amount of buffs.

or rather, it's not intentionally crippled any longer. i swear, someone intentionally sabotaged the last version.

some changes:
track bloom reduced from the completely insane 0,4 to 0,2. literally cut in half
turret bloom cut from 0,28 to 0,10 (holy poo poo)
dispersion improved from 0,44 to 0,38
aim time cut from 3,3 to 2,3
reload time improved from 17,5 to 15 (1680 -> 1960 DPM)
HP increased from 2000 to 2300
View range increased from 370 to 400
and an extra degree of gun dep for good measure, bringing it up to 8°

seriously it was so bad

Prav fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Feb 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

PTR match creation seems to be having some issues