Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

to contrast in a rare work un-sec fuckup ive managed to get my good reference schannel config into the VM template used for server builds so now all our new servers will get an A on ssl labs out of the box.

thanks to BangersInMyKnickers for the inspiration and the good posts re schannel config on windows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

np, glad people can make use of it

now if my lovely contractor would upgrade this garbage oracle/apache/openssl .9.8 stack that can only handle tls 1.0/3des with a million CVEs my qualys scans will stop coming back as hot garbage too

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

lol, same but SAP and JRE 6.x only liking DES kerberos keytabs

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Aquarium of Lies
Feb 5, 2005

sad cutie
:justtrans:

she/her
Taco Defender
today I found out that the way my predecessor wrote web apis, it's all vulnerable to rces. tomorrow I plan to patch out the really obvious vulns but I'm excited to see what else he has in store!

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

infernal machines posted:

atomicthumbs posted:

printers are a trash fire

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
https://twitter.com/xuf_/status/827253174306217984

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
should have bounced through internic instead, then they could have gone back and deleted the logs afterwards

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender
i have a grey that doesn't get why teamviewer is idiotic

Samizdata posted:

I personally prefer TeamViewer. Easy to use, multiplatform, bandwidth friendly and requires 2FA when needed.

OSI bean dip posted:

TeamViewer is a terrible piece of software to suggest. By installing the application you're allowing a third-party server to control access to your PC and the 2FA is only good enough in verifying that the access is being done by you and not someone else using the same credentials. This however does not protect you from attacks via vulnerabilities and whatnot found within their infrastructure. There is a lot of speculation that TeamViewer wasn't forthcoming on how people got breached.

Samizdata posted:

You seem pretty determined you know everything, so I wonder why you even started the thread.

yes. let's have a third party service provide access to my desktop because it's secured by 2fa

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
3rd parties are better than opening 3389 or god forbid whatever port VNC uses imo

maybe not teamviewer tho

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I just don't get it. Why would you make a thread about a topic you already know things about? And try to educate other people in such a thread? It makes no sense I tell you.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

wyoak posted:

3rd parties are better than opening 3389 or god forbid whatever port VNC uses imo

maybe not teamviewer tho

my suggestion is ssh tunnelling really

Jabor posted:

I just don't get it. Why would you make a thread about a topic you already know things about? And try to educate other people in such a thread? It makes no sense I tell you.

reading comprehension isn't this grey's specialty

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker
https://twitter.com/ManishEarth/status/827381855162732548

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

That's not the first time that poster has done that either. He butted heads in there before over AV.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

SperginMcBadposter posted:

That's not the first time that poster has done that either. He butted heads in there before over AV.

he seems to think that 2fa is new in teamviewer too when it has been around for at least four years now

teamviewer is the only thing i have ever asked to have blocked on our application firewall because of the way it pretty much violates our access control methods

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

booooooooo

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

OSI bean dip posted:

yes. let's have a third party service provide access to my desktop because it's secured by 2fa

I dont understand how that thread is so good at bringing out weird views on security.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Jabor posted:

should have bounced through internic instead, then they could have gone back and deleted the logs afterwards
hee

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

apseudonym posted:

I dont understand how that thread is so good at bringing out weird views on security.
easy: sh/sc is full of self-important computer janitors

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

apseudonym posted:

Honeypot

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

OSI bean dip posted:

i tried teamviewer for a week so i could use my compy from work without too much pain, but i kept coming home to find my computer awake, logged in, with the teamviewer control panel open and flattened the whole thing posthaste.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i use teamviewer for family computer janitoring, but only since they know how to use it

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

yeah, i use parallels access and gently caress if i'm ever changing. it is so loving convenient and i haven't heard of any breaches yet. still requires local passwords when actually connecting, too, though how that's actually enforced is an unknown

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

this is my new favorite tweet

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

OSI bean dip posted:

my suggestion is ssh tunnelling really

"I don't trust this software cause it has had vulnerabilities. Please use this software that has had vulnerabilities instead!"

it would be great if windows remote assistance actually worked cause it would eliminate all this 3rd party stuff.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Shaggar posted:

"I don't trust this software cause it has had vulnerabilities. Please use this software that has had vulnerabilities instead!"

it would be great if windows remote assistance actually worked cause it would eliminate all this 3rd party stuff.

are you trying to do your usual thing where you talk about a non-microsoft product as being a piece of poo poo? because openssh is fine

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
openssh has had plenty of vulnerabilities in the past and the idea you're presenting that because its linux its immune to attacks is absolutely retarded. You should use as much caution approaching access via openssh as you should access via teamviewer. same with rdp. I would never leave it open to the internet even if it is more secure than openssh.

also lol @ the idea that you're gonna have a remote user setup an ssh tunnel to you so you can access their machine.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
ssh is still better than teamviewer, teamviewer has vulnerabilities plus is controlled by a 3rd party

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Shaggar posted:

openssh has had plenty of vulnerabilities in the past and the idea you're presenting that because its linux its immune to attacks is absolutely retarded. You should use as much caution approaching access via openssh as you should access via teamviewer. same with rdp. I would never leave it open to the internet even if it is more secure than openssh.

also lol @ the idea that you're gonna have a remote user setup an ssh tunnel to you so you can access their machine.

lmfao @ u

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

is the chrome remoting extension bad in the same ways as TeamViewer?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Perplx posted:

ssh is still better than teamviewer, teamviewer has vulnerabilities plus is controlled by a 3rd party

the benefit of teamviewer is the lack of user knowledge required. SSH requires an autistic to use. teamviewer requires someone who can go to a website, type in a number, and click a button.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
if you're external users are all autistics then ssh is probably an appropriate choice but they also can probably figure out their problems themselves.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Shaggar posted:

you're just as loving dumb as the grey poster, shaggar. did you even read what my response was?

OSI bean dip posted:

Besides, it does not matter if you have 2FA enabled or not, it won't matter if somehow TeamViewer's own infrastructure is breached. What does the 2FA do for you when either the software is compromised or someone takes hold of one of their systems and then starts to go hog wild?

this is irrelevant to your dumbass points about openssh and its vulnerabilities. it's not like rdp hasn't had any?

shut the gently caress up and stop posting

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

OSI bean dip posted:

you're just as loving dumb as the grey poster, shaggar. did you even read what my response was?

shut the gently caress up and don't reply to shaggar

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Cocoa Crispies posted:

shut the gently caress up and don't reply to shaggar

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

OSI bean dip posted:

this is irrelevant to your dumbass points about openssh and its vulnerabilities. it's not like rdp hasn't had any?

what are you talking about. we're talking about remote assistance. this is for when the user is outside of the network and needs assistance, meaning they cant get into the network. are you going to walk them through setting up an ssh tunnel to you? seriously?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I mean I'm not surprised some autistic linux users cant comprehend normal users not being able to configure openssh but god drat you guys must not ever interact with humans ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Maybe you don't understand the problem scope here so lets walk through it. You have a remote user who is having problems and cant get into your network but they do have internet access. You don't want to just leave ports open on their machine and there are probably firewalls between you that you don't control anyway so you need a way to control their computer from outside of your network. The user doesn't know anything about computers. They're a normal human being. You need to provide them with a way to give you remote access with as little effort on their part as possible. So what are your options.

Windows remote assistance is supposed to exactly fulfill this mission, but it never loving works. its also windows specific. what if this person is using a linux like osx?

How about something like GoToMeeting? This actually works pretty well, but it means your user needs to be able to operate the presenter controls within GoToMeeting which is a tall ask.

This is the void that teamviewer fills. its like GoToMeeting/webex but they don't need to understand how to work the presenter controls. They go to a website and type in a thing and join the "meeting" and you fix their poo poo and then they close the "meeting".

• Locked thread