Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Banana Canada posted:

Maybe the first season will be about first contact with these guys:

You are Non, who must become Juffo-Wup or Void.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

WickedHate posted:

Look it may not have aged perfectly but it's still pretty decent. :colbert:

No. It somehow manages to be worse than Dead End (also by Sandy Collora), which is a pretty majestic achievement unto itself.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I still want an Excelsior-class ship to be the center of a show or something. God I love that loving thing.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Nessus posted:

I still want an Excelsior-class ship to be the center of a show or something. God I love that loving thing.

ILM :argh:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Too much Akira hate in here.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I played a really not okay amount of Armada, the Star Trek RTS game, in which the Akira was a baller workhorse unit, so I like that thing a lot.

Also it had this intro cinematic, which is both :krad: and completely insane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ked-Pw0mZyY

Orv fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Feb 2, 2017

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I hated the campaign of Armada because of all the bullshit nebula stuff, so I just played the sandbox games and ran a Borg killdozer over everything in sight.

It was pretty awesome.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Transwarping twenty cubes onto somebodies base was pretty great.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

twistedmentat posted:

Not enough Ent-D refit three nacelle turbo cannon love in here

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Future Ent-D was like a goddamned wet dream for me as a kid because Star Trek was just slightly short on pew pew for me.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Orv posted:

I loved that game and had totally forgotten about that intro.

I remember the campaign stories for each faction being nuts and pretty awesome, too.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Orv posted:

What the hell was that bola missile at the end, the one that duplicated the Enterprise?

Both Enterprises started firing independently. Did the crew duplicate too?

This is a video game so I'm guessing it's a short-term effect and the second ship vanishes after a bit. If so, do the short-lived duplicates KNOW that they're the duplicates? Do they feel terror knowing they have only a few seconds to live? Or do they always think the other ship is the copy?

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Orv posted:

I played a really not okay amount of Armada, the Star Trek RTS game, in which the Akira was a baller workhorse unit, so I like that thing a lot.

Funny. I don't REMEMBER 13-year-old me writing a Star Trek game story...

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I was way too cool for school to play Armada because I'd already seen Homeworld and thought it was bullshit you'd do any space game in 2D like Armada after Homeworld.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I was way too cool for school to play Armada because I'd already seen Homeworld and thought it was bullshit you'd do any space game in 2D like Armada after Homeworld.

There were some sweet Star Trek mods for Homeworld

Orv
May 4, 2011

Powered Descent posted:

What the hell was that bola missile at the end, the one that duplicated the Enterprise?

Both Enterprises started firing independently. Did the crew duplicate too?

This is a video game so I'm guessing it's a short-term effect and the second ship vanishes after a bit. If so, do the short-lived duplicates KNOW that they're the duplicates? Do they feel terror knowing they have only a few seconds to live? Or do they always think the other ship is the copy?

That was the Gemini... effect, weapon? I forget the full name. In-game the Nebula class was a support unit that had a bunch of buffs and debuffs, and their ultimate one was that. Clone a ship for a period of time, it has all its cool downs reset so you can use them again. Of course they don't bother to explain it at all 'scientifically' and the clone doesn't simply vanish but explodes every single time it runs out of duration, so I always assumed the worst, most horrific fate possible for it; they know exactly what they are, what they're doing, and they know in 22 seconds (I think that was the duration) they're going to warp core breach and there is nothing they can do about it.

And because the Borg could capture any ship they wanted, you could clone cubes. So, that's horrifying.

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Funny. I don't REMEMBER 13-year-old me writing a Star Trek game story...

Man you ain't seen the half of it. Worf is captaining another Defiant and the Defiant is the smallest main class of ship you can build, so you end up with like thirty Defiants running around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFBC9qmghl8

Orv fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Feb 2, 2017

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

J33uk posted:

There were some sweet Star Trek mods for Homeworld

poo poo yeah there was! You just reminded me I've still got a few screenshots from way back in the day:

lol sometimes the beam spam got a little funny

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Galaxy class always looked best from below.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Anyone who likes space RTSes and hasn't, grab the Armada III total conversion mod for Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion. (If you like Sins gameplay)

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
TNG_S7: Beverly Crusher is gaslighted by a haunted lantern. Geordi and Data help fix up an old weather control system.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

There's also a Star Trek total conversion underway for Stellaris which could be worth checking out eventually. Looks like it covers all three major eras.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=688086068

Orv
May 4, 2011
Oh right, Worf is just... there, being Kirk and McCoy's defense attorney at their kangaroo court in ST6. Is that the most egregious charcacter reuse in Trek? I think most of the other instances are just actors guest starring and then becoming cast later, like Tuvok in Picard Hard: With A Saddle.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

The Tom Paris one in TNG is weird, because it seems like it could very well be the start of a road that leads to whatever the gently caress he did to be in that weird prison thing in the start of voyager. Although seeing as voyager couldn't give a gently caress about character continuity I don't know why I give it a seconds thought.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

lenoon posted:

The Tom Paris one in TNG is weird, because it seems like it could very well be the start of a road that leads to whatever the gently caress he did to be in that weird prison thing in the start of voyager. Although seeing as voyager couldn't give a gently caress about character continuity I don't know why I give it a seconds thought.

Tom Paris was originally supposed to BE Nick Locarno, but they didn't want to pay royalties to use the name every episode.

Orv
May 4, 2011
That's about as much thought as Voyager's writing team put into Tom Paris for about two seasons other than "a bit of a tosser", so why not.

Though truth be told that was always how I thought of it so you're not alone.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Beachcomber posted:

Tom Paris was originally supposed to BE Nick Locarno, but they didn't want to pay royalties to use the name every episode.

A few fans out there have decided it's their head-canon that Tom Paris attended the academy under the assumed name "Nick Locarno" so as not to be recognized as Admiral Paris's kid, and avoid special treatment or whatever.

And you know what, as head-canons go, that one's pretty inoffensive. I don't subscribe to it, but I don't have a whole lot to say against it either.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Orv posted:

Oh right, Worf is just... there, being Kirk and McCoy's defense attorney at their kangaroo court in ST6. Is that the most egregious charcacter reuse in Trek? I think most of the other instances are just actors guest starring and then becoming cast later, like Tuvok in Picard Hard: With A Saddle.

Apparently that was Worf's grandad.

Keep in mind TNG was already running when they did that.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

Not enough Akira hate in here.

Reminder: as designed it was supposed to be both a fighter carrier and a heavy assault ship with fifteen torpedo launchers :jerkbag:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Caught the Shiny Silver Future Borg episode of Voyager last night. Janeway wasn't memorably psychotic, which was nice. But holy hell does the Fed ever need to update their Weird poo poo Encounter procedures. Ensign Dumbass sees a green glowing room, walks merrily on in to scan it. Falls over unconscious. Next shot is senior members of the crew, walking merrily into the same room. At this rate all you'd need to do to incapacitate half the crew is flood a few random rooms with H2S.

If the room glows green, quarantine.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

McSpanky posted:

Reminder: as designed it was supposed to be both a fighter carrier and a heavy assault ship with fifteen torpedo launchers :jerkbag:

You know, I've heard that before about the Akira and I have to wonder if that was the idea going in, or whether it was fanwank afterwards. Got any info either way?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

You know, I've heard that before about the Akira and I have to wonder if that was the idea going in, or whether it was fanwank afterwards. Got any info either way?

As I recall it comes from an interview with the ILM designer of the First Contact ships, Alex Jaeger, in the selfsame issue of the Star Trek Magazine.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Rhyno posted:

There are good fan films?

Star Trek Continues was quite good, IMO.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

McSpanky posted:

Not enough Akira hate in here.

While I do indeed hate the designed-by-13-year-olds "blueprints" of the Akira class (though it also says something about me when I even know about them) I still like the look of it.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I like the Akira because it has a different silhouette from what we're used to but still manages to fit what we expect a Star Trek ship to look like. That double catamaran hull is a great look.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Phy posted:

Caught the Shiny Silver Future Borg episode of Voyager last night. Janeway wasn't memorably psychotic, which was nice. But holy hell does the Fed ever need to update their Weird poo poo Encounter procedures. Ensign Dumbass sees a green glowing room, walks merrily on in to scan it. Falls over unconscious. Next shot is senior members of the crew, walking merrily into the same room. At this rate all you'd need to do to incapacitate half the crew is flood a few random rooms with H2S.

Light Grenade!

Bates
Jun 15, 2006
Being a regular ensign in star fleet must be exasperating. Every other couple of weeks a senior officer is possessed, defects, goes insane or randomly attempts to blow up the boat.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

Phy posted:

My absolute favorite workplace safety moment in Trek, is the first contact with the Borg. This crazy looking robot guy has boarded the ship, is shooting weird electricity into the computer in engineering, and the security protocol is Worf asking one guy to run up and tackle it.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Kira is basically a slightly retooled Ro Laren.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Pakled posted:

Kira is basically a slightly retooled Ro Laren.

But less abrasive and far more likeable.