Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Judge Tesla posted:

Digimon World: Next Order is a very fun game but one of its core mechanics is rather harsh, your Digimon partners can drop dead after a certain amount of time and are reborn with higher base stats than before, now this isn't a bad thing but its kind of a bummer that my Devimon dropped dead just before I was due to enter a new area which forced me to spend more time training up the new guy only for my second Digimon to drop dead soon after and start the process all over again.

You can mitigate this when you level up with certain skill choices but its just annoying.

That's a thing in all of the Digimon games where you raise one digimon. I was playing Re:Digitize on my PSP and I've gotten hosed so hard after my Greymon died and I got a Gatomon who has no compatibility with any moves that I've collected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Testekill posted:

That's a thing in all of the Digimon games where you raise one digimon. I was playing Re:Digitize on my PSP and I've gotten hosed so hard after my Greymon died and I got a Gatomon who has no compatibility with any moves that I've collected.

In the original Digimon World there was an area where your digimon aged twice as fast. Guess what area sucked if you got lost in? Also it always sucked when you were in the middle of something, trying to unlock a specific digimon for your town and then your partner just dropped dead. Or turned into a numemon because it decided to poo poo on the floor three inches from the toilet.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Walton Simons posted:

I love XCOM and XCOM2, but I really struggle with the way it handles difficulty. If you lose, it gets harder and harder until you lose entirely. If you win, it gets easier. I'm struggling like hell in my XCOM2 campaign. I lost a mission so it triggered an event where my enemies get more armour. This likely contributed to me failing another mission, so the game has cut my regular income in half. Yes, punish losing, but come on.

When I first played XCOM I got smashed three or four times than suddenly I got good enough at the first 10 or so hours and the rest of the game was an absolute cakewalk with barely any tension.

You're supposed to feel that way in XCOM, like you're on the verge of losing all the time.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

poptart_fairy posted:

His AI is definitely dumber than your other companions. Fits his personality like a glove.

I'm so glad someone else noticed it, I was beginning to think I was going mad.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Sunswipe posted:

I'm so glad someone else noticed it, I was beginning to think I was going mad.

"This is Pierce. We purposefully programmed him wrong, as a joke."

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Tardcore posted:

I would take that as a complement, hbomberguy is cool

I think my favourite hbomb moment was in his vlog video when he's talking about how his Patreon shows clips and jokes that didn't fit in the main videos or were just too weird:

quote:

Although, I think you'd be fine with weird. After all *stands up slowly to reveal his t-shirt tucked into his boxer shorts and that he's wearing nothing else* I've been dressed like this this entire time and you DIDN'T NOTICE:byodood:

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Nuebot posted:

Or turned into a numemon because it decided to poo poo on the floor three inches from the toilet.

I wondered why my ToyAgumon turned into that green idiot, at least its dead now though.

You raise two partners at once in Next Order though so its not as bad but still annoying as said.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Judge Tesla posted:

I wondered why my ToyAgumon turned into that green idiot, at least its dead now though.

You raise two partners at once in Next Order though so its not as bad but still annoying as said.

Numemon is usually based on the number of "mistakes" you make, of which pooping is one. I had a weird moment in the first game where I had an angemon for the vaccine only dungeon, and right before I got there he took a poo poo on the floor and turned into a devimon. Because that's how that works, if an angemon hosed up they turned evil. Ruined that plan.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

That's a terrible retelling of Paradise Lost.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Nuebot posted:

Numemon is usually based on the number of "mistakes" you make, of which pooping is one. I had a weird moment in the first game where I had an angemon for the vaccine only dungeon, and right before I got there he took a poo poo on the floor and turned into a devimon. Because that's how that works, if an angemon hosed up they turned evil. Ruined that plan.

Pooping on the floor is pretty evil. That's why dogs go to hell.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Who What Now posted:

"This is Pierce. We purposefully programmed him wrong, as a joke."

Fine. But if I hear one more friggin' squeak, I'm gonna take his shoes and shove them up his...

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Well, it's a completely self-aware series that has a difficulty which goes from "easy" to "broken" the second you upgrade your own character, let alone use the AI. A single moron among the bunch is hardly game breaking.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

I decided to restart MGSGZ and MGSV because of this thread and I now remember how grindy that poo poo became when Konami decided to embrace microtransactions. Base building is artificially gated by arbitrary time and money sinks and for some loving reason I need to be online in order to access the bulk of my money, resources and rewards from singleplayer dispatch missions.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

im pooping! posted:

I decided to restart MGSGZ and MGSV because of this thread and I now remember how grindy that poo poo became when Konami decided to embrace microtransactions. Base building is artificially gated by arbitrary time and money sinks and for some loving reason I need to be online in order to access the bulk of my money, resources and rewards from singleplayer dispatch missions.

Its even better when the servers are down so you get penalized anyways. Usually it happens at night... except I work a closing shift so it always happens when I get home and I can't play that night because my GMP will be in the red.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
the worst thing about it is that you can't opt out of that aspect of online if you don't want to get locked out of your stock. it's the difference between having 2 trucks and having 25.

I hate that I've sent legions of s+ soldiers to this one dispatch mission and it still has the success rate of 66% and always fails.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
I dug out my 3DS and started playing DKC Returns again, but the controls are kind of awful. The roll has an awkward delay and never goes quite as far as you want it to. I've lost so many lives to trash mobs because I start rolling too late and get hit during the spin-up, or too early and stop before hitting another enemy in line. It's also super obvious that this was a console port, because I keep jumping into off-screen hazards. It's incredibly frustrating.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Inco posted:

I dug out my 3DS and started playing DKC Returns again, but the controls are kind of awful. The roll has an awkward delay and never goes quite as far as you want it to. I've lost so many lives to trash mobs because I start rolling too late and get hit during the spin-up, or too early and stop before hitting another enemy in line. It's also super obvious that this was a console port, because I keep jumping into off-screen hazards. It's incredibly frustrating.

I started playing DKC3 on my 3DS the other week since it's the one I played the least as a kid, but...compared to 2 and even the original, DKC 3 is just not a very good game. You can point to a couple parts of it and say 'oh yeah this boss fight was awesome', or 'that level was pretty cool', but the first two were such incredibly tight games where every aspect was polished to the highest degree that this one really kinda sucks by comparison for just being okay.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Inco posted:

Yeah, the rolling is really bad and I have no idea why. To get good times and do obviously intended tricks, you also need to abuse the hell out of the roll-jump, which propels you forward at almost uncontrollable speed, and you better believe you have to plan everything way in advance (especially on 3DS), because if you don't do the "intended" jumps, you'll just get hurled into the abyss.

I really want to like the game, but man is it ever too clunky for what it demands of you.

food court bailiff posted:

I started playing DKC3 on my 3DS the other week since it's the one I played the least as a kid, but...compared to 2 and even the original, DKC 3 is just not a very good game. You can point to a couple parts of it and say 'oh yeah this boss fight was awesome', or 'that level was pretty cool', but the first two were such incredibly tight games where every aspect was polished to the highest degree that this one really kinda sucks by comparison for just being okay.
I also agree with this. I hate DKC3 to an unreasonable degree though, because I put so many hours into it as a kid but so many of them were spent in frustration trying to get everything, and looking back I realize it's simply because DKC3 is not that good. It's not terrible or anything, but it's most especially not DKC2 at all.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Finally got around to playing Far Cry 4, because my computer isn't garbage anymore.

While I was driving to some mission objective or whatever, I just automatically took a base without being seen because an elephant or some wild animals had killed everyone there, or something else had happened, I'm not even sure what.

I realize to a lot of people that would be a positive, but it just kind of completely demoralized me from ever playing the game again. I enjoy sneaking around and was having an okay time up until then, but it just killed the fun of the game for me. I can't fully articulate why, but I felt robbed.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
This isn't really a solution to your problem, but there is an option to reset all of the bases back to hostile, so you can do that later if you like.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Trick Question posted:

Finally got around to playing Far Cry 4, because my computer isn't garbage anymore.

While I was driving to some mission objective or whatever, I just automatically took a base without being seen because an elephant or some wild animals had killed everyone there, or something else had happened, I'm not even sure what.

I realize to a lot of people that would be a positive, but it just kind of completely demoralized me from ever playing the game again. I enjoy sneaking around and was having an okay time up until then, but it just killed the fun of the game for me. I can't fully articulate why, but I felt robbed.

It's the same reason no one likes the ending of fable 2. Having poo poo taken from you and being done for you, but still being rewarded for it feels stupid. I mean if you engineered the elephant attack or whatever, you'd probably be laughing your rear end off at how you managed to pull that off. But if you're just riding by and the game is like "Yo, have a free base." It's weird and doesn't feel as rewarding.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
I've beaten that game, and never had anything like that happen. I think it's a point in the game's favor, that its elements are dynamic enough for weird things like that to happen on its own.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
It's happened to me, although I was wandering around the perimeter trying to mark the guards when one of them aggroed an elephant for no loving reason at all and it proceeded to destroy everyone.

It was really funny to watch although kinda disappointing to miss out on capturing the base because that is the most fun part of FC4. But after I finished the game I just reset all outposts and cleared them again.

Elephants are insanely strong and pretty much nothing in the first part of the game can bring them down, which really becomes apparent when you take the elephant rider perk. It's almost too easy.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Nuebot posted:

It's the same reason no one likes the ending of fable 2. Having poo poo taken from you and being done for you, but still being rewarded for it feels stupid. I mean if you engineered the elephant attack or whatever, you'd probably be laughing your rear end off at how you managed to pull that off. But if you're just riding by and the game is like "Yo, have a free base." It's weird and doesn't feel as rewarding.

i hate fable 2 because it killed my dog near the third act and then cheapened that loss immediately by offering to resurrect him as an endgame choice.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Action Tortoise posted:

i hate fable 2 because it killed my dog near the third act and then cheapened that loss immediately by offering to resurrect him as an endgame choice.

And then it calls you a selfish jerk if you choose to wish for your dog or money instead of all those hundreds of thousands of people who died but you literally never get to see, hear or interact with in any way shape or form.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Action Tortoise posted:

You can also resurrect your dog in one of the DLC's for Fable 2. :v:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I'm still a bit confused by the bad guy killing my gay husband and shooting our adopted children so my bloodline would be severed.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Trick Question posted:

Yeah, I'd feel robbed too, if I didn't even get to watch the AI impotently flail as it tried to defend itself against an elephant or a streak of tigers or whatever FC4 has for hostile wildlife.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

I'm still a bit confused by the bad guy killing my gay husband and shooting our adopted children so my bloodline would be severed.
lmao

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

poptart_fairy posted:

He's trying to be all inclusive and tolerant towards his victims. Imagine the hours of paperwork with HR trying to explain that you considered a homosexual not worthy of being killed, when you admit that you would kill a straight wife/husband!

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

RyokoTK posted:

This isn't really a solution to your problem, but there is an option to reset all of the bases back to hostile, so you can do that later if you like.

Every outpost has a mission to trigger to do it again individually if you want to get a better score (e.g. get undetected if you went loud before). It's no reason to stop playing entirely, FC4 is good!

RagnarokAngel has a new favorite as of 10:56 on Feb 2, 2017

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
The thing dragging Far Cry 4 down for me is I spent dozens of hours on FC3 and it just feels like the same thing again but somehow much less interesting. I hope FC5 goes back to the tropical island holiday type environment.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Inco posted:

At least it's a button on the 3DS. The original Wii version made you waggle to roll.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I said it before but man oh man in Resident Evil 7: The Molded loving suck hardcore and stop the game dead in it's tracks. The game goes from an amazing spooky haunted house, to a shooting gallery with enemies that ruin you incredibly fast and just loving gobble up every last shred of ammo you have. Two or three are okay, but there are way way WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too many of them.

I went into the basement with 5 shotgun shells, 28 pistol bullets and 10 special pistol bullets and STILL had to resort to my knife to kill the last two. What a loving awful idea

Edit: Also one for Fallout 4

So I'm being chased by some dudes WAY WAY over my level, whatever, I run into another building. Oh cool, so it's a small room and the enemy warped in there with me! Oh rad! Now I'm being killed literally the second I load back in. What an awesome and well put together game!

OldTennisCourt has a new favorite as of 17:23 on Feb 2, 2017

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

The current port of RE4 on Steam doesn't have a loving quick knife button, you have to hold space and then click. I'm pretty sure the old PC port had it, as well as like every other console port of the game. It's not like it actually takes longer to do in practice, it's just way more annoying, which makes the reasoning to drop it even weirder.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

OldTennisCourt posted:

Edit: Also one for Fallout 4

So I'm being chased by some dudes WAY WAY over my level, whatever, I run into another building. Oh cool, so it's a small room and the enemy warped in there with me! Oh rad! Now I'm being killed literally the second I load back in. What an awesome and well put together game!

Good to see that they have changed nothing from earlier Fallout games. Just had this happen to me in New Vegas, some Deathclaws from an end-game area somehow caught wind of me from the other side of a 16-foot-high rock wall and I couldn't seem to shake them in any way besides loading in a save from before I walked in to that area.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

food court bailiff posted:

The current port of RE4 on Steam doesn't have a loving quick knife button, you have to hold space and then click. I'm pretty sure the old PC port had it, as well as like every other console port of the game. It's not like it actually takes longer to do in practice, it's just way more annoying, which makes the reasoning to drop it even weirder.

Did they at least fix the graphics? I remember the first PC port of RE4 being released without any lighting effects or something ridiculous like that.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Did they at least fix the graphics? I remember the first PC port of RE4 being released without any lighting effects or something ridiculous like that.

I don't know, the last time I played RE4 was on the Wii and I haven't gotten very far in the new port but what I've seen looks alright-ish in that instantly recognizable "PC-port-of-a-decade-old-console-game" way.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Action Tortoise posted:

the worst thing about it is that you can't opt out of that aspect of online if you don't want to get locked out of your stock. it's the difference between having 2 trucks and having 25.

I hate that I've sent legions of s+ soldiers to this one dispatch mission and it still has the success rate of 66% and always fails.

I'm glad I was most of the way through MGSV before they started getting the online stuff in the game. Some patch moved 3/4 of my poo poo into online storage where it can't be accessed or sold, so I guess I played Grand Theft Afghanistan for no reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Yes it's an actually competent PC port. I believe Capcom ditched their "Let's outsource PC ports to random Chinese companies" during the PS3/360 era. Most of their games are made for PC first now then ported (they just hold off on the actual PC release cause reasons).