Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Ramos posted:

Once you've been through the husband nerding out over history a few times, you just got to let that stuff run its course.

The more I watch, the more impressed I am with U4 and Naughty Dog. They really don't miss a trick, not with the facial animations or the writing or the damned pretty, but not distracting, graphics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Aww
They killed Guybrush

He's died before, no big deal.

asymmetrical
Jan 29, 2009

the absence or violation of symmetry

Josuke Higashikata posted:

She looks really bored at the end there too.
Huh, I read this completely differently. To me, it looks like she's watching Drake and not really listening to what he's saying. Just kinda going "I kinda like this guy a lot," all over again in her heart.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012

asymmetrical posted:

Huh, I read this completely differently. To me, it looks like she's watching Drake and not really listening to what he's saying. Just kinda going "I kinda like this guy a lot," all over again in her heart.

Probably also the "I haven't actually seen him this happy/excited in a long time" considering his job was pulling salvage out of water.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

asymmetrical posted:

My fiancee does this to me all the time. When I start going off on one of my tangents about something I'm really interested in, she just gets this smile on her face like "God, I love this loving nerd." It's really cute and I love catching her do it.

Elena and Nate's dynamic in these last two videos actually remind me a lot of how our interactions go after we have some kind of major upset to our relationship.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

asymmetrical posted:

Or reminding herself exactly WHY she loves him the way she does.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
There's also a note of worry that he's losing himself to The Grand Adventure again, no matter what he's said he can still fall back into it so easily in a moment like this.

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

General Ironicus posted:

There's also a note of worry that he's losing himself to The Grand Adventure again, no matter what he's said he can still fall back into it so easily in a moment like this.

Yeah that's how I saw it. The look conveys a lot of concern in seeing what Nate is actually passionate about

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

General Ironicus posted:

I don't know if I see worry, personally. Elena's the one who was pushing him to do the illegal Malaysia job in the first place; she wants him to be doing more adventure things (presumably, it's part of why she fell for him in the first place)--she just wants to be part of it. he's shown pretty much no signs of being like Uncharted 3 Drake, burning all his relationships for personal honour. he's just really passionate about exploring old ruins and treasure and stuff.

Espresso Steampunk
Sep 27, 2008
6 minutes, 11 seconds... the return of Mission J. Frog!

Verklemptomaniac
Apr 23, 2008
So Thomas Tew was second in command to Captain Avery.

I guess that makes him... Number Tew.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

The beginning of the game was about how Nate wasn't sad about his life but it was clearly missing something. I saw it as Elena realizing that this is what Nate needs to really feel satisfied as a person.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Verklemptomaniac posted:

So Thomas Tew was second in command to Captain Avery.

I guess that makes him... Number Tew.

Tew soon.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Had another thought about why it's probably subterranean gold stealing goblins causing all this - if it actually was all a plot by the Founders to lure everyone to an island and steal everything from them, like Nathan suggests, then why have all the deadly traps and challenges?

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
What if the twist is that there is no supernatural element? Just a well executed adventure involving some familial drama with characters we love?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Gorilla Salad posted:

Had another thought about why it's probably subterranean gold stealing goblins causing all this - if it actually was all a plot by the Founders to lure everyone to an island and steal everything from them, like Nathan suggests, then why have all the deadly traps and challenges?

Conspicuous consumption. Gotta look rich to get richer.

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

Outpost22 posted:

What if the twist is that there is no supernatural element? Just a well executed adventure involving some familial drama with characters we love?

This is what I've been wanting to be the case for most of the LP. Just feels like it'd undermine a genuinely interesting character story.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

The only ghosts are the ones from their pasts....

Fwoderwick posted:

This is what I've been wanting to be the case for most of the LP. Just feels like it'd undermine a genuinely interesting character story.

I feel like you're right, but at least that doesn't rule out any preternatural device or something. They have been remarking on the durability and complexity of the buildings and machines throughout the game after all.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

In the credits after scene

"Yarrr, ye think they noticed us Tew"
"I Dont think so matey"
"Im right baffled how they didnt see our little eternally cursed pirate zombie war with the diabolical gold hoarding goblins of the deep earth. Why else thered be working flintlocks everywhere in this time and age"
"Some good came out of it though"
"What would that be"
"They left all their guns"

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Feb 2, 2017

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Rigged Death Trap posted:

"Yarrr, ye think they noticed us Tew"
"I Dont think so matey"
"Im right baffled how they didnt see our little eternally cursed pirate zombie war with the diabolical gold hoarding goblins of the deep earth. Why else thered be working flintlocks everywhere in this time and age"
"Some good came out of it though"
"What would that be"
"They left all their guns"
The next DLC is basically an Alestorm album cover with RPGs

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Gorilla Salad posted:

Probably they thought a free society of murderers, robbers and rapists was a good idea until it actually happened and everyone was a greedy rear end in a top hat wanting to determine the rules of liberty to each other.

Deadly traps and challenges were actually to impress architects and engineers to move in and build all the founders' luxurious and crazy structures.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Outpost22 posted:

Well I'd be disappointed. That's kinda half of the reason that I'm a fan of the Uncharted games to begin with. It's certainly not their climbing sections.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

chinese barbecue porp posted:

Probably they thought a free society of murderers, robbers and rapists was a good idea until it actually happened and everyone was a greedy rear end in a top hat wanting to determine the rules of liberty to each other.

Is that an analogy for Australia or America? :v:

RareAcumen posted:

Well I'd be disappointed. That's kinda half of the reason that I'm a fan of the Uncharted games to begin with. It's certainly not their climbing sections.

Yeah, I'm actually getting kind of hyped for potential goblins. They better deliver.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Hm. Emily Rose (Elena's VA and motion actor) is married and her husbands last name is Morgan.

Wonder if that's why they made that Drake's real last name, as a reference.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Not goblins. Py-rats.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

White Coke posted:

Not goblins. Py-rats.

Is that some kind of multi-platform, whitespace-sensitive, just-in-time interpreted rodent?

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Gym badge day is a VERY dangerous day!
No, it's the group of rat bandits that stole all the loot and then sailed off to the island of Grimrock II.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

Tippis posted:

Is that some kind of multi-platform, whitespace-sensitive, just-in-time interpreted rodent?

Boo this Tippis.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

White Coke posted:

Not goblins. Py-rats.

No, no, no, pie-rates. The greed of Tew and Avery transformed them into sentient pies.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Thanks to Richard Scarry, my youth was filled with tales of pie rats. (Also pickle cars.)

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Boo this Tippis.

I regret nothing! :colbert:

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

Gorilla Salad posted:

Well, keep in mind:
A: that's Elena's read, not necessarily the fact. Clearly at least some of the Founders believed in Libertalia in some form, judging by the letters left for them. The Founders were corrupt, clearly, and they were as casually violent as any pirate would be, but they seem to have been duped by Avery - how much is open to interpretation. Did they start out believing and then turn against the colonists? Did they always intend to rip them off? Did Avery egg them on?

Mind, the treasures of the colonists would be one thing, but the treasures of the other successful pirates is quite another thing. Avery may have been baiting the other captains, not the colonists.

B: She's mostly describing Avery, a man for whom no victory or fortune seems to be enough. After all, the historical Avery was a nasty, nasty piece of work. (The Gunsway/Ganj-i-Sawai was a pilgrimage ship, after all, and from what I understand the pillage of the ship included the rape and murder of its passengers. He may have started out wanting to be the lord of Libertalia and then decided to cut his losses when it wasn't working out - that seems more likely. given the sheer amount of luxury and grandeur in New Devon.

Jetrauben fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Feb 3, 2017

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

1stGear posted:

No, no, no, pie-rates. The greed of Tew and Avery transformed them into sentient pies.

Know your latin, man! Pie is the vocative of pius. Pious rats. The founders were punished for their blasphemy.

And More fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Feb 3, 2017

White Coke
May 29, 2015

And More posted:

Know your latin, man! Pie is the vocative of pius. Pious rats. The founders were punished for their blasphemy.

So Christian Skaven pyrates then. Yarr-yarr, matey-things.

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011
Due to over speculation the baked goods market has crashed. The pie rates are the lowest they've ever been.

Man Dancer
Apr 22, 2008
I chuckled at the "ice cream sticks" part of the "what pirate bridges are made of" sketch, since it was so patently obvious that it said "popsicle sticks" before ND's legal team waved an admonishing finger.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Man Dancer posted:

I chuckled at the "ice cream sticks" part of the "what pirate bridges are made of" sketch, since it was so patently obvious that it said "popsicle sticks" before ND's legal team waved an admonishing finger.
?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Popsicle is a registered trademark, and the company gets awfully steamed when people use it as a generic term.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

That's what they get for being too good at advertising them.

• Locked thread