Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i am glad, the bulls will get literally nothing for trading my favorite NBA player Luol Deng and beginning the dark road to become this insane, parody basketball franchise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Luckily for the Bulls, the first round pick converts to a second round pick as is only protected 56-60

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I sit around and watch a lot of basketball with my dad and we get in dumb conversations. We were watching DJ Augustin light the Raptors up in Orlando and flipping to a Miami game and watching James Johnson doing a bunch of cool poo poo. He was like "Weren't those guys on our team a while back? I don't remember them being that good". Lou Williams is lighting it up in LA too. Is it just a coincidence that bench players leave the Raptors and end up looking better? Yeah I'm cherrypicking people here, but to me it seems like Casey doesn't know how to elevate the play of bit players and doesn't have a single loving plan when pounding the ball to your superstars stops working. To me, one of the hallmarks of a good coach is someone who can elevate the play of everyone on the team, not just the superstars, and I don't see that in Casey at all.

Yes, I know that Lowry + the bench is one of the best offensive units, but it still tends to be that Lowry's the only offensive weapon out there, and I think he's quarterbacking the offense anyways. Casey can hold together the teams defense on their good days, but the offense doesn't extend past a couple of lame pick and rolls and feeding Lowry or Derozan. It's pretty goddamn clear that Casey got his start as a defensive coordinator because he sure as poo poo just kinda lets the offense happen.

Right now the team is basically a shittier, less dynamic version of the Scott Brooks era Thunder a few years ago minus the MVP candidates. The team's structure and style make it particularly well suited to doing pretty good in the regular season and then getting exposed in the playoffs, and I'm just wondering how many more loving times I'm going to have to watch Derozan and Lowry shoot under 40% in the playoffs before management notices. Let me repeat that. Over the last 3 years, both players have averaged 39% shooting in the postseason. Why is that? Is that because they magically turn into pumpkins? Well, they both did have had their moments of inexplicable shooting slumps. But I would say it's mostly because the easy shots they have during the regular season aren't there anymore. That's true for everyone in the playoffs, but I suspect they're both under the average FG% loss by a decent margin. Why? Because in a series, coaches can gameplan against them, nullify their usual methods of scoring, and then Casey doesn't know how to generate a loving open shot other than handing the ball to one of them and asking them to make magic happen.

CRISPYBABY fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Feb 2, 2017

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Lessail posted:

Masai is the Casey of GMs

You know, I'm still in on Masai. He's made good moves, he rebuilt the team well. But his Casey infatuation is getting real fuckin' weird.

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy
Payne and singler for rondo who says no

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

cravius posted:

Payne and singler for rondo who says no

me i do DO NOT loving EVEN TRY TO PUT RONDO ON THE TEAM I ROOT FOR

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Metapod posted:

Rondo on the Thunder would be last like 3 weeks before releasing a bunch of pro-AKP instagrams

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Things Masai has done since getting into office:
-Traded Andrea Bargs for a 1st rounder
-Traded Rudy Gay for Patrick Patterson and John Salmons
-Flipped John Salmons for Lucas Nogueira and Lou Williams
-Flipped Greivis Vasquez for a 1st rounder and Norman Powell
-Got Kyle Lowry for 4 years/48 million dollar deal
-Got Patrick Patterson for 3 year/18 million dollar deal
-Got Cory Joseph for 4 years/30 million

Major fuckup of a gm, bring back Colengelo

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
God I love Ros Gold-Onwude.

I would kill all of you for one kiss from her.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

attackmole posted:

I sit around and watch a lot of basketball with my dad and we get in dumb conversations. We were watching DJ Augustin light the Raptors up in Orlando and flipping to a Miami game and watching James Johnson doing a bunch of cool poo poo. He was like "Weren't those guys on our team a while back? I don't remember them being that good". Lou Williams is lighting it up in LA too. Is it just a coincidence that bench players leave the Raptors and end up looking better?

I think your memory is playing tricks on you. Those players were all just as good with the raptors (maybe not DJ). But their flaws don't show up as much on the lovely teams they play for now.

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

Dejan saying he can't walk in jeans and the ensuing mockery and disbelief have brought me great joy.

That Westbrook article owns.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Lou Williams works for the Lakers because they don't have any choice but to put up with his bad defense and bad attitude for his scoring. The Raptors actually expects him to play some D so that wasn't gonna work.

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

Metapod posted:

We need a playmaker on the second unit and Payne is never gonna be an NBA player

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Wait what happened to Payne I thought he was supposed to be good

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Tae posted:

Interesting you leave out the Demar, Casey, and Demarre signings. The Cory Joseph signing is looking like utter poo poo. The Bargs 1st rounder is Poeltl and wasn't used in a trade. He drafted Bruno.

And he sat around and watched his team slip from second in the east to wherever the Raptors will end up

Lessail fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Feb 2, 2017

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Demar was getting a max no matter where he went, it was just a question of if Toronto was willing to offer him one. Cory Joseph is good but limited by his shooting, that contract is fine in the current NBA economy. There's no point evaluating Poetl yet and trying to describe the Barg trade as anything but a loving swindling isn't doing justice to how good that trade was relative to Bargs market value. Bruno was a gently caress up, but sometimes you swing big and you miss. I think if you compared Masai's resume to 90% of the GM's in the league he's looking just fine.

Carroll looks bad, but I have a theory he'd look alright on a team with a real offense. That team is not Toronto.

dokmo posted:

I think your memory is playing tricks on you. Those players were all just as good with the raptors (maybe not DJ). But their flaws don't show up as much on the lovely teams they play for now.

Yeah DJ was loving awful with the Raptors. It's true that the flaws don't show up on poo poo teams so I"m a little skewed, but there's also things like right now James Johnson is a playmaking beast whereas in Toronto he jacked up dumb shots constantly and rode the bench. Yes, I'm biased, but my theory is that Casey is an enabler of players with bad habits and goddamnit I'm sticking to it because I hate bad shots and I like hot takes. The Raptors are a pretty good basketball team that was created in a lab to annoy basketball nerds like me.

tl:dr gently caress casey praise masai, i just wish they weren't bros

CRISPYBABY fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Feb 2, 2017

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Lessail posted:

Interesting you leave out the Demar, Casey, and Demarre signings. The Cory Joseph signing is looking like utter poo poo. The Bargs 1st rounder is Poeltl and wasn't used in a trade. He drafted Bruno.

And he sat around and watched his team slip from second in the east to wherever the Raptors will end up

Making huge reactionary trades is a really bad idea.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

attackmole posted:

The Raptors are a pretty good basketball team that was created in a lab to annoy basketball nerds like me.

Too bad the teams they love to jack off to are the actual good ones

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
Lou Will put up great offensive numbers in Toronto. He just plays no defense and was too ball dominant so he got shipped out. James Johnson was great too, but the moment he fucks up once, he gets benched and you'll never see him again. Casey just loving hated him so much. The guy was great for the team and was great with the younger guys, working out with Bruno and whatnot. Funny how Carroll fucks up on every single possession and yet isn't held accountable by Casey and is still given major minutes. But I'll probably put that one on Masai.

Casey should've been fired years ago. I'll always hold it against Masai for pussying out and not firing him after the Wizards sweep. The Raptors haven't played defense since Andy Greer left. Casey is known as a defensive coach but is clearly loving awful at it. Shouting 'hands' on the sideline all loving game can only get you so far. Relying on a poo poo defensive scheme that you used to run with Amir Johnson's glass-ankled corpse can only get you so far.

Offensively, Casey has nothing but lovely plays that players give up on early. The rest are DeMar and Lowry hero ball and lame pick and rolls. It's not like it matters though since this team can't hit open shots. It's not like he dictates the offense anyway since he'll just get baited by opposing coaches to play stupid lineups since the Raps are supposedly a defense first team. The Raps probably leads the league in turnovers after timeouts too.

With that said, as bad as Casey is, this team's roster needs work. Maybe someday they'll get players that can actually hit open shots and grab uncontested rebounds. I highly doubt this team can stumble their way though the playoff rounds again like last year.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

Making huge reactionary trades is a really bad idea.

Sticking with the status quo isn't doing the Raptors much good anymore

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Lessail posted:

The Bargs 1st rounder is Poeltl and wasn't used in a trade.

The Bargnani trade was a loving home run, not sure how you can view it as anything but a great trade.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I hate to bring this up but the Raptors are the 2nd best offensive team in the league and are decently 11th in defense. You're expecting more than an ECF finals berth with a point guard team that is not Stephen Curry or Magic Johnson.

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nine times.

I don't remember Ferris being sick 9 times.

Maybe because he wasn't sick, he was skipping school.

This is all news to me.

Usually is.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

Tae posted:

I hate to bring this up but the Raptors are the 2nd best offensive team in the league and are decently 11th in defense. You're expecting more than an ECF finals berth with a point guard team that is not Stephen Curry or Magic Johnson.

They're not second in the east anymore, they're not making it to the ECF, and will be lucky to make it out of the first round.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Look at some point there is literally no path to make your team good enough to beat Cleveland unless you luck well scout a draft pick that turns into a home run, and even those take some time.

At some point you come to the realization that this is what the NBA is as an NBA fan. If your team doesn't have "that" guy, or collection of "that" guy you are only fighting to put yourself in position to pounce if something goes wrong.

Trust me the Grass isn't greener on the other side. .

Congrats to you and the Celtics for being the 2011-2012 Bulls.

Enjoy your crushing defeat with no other possible options. Hopefully your point guard's knees don't explode.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I know this is a rough place to be as a fan but The Dallas Mavericks happened (and other similar teams in the past) and that's the Raptor's spot and it's going to be that spot unless they decide to blow the whole thing up and who knows if they end up better off in the long run doing that.

Rick fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Feb 2, 2017

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
The NBA is the best league.
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18601708/mark-cuban-owner-dallas-mavericks-questions-hypocrisy-donald-trump-order

"You don't condemn an entire country based on the mistakes of a few," Cuban said. "We're a country of hopes and dreams and the American way. The wider we take that, the safer I believe we'll be. It's not that I don't understand. We're all terrified of terrorism. We're all terrified the next event could be near us or someone close to us. But it's the old sports analogy: Character isn't revealed when things are going well. Character is revealed when you're under stress and being challenged. We'll see what the character of this country is."

After reading that article, I wondered how many NBA owners are pro-Trump and hoping nobody notices. I decided to look up owners on opensecrets.org. Only James Dolan and Richard DeVos(duh) donated to Trump. One semi-odd thing I noticed is Les Alexander uses different addresses for his donations and doesn't stick with one. (They all have Houston Rockets Organization listed at the occupation. Nothing illegal, just odd that he doesn't stick with one address.) Johnny Buss is the only owner that I noticed who donated to Bernie Sanders. Despite being a former Republican Senator, Glen Taylor (TWolves) did not donate to Trump. Tom Benson gave the Bobby Jindal presidential campaign the maximum amount, lol. Peter Holt donated the maximum amount to Rick Perry's presidential, lol. A few donated to Hillary, a few regularly donate to Republicans/past R presidential candidates but not to Trump. A few make contributions to politicians in both parties. Some owners have no listed political donations ever. Weird for billionaires. Despite making many appearances and serving as a surrogate to the Clinton campaign, Mark Cuban does not have any listed donations for her. (I even checked the FEC campaign finance search site on the off chance open secrets was wrong about him.)

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Feb 2, 2017

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/AmicoHoops/status/826821998684811265

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
The NBA is cool and fun and probably the most fun sports league right now.

Thanks that's my sizzling hot take.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
I can't imagine why any sports team owner in the United States wouldn't vote Republican just for tax reasons. I'm way too cynical to think any of them are altruistic.

Casey as described by the Toronto fans here sounds like an anti-Popovich who can't get his role players star contracts with dumb teams or get them to play good enough in limited opportunities to dupe people into handing those deals out.

I also agree with others though and absent a move on either team before the deadline I think I would still take Toronto over Boston in a 7 game series for the ECF berth. They are really close though.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Tae posted:

That's a real good record, wow.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Dexo posted:

Congrats to you and the Celtics for being the 2011-2012 Bulls.

Enjoy your crushing defeat with no other possible options. Hopefully your point guard's knees don't explode.

The Cavs aren't quite as good as you think they are and the Celtics are gonna have the number 1 pick so I don't CARE if they die off! This is heaven! Lebron can, like, get kidnapped or something, you never know. Don't you dare call them the Chicago Bulls or I'll yell so loud

e: Hahah Carlisle you beautiful beast

https://twitter.com/bobbykaralla/status/827010496972914688

Cool Buff Man fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Feb 2, 2017

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

lol

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Marvin Barnes ghost, sitting courtside, saw the drawing and started getting real nervous.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Hahahaha, that's awesome

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

cravius posted:

We need a playmaker on the second unit and Payne is never gonna be an NBA player

What does that have to do with rondo?

WhyteRyce posted:

Wait what happened to Payne I thought he was supposed to be good

Idk because his first game back he looked good it has been downhill since

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

waking up to such excellent anti-Casey effortposts makes me feel like a proud father.

Masai is great but he's not an idiot. He's not going to fire his first coach in Toronto until he has to. And Casey can still get a team to play hard enough to be a high seed in the east given the talent.

He is just a terrible tactician who relies way too heavily on people "being in the right spot" over execution. I think he loves Demarre Carroll because he is always where (casey thinks) he is supposed to be. Yet he doesn't care that even in the right spot he can't properly execute (he gets blown by or bricks the shot). He cares so much about the little things. It's why JV could go 8/9 in the first half but sit the 3rd because he missed one rotation. And it's also why I expect him to play that sack of lard Sullinger big minutes.

Anyway, attackmole already said all the important stuff. It's just annoying to watch this team every night and see their coach costing them points and losing one possession games . Like anyone who thinks playing Poertl, Sullinger and Carroll all at once shouldn't be allowed to coach rec league.

BWV fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Feb 2, 2017

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

dokmo posted:

I missed Covingtonchat, but here he is trying to dribble for two minutes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtCwc5dO-70

I particularly like his attempted eurostep

I knew Dokmo would vindicate me.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Lessail is a manifestation of all the fear and suffering in Raptor's fandom condensed into a shrieking, reactionary poster. Please resist the seduction of despair. Repeat after me: It's just a slump, it's just a slump, it's just a slump,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I think the problem with the raptors is their players arent good enough to win a title.

Could be the coach I guess.

• Locked thread