Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

The cuisinart he bought is solid, it's easy to use all pieces. I agree with most sets

Sorry yeah I was just saying in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Does anyone have any advice on juicers? My wife is really interested in getting one and I'm starting to do research on them and find out what ones are good value for the money and good value for the output, along with customer reviews and it's a lot to take in. Is there a juicing thread at all around here? I can't seem to find one.

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

I will leave you to flounder in your cesspool of primeval soup, you sad, lonely, little cowards.
Fun Shoe

rockcity posted:

Does anyone have any advice on juicers? My wife is really interested in getting one and I'm starting to do research on them and find out what ones are good value for the money and good value for the output, along with customer reviews and it's a lot to take in. Is there a juicing thread at all around here? I can't seem to find one.

IDK much about juicers, but I have this one and have really liked it the times I've used it. It's got 4.5 stars and is the #1 seller in centrifugal juicers on Amazon, and only costs $140. I don't remember why centrifugal is the way to go as opposed to another type of juicer, but I remember when I was researching that kind was supposed to be the best.

I use it to make pineapple juice and tomato juice for mixed drinks and cocktails and cooking and stuff- it's awesome!

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

https://www.juicero.com/

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Oh god, a juice Kuerig.

30 Goddamned Dicks posted:

IDK much about juicers, but I have this one and have really liked it the times I've used it. It's got 4.5 stars and is the #1 seller in centrifugal juicers on Amazon, and only costs $140. I don't remember why centrifugal is the way to go as opposed to another type of juicer, but I remember when I was researching that kind was supposed to be the best.

I use it to make pineapple juice and tomato juice for mixed drinks and cocktails and cooking and stuff- it's awesome!

That's where I've read mixed things. It seems like there are two main types, centrifugal and masticating. Centrifugal are faster and easier to clean but are louder and typically don't have as good of a yield. Masticating juicers are slower and more efficient, but sounds like they are a pain to clean. It sounds like juice from masticating juicers also has a better shelf life.

I'm not sure how much I'd use it myself, but she wants to try to get more vegetables into her diet and thinks she'd be more apt to do so juicing them. There is a juice bar by her yoga studio that she goes to often and she likes their juices a lot and wants to try doing it at home.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
Juice is really bad for you.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Neon Noodle posted:

Juice is really bad for you.

No, not really, but whole blended fruits and veggies are better for you.

Unless you have a medical condition where you can't tolerate fiber, you are much better off with a Vitamix.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Squashy Nipples posted:

No, not really, but whole blended fruits and veggies are better for you.

Unless you have a medical condition where you can't tolerate fiber, you are much better off with a Vitamix.

A Vitamix is what I myself would prefer, but I'm not sure it would get my wife to use it as much as straight juice would. It sounds like masticating juicers leave more fiber in the juice, so I tend to be leaning that way at the moment.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

For Christmas I got my wife the Kitchenaid Spiralizer/Slicer attachment for our stand mixer. We used it for the first time last night and it is A+++ worth the money. Very stout construction, simple to use, very few small parts to clean, and it worked like a drat charm. We had zucchini "pasta" for dinner last night and it was excellent.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Should I put a zojirushi or an instant pot on my wedding registry?

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
Personally I'd find the Instant pot more useful, even though I bought one 4 months ago on sale and it's still in the box. I've made rice about 10 times in the same time-frame and never once wished I had a machine to make rice. Rice is stupid simple.

You decision matrix should look like this:

Can you make rice without a Zojurushi? Yes
Can you make oxtail in an hour without an Instantpot? No.

Plus the instant pot can do rice and a bunch of other stuff too.

maniacripper fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jan 21, 2017

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Speleothing posted:

Should I put a zojirushi or an instant pot on my wedding registry?

Instant Pot Instant Pot Instant Pot

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Neon Noodle posted:

Instant Pot Instant Pot Instant Pot

Does anyone have tips for making various tomato sauces with an instant pot? I make a lot of sauces that just simmer on the stovetop for 30-45 min, but it seems like a pressure cooker might be good for recipes that take much longer. Does anyone have a goto recipe?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Yeah, but does the IP keep rice fresh for a week's worth of breakfast fried rice?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

What's so good about an instant pot instead of a normal pressure cooker?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

if you eat a lot of rice the zojirushi.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

fart simpson posted:

What's so good about an instant pot instead of a normal pressure cooker?
it's not and cannot get to a full 1 bar. Just easy.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

if you eat a lot of rice the zojirushi.

Agreed... I have both and I can't live without my Zoji. No, I can't make oxtail in under an hour without it, but I can just smack that poo poo in my dutch oven morning of and come out fine. I don't often care about shortening the time to make stuff that I do in my Instant Pot.

But I'm Asian and eat tonssss of rice. I have the Umami Zojirushi and it makes the most amazing umami white rice and GABA brown rice. I made 3 dry cups worth of brown rice the other day for onigiri, and my two brothers ate the whole pot. I can make this poo poo in an instant pot or on the stove, but they take so much work out of it and it's more of a regular day thing. It also keeps rice edible in the pot over a couple days if it's just my husband and I.

Niyqor
Dec 1, 2003

Paid for by the meat council of America
I have both and I use the Zoji more frequently. I eat a fair amount of rice though. I've only had an Instant Pot for about a month though so I'm still getting used to using it. I'm glad I have both. Put them both on the registry and let someone else decide which you get (maybe you'll get both!).

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
I don't own an instant pot, but my zojirushi is rad as hell.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I have a Zoji and a pressure cooker (12 qt Kuhn Rikon) and use the pressure cooker more. Risotto in a half hour is awesome.
I should eat more gaba brown rice instead :smith:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I just bought this blender (Cuisinart PowerEdge CBT-700)

And already I am in love. It is extremely powerful and I haven't detected any problems with it at all. It churns really well as it goes and I haven't observed any dead zones.

However, I was wondering, what are the best brands for different types of kitchen appliances and cookware?

I know to get a Kitchenaid mixer (and my mandolin is the same brand) and I'm now sold on my Cuisinart blender, but what about pots and pans? My parents swear Le Creuset is the best brand for it but I don't know if they're saying that because of experience or just because it's expensive/fancy.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Pick posted:

However, I was wondering, what are the best brands for different types of kitchen appliances and cookware?

I know to get a Kitchenaid mixer (and my mandolin is the same brand) and I'm now sold on my Cuisinart blender, but what about pots and pans? My parents swear Le Creuset is the best brand for it but I don't know if they're saying that because of experience or just because it's expensive/fancy.

The gold standard for pots and pans is All-Clad. They basically created the whole category of tri-ply/multi-clad cookware. That said, now that most cookware manufacturers offer their own versions of tri-ply/multi-clad cookware, all of them seem pretty good and almost comparable to All-Clad's performance at a fraction of the cost.

Le Creuset is mostly known for their expensive enameled cast iron dutch ovens. They have tri-ply cookware too, but they're expensive and if you're gonna blow a lot of money you might as well get All-Clad.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

I have a few All-Clad pans that I grabbed on sale as well as the Tramontina set you can get very cheap at Walmart and I don't think the increased cost of the former matches the increased quality. Unless money isn't really an issue, I would strongly recommend getting a less expensive core of quality try-ply pans and then supplement only as needed or desired with expensive All-Clad or similar. The AC pans do seem to be of somewhat better construction but it's not like my Tramontina stuff is falling apart. The biggest practical difference in my usage is the handle style but I am happy to use either, which is actually a point worth making. Some people either love and can't live without the All-Clad handles and some people hate them, so check one out in person before you buy something.

I have a Lodge enameled dutch oven and it is completely serviceable (I use it tons) but my sister-in-law's Le Creuset does look much nicer.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

glynnenstein posted:

I have a Lodge enameled dutch oven and it is completely serviceable (I use it tons) but my sister-in-law's Le Creuset does look much nicer.
There's lots of good-quality enameled cast iron being made these days now that Le Creuset is hot. LC is very overpriced IMO, get a Lodge. If it chips or cracks, contact them and they will replace it.

FakePoet
Feb 6, 2006

Woo. Pig. Sooie.

Hot Rope Guy
As a continuation of the Instant Pot discussion, is there a particular model I should target? They all look...the same, I guess excepting the blue-tooth enabled model, which I really don't see myself using.

genderfluid and beautiful
Feb 1, 2005

Electric smoker recommendations?

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

I've had the Masterbuilt Electric Smoker 40" for the last 8 months and it's been great. I use the cold smoker attachment so that I have discrete control over smoke and temp. Temp is effortlessly automatic and accurate and the attachment makes great smoke with good capacity so I don't have to tend it much.

Downside of the MES is high heat is not an option with the MES; 275F is the max.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
Need a kitchen scale, any recommendations?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VEKX35Y/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2VQPZHAEQ4BSD&coliid=I2GYNKJGRAPQ9J&psc=1

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

I was looking at this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004164SRA/ref=psdc_678508011_t1_B00VEKX35Y because my last scale tops out at like 3 lbs which means I can't weigh poo poo for even modest recipes. Why is yours $20 better?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Bakers percentages, flat and removable top for washing, higher limit.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I've used that particular model in a commercial bakery to scale out bread dough. It held up to heavy everyday use with out crapping out. Every other scale I've used in those situations only end up lasting about 6 months if your lucky.
That one has been in use over 3 years now.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I am thoroughly unimpressed with my cuisinart hand blender. I got the one with the additional attachments (hand mixer and food processor). The hand mixer sucks because the wires on the attachment are super flimsy and bend very easily. More often than not I just fling poo poo everywhere when I try to use it, and it's not strong enough to mix soft cookie dough.

The food processor attachment never worked out of the box. The contact between the blade and the part that spins the blade is too slippery, so with even a bit of force the blade doesn't even bother spinning at all.

The hand blender part works fine, but is very big compared to what I'm used to. There is a safety button on the top of the blender that needs to be held in in order for the blender to work, and I haven't found a way to hold it that is comfortable. The button placement makes zero sense. It's also very loud compared to other stick blenders ive used.

Overall I probably should have shelled out for a better, more expensive, single purpose stick blender.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Thumposaurus posted:

I've used that particular model in a commercial bakery to scale out bread dough. It held up to heavy everyday use with out crapping out. Every other scale I've used in those situations only end up lasting about 6 months if your lucky.
That one has been in use over 3 years now.

3rding the MyWeigh 8000. I use mine several times a week and it's very stout and more than worth its purchase price.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I know we already had instant pot chat on this page, but I'm trying to decide if I should get a traditional stovetop pressure cooker (a bit wary because my stove's BTU output is miserable) or an instant pot (wary that it can't pressurize as high as a traditional pressure cooker). Please help goons. Assume I'm spending ~$100.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Lawnie posted:

I know we already had instant pot chat on this page, but I'm trying to decide if I should get a traditional stovetop pressure cooker (a bit wary because my stove's BTU output is miserable) or an instant pot (wary that it can't pressurize as high as a traditional pressure cooker). Please help goons. Assume I'm spending ~$100.

I'm all about the stovetop pressure cooker, but if you're concerned about your range, then go with the Instant Pot. It doesn't create as much pressure, but we're talking 5-10 minutes more cooking time (if even that much). It'll still drastically reduce the cooking time for everything you use it on, and since it's electric you don't have to fiddle with the heat.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Lawnie posted:

Get the drat Instant Pot.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Lawnie posted:

You can set the instant pot and then go and do other things while your food cooks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Subconsciously I knew I was going to get the thing with the digital controller on the front. Thanks all.