Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Magna Kaser posted:

What Chinese muslim group are they talking about? I have never heard a bad stereotype about the Hui, and their restaurants are always packed. In fact the Hui are like the model minority group in China, if one exists.

Now if you're talking about Uighur yeah that's a total thing here. The bad stereotypes are usually about Uighurs and (not Muslim but also explicitly not Han Chinese) Tibetans and Mongolians, but not Hui. My city has Tibetan and Uighur districts that always have increased police presence and uncomfortable looking Han people clutching their bags and crossing the street if they see an obviously Uighur or Tibetan person coming up in front of them.

Uighur food is super awesome, Tibetan food not so much.

It was the xinjiang people he thought stabbed people with AIDS needles but I think his contempt for Muslim restaurants was just because they were different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Sheep-Goats posted:

My time in both places leads me to believe that while Thais are definitely not big readers at least some of them read and some of them give a poo poo about reading. In China it was like you were an idiot to waste time with anything that wasn't running some shitass business.
TYPICAL ANECDOTAL FOREIGNER EXPERIENCE:
A lot of people here read books on their phones because it's easier to download an ePub instead of buying a physical book (and free, the main reason). However, the majority I've asked are reading something related to a work exam, or something for a promotion, etc. It's all related to "how can I improve my work/job prospects," rather than for pleasure or learning something not-money-related. Women tend to read health books, but it's hocus pocus TCM advice thing about how drinking water is the reason they are getting fat, so they need to quit drinking water, etc.
There was that news story about the industry of IP-knock-offs (domestic fan fiction) becoming very popular, but that's LOL and also read on the phone.

I have had countless people, who use their phones to read books, tell me that my actual ebook reader is bad for my eyes and I shouldn't be using it because I will go blind from the screen. I used to try to explain what e-paper is and refresh rates on screens, but I was always told the usual "Maybe... I don't know," Face bullshit that doesn't allow them to admit they don't know about something. Now I just say "No, you're wrong," and leave it at that.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Sheep-Goats posted:

No learning is ever bad, but some of it is still a waste of time.

I originally went to China largely out of an interest for Tang era poetry. There are a few problems with learning Chinese and Tang poets though. The first is that no one in Mainland China gives a poo poo about them beyond giving some forced clannish nod in their direction. The second is that classical Chinese poetry is apparently so different from spoken Chinese (even in its time, the centuries have only made things worse) that it's basically like learning a dialect with very difficult grammar rules to even begin to read it. Third is that despite China's massive population it's modern cultural output is a loving joke -- this is due in part to the living human rear end that functions as their government but largely because nobody gives a poo poo about actual culture in the Mainland, everybody just wants to be a businessman.

On the other hand you could learn something like Thai. Thai has basically nothing as far as a literary canon goes compared to English or Chinese but Thai people actually like Thai books and poems, you see them for sale in 7-11s sometimes, Bangkok makes a large number of movies many of which are actually very good, etc. Plus if you speak Thai to a Thai person the reaction isn't to stare at them like a dog stares at someone who has just done a card trick and then to turn to your friend and yell at them "HEY THE FOREIGNER SPEAKS CHINESE!"

If you learned German you'd have Rilke and operas to listen to and some research and math documentation that you could access even though you'd probably never need German to talk to a German person in 2017 since their English is usually so good. Spanish gives you libraries of literature and three different continents to use the language on.

Chinese is just such a busted, decrepit choice that if we didn't know they had a billion people no one would ever bother with it.
Maaaan. Chinese has a buncha cool things about it but yeah, there is definitely a problem of how difficult it is vs how much you get outta it.
I hope your realize though that you're looking at the language (and dare I say even China) a bit like a scorned lover. I'm, for once, not trying to be dickish but I think this does give you a bit of a skewed view of its worth. I mean, if it's a hell of a lot of effort for y'all to learn languages, I can imagine it feels less like a whim and more like a real investment that's then wasted or you find out that all that culture, history and whatnot you loved from afar turns out to be nothing like you thought it would be.

I dunno, even then, isn't it better to have loved and lost then not have loved at all? I think this is just a difference of opinion here and that you aren't wrong, but I still think that something as small as minor isn't wasted.

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

Can confirm that many Germans speak decent English. Not all, but many. Although they are usually impressed if you can speak their language. And apparently German with an American accent is kind of cool.
Lol at you for having visited no doubt the cities and the inferior north; the best Germans don't even speak German.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

hakimashou posted:

One of these days I'm going to figure out how to make chuanr right, it can't be that hard.

Apparently it's the specific cut of meat and the marinade that makes all the difference. All you usually see them do is sprinkle some salt, cumin, and chilli powder on it when it's cooking.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Haier posted:

TYPICAL ANECDOTAL FOREIGNER EXPERIENCE:
A lot of people here read books on their phones because it's easier to download an ePub instead of buying a physical book (and free, the main reason). However, the majority I've asked are reading something related to a work exam, or something for a promotion, etc. It's all related to "how can I improve my work/job prospects," rather than for pleasure or learning something not-money-related. Women tend to read health books, but it's hocus pocus TCM advice thing about how drinking water is the reason they are getting fat, so they need to quit drinking water, etc.
There was that news story about the industry of IP-knock-offs (domestic fan fiction) becoming very popular, but that's LOL and also read on the phone.

I have had countless people, who use their phones to read books, tell me that my actual ebook reader is bad for my eyes and I shouldn't be using it because I will go blind from the screen. I used to try to explain what e-paper is and refresh rates on screens, but I was always told the usual "Maybe... I don't know," Face bullshit that doesn't allow them to admit they don't know about something. Now I just say "No, you're wrong," and leave it at that.

My experience is kinda the opposite. I see e-readers quite often at cafes and stuff, but really who cares if people read on their phone? That's a weirdly specific and not at all unique to China thing to nitpick. Even though I have a Kindle I still read books on my phone on the bus or subway cuz it's about 100x easier to take out on crowded public transport.

e: whoops misread you a bit, missed that they were telling you it's better than eink. that's silly.

Also Chinese fiction does have some good stuff, though, yeah, it isn't huge in number. One recent example is Three Body Problem is pretty good & also won the Hugo last year. The fact both Taiwan and the PRC had an iron grip on the media until the 1980s coming off of WW2 and a civil war or kind of slowed output of decent fiction, though.

Ailumao fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Feb 2, 2017

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Magna Kaser posted:

My experience is kinda the opposite. I see e-readers quite often at cafes and stuff, but really who cares if people read on their phone? That's a weirdly specific and not at all unique to China thing to nitpick. Even though I have a Kindle I still read books on my phone on the bus or subway cuz it's about 100x easier to take out on crowded public transport.

e: whoops misread you a bit, missed that they were telling you it's better than eink. that's silly.

Also Chinese fiction does have some good stuff, though, yeah, it isn't huge in number. One recent example is Three Body Problem is pretty good & also won the Hugo last year. The fact both Taiwan and the PRC had an iron grip on the media until the 1980s coming off of WW2 and a civil war or kind of slowed output of decent fiction, though.
I wasn't nitpicking the phones as a reason, just that it's why you don't see people reading physical books. Everyone is always on their phone, and many are reading, but it always looks like they are just using their phone (and they are usually chatting at the same time anyway).

I read the Three Body Problem. Some of it was good, and other parts were very laughable once you've been in China. The part of the IDGAF random hillbilly detective angrily Face Powering a group of seasoned foreign generals would be believable to a local, but elicited quite a chuckle from me. I kept wondering who was letting this retard into this secret government meetings to throw tantrums and smoke. When you see the dynamic of Face Culture put into it, along with that awful detective character, it becomes a "Lemme find that China Bingo checklist and see how many I get!"

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

DookieSandwich posted:

As a Lao, I resent this remark. Thai is a dialect of Lao.

Please, it's all just a dialect of Khmer.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Is there a China bingo card? And Haier can you take one with you and report back how long it takes to hit a win?

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
Air and weather philosophy in Shenzhen -
"Clear" day, AQI 170+: Wear no mask, take no precautions. Visible smog and exhaust fumes taste in the air. "That's normal."
Cloudy/overcast day, AQI 50: Wear a mask. Clouds and smog are one and the same. You might get sick, too.
Windy day, AQI 50: Wear a mask. Wind is dangerous, the dirty air comes from other places. You might get sick, too. No, wait, you'll definitely get sick. Wind/breeze is so bad for healthy!
Wet and foggy day, AQI doesn't matter, but it's always low here when it rains: "It's smog!" Go hide.
Rainy day: "YOU'LL CATCH A COLD IF YOU GET A RAIN DROP ON YOU!! Here, take these antibiotics to ward off lowering your core temperature."
Warm, sunny day in "winter": Wool coats. Puffy jackets. Gloves. Scarves. Maybe a face mask. Dress for the season, not the weather.
Warm, sunny day in summer: Practically naked. Umbrella is a must. Best to avoid the sun at all costs. Do not turn on air conditioning, as you will get sick. If you must be in AC, take antibiotics to prevent the AC set to 27C from giving you pneumonia. Wear almost nothing to work and complain how cold you are at all times, and then "get sick" and be a big bitch-made baby about it for a week straight.
Warm, monsoon day in summer: Get soaking wet in your summer clothes and decide to end life right there because wet clothes automatically equals Bubonic plague combined with mild dandruff.

Conversation: Constantly ask foreigners not bundled up or wearing practically nothing why they don't feel cold/hot. When they answer, claim it is probably because Chinese and foreigners are different kinds of people.

Technical details: if it is sunny then the air cannot be smoggy or polluted. It's impossible. If it is not sunny, then the air must always be smoggy and polluted. Things do not work any other way.

Outrail posted:

Is there a China bingo card? And Haier can you take one with you and report back how long it takes to hit a win?
There was one from r/China I think. Google doesn't have it in images. If someone can post it or find it, I will put it on my phone and see how many squares I can check on Saturday or Sunday.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

One of the china bingo cards.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

angel opportunity posted:

Xiao Gua Gua of house Bo raised his banner with the help of his parents, as he was too weak to do anything himself. The great banner depicted a steaming hot pot encircling a cyanide pill. The matronly Lady Kai Lai stood behind him, planning dastardly. Behind them stood house Diaoyu, their banner proudly displayed the Middle Kingdom's greatest island and its abundant bounty of rocks and small bugs. The island was painted crimson, and the indigo waters were full of mercury-laden fish and deformed crabs painted a pale orange. In the retinue of these great houses were three prestigious guilds: The street shitters, the day nappers, and the gawkers.

Kai Lai raised her looking glass and saw a car approaching. "Our scouts are returning," she said. The car came into honking distance, honking loudly as it drove through the zebra crossing without yielding. The driver jumped out and spat onto the street without looking where he was aiming, "M'lady, there are three Japanese walking through Jiefangbei, they are being comically polite in a way I have never before seen: They are raising and re-angling their umbrellas so that they do not hit passers-by in the head as they walk by."

Kai Lai shrieked. "Such condescension, do you know what happened in Nanjing? They are rubbing it in our faces." Behind her, one of the street shitters shat onto the street. "Gua Gua, mount your black Audi. Show these Gui Zi what happens when you hurt the feelings of the Chinese people."

Gua Gua, with the help of his Father, got into his black Audi, and with the help of his mother fastened his seat belt. His Mom started the car for him and made sure the horn was working; it was raining after all. His steed ready, Gua Gua blasted through the zebra crossing, grazing several pedestrians, which the gawkers took a good look at, their hands clasped behind the backs.

In the distance, among the Chinese chaotically bumping into each other and ramming umbrellas into each others' heads, Gua Gua spotted three figures. Rather than walking how they wanted and hitting whoever so happened to walk into their path, these figures were predicting the course of incoming obstacles and moving out of the way in order to avoid collisions. Gua Gua seethed at the insult to his country's rich and ancient culture.

In order to approach more stealthily, Gua Gua cut his horn beeps down to one beep per second. He wanted these Gui Zi to be caught off guard. He saw the Japanese approach a zebra crossing, so Gua Gua built up speed, preparing to clash. The targets were less than a meter from the crossing; Gua Gua swerved right, predicting their path. His timing was perfect, he would be at the crossing just as the Japanese stepped onto the street, they would all be crushed and their corrupt blood would spill across the city, as it should have in Nanjing.

But then it went all wrong: Just as the Japanese were supposed to cross, they instead looked both ways, and seeing Gua Gua's Audi, they didn't cross. Gua Gua swerved right in an attempt to clip them into the shops opposite the sidewalk, but he was going too fast and turned too late. He rammed directly into the guard rail.

Gua Gua felt himself pulled from the car. The gawkers formed a circle around him, they stared and did nothing as he bled out. Someone was helping him though, it must be his mother or father, he realized. But then he heard their voices, speaking Mandarin with too many syllables. It was the Japanese, they were going to rape him as they had done to his relatives in Nanjing, or perhaps they would hold him hostage and demand lands which had always belonged to China in exchange for Gua Gua's return.

"Herro? Man is hur-u-tu, car-u cras-shu, we need ambu-ran-su, xie xie."

The Japanese were helping him? It was a propaganda stunt, they would lord this over China for the next hundred years. "Three retards save Prince of prominent Chinese house," the headlines would read in their newspaper, in bold squiggles and stolen Chinese characters.

日本SQUIGGLE SQUIGGLE STUPID loving CIRCLE王DOT DOT CRAZY JAGGED LINE救STOLEN ENGLISH WORD STOLEN GERMAN WORD -- 英雄

He had to stop this from happening. His mother had given him one of the cyanide pills in case he ever needed to kill a close friend of his, but now he needed to end his own life. The cyanide pill was part of his house's banner, and Gua Gua knew this would bring honor to his house. He bit down on the pill, but usually his mom cut pills up for him so he could swallow them easily with water, and he had no water here. The pill was really hard, so he couldn't bite on it very well. It fell out of his mouth and rolled into a gutter.

The Japanese had stopped the bleeding, and an ambulance was close now, it was only blocked by a dozen or so cars stopped in the middle of the road. It would be here any minute, and with it would come shame and dishonor. Gua gua's body was almost fatally injured, but worse, his feelings were hurt.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
the best post in the history of SA, IMO.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
In the industry of teaching English abroad, people of colour don’t exist. Or at least that’s what you might think from reading articles like Vice’s White People with No Skill Sets Wanted in China. In the piece, Walker and Hartley suggest that Chinese people believe all white people can teach English well. They have, however, failed to acknowledge the harmful role that the English teaching industry and western media have had in painting the image of ‘good English’ as a domain reserved for white people. Whilst this image serves to fuel entitlement amongst whites it also renders English-speaking people of colour invisible and fundamentally deficient by way of their race. Clearly, since the rise of English as the language of empire, it can no longer be considered as synonymous with white. Perpetuating this perspective leads to situations where people ask me

“Oh? You’re an English teacher? But I thought you were black.”

For a while now, I’ve been going back and forth in my head about what it means to be a person of colour, teaching English abroad. Every day I find myself conflicted in how I feel about my work; although I enjoy it, I also feel as if I have something to prove. While I am a 23 year-old, native English-speaking American, with a dual bachelor of arts in Chinese language and philosophy; I am also a black Latina woman with a sizeable afro. I feel the pressure of my race every single day when my students are reluctant to play the role of a black character for language practice in a skit. I feel the need prove that black and brown people can make it in the world.

The most jarring realisation that I have had during my experience of teaching abroad, has been how truly unprepared I was to endure the constant contact with intrusive, white, western privilege, and its detrimental effects on, not only me as a person, but on the Chinese people that I encounter every day. Of course I’ve browsed through all the usual expat resources, “life hack” articles for the traveller, but very few delve into the psychological journeys of people of colour living abroad. However, the majority seem to be written by middle class white westerners “experiencing youth”, “living life on the edge” and “finding themselves”

I wonder how different the output quality of English teachers in China would be if they not only recruited more teachers of colour, but also gave them resources. Programs such as mine do not prepare us for the triggering effects of being followed around a store or stopped and checked for identification on a Tuesday night. Nor do they prepare us for older ladies grabbing our hair or children seeing us and screaming. Currently, the visibility of non-white native English speakers in countries like China is astoundingly low, however, I believe that changing this will have a disruptive effect, breaking the illusory notion that English (and thereby power) is the domain of whiteness alone, distributed downward only at the hands of white benevolence.

Within a hegemonic world, the English language has been placed on such a high pedestal that Chinese parents are spending their last dime to have an unskilled foreigner pretend to teach their children. The high demand for English has been established because those in non-native English speaking countries believe English is necessary for survival. As a person of colour operating in this environment I feel that, although I am a part of the problem by virtue of supporting the industry, I am also challenging norms by showing that people of colour needn’t always be sat in the class, they can lead it too.

I was placed at my current school through a foundation that recruits recent college graduates for employment teaching English in China. The sole requirements were a background check, four-year university degree, an interest in Chinese culture, and native speaker English fluency. Hundreds of teachers arrive in countries like China every year, with these minimal qualifications and inadequate knowledge of basic world culture, race, and history. They do not know that English has been used as a tool of imperialism for decades and continues to be the dominant language of privilege used by western countries to uphold the line between the haves and the have-nots. They cannot see that their sense of entitlement will remain unchecked because there is no one around to check it when they quite literally, rule the world. I wonder how different these programs would be if trainees were given useful cultural lessons that highlighted more than “bizarre Chinese customs”, and focused on how to be a conscious foreign ambassador. Our cultural training started and ended with basic statements about getting our picture taken from time to time on the streets, interesting Chinese cuisine, too small clothes, and how “Chinese girls love white dudes”. I believe an honest panel discussion on life in China from the perspective of a native Chinese citizen, a non-white expat, and non-male participant would be most beneficial.

Whilst it is difficult to work against a perspective that remains ubiquitous after centuries of hegemony, action can be taken. Organisations, much like the one that placed me in China, can hire a more diverse staff, and they should establish a set of baseline criteria for participants that exceeds just a university degree. Cross-cultural competency, a fundamental understanding of racism and privilege, and personal accountability should be just as important as knowledge of the English language. I’d go as far as suggesting the recruitment of majority non-white English teachers for a few years to begin shifting the balance.

I feel immense pressure to help my students learn English so that I can give them the advantage that they unfortunately need to have. Ultimately, I have had to take a critical look at how I am contributing to western privilege, yet also uplifting English-speaking people of colour in the eyes of the non-English speaking world. Chinese students should have the opportunity to learn that this language is not synonymous with white. I sleep at night knowing that as a person of colour, I have displayed myself as a foil to the negative stereotypes and general portrayals non-western countries receive about people like me on a constant basis.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
ROFL. This owned. Too bad he/she stopped postingu.

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

I believe an honest panel discussion on life in China from the perspective of a native Chinese citizen, a non-white expat, and non-male participant would be most beneficial.
I tried googling this but I can't find it. I can't tell if it is sarcastic or honest. I don't even believe this person can be in China and still feel this way. LMAO at apology culture these people are creating.

BCR posted:

One of the china bingo cards.
This is a little ambiguous, as much of this as many things might be subjective. I will use it this weekend if this is the only one that comes along.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

DookieSandwich posted:

As a Lao, I resent this remark. Thai is a dialect of Lao.

A language is a dialect with an army AND a navy :smug:

I just wanted to make that joke, I know they have a brown water navy

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Haier posted:

I tried googling this but I can't find it. I can't tell if it is sarcastic or honest. I don't even believe this person can be in China and still feel this way. LMAO at apology culture these people are creating.

I accept that not everyone will agree with me that this could be sincerely interesting, intellectually engaging, and potentially really productive, but I don't accept that anyone can think it wouldn't be loving hilarious.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Haier posted:

There was one from r/China I think. Google doesn't have it in images. If someone can post it or find it, I will put it on my phone and see how many squares I can check on Saturday or Sunday.

looks like this one was filled in

ALso found a sexpat bingo on ccj2 http://thickmanbangkok.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/sex-tourist-bingo.pdf

A Horse Named Mandy
Feb 9, 2007

A Horse Named Mandy fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Feb 2, 2017

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

:captainpop:

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
Poop Girl suddenly re-added me to wish me a happy new year. We haven't talked in months, after she got all crazy and defensive about becoming a weirdo mistress to pay for her mom's hospital bills. She was willing to talk with me about anything except her current situation, which she was private and personal. I knew this meant she was still with the boss guy that "hired" her to be his employee and have sex to pay for her mom's bills.

After five minutes of nagging she finally relented, obviously wanting to complain about it.

>Her mom got better and left. Poop Girl didn't want to find a normal job to pay bills and have her own life, so she moved in with the boss guy.
>I guess going from wiping your mom's rear end for four months to living with an older Chinese guy is kinda similar.
>She complained she hadn't let the house in 11 days until she was able to go visit her parents for CNY.
>I asked why.
>She said he doesn't like her going outside, and they live far from a Metro station.
>Ask where she is and she sent me the location.
>Hella far from anything. She said 25 stops on the bus to the nearest Metro.
>"There is nothing here so I can't go outside. He keeps me like a prisoner and doesn't let me leave the house unless he is gone for business."
>He's super jealous and possessive, since I guess this is the first girl to ever fall for his sex-for-pay idea.

>Ask her again why she doesn't just move out or find a job with a worker's dorm and move out.
>She makes basic wages with him, and gets to sit at home all day watching movies and playing phone, and all she has to do is cook him dinner, wash clothes, and let him pump on her for 20 seconds.
>Ask how old he is.
>He's 60. He has a wife and grown kids.
>LMAO, just like that other mistress I knew.
>She hasn't eaten in three days because not a single store is open where their apartment is.
>Finally tells me to stop asking her personal questions.
>Asks if she can come to my house while the boss is on CNY holiday.
>Tell her I worry disease from Bossman. No can do.
>She rage quits.

5000 years of wonderful relationships.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Lady Galaga posted:

looks like this one was filled in

ALso found a sexpat bingo on ccj2 http://thickmanbangkok.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/sex-tourist-bingo.pdf
This one is good if you're with other expats, since it's obviously expat bingo. Currently I know one white expat that I see regularly, but he lives in Hong Kong (not a goon!) and the only thing he complains about are the drivers.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Wait.. that's not normal?

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
why dont you come to hong kong, or at least join the wechat to share pics of poop girl

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
go to Hong Kong, do not join the wechat group

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

Can confirm that many Germans speak decent English. Not all, but many. Although they are usually impressed if you can speak their language. And apparently German with an American accent is kind of cool.

What about german with a swedish accent?

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Deceitful Penguin posted:

I dunno, even then, isn't it better to have loved and lost then not have loved at all?

God drat.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Lady Galaga posted:

why dont you come to hong kong, or at least join the wechat to share pics of poop girl
Dox he ownself with goons?
I do go to HK, but not often. I would definitely not meet any online personalities from this website regardless.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

https://bingobaker.com/

Feel free to make your own bingos.

Glorius Chinar has a long history of copys

Real talk, I've started reading romance of the three kingdoms. About 150 pages in, yet to see cao cao be this bad rear end of bad asses yet.

Edit: https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/lazy-and-white-go-teach-in-china

The Vice article.

BCR fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Feb 2, 2017

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

BCR posted:

https://bingobaker.com/

Feel free to make your own bingos.

Glorius Chinar has a long history of copys

Real talk, I've started reading romance of the three kingdoms. About 150 pages in, yet to see cao cao be this bad rear end of bad asses yet.

Edit: https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/lazy-and-white-go-teach-in-china

The Vice article.

quote:

As the industry matures and more westerners move to China, the English education industry may be more heavily pressured to enforce higher standards for their instructors. But until that happens, a foreign instructor does not necessarily guarantee quality lessons. While some are undoubtedly committed and great at what they do, many see these teaching jobs as an opportunity to live an easy life abroad while working only 20 hours a week
This should have been the entire article. LOL @ Vice running these kinds of click-bait titles, despite being known as "drunk/stoned white guy reporters 'yeah buddy' stuff in different countries" and entirely made for white young college-aged males that enjoy video games and weed.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

"White People with No Skill Sets Wanted in China" sounds like an Onion article.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

here ya go guys, pick a random two page sample and go crazy

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
yo deceitful penguin i didn't mean to call you out or anything, just that i remember one post very vividly of someone saying "shut up deceitful penguin" and i lol'd and i had one empty space so i just put you in there. hope there's no hard feelings :cheers:

Drunk & Ugly
Feb 10, 2003

GIMME GIMME GIMME, DON'T ASK WHAT FOR

quote:

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/02/01/asia/china-hong-kong-billionaire-xiao-jianhua/index.html
(CNN)A Chinese billionaire with Canadian citizenship has been seized from his apartment at the Four Seasons hotel in Hong Kong and taken to mainland China, a source familiar with the situation told CNN Wednesday.

Hong Kong police said they were investigating the disappearance of Xiao Jianhua, who was reported missing Friday. Police added that they had received a request Saturday from a family member to drop the case.
"We are still investigating and have reached out to the mainland authorities concerned," the statement sent to CNN Tuesday said.
Xiao is one of China's richest men and controls the Tomorrow Group, a massive holding company with stakes in banks, insurers and property developers. According to Hurun, which analyzes Chinese wealth, Xiao is 46 and has a net worth of $6 billion.

Xiao's disappearance adds to fears that freedoms guaranteed under the "one country, two systems" policy agreed to as part of Britain's 1997 handover of Hong Kong are being eroded as Beijing asserts more control over the city.
His case has drawn comparisons with Lee Bo, a bookseller and British passport holder that disappeared from Hong Kong in late 2015 and later turned up in Chinese custody.
Lee's removal, which came after the disappearance of four of his colleagues, sparked outrage in Hong Kong and internationally over fears he was taken against his will by Chinese law enforcement agents, who aren't permitted to act in the self-governing city.

can't buy me looo-ooove!

lol

quote:

A front-page ad published in a Hong Kong newspaper Wednesday with Xiao Jianhua's name printed at the bottom denied he'd been kidnapped.
Mingpao said they couldn't disclose who bought the unusual ad, which according to the newspaper's advertising rate card would have cost $36,500.
Other high-profile businesspeople detained in China have been pressed to release messages insisting that everything is fine.

Drunk & Ugly fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Feb 2, 2017

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

The Great Autismo! posted:

yo deceitful penguin i didn't mean to call you out or anything, just that i remember one post very vividly of someone saying "shut up deceitful penguin" and i lol'd and i had one empty space so i just put you in there. hope there's no hard feelings :cheers:

Something would be very wrong with you, if you didn't think of that Smirr post every time DP posts.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Haier posted:

Dox he ownself with goons?
I do go to HK, but not often. I would definitely not meet any online personalities from this website regardless.

Goons rule. I've met maybe 1 I didn't like.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

i once made the mistake of talking about my job on here too openly and a goon showed up saying he was from the internet with his camera app out asking for a picture. imagine that, but you're in china instead, and the goon you're meeting is a deep cover PLA operative

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

http://www.chinapost.com.tw/taiwan/national/national-news/2017/02/02/490633/Uber-Taiwan.htm

"The Good" China Post posted:

TAIPEI, Taiwan -- Uber Taiwan, facing mounting government pressure and fines, announced Thursday that it was temporarily suspending operations in Taiwan starting Feb. 10.
In a company statement, Uber says it was temporarily ceasing operations and hoped to return to negotiations with the government to "innovate transportation technology" on the island.

"This is a difficult decision," the statement indicated, adding that the service had helped make 15 million trips possible in its four years of operation in Taiwan.

The announcement came after the ride-share service was fined by Taiwan's government repeatedly, amassing fines of up to NT$1.1 billion (approximately US$35 million) since Jan. 6.

The Transportation Ministry ordered Uber Taiwan to cease operations and said that the service ban would continue until the company abided by local laws.

I don't understand how Uber could work here. Taxis were already so cheap and could be called from any convenience store.

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

The Great Autismo! posted:

here ya go guys, pick a random two page sample and go crazy

i doubt this thread has ever gone a page without a bingo and i'd be surprised if at least one in ten didn't fill the card

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

basic hitler posted:

i once made the mistake of talking about my job on here too openly and a goon showed up saying he was from the internet with his camera app out asking for a picture. imagine that, but you're in china instead, and the goon you're meeting is a deep cover PLA operative

The trick with meeting internet strangers, goons or otherwise, is to meet in a well-lit public place with people around, and not tell them exactly where you work or live so you can simply decline to meet them again if they're weird.

That one you can have on me, buddy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

basic hitler posted:

Should've asked them to come back with a printer.

• Locked thread