Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Skinty McEdger posted:

A researcher I know said this isn't an uncommon sentiment at the commons at the moment. The way she put it was that you vote, get labeled by Farage and the Mail as an enemy of the people, and then the next time you're mentioned by either it's to say that no one could have forseen the attack upon you on the streets and they certainly had nothing to do with it.

Well it's game over then. The papers not only control the narrative but directly control our politicians.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Pissflaps posted:

Why would the EU want to see British financial services relocate to Northern Ireland, particularly?

They wouldn't particularly. The point is that ROI would need a sweetener to take on the annual 6 billion sinkhole of NI. And that, as I said, would probably take the form of structural funding or debt forgiveness.

e: The money could just as easily be used to rejuvenate NI manufacturing, but somehow I don't see Harlann&Wolff being the saviours of NI

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Wheat Loaf posted:

Genuinely wouldn't be surprised if Northern Ireland ends up effectively "cut out" of the UK's borders, ends up like a kind of Kaliningrad Oblast thing.

If there were a border poll held this year I would vote for Irish reunification. I was nominally unionist all my life but the certainty and security that made the union appealing evaporated last summer and we are now tied to a maniac country riding a bomb. :/

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

WeAreTheRomans posted:

They wouldn't particularly. The point is that ROI would need a sweetener to take on the annual 6 billion sinkhole of NI. And that, as I said, would probably take the form of structural funding or debt forgiveness.

Isn't the Republic constitutionally bound to seek a reunited Ireland?

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

If there was a border poll campaign I think "The NHS!" would come up pretty quickly and a response of "sure maybe well talk about it later" might not cut it - I don't think its impossible to swing public opinion but I think there currently does not exist an organised political force that could

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

No

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Has the EU ever before entered into such horse trading? It just doesn't seem to be something it does?

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Pissflaps posted:

Per the GFA, if NI votes for reunification it gets put to the citizenry of ROI by referendum. They would need convincing

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

kustomkarkommando posted:

Eh, I wouldn't underestimate the resilience of Unionism as a political force and a lot of that plan entails an active drive from FG for reunification which seems a bit unreliable - if its FF I could buy it but their brand of rhetoric is more traditional wouldn't do much to galvanize traditional unionist support for a united Ireland

There's plenty of people in the DUP (and elsewhere) who, given the choice, would rather Northern Ireland end up as an independent state than be part of the Republic. Sammy Wilson, for instance. There's unionism and then there's this kind of ultra-loyalist mentality which believes Ulster Protestants are more British than the British themselves.

Funny how one of the more famous Paisley quotes from the end of his career was "You cannot be an Ulsterman without being an Irishman".

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Only from Wikipedia but

quote:

Article 2 and Article 3 of the Constitution of Ireland (Bunreacht na hÉireann) were adopted with the constitution as a whole on 29 December 1937, but completely revised by means of the Nineteenth Amendment which took effect on 2 December 1999.[1] As amended they grant the right to be "part of the Irish Nation" to all of those born on the island of Ireland and express a desire for the peaceful political unification of the island subject to the consent of the peoples of Northern Ireland and Ireland.

Would be odd for the people north and south to demand reunification, but the actual decision to hinge on EU 'sweeteners': though is all quite wishy washy tbf.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Per the GFA, if NI votes for reunification it gets put to the citizenry of ROI by referendum. They would need convincing

That's interesting I always assumed they'd be for it tbh.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
http://labour-uncut.co.uk/2017/02/01/by-backing-the-brexit-bill-labour-is-writing-the-tories-a-blank-cheque/

This summarises my thoughts on why labour are morons nicely.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Pissflaps posted:

Has the EU ever before entered into such horse trading? It just doesn't seem to be something it does?

There was a lot of deal-making regarding the reunification of East and West Germany which I don't really know the specifics of, but yes they do sometimes. And Brexit is going to be a wild ride for all negotiating parties.

Anyway, note that reunification does not currently have the electoral numbers in NI (or, in fact, ROI), it's contingent on a rock-hard Brexit bringing people around to the idea

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/sharp-rise-in-support-for-united-ireland-survey-reveals-1.2784882

Nevertheless, anecdotes like below are becoming more and more common and certainly point in that direction

crispix posted:

If there were a border poll held this year I would vote for Irish reunification. I was nominally unionist all my life but the certainty and security that made the union appealing evaporated last summer and we are now tied to a maniac country riding a bomb. :/

Then, on the other hand

kustomkarkommando posted:

Eh, I wouldn't underestimate the resilience of Unionism as a political force and a lot of that plan entails an active drive from FG for reunification which seems a bit unreliable - if its FF I could buy it but their brand of rhetoric is more traditional wouldn't do much to galvanize traditional unionist support for a united Ireland

I agree with these points completely. The drive from the South will also depend on what sort of inroads SF make if/when the current minority Dail collapses

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

WeAreTheRomans posted:

As I see it, it hinges on (i) a new Scottish referendum galvanising public opinion, while Tories simultaneously cut funding to NI or otherwise impact the public sector. (ii) Enda Kenny's replacement (probably Leo Varadkar) being able to broker some sort of compromise arrangement with the EU, where we take on NI and avoid the border conflict in exchange for structural funding over a period of years to regenerate NI as a haven for fleeing British financial services. This could take the form of forgiveness of a certain proportion of ROI sovereign debt to the Troika
Yeah that right there is a series of events if there ever was one.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Pissflaps posted:

Depends if you see the troika as "The EU" or not since they play a pretty loose game.

jBrereton fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Feb 2, 2017

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

Only from Wikipedia but

Would be odd for the people north and south to demand reunification, but the actual decision to hinge on EU 'sweeteners': though is all quite wishy washy tbf.

Article 3 was amended to be a lot more vague:

quote:

It is the firm will of the Irish Nation, in harmony and friendship, to unite all the people who share the territory of the island of Ireland, in all the diversity of their identities and traditions, recognising that a united Ireland shall be brought about only by peaceful means with the consent of a majority of the people

There's no constitutional proscription to actively seek consent for reunification and the vague language defining a united Ireland as one where all people are united (with no reference to national territory) is wide open to interpretation

kustomkarkommando fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Feb 2, 2017

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pissflaps posted:

They're for the idea in principle, but not if it costs anything.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I don't understand why the EU would be motivated to steep itself in British/Irish/Scottish politics to keep borders open or shut when it can just let the already complex process of Brexit unwind and.

It seems like pie in the sky thinking - especially so for Scotland where some nationalists seek to think the EU's prime concern is keeping them in the EU.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Pissflaps posted:

I don't understand why the EU would be motivated to steep itself in British/Irish/Scottish politics to keep borders open or shut when it can just let the already complex process of Brexit unwind and.

It seems like pie in the sky thinking - especially so for Scotland where some nationalists seek to think the EU's prime concern is keeping them in the EU.
There is nothing more important to Jean-Claude Juncker than making sure the Europeans don't have to pay WTO tariffs on tunnocks teacakes you tory bastart

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Pissflaps posted:

I don't see this happening contemporaneously with Brexit by the way, but afterwards, as a hard border erodes the GFA and NI peacekeeping, and the British economy is flushed down the toilet and deprioiritizes its support of NI sinecures.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Pissflaps posted:

I support Scottish Independence, but honestly the belief that the EU would let us in doesn't really convince me particularly when there are countries with vested interests in not setting a precedent for letting separatist movements to be recognised. I can't see anyway Spain would go for it for example.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Personally I believe pragmatism will win out in many cases and most of the heart stopping stuff we see about hard borders and tariffs and membership of things like Euratom will ultimately be resolved to the half satisfaction and mild detriment of all.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Pissflaps posted:

I think they know it would be a bit of an economic millstone around their necks.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

LemonDrizzle posted:

Paul Nuttall may be going to pokey:

https://twitter.com/Channel4News/status/826914332768423936

The penalty for lying on your nomination form is: you go to prison for up to six months, you're banned from voting for multiple years, and if you've been elected, you're automatically kicked out
I think you'll find any judge trying so blatantly to oppose the Will Of The People™ would be well-advised to think again, comrade :toughguy:

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Skinty McEdger posted:

I support Scottish Independence, but honestly the belief that the EU would let us in doesn't really convince me particularly when there are countries with vested interests in not setting a precedent for letting separatist movements to be recognised. I can't see anyway Spain would go for it for example.

I don't support Scottish independence but I think an independent Scotland would have no problem becoming an EU member state.

I do however think it would take longer than the 18 months stated in the white paper, and Scotland would be worse off as a result.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

learnincurve posted:

I think that's what people living and working in London want. I live in the North and what people really want here, is the government to subsidise train ticket prices down to London so we can access all those lovely free museums and galleries, and most crucially, to build council houses. The brexit vote was used by a lot of people to send a message that we are unhappy with the housing situation, and with the full knowledge that Brexit will gently caress London but that it can't get any worse for people stuck living in high unemployment low wage areas with a high street full of charity shops and American owned coffee shops.
Although Londoners may complain about how high house prices and rents are in the capital and "you can live in a bedsit in Clapham or buy a 5 bed in Birmingham" that only applies if you can afford to actually buy a house. Outside of London It's getting almost impossible to find private landlords who will take DSS and if you do find one it's the absolute dregs with a tenancy that can be ended on the Landlord's whim. Build council houses, and the "they come over here and get given a council house when ordinary working class people can't get one" argument being used by racists, which probably caused the Brexit majority, will vanish.
Unfortunately this isn't the message that was heard, the message that was heard was apparently "kick all the foreigners out, ditch our biggest trading partner, and lube up so we can sell the NHS to The Great Orange Baboon".

If people wanted more houses built the way to do it was probably by lobbying local government and by supporting MPs or parties who support more houses being built. Voting to leave the EU, which has precisely nothing to do with how many houses get built, is like trying to fix a leaky tap by ordering a new television: utterly unrelated to the problem and therefore totally insane.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

El Pollo Blanco posted:

Unfortunately, the concept of government interfering in the housing market is terrifying to both the left and right political parties because the only people who vote are homeowners, apparently.
This isn't true. The government repeatedly interferes in the housing market by:

- Banning local authorities from borrowing to build council houses, with the borrowing secured against future rents. This is how council house-building was financed for decades but it's been illegal since the 1980s
- Failing to reform the planning system, which is a huge interferece in the housing market because it says there are large tracts of the country upon which you can't build houses no matter how severe the demand is
- Things like Help to Buy and LISAs and shared-ownership schemes, all of which literally and directly spend tax revenue to prop up house prices.

The trick is the government only inteferes if it will raise prices. It has no interest in lowering them, because homeowners vote.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Pissflaps posted:

Personally I believe pragmatism will win out in many cases and most of the heart stopping stuff we see about hard borders and tariffs and membership of things like Euratom will ultimately be resolved to the half satisfaction and mild detriment of all.

You could just as easily have applied this kind of "nothing ever happens" logical approach to the very idea of Brexit. One might have thought the path of least resistance would have been some special concessions being made in return for Britain not throwing all its toys out of the European pram, but welp here we are

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

How can the loving Northern Ireland Affairs Committee be so loving clueless about something that's utterly obvious to anyone with a brain cell and who's been paying attention to British history for the past few decades

I mean gently caress me how is it news that there will need to be border controls between the EU and the UK when the UK leaves the EU.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

Zephro posted:

Unfortunately this isn't the message that was heard, the message that was heard was apparently "kick all the foreigners out, ditch our biggest trading partner, and lube up so we can sell the NHS to The Great Orange Baboon".

If people wanted more houses built the way to do it was probably by lobbying local government and by supporting MPs or parties who support more houses being built. Voting to leave the EU, which has precisely nothing to do with how many houses get built, is like trying to fix a leaky tap by ordering a new television: utterly unrelated to the problem and therefore totally insane.

The idea of leaving was to force out the foreigners living in currently existing homes, and to stop immigrants from taking/buying them up, not to build new ones.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Skinty McEdger posted:

Worth looking at Rajoy's comments a bit closer (via The National)

quote:

Rajoy said quite categorically that if the UK leaves the EU, then Scotland leaves with it. He has ruled out any possibility of Scotland managing to remain a part of the EU while also remaining a part of the UK. He also said that the EU cannot enter negotiations with a part of a state so that it can remain within the EU even though the state it is a part of has just voted to leave. But Rajoy said nothing at all about the European status of an independent Scotland.

Spain's position seems to be opposition to non constitutionally-mandated secession only

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
White paper on Brexit is out:

https://twitter.com/nickeardleybbc/status/827135357544169475

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Pissflaps posted:

On this timeline, it will probably happen, but there will be a Dublin-based terrorist movement trying to reverse unification.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Zephro posted:

How can the loving Northern Ireland Affairs Committee be so loving clueless about something that's utterly obvious to anyone with a brain cell and who's been paying attention to British history for the past few decades

I mean gently caress me how is it news that there will need to be border controls between the EU and the UK when the UK leaves the EU.

Magical thinking, plus Theresa May outright lying to the public, and some people going along with that for the sake of political expedience

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Zephro posted:

- Banning local authorities from borrowing to build council houses, with the borrowing secured against future rents. This is how council house-building was financed for decades but it's been illegal since the 1980s

The trick is the government only inteferes if it will raise prices. It has no interest in lowering them, because homeowners vote.

I am not from the UK, and I didn't know this, but jesus christ that's depressing. Which I suppose is to be expected of Britain in the 80s.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Zephro posted:

Maybe they aren't clueless and they're making a big deal out of stupid poo poo like dog customs unions in a very weak attempt to pressure the UK government which at least under Tess de Villiers would not have any of it (James Brokenshire does come off like a thick oval office though).

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Zephro posted:

- Failing to reform the planning system, which is a huge interferece in the housing market because it says there are large tracts of the country upon which you can't build houses no matter how severe the demand is
- Things like Help to Buy and LISAs and shared-ownership schemes, all of which literally and directly spend tax revenue to prop up house prices.

The fuckin planning system is not a barrier to building houses, that is a MASSIVE lie the building firms love to perpetuate.

At the moment, if you want to build pretty much anything, you can do it, and if a local government says no, as soon as you threaten to take them to court expensively they pretty much have to cave unless it is provably in the best interests of tax payers to fight the case with an assumption the council will win (which is very seldom forthcoming).

Council planning offices take the loving piss when it comes to your average person wanting to put a conservatory up, but if you have the money to build 200 houses you can build your 200 houses.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

El Pollo Blanco posted:

I am not from the UK, and I didn't know this, but jesus christ that's depressing. Which I suppose is to be expected of Britain in the 80s.
OK, that was slightly strongly put - it was illegal under Thatcher. Labour made it slightly less illegal by imposing a cap on how much councils could borrow, but it's a very low cap which is why almost no council housing has been built for 30+ years

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
I'll probably grab the graphs/charts from the White Paper as they're the easiest to digest. Here's the immigration one for starters, since it's immediately relevant:

HJB fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Feb 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

jBrereton posted:

The fuckin planning system is not a barrier to building houses, that is a MASSIVE lie the building firms love to perpetuate.
The green belt is designed to stop housing being built wherever you want, and planning rules stop you (for instance) building a giant extension that blocks your neighbour's light. Both are "interfering" in the housing market. Interference isn't always bad, but the housing market is tightly controlled and not anything even remotely resembling a free market. There is plenty of government interference. Some of it is useful and desirable (like safety regulations), some of it isn't (Help to Buy), almost all of it makes prices higher than they'd otherwise be.

• Locked thread