Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Media powerhouse barstool sports

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Patron
Jul 9, 2011

Philly Philly

Can't wait for this.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
https://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/team-yards-after-catch-allowed/2016/

The Falcons defense is the worst in the league at stopping yards after catch. The Patriots are #1.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

https://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/team-yards-after-catch-allowed/2016/

The Falcons defense is the worst in the league at stopping yards after catch. The Patriots are #1.

NC.

gently caress the Patriots. That is all.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
While that's true, the Patriots also played perhaps the easiest slate of offenses of any team this season. Everyone has trouble stopping the Falcons after the catch.

I'm most curious about whether the Pats front 7 will be able to stop Freeman/Coleman themselves, or whether those two deep safeties will need to start cheating up towards the line. If they have to, that opens things up for Atlanta. They ground out drives in the early going against GB and broke it open as soon as GB started adjusting to stop the death by a thousand cuts.

Overall I give the Pats the advantage because of their experience and superior performance on each side in the red zone, but Atlanta is way too good for the Pats to contain them all game.

\/\/\/ yeah and the last thing Quinn will do is blitz, he knows Brady will eat that alive. If he can get pressure with 4, that'll help. Going to be a tall order though.

shirts and skins fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Feb 2, 2017

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Blacktooth posted:

Quinn will do mostly the same except go for the sack. Brady is far from mobile, and does not take hits well.

Have you watched Brady in the pocket at all this season? He is more than capable of moving around to avoid a sack. He's not going to take off for any 10yd runs unless something really gets hosed up after the snap, but he definitely doesn't just stand there and take it like he did in 2013

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Brady played plenty of top defenses this season, and none of them were able to sack Brady to death like everybody fantasizes about doing. The Patriots are more likely to get to Ryan than the Falcons are to get to Brady - both teams have league average pass rushes, but Ryan's sack rate (6.5%) is much higher than Brady's (3.4%).

Neither team's pass rush is likely to be decisive though, they just aren't good enough. And neither team likes to blitz anyway, so outside the odd change-up I don't expect to see much of that from either team.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

https://twitter.com/SInow/status/827167219989753857

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Why is Josh Brown going on GMA? What is he hoping to accomplish?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Brown was already forgotten by everybody, so going on TV to rehabilitate his image really just reminds everyone of what hurt his image in the first place, making it completely counter-productive.

Then again, it's not like a white trash wife beater punter is the kind of person you expect to have good judgment I guess. :ms:

Blacktooth
Apr 13, 2007

Turdsdown Tom posted:

Have you watched Brady in the pocket at all this season? He is more than capable of moving around to avoid a sack. He's not going to take off for any 10yd runs unless something really gets hosed up after the snap, but he definitely doesn't just stand there and take it like he did in 2013

Of course I have. And yes, Brady has good pocket awareness. He has to have it. But, every team that has success against the Pats gets to Brady, and you can't not pass rush. Unlike the Pats, the Falcon's will not have to contain as well as collapse the pocket. As far as outcome, we won't know till Sunday.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

sean10mm posted:

Brady played plenty of top defenses this season, and none of them were able to sack Brady to death like everybody fantasizes about doing. The Patriots are more likely to get to Ryan than the Falcons are to get to Brady - both teams have league average pass rushes, but Ryan's sack rate (6.5%) is much higher than Brady's (3.4%).

Neither team's pass rush is likely to be decisive though, they just aren't good enough. And neither team likes to blitz anyway, so outside the odd change-up I don't expect to see much of that from either team.

I still don't think it'll be huge sack numbers that will due Brady in, it will be consistent hurries and pressures. Atlanta was the 11th best pass rushing team in the league based on this article and distance to QB measurable :shrug:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000781911/article/denver-broncos-lead-list-of-top10-pass-rushing-teams

It is my understanding that Green Bay has a much better OLine than New England and they were consistently able to generate pressure on Rodgers. Seattle's line is laughable, which would explain why Atlanta was harassing Wilson every drop back.

I don't think anyone is expecting there to be a 6 sack game by any team, but consistent pressure is going to go a long way. On the Atlanta side, I'd be much more concerned if Jones and Collins were still on the roster.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

I did naht hit her, it's bullshit, it's not true, I did naht hit her, I did nahhht!

Oh hai Mark

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Hell yea Don Vito and Freddie Gibbs.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
When was the last time everyone thought there'd be a shootout superbowl and it was?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

weird Asian candy posted:

It is my understanding that Green Bay has a much better OLine than New England

Not this year, no.

They are way better than last year, and probably a good deal better than 2014, when they didn't fold against a much better Seattle defense.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Feb 2, 2017

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Everyone shutup and throw their money at this:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mendheim/mutant-football-league-mfl

Jerome Agricola
Apr 11, 2010

Seriously,

who dat?

So how manyeth a time is it that someone is trying to resurrect this?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Barnwell wrote up a very long preview of the Pats - Falcons game. Pretty much breaks down every matchup and covers a ton of possibilities about how they'll play each other:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18599645/barnwell-super-bowl-li-preview-new-england-patriots-atlanta-falcons

quote:

The wild card, as always with Brady and the Patriots, is the opponent getting interior pressure. In the divisional round, the Texans had a lot of success lining up edge rushers Jadeveon Clowney and Whitney Mercilus in the middle of their defense against the Patriots' interior linemen, particularly in the first half. Clowney blew up a screen, and Mercilus spun past center David Andrews for a drive-ending sack. But the Steelers, as Volin also noted, mysteriously opted against rushing Bud Dupree or James Harrison from similar spots during the conference championship game.

The Falcons had a useful interior pass-rusher in Adrian Clayborn, but he went down with a season-ending biceps tear in the first half of the divisional-round win over the Seahawks. Beasley could line up over center, but it seems unlikely the Falcons would move him there. Atlanta occasionally shifts him inside before the snap to serve as a spy on opposing quarterbacks, and he picked up a couple of sacks by closing on scrambling passers in that role, but he seems locked on the right side of the offense.

The player who could have the most impact as an interior pass-rusher -- and the one who has been at the heart of Atlanta's dynamic defense over the past two games -- is rookie linebacker Deion Jones. He might be the most important player for the Falcons' defense in this game, given his ability to make an impact in multiple ways. Just as it's difficult to imagine Atlanta winning this game without generating pressure, it's hard to figure out how they'll succeed against the Patriots' offense if Jones doesn't play well.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000
In high school McAfee found out about a kicking competition in Miami. He borrowed 100 bucks from a friend and headed to an illegal poker club and ended up winning 1400 to fund the trip and entered the competition. He made 9 consecutive field goals starting at the 25, adding 5 yards each time. A West Virginia recruiter offered him a scholarship.

On draft day, thinking nobody ever drafts a kicker, he got completely poo poo faced at a draft party, when his phone rang he drunkenly answered it and had a drunk guy conversation with Bill Polian about punting. The assistant gets on the line and was beginning to go through available jersey numbers, starting with 1, and he immediately goes "I'll take that one" to quicken the process so he could get off the phone and continue drinking.

He did this:

Then posted:
https://twitter.com/PatMcAfeeShow/status/392314989395988480

He also kicked a 67 yard punt.....

then posted:
https://twitter.com/PatMcAfeeShow/status/765171305893203968

One night while out clubbing, he got a little warm and decided to drunkenly swim in a canal. He was arrested. When someone on twitter challenged him to a swimming competition:
https://twitter.com/PatMcAfeeShow/status/616805082466627584

He once onside kicked to himself. He had the freedom to call a fake punt anytime he felt like it.

Pat McAfee is better then your punter.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Athanatos posted:

My punter is the only one to throw a TD in a playoff game, appeared on American Ninja Warrior and has had his face smashed multiple times and keeps on kicking. All the while dealing with the setbacks of being both ginger and Canadian. :colbert:

Jerome Agricola posted:

So how manyeth a time is it that someone is trying to resurrect this?

This is the second KS campaign, but they've scaled down their campaign to something more reasonable and they actually have something playable now.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Tomorrow is Friday and then the day after is Saturday. I'm going to blackout Friday night and Saturday night so today is technically Super Bowl eve guys 😎

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
his soccer-style onside kick to himself right down the middle of the field was really cool

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Athanatos posted:

Yeah, no poo poo.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

4 RING SHRIMP posted:

Tomorrow is Friday and then the day after is Saturday. I'm going to blackout Friday night and Saturday night so today is technically Super Bowl eve guys 😎

Same, but with prescription painkillers. :dominic:

I'm having surgery tomorrow, so not as fun as it sounds!

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Kalli posted:

Barnwell wrote up a very long preview of the Pats - Falcons game. Pretty much breaks down every matchup and covers a ton of possibilities about how they'll play each other:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18599645/barnwell-super-bowl-li-preview-new-england-patriots-atlanta-falcons

I liked this until the end, where he predicted the Patriots win 34-17. I mean, I'd like that to happen, but the Falcons being outscored 2:1 seems like a bit of a stretch to me. I would expect them to out-score the Steelers, who were a garbage road team this year, and who lost their #1 back immediately, and spent the whole game just being as dumb as possible in general.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

whypick1 posted:

My punter is the only one to throw a TD in a playoff game, appeared on American Ninja Warrior and has had his face smashed multiple times and keeps on kicking. All the while dealing with the setbacks of being both ginger and Canadian. :colbert:

Jon Ryan owns because his level of athleticism (aside from the obvious kicking ability) shows us average Joes exactly what it would look like if we were put into an NFL game.

https://youtu.be/V8-DIl3be9A

Touchdown!

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Athanatos posted:

But does he play board games with Wil Wheaton?

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

I really need a hi-res version of this, but I'm not sure it really exists

GonadTheBallbarian fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Feb 2, 2017

Nov 6, 2002

http://www.wcax.com/story/34408831/maine-governor-continues-boycott-of-patriots-super-bowls

quote:

Maine governor continues boycott of Patriots Super Bowls

PORTLAND, Maine (AP) - Another year, another Patriots Super Bowl appearance that Maine Gov. Paul LePage has no interest in watching.

The Republican governor of New England's biggest state says during a WGAN-AM radio appearance on Thursday that he won't watch the big game against the Atlanta Falcons.

LePage says he continues to have "a real hard time getting over what Bob Kraft did to the state of Connecticut." The Patriots owner terminated a deal to move the franchise to Hartford in 1999.

The governor also says the Patriots were wrong to have selected convicted murderer Aaron Hernandez when it knew "he was a bad guy from the get go."

LePage also bashed the Patriots before their appearance in the Super Bowl two years ago. He's a fan of the New York Giants.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

I really need a hi-res version of this, but I'm not sure it really exists

Nov 6, 2002

sean10mm posted:

I would expect them to out-score the Steelers, who were a garbage road team this year, and who lost their #1 back immediately, and spent the whole game just being as dumb as possible in general.

Having watched that game now for a second time, someone on the Steelers should be fired for what they were doing on defense.

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me

Blitz7x posted:

Media powerhouse barstool sports

They have a comedy central show now so if that sticks get ready to see more of them

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.
Only good thing about the Raiders:

https://twitter.com/NFL/status/827230147975602176

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
The cool punter phenomenon is a welcome change to the NFL and we need more Marquette Kings and Pat McAfees

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

There are a lot of cool things about the Raiders friendo

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Blitz7x posted:

There are a lot of cool things about the Raiders friendo

Disagree

Jerome Agricola
Apr 11, 2010

Seriously,

who dat?

Febreeze posted:

The cool punter phenomenon is a welcome change to the NFL and we need more Marquette Kings and Pat McAfees

O/u on days left before kluwe post that em feat dre song.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Jerome Agricola posted:

O/u on days left before kluwe post that em feat dre song.

Kluwe is basically listening to Muse on repeat at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Beware the Tryhard punter.

• Locked thread