Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est

OpenlyEvilJello posted:

Italian corvette Procellaria, mined in HMS Welshman's field in the Sicilian Channel.
Italian torpedo boat Generale Marcello Prestinari, mined in the same field while sailing to assist Procellaria.
:italy:

Oh Italy :ughh:

It's a shame (from a military hardware perspective) that the Italian and French fleets didn't get really get to see that much action. Both nations had interesting developments in naval design but get totally glossed over in most histories because the ships either a.) sat in port as a fleet in being or b.) were confiscated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

Grumio posted:

Oh Italy :ughh:

It's a shame (from a military hardware perspective) that the Italian and French fleets didn't get really get to see that much action. Both nations had interesting developments in naval design but get totally glossed over in most histories because the ships either a.) sat in port as a fleet in being or b.) were confiscated.

Or c.) were sunk by their allies to prevent b.)

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Grumio posted:

Both nations had interesting developments in naval design

Like what?

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Triggerhappypilot posted:

How in the hell did the Allies manage to land 40,000 men on New Caledonia without us noticing?

Wtf 40k is kinda a lot guys

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

TildeATH posted:

Like what?

The Italians had higher velocity guns than most navies, providing more penetration at the cost of barrel wear and possibly some salvo dispersion, although that may have been from sloppy tolerances from the shell manufacturers. French had some very high speed Destroyers like the Le Fantasque. And because im weird I also find it interesting that they used a substance called Black Mousse to fill the voids in some of their ships to keep out water. Only problem is that if it became soaked with oil from leaking/damaged tanks, you then had a flammable substance squirreled away in parts of the ship that were difficult or impossible to reach.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

i81icu812 posted:

Wtf 40k is kinda a lot guys

I read this as Warhammer 40k for a moment.

Lakedaimon posted:

The Italians had higher velocity guns than most navies, providing more penetration at the cost of barrel wear and possibly some salvo dispersion, although that may have been from sloppy tolerances from the shell manufacturers. French had some very high speed Destroyers like the Le Fantasque. And because im weird I also find it interesting that they used a substance called Black Mousse to fill the voids in some of their ships to keep out water. Only problem is that if it became soaked with oil from leaking/damaged tanks, you then had a flammable substance squirreled away in parts of the ship that were difficult or impossible to reach.

I think (can't recall for sure) that Britain experimented with cork sandwiched in the hulls of warships to retain reserve buoyancy in the case of damage. It also proved a failure on "stuff gets in there and fucks it all up" grounds. The French and Italian fleets developed largely in response to one another as the major Mediterranean powers. There was a particular rivalry in speed.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Ok ok, here's my proposal. We start a show like Deadliest Warrior but we put up vehicles/ships/guns/aircraft/etc against eachother.

But no humans, anywhere, except maybe the hosts. Maybe.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Ok ok, here's my proposal. We start a show like Deadliest Warrior but we put up vehicles/ships/guns/aircraft/etc against eachother.

But no humans, anywhere, except maybe the hosts. Maybe.

And Japan loses every week.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

RZApublican posted:

And Japan loses every week.

But only because the guns on the ships argue at eachother until one "accidentally" goes off and blows the whole ship up.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Lakedaimon posted:

French ships were the best. All guns forward at all times.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est

TildeATH posted:

Like what?

Others have already answered better than I could, but part of why it's interesting to read about [the French and Italian navies] is that they had their own different takes on naval doctrine and development, suited to their particular geographic and political situations. You hear about the mighty fleet of the Royal Navy, and compare the battleships of the IJN and USN, but so rarely hear the same about the Dunkerque or Vittorio Veneto. Granted, they didn't see much action, so much of what you do hear is just technical specifications and what-ifs, instead of famous war stories. But they are interesting and deserve more of a share of the limelight, as they were two large, modern navies!

The French loved putting all their battleships armament in quad turrets, all in the frontal arc of the ships. They also built some amazing destroyers that could do almost 45 knots!

The Italian Navy deserves some credit for bring one of the more competent branches of the Italian military, at least in terms of their hardware. For a nation where the majority of their weapons of war were a.) Substandard, b.) Over engineered or c.) Somehow both, the Navy did actually have a pretty decent fleet. Of course, they were a little slow accepting such outlandish concepts as 'naval aviation' and 'Radar'...

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Didn't the Italians build a CL that could hit 40 knots?

Granted, by removing like, all the armor.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Night10194 posted:

Didn't the Italians build a CL that could hit 40 knots?

Granted, by removing like, all the armor.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Condottieri-class_cruiser

34-37 knots

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capitani_Romani-class_cruiser

41-43 knots

edit:
Heck, even some of their heavier stuff travelled that fast

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trento-class_cruiser
36 knots

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_cruiser_Bolzano
36 knots

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Littorio-class_battleship
30 knots

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Feb 1, 2017

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I love Combat Mission Fortress Italy because you really get to see the difference having semi-automatic infantry rifles makes compared to Italian bolt action rifles.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Noumea might be the turning point in the Pacific. Or at least the point where Japan's expansion grinds to a halt until enough soldiers are released from a collapsing China.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

RA Rx posted:

Noumea might be the turning point in the Pacific. Or at least the point where Japan's expansion grinds to a halt until enough soldiers are released from a collapsing China.

Its an island, go around. If Grey's tying up men and materiel there he just needs to work on the surrounding area.

Unless he has no reserves or other units anywhere to do so, which would make even less sense because why would you bundle up your entire force onto one island.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

Has Grey attacked Fiji? I'm surprised he hasn't, Noumea was the Allies equivalent of Rabaul which makes me wonder why he went there.

Of course IIRC he did take Rabaul in the Allied LP. I doubt it will work for him this time though.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

RA Rx posted:

That's definitely the impression I'm getting. What America needed was a place where they could get stuck into the Japanese and fight a long attritional war. In OTL that's the Solomons, here it looks to be New Caledonia and the New Hebrides.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Such defeatist talk brings shame to you and dishonors Emperor Grey. The more men the Allies vainly throw into our bayonets the quicker they are exhausted and defeated.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I think Grey is fine if he brings up a suitably strong follow up force since now he can start basing planes on the northern hex at Noumea. Just a matter of sending in ships without getting caught by air cover. What could go wrong?!?? :iiam:

FourCartridge
Apr 30, 2015

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I think Grey is fine if he brings up a suitably strong follow up force since now he can start basing planes on the northern hex at Noumea. Just a matter of sending in ships without getting caught by air cover. What could go wrong?!?? :iiam:

With carriers sucking a fat one and land based air one of the biggest threats the Allies have, it's like the answer to Greys woes is to get the ability to physically move islands so that he can get mobile air support without the need of expensive vulnerable ships.

Is anyone with me on this?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
That's kind of the entire Pacific War in an oversimplified nutshell: if a base is underneath your umbrella of land-based airpower, you can prevent it from getting resupplied and reinforced, and can bomb the defenders directly until they give up.

Most of the crucial battles, then, are "leaps of faith" when one side or another tries to take a base that isn't within range of LBA, and brings their carriers out to put up a merely temporary umbrella.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Oh yeah! Battleship revenge!

Yeah, she's a gonner.

We pay a high price to bring down a B-17.

The next wave is more efficient.

Wave after wave of my own men.

The Allies lost more planes than we did.

Good subs!

New graph time!

While points continue to be lower than last time, there is a much larger gap between scores in this game.

We are ahead on weighted base points.

Air losses have spiked as the allied war machine swings into action.

This has affected the pilot lists.

We continue to cause lots of damage on the ground.

Apparently I lost a lot of ships last time out....

Rule the waves part 2!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
SS RO-64 and RO-66 show up for the first time, what spectacular work!

Edit: 1700+ unique ships seen so far!

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Feb 2, 2017

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
Getting multiple hits on a BB with a DD screen around, balls of steel etc.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Junkozeyne posted:

Getting multiple hits on a BB with a DD screen around, balls of steel etc.

While our BBs deserve their accolades for their work against the unprepared American CV fleet, our subs have been doing serious goddamn work.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Amazing Japanese subs following their doctrine there.

No follow-up on Noumea? For shame!

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Wow, five torpedo hits into a BB, nice. Can you make more subs and send them out to sea an dpatrol with the engine of the game or not?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
These 'improved' graphs suck donkey balls. Can we get the old ones back?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

wedgekree posted:

Wow, five torpedo hits into a BB, nice. Can you make more subs and send them out to sea an dpatrol with the engine of the game or not?

You only get what the game gives you, and what's in construction.

But yes, like any ship in the game, you may send them anywhere.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

Jobbo_Fett posted:

You only get what the game gives you, and what's in construction.

Thanks! Also suppose Grey doesn't want to have any airstrikes go after that CLAA either..

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

wedgekree posted:

Thanks! Also suppose Grey doesn't want to have any airstrikes go after that CLAA either..

No can do. The AI chooses which ship to attack and how. If you have them available, you can tell capable aircraft to bring torpedos, but whether they attack the port side, starboard side, dive bomb, etc, all goes to the engine and AI.

Just like how you can't choose whether or not plane squadrons will all arrive at the same time or not.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

RA Rx posted:

Amazing Japanese subs following their doctrine there.

No follow-up on Noumea? For shame!

Nothing happened, and I need to rest up my men for the next wave.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

On which carrier is 253 Ku-S1 stationed?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Drone posted:

On which carrier is 253 Ku-S1 stationed?

253rd Kokutai was land-based and arrives land-based in-game.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Can Grey get a BB group to Noumea to do a night swim-by shooting?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Jobbo_Fett posted:

253rd Kokutai was land-based and arrives land-based in-game.

Ah, I assumed it was a carrier group because it was marked as belonging to IJN.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Cartoon posted:

These 'improved' graphs suck donkey balls. Can we get the old ones back?

Yeah, these new graphics don't have the same charm.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Drone posted:

IJN-IJA.txt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Drone posted:

Don't be fooled! Just because they are IJN doesn't mean they have enough carriers to doom house them!