Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Snagged it. Let's see how it goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

It is the game that made me truly see the light of Ben Diskin

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Terper posted:

It is the game that made me truly see the light of Ben Diskin

good

Metallia
Sep 17, 2014

Cloche posted:

This please. I don't even like P3 that much compared to 4 but just being able to play a female protagonist elevated it a ton for me. P5 dude seems cool and all but c'mon Atlus.

the persona 5 protagonist seems hand-designed to appeal to insane fujoshi like me at least so i'll begrudgingly accept it

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Did the weird PCSX2 shadow glitch in the Nocturne engine games ever get fixed? I really want to play DDS again after it came up in here but apparently the PS3 version is lovely and I'm not exactly chomping at the bit to hook my PS2 back up at this point.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I'm playing the PS3 version and it seems fine as far as I can tell. I just got done with Destinyland.

There's a plot here I think but someone told me it's all in the second game. Flashbacks of Xenosaga Episode 1 but that was a bit better about it actually.

Still, it's fun. I gotta say I prefer Nocturne still but it's nice actually having all my skills and just rearranging them instead of losing them forever.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Official Persona 5 Valentines

Atlus...DOES know the game isn't releasing on February 14th anymore, right?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Luna Was Here posted:

they probably already had this set up

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
ZOMG...?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I never believed it could happen to me! T-this is so sudden...

Metallia
Sep 17, 2014

zomg

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

However at the same time I still can't date guys so I'd still wish for a FeMC eventually.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

Metallia posted:

the persona 5 protagonist seems hand-designed to appeal to insane fujoshi like me at least so i'll begrudgingly accept it

they cant even let you date dudes, how can you accept it? I suggest we riot

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Luna Was Here posted:

where's yusuke???

Metallia
Sep 17, 2014

Tired Moritz posted:

they cant even let you date dudes, how can you accept it? I suggest we riot

:hai:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Luna Was Here posted:

I'm glad Joker gets 3, even though it will be impossible for me to date him.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!

Luna Was Here posted:

Atlus chose "Let Us Start the Game" as a catchphrase when it was already a couple years overdue; the marketing department isn't quite all there.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Saw this in another forum

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Haha, owns. Especially because it means Coldstone Creamery is still around. Do you think they just GiS'd matador or someone Knew?

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Most likely just GIS...

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

NikkolasKing posted:

I'm playing the PS3 version and it seems fine as far as I can tell. I just got done with Destinyland.

Cool, maybe I'll look into the PS3 one then. I had heard a fair number of reports about slowdown and bad audio sync. Slowdown I can put up with but audio sync issues can get old pretty quick.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

RichterIX posted:

Cool, maybe I'll look into the PS3 one then. I had heard a fair number of reports about slowdown and bad audio sync. Slowdown I can put up with but audio sync issues can get old pretty quicAk.

Hm...I think I might have seen some of this audio sync problems. I'm not sure since nothing comes to mind right now because cutscenes are so few and far between huge stretches of gameplay.

Speaking of audio though, back when I first delved into the SMT series with Strange Journey, I asked about favorite SMT soundtrack. I have to say, about 4 games later, SJ really stands out. In spite of my initial complaints, if I had to list my favorite songs in the series so far, SJ's boss theme would be near the top of my list. But what I meant by it "standing out" is how the orchestral style is actually rare here. Over in Final Fantasy, that's the norm and rock songs are the outliers. But, judging by Nocturne and now DDS, Meguro loves his guitar. Which is cool because DDS' normal battle theme is great so I can listen to that opening riff forever.

Rock and electronic seems the average style here but very different from, say, Motoi Sakuaraba's style of rock and electronic. (and I know he has his haters but I don't mean that in a "Meguro is good, Sakuaraba isn't" way. Anyone who listens to Baten Kaitos' OST knows Sakuraba is good)

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
DDS2's battle theme was really good, when I first played it that track really stuck out to me.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Motoi Sakuraba is good, he's just incredibly typecast. He shits out overbearing billion-piece orchestral tracks that sound exactly the same.

But make him work on something other than Tales and Star Ocean, and the dude's phenomenal. See: the Dark Souls series.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

https://twitter.com/JohnLHardin/status/826877578635993089

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Coughing Hobo posted:

Motoi Sakuraba is good, he's just incredibly typecast. He shits out overbearing billion-piece orchestral tracks that sound exactly the same.

See: the Dark Souls series.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
I only really know Motoi Sakuraba from Valkyrie Profile so I associate him with really wanting to make prog rock.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Item Getter posted:

I only really know Motoi Sakuraba from Valkyrie Profile so I associate him with really wanting to make prog rock.

He does love him some prog rock.

But again, Baten Kaitos is easily one of the best JRPG soundtracks I've ever heard. Fun game too, everyone should go play it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_B64f48ewdo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XARPxxfAeUc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lB0b0fHbAY

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Neeksy posted:

DDS2's battle theme was really good, when I first played it that track really stuck out to me.

DDS had some fantastic tracks, but yeah, that battle theme is one of the best JRPG combat songs I've ever heard.

I have a real soft spot for the DDS games.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I only like Sakuraba in Mario Tennis, the couple songs he contributed to Brawl and Kid Icarus: Uprising, and the Fury Sparks track in Tales of Vesperia

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
His stuff in Resonance of Fate is by far my favorite.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

NikkolasKing posted:

Hm...I think I might have seen some of this audio sync problems. I'm not sure since nothing comes to mind right now because cutscenes are so few and far between huge stretches of gameplay.

Speaking of audio though, back when I first delved into the SMT series with Strange Journey, I asked about favorite SMT soundtrack. I have to say, about 4 games later, SJ really stands out. In spite of my initial complaints, if I had to list my favorite songs in the series so far, SJ's boss theme would be near the top of my list. But what I meant by it "standing out" is how the orchestral style is actually rare here. Over in Final Fantasy, that's the norm and rock songs are the outliers. But, judging by Nocturne and now DDS, Meguro loves his guitar. Which is cool because DDS' normal battle theme is great so I can listen to that opening riff forever.

Rock and electronic seems the average style here but very different from, say, Motoi Sakuaraba's style of rock and electronic. (and I know he has his haters but I don't mean that in a "Meguro is good, Sakuaraba isn't" way. Anyone who listens to Baten Kaitos' OST knows Sakuraba is good)

You should check out the Catherine soundtrack. It's really good and also has a lot of differences from some of Meguro's usual stuff.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Tortolia posted:

DDS had some fantastic tracks, but yeah, that battle theme is one of the best JRPG combat songs I've ever heard.

I have a real soft spot for the DDS games.

I remember in university paying way, way too much money to get the DDS Integral soundtrack imported. I wasn't exactly rich and it hosed up my budget for like two months so I'd have to skip meals and such. Still totally worth it.

I like individual songs from DDS2 more but I sort of prefer DDS1's soundtrack as a whole. I have to appreciate how Meguro used a rock guitar for nearly 100% of a game's soundtrack but still managed to make most of the pieces varied and fresh.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I feel exactly the same regarding both soundtracks. I really didn't like 2 that much aside from a few really good ones like the battle theme.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

The main battle, final dungeon and final boss themes of DDS2 are top tier Meguro.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So how much of DDS1 is left? I just beat Beck and we gotta go find Sera and Nirvana. The big mystery surrounding the game is finally out in the open and we've accomplished the only overarching objective we've had all game.

It feels near endgame-ish, like there are only a couple more dungeons to go. Is that right or wrong?

It's a short game if it's almost over.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Both DDS games are reasonably short, though there are optional bosses to deal with. DDS1 has maybe the hardest ever SMT optional boss to beat (though the actual identity of that boss is amazing). DDS2's hardest optional boss is only available on Hard difficulty but is much more manageable.

Definitely do the side boss fights, they're great. Just don't feel obligated to actually beat the DDS1 uberboss.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

NikkolasKing posted:

So how much of DDS1 is left?

It's a short game if it's almost over.

Reminder that DDS1 is only half of a game, in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Tortolia posted:

Both DDS games are reasonably short, though there are optional bosses to deal with. DDS1 has maybe the hardest ever SMT optional boss to beat (though the actual identity of that boss is amazing). DDS2's hardest optional boss is only available on Hard difficulty but is much more manageable.

Definitely do the side boss fights, they're great. Just don't feel obligated to actually beat the DDS1 uberboss.

It's the Demi-fiend. I heard about that years before I knew who the Demi-fiend even was. It is a pretty interesting thing to do. If a post from earlier is anything to go by, he's a physical powerhouse. (the poster was commenting on how I made my Demi-fiend a mage)

I would assume the bosses are beyond those red walls? I might try to tackle them. I'm not a huge fan of DDS' combat system. They are throwing plenty of Macca at me now but even still, to get all the not-Sphere Grid filled out would take a lot of time. I would assume I at least need the uber-tier Mantras like Goddess (has the full party heal) and others. Gonna needs millions.

I think Nocturne is still my favorite game of the series in terms of gameplay. I was thinking it didn't really have optional bosses but, well, the Fiends and Beelzebub and Metatron are all optional in a way. It's just they aren't optional for one ending. DDS' optional fights I assume don't get you more story or a new ending.

(Also what exactly is the name for the combat system here? I remember back when I started the series someone elsewhere said they vastly preferred Persona 3's system to Nocturne's and they had names for both of them)

Dragonatrix posted:

Reminder that DDS1 is only half of a game, in the first place.

So was Xenosaga Episode 1. I figured they had to split the DDS games up because there was too much content, just like Xenosaga. But, well, you could easily fit another game into this one from what I've seen.

Maybe they had a lovely budget or deadlines.