Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Black Pants posted:

Having that brought up is funny, because people still ask if mods can be included in their pack leading to me seeing a lot of newer devs all confused and saying, 'Well yeah do what you want with it, I made the mod to be played.'
I think this is because of things like Curse, FTBLauncher and the like. If you're not going to put your mod up there, it's probably not going to do too well. Back in 1.2/1.3 days, it was all about that ad.fly (I loving hate ad.fly).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
What's the max RF/t output of the Mekanism V9 reactor/turbines? Or the draconic evolution reactor? Or the Nuclearcraft one?

Basically what's the best way to make 120 million RF/t?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

CrazyTolradi posted:

I think this is because of things like Curse, FTBLauncher and the like. If you're not going to put your mod up there, it's probably not going to do too well. Back in 1.2/1.3 days, it was all about that ad.fly (I loving hate ad.fly).
I can't believe people are still using ad.fly. I went to download...I think it was Optimizer while back, and even with adblockers and such I had to deal with a ton of pop-ups.

And speaking of SkyExchange, SkyExchange 2 is now apparently out. It's a "lite" version of SE, in that it only has 42 mods instead of 49! Oh, and no Ex Nihilo or quests, either.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Well I gave up. No one suggested a good pack to play so I just went and decided to boot up my old 1.2.5 pack. I never fully explored the potential of these mods, so I still have plenty to play around with. I have made a basic base so far, just a simple 9X9 and a mine down to the earths core. I built near to a Thaumic Obelisk, which I will explore for power items later! :D
http://www.technicpack.net/modpack/plus-blue.7767

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
We didn't suggest anything on the basis that you would have dismissed anything we brought up and then say "WELL MY 1.2.5 PACK IS BETTER." We've been through this before. You have lovely opinions.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Rutibex posted:

Well I gave up. No one suggested a good pack to play so I just went and decided to boot up my old 1.2.5 pack.

I didn't really understand what you wanted; I've seen a lot of packs with ProjectE, but it sounded like you wanted an adventure pack built with ProjectE as the central conceit? Which is pretty specific.

If you just want a 1.7 full-o-mods pack that includes ProjectE though, Modderation: Permabanned is a goon-made pack (though, unsure of its last update). There's also the pubby pack Mianite Reborn which is pretty much the same deal - just probably avoid the official server, it's full of children. There's also Project Ozone/PO2 which are very silly skyblock packs that have optional not-actually-skyblock maps you can play them on.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

pretty much no modern mod packs use anything like EE because EE is hot garbage in a smelly dumpster

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Sage Grimm posted:

We didn't suggest anything on the basis that you would have dismissed anything we brought up and then say "WELL MY 1.2.5 PACK IS BETTER." We've been through this before. You have lovely opinions.
:ohdear:
I don't want any trouble man, I'm just looking for a mod pack here.

Black Pants posted:

There's also Project Ozone/PO2 which are very silly skyblock packs that have optional not-actually-skyblock maps you can play them on.

This is perfect, thanks! This is exactly what I was looking for, Project Ozone 2 looks like the pack for me.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Meskhenet posted:

And you lose all your stuff in the tablet and all your emc every time you die.....

I think that was a bug? It wasn't my experience with the pack at least.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Are there any goon servers for the modpack "the 1.7.10 pack" ?
http://www.technicpack.net/modpack/the-1710-pack.453902

It has pretty much everything I'm looking for. The only thing I'd probably add is draconic evolution.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Sky Exchange is pretty much exactly what I was looking for, so thanks for the suggestion! The endless dirt block is a pretty good skyblock gimmick, at least once I figured out what was going on.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

pretty much no modern mod packs use anything like EE because EE is hot garbage in a smelly dumpster

EE is just old and crufty now, but it broke the mold and created new rules and ideas when it first came out, no? I just remembered my compressing vacuum bag that would make ridiculously dense something or other out of crap I mined in 5x3x3 chunks. And automating sunlight into matter with an insane buildcraft pipes contraption. It definitely didn't age well, but very few of the early mods did.

Travel Anchors are a QOL godsend. My base got instantly 500% more organized when going downstairs became a single buttonpress. Yay! What sucks is I had to watch a dozen episodes of someone LPing SF3 to figure out the name of it, it's really hard to find something by what-it-does instead of what the author named it.

Playing Skyfactory 3 because I'm a sucker for a challenge, but I have no idea what's "good" weapons and armor anymore and promptly died on my first nether expedition. I thought TCon swords, but none of the materials I can make seem much better than a stupid diamond sword. How do you get 10+ attack weapons before nether stars?

Currently I'm testing out the boomarang + enchants but I need to fix my mobgrinder to harvest experience (whoops) so I can't enchant it yet.

Unlike my last question, I doubt I'm going to instantly find the answer when I hit submit since it's so open-ended.

Also, chickens are OP in this pack. 10x10 item collector and massed pens of iron/steel/redstone/sand chickens feeding my industry. I "should" put them in their nesting pens with extractors but what's the fun in that?

Oh yeah, minor question: what's the name of the super-animal-net that picks up 10 at a time? I saw someone had it but I have no interest in watching a dozen LPs frame by frame to see if they happen to use it and I can see the name show up on their screen.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Harik posted:

Playing Skyfactory 3 because I'm a sucker for a challenge, but I have no idea what's "good" weapons and armor anymore and promptly died on my first nether expedition. I thought TCon swords, but none of the materials I can make seem much better than a stupid diamond sword. How do you get 10+ attack weapons before nether stars?

Knightslime is the traditional pre-nether material to make a ticon sword out of, but if you manufacture netherrack and sift netherrack gravel, you can get cobalt/ardite.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Personally my favourite TiCon weapon in SF3 is a cleaver made out of bone and prismarine. If you get an Atomic Reconstructor you can turn nether quartz into prismarine shards, which have a high damage rating and the added effect of doing more damage the lower the weapon durability. Bone also increases weapon damage. I mean, okay it was only 25 damage pre-prismarine modifier but that did the job.

Also I just wore a powered up Dark Armor set + vibrant armored jetpack, though a top-tier Mystical Agriculture set would give better protection. That said, there isn't really any reason to go to the nether though, to be completely honest. Everything you would go there for can be obtained without doing so by various means. I made a platform there for safe wither spawning and murdering but otherwise there isn't much to do there.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Feb 2, 2017

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Harik posted:

EnderIO Dark steel is relatively cheap material wise, and the anvil upgrade costs are cheap once you put some golden spikes & an xp vacuum in your mob spawner.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

you can also turn nether quartz into prismarine with a botania alchemy catalyst

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Black Pants posted:

Personally my favourite TiCon weapon in SF3 is a cleaver made out of bone and prismarine. If you get an Atomic Reconstructor you can turn nether quartz into prismarine shards, which have a high damage rating and the added effect of doing more damage the lower the weapon durability. Bone also increases weapon damage. I mean, okay it was only 25 damage pre-prismarine modifier but that did the job.

Also I just wore a powered up Dark Armor set + vibrant armored jetpack, though a top-tier Mystical Agriculture set would give better protection. That said, there isn't really any reason to go to the nether though, to be completely honest. Everything you would go there for can be obtained without doing so by various means. I made a platform there for safe wither spawning and murdering but otherwise there isn't much to do there.

I've got infinite prismarine (I bred chickens).

What's your cleaver? Bone with a prismarine blade or what? I'm only getting 13 attack out of mine. On the flipside: I can make knightslime because I finally got a purple slime chicken. I "can" do ardite, but I'd have to really ramp up my lava production. Currently 5 barrels on firewater, anything faster? I don't really have the dust sifting to the point I can squeeze blaze powder.

Knightslime should do me until I make a nether run and get the final base chicken.

Black Pants posted:

Nether chicken. With that, I can make anything I need. It unlocks diamond and blaze rod chickens.

I guess I could farm them but chickens are so OP it's not even funny, once you get a breeding pair of the type you want just throw seeds at them every 30 seconds and then at their chicks and grandchicks and... soon you're worried about storage and cull the herd some.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
So I tried out that Project Ozone 2 pack. After the 10 min it took to load everything seemed alright, lots of mods obviously and some starting tutorial book. I figure I'll read the book later. I wander off to explore and walk over some funny looking dirt. Turns out it was quicksand! I struggle for a bit and die, a pig falls in as well and dies with me. I only died a few steps from my first spawn, so I go back and try to get my stuff and die again...:( This quicksand stuff does not seem to be a solid block, but some kind of weird liquid. But it wont let me place dirt in it like water/lave. Very annoying! I could not figure out how to recover my tutorial book and restarted.

10/10 good mod pack

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Rutibex posted:

So I tried out that Project Ozone 2 pack. After the 10 min it took to load everything seemed alright, lots of mods obviously and some starting tutorial book. I figure I'll read the book later. I wander off to explore and walk over some funny looking dirt. Turns out it was quicksand! I struggle for a bit and die, a pig falls in as well and dies with me. I only died a few steps from my first spawn, so I go back and try to get my stuff and die again...:( This quicksand stuff does not seem to be a solid block, but some kind of weird liquid. But it wont let me place dirt in it like water/lave. Very annoying! I could not figure out how to recover my tutorial book and restarted.

10/10 good mod pack

that is a bog standard gravestone mod, break the grave to get your poo poo back

you can do it without a tool

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

It may not be immediately intuitive, but project ozone 2 is supposed to be a skyblock type map and you're supposed to choose a skyblock start, like the skylands gen or garden of glass. Not a regular world. TBH, I'm not sure why a vanilla world is an option for that.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Quicksand is the bane of my fave biome, jungles. :argh: Shovels work to dig yourself out, I think?

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Ak Gara posted:

Are there any goon servers for the modpack "the 1.7.10 pack" ?
http://www.technicpack.net/modpack/the-1710-pack.453902

It has pretty much everything I'm looking for. The only thing I'd probably add is draconic evolution.

I don't think so but I recently (currently?) was playing through that and couldn't figure out the galacticraft quests in the HQM book. For killing alien villagers it never seemed to register any no matter how many of those moon-dwelling bastards I murdered, and similarly the cheese quest requires you to have 64 cheese blocks in your inventory. Cheese blocks don't stack, they're like cakes, so I have no idea how I could have 64 in my inventory at once and access the book. I tried filling chests/bags etc with the requisite cheese blocks, no dice.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Christ, I can't get any of my Curse modpacks to load anymore. Skyfactory, SkyExchange, SkyExchange 2, Project Ozone...apparently updating my Nvidia drivers borked everything.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Ambaire posted:

It may not be immediately intuitive, but project ozone 2 is supposed to be a skyblock type map and you're supposed to choose a skyblock start, like the skylands gen or garden of glass. Not a regular world. TBH, I'm not sure why a vanilla world is an option for that.

I personally prefer skylands for it, bunch of floating dirt islands.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Evil Mastermind posted:

Christ, I can't get any of my Curse modpacks to load anymore. Skyfactory, SkyExchange, SkyExchange 2, Project Ozone...apparently updating my Nvidia drivers borked everything.

It does. You'll need to roll them back to the previous version. The current ones break Minecraft, particularly modded.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Yeah, that worked. It's amazing how easily this stuff breaks.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Evil Mastermind posted:

Yeah, that worked. It's amazing how easily this stuff breaks.

I thought they hotfixed it with a new update for the driver? Either way I'm waiting another month or two :p

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ambaire posted:

I remade my world with this in mind! There were a few options, a couple sky blocks, and an infinite ice world. I decided to do the Ice World, as I have done Sky Block before so this should be a new more interesting challenge. On my first night I opened a "lucky" block given to me in a reward and it spawned 50 Creepers. They blew up half of my spaceship shelter thing. Lucky for me the also dropped a lot of snowballs! I grabbed up the snow and fixed the hole

All of the explosions left a very deep ice crater:

During the night even more monsters spawned. As I waited for my trees to grow I went outside and tried to lure the creepers into the other monsters to blow them up. I died many times, but lucky for me the grave stone mod spawns a piece of dirt for your grave! Free Dirt!

I moved the trees to the roof, after getting blow up be creeper for the 3rd time:

Looting the loot bags. Mostly junk, a bucket is useful:

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Feb 3, 2017

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Rutibex posted:

During the night even more monsters spawned. As I waited for my trees to grow I went outside and tried to lure the creepers into the other monsters to blow them up. I died many times, but lucky for me the grave stone mod spawns a piece of dirt for your grave! Free Dirt!
the new GregTech skyblock is apparently coming along well.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Not sure if rainbow or WWII mass grave.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

I love how you're so :3: about dying so many times. I wouldn't have found that very fun but I am enjoying your tales of your, ahem, adventures.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Evil Mastermind posted:

I can't believe people are still using ad.fly. I went to download...I think it was Optimizer while back, and even with adblockers and such I had to deal with a ton of pop-ups.
The only mods I get this issue with now are Mekanism (three .jars) and ChickenChunks, EnderStorage and their core mods. Is the tiny amount of ad revenue really important to these people?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

CrazyTolradi posted:

The only mods I get this issue with now are Mekanism (three .jars) and ChickenChunks, EnderStorage and their core mods. Is the tiny amount of ad revenue really important to these people?

If I was a mod author I would want everyone to download my mod from the same place, so that I knew how many people played it and how big my E-Penis was.

General Specific
Jun 22, 2007

I had one of those, but the front wheel fell off and I had to get rid of it.
I'm not sure if this is the same issue that other people have been having, but if Java crashes at the Waila Preinitialization step, force wawla and hwyla to update to the most recent version using the button in the Curse mod list. This worked for me without needing to roll back Nvidia drivers.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

So it looks like the BQM module is broken in latest version of SkyExchange; are the quests listed out anywhere?

CrazyTolradi posted:

Listen, those .05 cents/click add up.

e: oh, excuse me... it's .001 cents per click. So unless you're getting thousands of downloads a month it's not worth it at all.

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Feb 3, 2017

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

They probably would make more money using Patreon these days.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I encountered someone with a shorte.st link that chained into an adf.ly link recently. (The former being a clone of the latter). It's hilarious when they have things asking people to turn off their adblocker.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ak Gara posted:

They probably would make more money using Patreon these days.

I remember the maker of Red Power, Eloraam, scammed a bunch of people out of Patreon money. She strung them along for many months with promises of a Red Power update, but it never came lol :v:

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Rutibex posted:

I remember the maker of Red Power, Eloraam, scammed a bunch of people out of Patreon money. She strung them along for many months with promises of a Red Power update, but it never came lol :v:

Didn't she also promise something like a standalone game too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Didn't she also promise something like a standalone game too?

Oh poo poo you're right, I remember that, haha. A new game, exclusively for Red Power.