Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Well, on first skimming of the document it's a load of meaningless arse-wash, as to be expected.

As pertains to the NI border issues (Section 4 and Appendix B), there's absolutely zero substantive information there, just a parroting of May's "seamless, frictionless" rubbish. NI is hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

WeAreTheRomans posted:

One might have thought the path of least resistance would have been some special concessions being made in return for Britain not throwing all its toys out of the European pram, but welp here we are

I have heard that Hollande, Merkel and the various bigwigs in Brussels offered Cameron a renegotiation of Britain's from full membership to associate partnership, whereby we would still pay the dues and retain access to the markets, with a fudge on free movement to placate that element of the Leave base.

Of course, Cameron had just done the impossible and won a majority, so he was like, "Nah, man, it's all good, I've got this," and settled for the deal he got, which I personally didn't think was bad but was never going to be good enough for anyone else.

I believe Osborne was all for the proposition, but Osborne was always against the referendum in the first place from what I've heard.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
Anyone wondering about what a post-Brexit ROI/NI border might look like, something like the Swedish-Norwegian border is probably the best possible outcome:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p04gw07s

"Delays can be as little as half an hour"

Norway, of course, is in the Single Market whereas Britain won't be, which is quite a big problem with copying that model.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Feb 2, 2017

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Wheat Loaf posted:

I have heard that Hollande, Merkel and the various bigwigs in Brussels offered Cameron a renegotiation of Britain's from full membership to associate partnership, whereby we would still pay the dues and retain access to the markets, with a fudge on free movement to placate that element of the Leave base.

Of course, Cameron had just done the impossible and won a majority, so he was like, "Nah, man, it's all good, I've got this," and settled for the deal he got, which I personally didn't think was bad but was never going to be good enough for anyone else.

I believe Osborne was all for the proposition, but Osborne was always against the referendum in the first place from what I've heard.

Yeah, I think that should serve as an instructive example of how the seemingly obvious sensible bureacratic option can be completely derailed by one thick posh oval office trying to secure power

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
Okay, here's an Imgur gallery of the charts - http://imgur.com/a/kMnoV

This is the most visually interesting one:

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

feedmegin posted:

The first thing that happens if Labour builds a ton of council housing is that the Tories run on a platform of 'Right to Buy Two: Buy Harder' in the next election and win the election by flogging off all that housing, meanwhile blaming Labour for the tax rises needed to build all of said houses.

so would you argue that they shouldn't have built all those council houses in the post-war boom?

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
Labour MPs who did not vote
Diane Abbott (Hackney North)
Roberta Blackman-Woods (City of Durham)
Geraint Davies (Swansea West)
Pat Glass ( NW Durham)
Kate Green (Stretford and Urmston)
Margaret Hodge (Barking)
George Howarth (Knowsley)
Sir Gerald Kaufman (Manchester, Gorton)
Chris Leslie (Nottingham East)
Ian Mearns (Gateshead)
Angela Smith (Penistone and Stocksbridge)

Liberal Democrat MPs who did not vote
Norman Lamb (North Norfolk)
Greg Mulholland (Leeds North West)

SNP MPs who did not vote
Callum McCaig (Aberdeen South)
Corri Wilson (Ayr, Carrick and Cumnock)

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Zephro posted:

Anyone wondering about what a post-Brexit ROI/NI border might look like, something like the Swedish-Norwegian border is probably the best possible outcome:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p04gw07s

"Delays can be as little as half an hour"

Norway, of course, is in the Single Market whereas Britain won't be, which is quite a big problem with copying that model.

Yeah, it's an interesting comparison, but since Norway and Sweden are both Schengen and also part of the Nordic Passport Union you probably can't extrapolate too much other than it will definitely be worse than that.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Regarde Aduck posted:

Well it's game over then. The papers not only control the narrative but directly control our politicians.

Yeah this is pretty alarming.

I expect it probably comes pretty directly from Death To Traitors relatively sluggish condemnation with the whole "this was some freak accident nobody could've seen coming" thing stapled on it.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Well, on first skimming of the document it's a load of meaningless arse-wash, as to be expected.

As pertains to the NI border issues (Section 4 and Appendix B), there's absolutely zero substantive information there, just a parroting of May's "seamless, frictionless" rubbish. NI is hosed.
Still don't really see why we won't just see a tightening of border controls out of Northern Ireland but maintain the lack of an internal border on the island.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Sion posted:

Pat Glass ( NW Durham)
Margaret Hodge (Barking)
Ian Mearns (Gateshead)

SNP MPs who did not vote

Word is that Abbott was pretty seriously unwell, so we can't draw any political conclusions from that one.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

spectralent posted:

I expect it probably comes pretty directly from Death To Traitors relatively sluggish condemnation with the whole "this was some freak accident nobody could've seen coming" thing stapled on it.

Wouldn't be surprised because the Daily Mail subsequently printed a story which, for all intents and purposes, attempted to shift part of the blame for Jo Cox's murder onto Jo Cox herself so nothing is beneath them at this point.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Yeah, it's an interesting comparison, but since Norway and Sweden are both Schengen and also part of the Nordic Passport Union you probably can't extrapolate too much other than it will definitely be worse than that.
Yeah exactly, it's a real-life example of how this sort of thing works except that Norway is closer to Europe than Britain will be after Brexit so whatever they negotiate won't be as good as this. So those half-hour delays are likely to be a lot worse in practise.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

jBrereton posted:

Still don't really see why we won't just see a tightening of border controls out of Northern Ireland but maintain the lack of an internal border on the island.

ok

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Darth Walrus posted:

Word is that Abbott was pretty seriously unwell, so we can't draw any political conclusions from that one.

The further word is she threw a sicky.

clear eyes full farts
Jul 3, 2007

the uk is just awful
It's a fake democracy
with free education and healthcare as long as you are a dosser and I am trapped here :(

jBrereton posted:

unionists would go mental if that happened, also it would still mean there would be in effect an open border with the eu

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Regarde Aduck posted:

Well it's game over then. The papers not only control the narrative but directly control our politicians.

no I'm sure someone will appear to tell us again that actually there's nothing wrong with the behaviour of the media and absolutely no reason to incite protest, peaceful or violent, against them

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Sion posted:

#LibDemFightBack

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

clear eyes full farts posted:

unionists would go mental if that happened, also it would still mean there would be in effect an open border with the eu
Things the UK government does not care about :

- Rocks getting chucked at PSNI on the Twelfth because Nigel fuckin Dodds wound people up about ID checks at ports and airports and how it's Impossible To Be Bridish Nowadays.

Things the UK government does care about :

- Not really wanting to erect a politically contentious and potentially embarrassing border given all the tax based tomfoolery that happens between the north and south already.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

clear eyes full farts posted:

That's OK, they already are mental.

Also, the MPs who claim they wanted to vote against yesterday but were scared to can gently caress off. What stunning cowardice. You're meant to be leaders. Act like it.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Independent (remain): "The complete list of MPs who opposed the Government's Brexit Bill"
Mail (brexit): "How did YOUR MP vote in last night's crucial Brexit Bill? The politicians who voted to start the Article 50 talks... and the Remoaners who tried to block it"

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Prince John posted:

#LibDemFightBack

Surprise, Liberal democrats are piss stain yellow.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Sion posted:

Surprise, Liberal democrats are piss stain yellow.
Yes it's the Lib Dems who are the useless cowards here lol

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

jBrereton posted:

Agreed. Couldn't even whip all of their useless MPs to vote for the one thing their party is meant to stand for.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I definitely want to focus on the LIb dems and their 8 MPs on this issue.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
A full two ninths of Lib Dems effectively backed the government by abstaining. Shocking.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Oddly enough it's looking probable that Nick Clegg will lose his seat because of an argument in Sheffield over lack of affordable housing for students.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Sion posted:

Pat Glass ( NW Durham)
Margaret Hodge (Barking)
Ian Mearns (Gateshead)

SNP MPs who did not vote

for the curious, a few minutes with chris hanretty's estimates:

diane abbott must be having a really bad migraine

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Or a hangover

https://twitter.com/eyespymp/status/826503920075829252

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

I definitely want to focus on the LIb dems and their 8 MPs on this issue.

Well, there's no real need to restrict ourselves to just one party behaving shittly, and I think this thread has gone over the ground of how loving terrible Corbyn's handling of this has been.

learnincurve posted:

Oddly enough it's looking probable that Nick Clegg will lose his seat because of an argument in Sheffield over lack of affordable housing for students.

At last, some good news in this trashfire country. Would he lose it as in not be their candidate? Or as in a Tory will replace him?

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Feb 2, 2017

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

ronya posted:

for the curious, a few minutes with chris hanretty's estimates:

diane abbott must be having a really bad migraine

Man, if Swansea West only voted 42% Leave then Swansea East must have voted pretty heavily to leave since Swansea was leave overall :smith:

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Oh wow, just check out this salacious gossip!

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

forkboy84 posted:

Well, there's no real need to restrict ourselves to just one party behaving shittly, and I think this thread has gone over the ground of how loving terrible Corbyn's handling of this has been.
Seeing as a fifth of Labour MPs defied a three line whip, 22% of the Lib Dems not voting seems pretty tame.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

J_RBG posted:

Oh wow, just check out this salacious gossip!

The night before she was 'too ill' to vote on the Brexit Bill.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

jBrereton posted:

Seeing as a fifth of Labour MPs defied a three line whip, 22% of the Lib Dems not voting seems pretty tame.

Yes, but Labour aren't a one policy party. Liberals abstaining on Brexit would be like Nats abstaining on Scottish independence.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Baron Corbyn posted:

Man, if Swansea West only voted 42% Leave then Swansea East must have voted pretty heavily to leave since Swansea was leave overall :smith:

hanretty's estimate for Swansea East is 62.1%

I am not familiar enough with the town to know why there might be such a sharp divergence - Hanretty's estimates are driven by demographic statistics, so it must be pretty sharply different

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

jBrereton posted:

Too afraid of voting against it because it would impact their chances in an election. Too afraid to show up and vote because maybe the taxi driver on the way in would have been mean to them. Just because there were bigger collectives of useless cowards doesn't mean that there's isn't shame enough to go around.

Darth Walrus posted:

Abbott has proven herself as being loving unwell for a long time.

She was in the building and then, at 5 PM was taken ill. Unless she started to bleed from her loving pores, she should have stayed to vote on the matter. If Abbott ever complains about voter turnout again, we'll be able to point at this.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

forkboy84 posted:

Yes, but Labour aren't a one policy party. Liberals abstaining on Brexit would be like Nats abstaining on Scottish independence.
The Lib Dems aren't a one policy party either. Brexit is very important to them but then so is stuff like PR or surveillance.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

jBrereton posted:

The Lib Dems aren't a one policy party either. Brexit is very important to them but then so is stuff like PR or surveillance.

The vote wasn't on PR or surveillance so what's their excuse?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
https://twitter.com/i/moments/827149090614079489

Good spot that.

• Locked thread