Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

MizPiz posted:

Just conquered Alexandria, made myself King of Venice, gave the other patrician families the counties I conquered in Italy to keep them happy, converted my vassals in Alexandria, all I need to do is wait a few months to build the silk road trading lost and everything wi-

What's that, two of my councilor patricians are starting a revolt to increase the council's powers. Well I can take care of that, just need to bring my retinue out of Alexandria an-

So now one of my Egyptian neighbors decided to declare a holy war. No worries, it's just an Emir, I'll just put down this council revolt and bring my forces to-

Oh, so now the King of Italy has decided to declare a holy war himself. I'm too broke to higher mercenaries and the useless gently caress that is the Holy Roman Emperor is hogging the only Hellenic holy order to fight four revolts he's already lost. It's okay, though, that Emir's holy war is just a few percentage points away from being officially over, and if I'm careful I can build up my forces and avoi-

gently caress YOUR HOLY WAR SECOND EMIR AND gently caress EVERYONE'S loving BULLSHIT! I'M GOING TO loving MURDER THE FIVE OF Y'ALLS FAMILIES AND TAKE YOUR DAUGHTERS AS CONCUBINES!

And that's why you don't give land to the other patricians.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
When is monks and mystics supposed to come out and does that usually mean other dlcs are on sale? Deciding if I should grab some now or wait.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

I had the idea to make an immortal count who schleps around Europe scheming and causing trouble. It didn't go so well. Turns out, if you torture somebody while you have the 'insane' trait, it gets, well

weird

I don't think there's any way around it either -- it happened three times in a row with different people. If an insane person tortures their victim, they tickle the poo poo out of them.

That's amazing. How the heck do you even do that?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Shbobdb posted:

When is monks and mystics supposed to come out and does that usually mean other dlcs are on sale? Deciding if I should grab some now or wait.

I don't think they've given a release date yet, but when it does come out the other DLCs should go on sale.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Sultan Tarquin posted:

That's amazing. How the heck do you even do that?

There's a negative version of it as well called tickled me wrong or something like that. I didn't realize it was lunatic that caused it but sometimes your dude will attempt top torture people with a feather.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Goofballs posted:

There's a negative version of it as well called tickled me wrong or something like that. I didn't realize it was lunatic that caused it but sometimes your dude will attempt top torture people with a feather.

I think there's also a chance from that event to give the target the lunatic trait as well. Like you tickled them so much they went insane.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Some Norse dude has been heading a Papal Rebellion for decades now. I think he's gone through at least two popes. However since he seems to have gotten all of the pope's actual land in some previous war or rebellion (but still stayed a vassal somehow) he can't get his score above 75% because the pope only holds the duchy of Latium (but no land inside it) and the Papacy while the Norse guy has all of the land.

The Pope appears to spend all his time leading a small army around Europe getting in various fights but never getting close to Italy.

Also Catholicism hasn't gone above 15 Moral Authority in a very long time. They've dipped into single digits more than a few times. What is left of the Catholic world, that is to say Lombardy, micro-Serbia, and the Avars, is all a storm of heresy. The rest has all been conquered by my unstoppable map painting pagan mega-Germania complete with a theocratic France-Burgundy and a Aquatinian Republic lead by pagan Karlings.

These two facts might be related.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Feb 2, 2017

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

FreudianSlippers posted:

pagan Karlings.

it's like gay republicans, how does that even work

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Sometimes these things just happen...

I had this popup in my current game. I assume it was something to do with tutoring, because his first two kids are both Ashkenazi.

And sometimes the Caliph just wants to get his jihad on, and triggers the event himself ...

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Dunno, but in my current game most Karlings are Germanic, as is a good chunk of Europe apart from the Umayyads of course and Fraticelli Lombardy/HRE, both of whom I really need to wreck.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

stabbing just hasn't been the same since it was turned into a MTTH event

You can turn on diplo-assassination in the gamerules if you miss it.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Darkrenown posted:

Not if you ironman, which is unfortunately all I ever do. My thoughts being that iron man is the only way I can keep myself from save scumming and console cheating. I want to avoid this because I view CK2 much like Dwarf Fortress. The most fun times come from dealing with setbacks, which when they happen, seem super annoying.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

binge crotching posted:

And sometimes the Caliph just wants to get his jihad on, and triggers the event himself ...

This is brilliant! I never thought it could work like that. I know what I will do in my next Muslim game.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

ZombieLenin posted:

Not if you ironman, which is unfortunately all I ever do. My thoughts being that iron man is the only way I can keep myself from save scumming and console cheating. I want to avoid this because I view CK2 much like Dwarf Fortress. The most fun times come from dealing with setbacks, which when they happen, seem super annoying.
You can turn on iron man for any combo of rules, you just don't get cheevos.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Really wish the game had some better logic when it came to deciding who is the siege leader. It's pretty cool when one of your vassals parks, like, one skirmish retinue on a province and I guess because they were there first they're considered the leader. I think it should that if your force alone is not sufficient to besiege a holding or if your liege enters the fray then you don't get to be siege leader. Hell at least make it so you are always allowed to assault the siege target but if you're not the leader then it's just your army doing it.

edit: Also it feels really weird that you lose basically all control of your kids if they get a title. If they're of age sure go off and ruin your life but if they're still children then you should be allowed to keep them in your court and educate and arrange marriages for them as you see fit. In this case my eldest son inherited my husbands tiny little kingdom and so decides to leave my capital with its highly upgraded hospital to seclude himself in the black-death ravaged backwater hellhole that he just inherited. I noticed that I can get him to return if I choose to make myself his guardian but either he or his regent then automatically take him away again after like a month. So yeah my heir is definitely gonna end up having his education sabotaged and matrilineally married off to some random countess with syphilis and probably die of the plague.

Gobblecoque fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Feb 2, 2017

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Darkrenown posted:

Question--if I do this, will the AI also use it? Does it still have the rules/code in place to use it appropriately? Because if only I am using it, it would feel too cheaty.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

binge crotching posted:

Crusades/jihads unlock if one of the major holy sites (Rome for catholics, Mecca for Muslims) gets conquered by another religion, regardless of the time. (You can see the ruler of Mecca is a tengri chief in the picture.)

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Technowolf posted:

Crusades/jihads unlock if one of the major holy sites (Rome for catholics, Mecca for Muslims) gets conquered by another religion, regardless of the time. (You can see the ruler of Mecca is a tengri chief in the picture.)

I'm pretty sure the point of the picture is that the liege of the Tengri chief is the Caliph, and the Caliph specifically granted Mecca to him. So the Caliph games the system to trigger Jihads early.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Goofballs posted:

I more meant how the heck do you go around as a count kidnapping the Italian kings.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
38 intrigue gets poo poo done

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Technowolf posted:

Actually, it has to be past a certain date for some of them, with Mecca being 900.

This was actually changed from how it was originally, where you could trigger them instantly for shenanigans.

i kinda miss that actually

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Cantorsdust posted:

Question--if I do this, will the AI also use it? Does it still have the rules/code in place to use it appropriately? Because if only I am using it, it would feel too cheaty.

They will probably use it the same way they used to before it was disabled - not too much, generally, but they will go nuts with it to retaliate against one you ordered that fails.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Actually, it has to be past a certain date for some of them, with Mecca being 900.

This was actually changed from how it was originally, where you could trigger them instantly for shenanigans.

i kinda miss that actually
Rome as well, plus France, Egypt, Byzantium. Really, except for the Jewish and Zoroastrian ones, it looks like nobody's going on a crusade before 900.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Cantorsdust posted:

I'm pretty sure the point of the picture is that the liege of the Tengri chief is the Caliph, and the Caliph specifically granted Mecca to him. So the Caliph games the system to trigger Jihads early.

Yeah, that was the whole point of my picture. I was just hanging out in Brittany when I got a message about Mecca falling to infidels. I thought maybe the Caliph had been overrun by a nomad or something, but it turns out he gave my Tengri brother in law the county of Mecca.

I ended up giving up on that game because suddenly expanding into France was effectively impossible with all the Catholic holy orders spawning.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Oh god help.

My gay younger son kept trying to murder his older brother. I tried to have him arrested (like 90%!) but he got away and fled to the Vatican. He's Pope now. I don't understand how it happened, but my bad gay son is the Pope, he's very unhappy with me, and he's still plotting to kill his brother and stage a Vatican takeover of Scotland.

edit: this just got MORE confusing. I just realised my bad gay nephew. There's two of them and this one made it to the Vatican on his own. They are both, independently, planning to kill my son and heir.

This loving game, man.

edit 2:

Aaaw yeah, Pope problem solved with some sweet chancellor action.

SurreptitiousMuffin fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Feb 2, 2017

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

How does this even happen?

Oh!.......oh

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

In my current game my eldest son and heir just called in a favor by forcing a matrilineal betrothal between his oldest daughter and his brother. I feel like this reflects poorly on my ability as a parent

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Simplex posted:

In my current game my eldest son and heir just called in a favor by forcing a matrilineal betrothal between his oldest daughter and his brother. I feel like this reflects poorly on my ability as a parent

I know, your idiot son wasted a matrilineal betrothal on a member of your dynasty, it didn't matter, you should have raised him better than to waste matrilineal marriages on people who are in your dynasty.

I mean, marrying her to her uncle is only acceptable if she can't get matrilineal marriage elsewhere.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Sky Shadowing posted:

I know, your idiot son wasted a matrilineal betrothal on a member of your dynasty, it didn't matter, you should have raised him better than to waste matrilineal marriages on people who are in your dynasty.

I mean, marrying her to her uncle is only acceptable if she can't get matrilineal marriage elsewhere.

He's got 27 Diplomacy, you think he would know better.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

I am the Shia Caliph, destroying the Abbasids from within. One night, their main man decided to try to mend the other great schism. :stare:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

No Pants posted:

I am the Shia Caliph, destroying the Abbasids from within. One night, their main man decided to try to mend the other great schism. :stare:

Voted 5/5 extremely haram.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

No Pants posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nSKkwzwdW4

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

my bad gay son is the Pope

Next thread title, please.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Idk man having a son become Pope on his own is p good.

Butter him up and abuse that poo poo

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
My son outed me!

This is probably his revenge for not giving him Barcelona. But it needs to be mine... that's where all the hot viking guys go on vacation!

Zero One fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Feb 3, 2017

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

All hail the Immortal God Maharaja of India.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

verbal enema posted:

Idk man having a son become Pope on his own is p good.

Butter him up and abuse that poo poo

I can think of better ways to suggest exploiting the political position of your homosexual child. They don't involve the use of butter, for a start.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
I don't have any early screencaps of Princess Maisie, because she was supposed to die. She's the daughter of the Scottish queen and a skilled Nahua courtier who would deign to matrilineally marry. Without my permission, she got married to a French king and started popping out babies that woulda ruined my bloodline. This was the late 14th-century in an ironman game started at Charlemagne, and damned if I was gonna lose because somebody ran off with a Frenchman. She was the heir, and had two children who were behind her in the line of succession, neither of my dynasty. By the time I realised, she was chaste, gay and bedridden with cancer: -50% fertility right off the bat. Her own mum assassinated her two kids, and I said "problem solved" -- when she died, it would pass to her little sister who was matrilineally married.

So she's gay, chaste, bedridden with cancer, both her children are dead, and her conniving French husband is off loving other women. Her mum dies, and I'm kinda going "well this won't take long."

I appointed the worst court physician possible, then went to him and asked him to cure her cancer. He cut off her hand, but he succeeded. She's up and about now. An event fires that lets her switch chaste for lustful, and I grabbed it. Crown focus, and she grabs ambitious and diligent. It was around this time I started to take her fuckin seriously.

The Frenchman was a problem, so she had him whacked and replaced with a nice Jewish boy to help keep the family line on track. It's Cognatic Primogeniture and by this point in the game, the house of Uib are hilariously inbred (hence getting nahua guys in etc). She's in her 30s at this point and I'm not banking on any future kids, so she goes about whacking everybody in the line of succession who has undesirable genetic traits, until the heir doesn't suck. That's about when we get to here:

Parts of Ireland are de jure drifting into some weird French kingdom and I wanted none of that, so Maisie went military focus and decided to put the boot into them. She turns out to be the most successful military campaigner I've ever had: winning multiple large wars while heavily outnumbered, making clever use of pikes and terrain -- TEACH THOSE FRENCH BAWBAGS TAE COME OVER HERE. She gets a papal pardon for all that child/kin murderin', and, at 44 and 49, manages to pop out sons while leading an army against Australia Austrasia. She does this while overseeing massive development of Scottish hospitals and turning over between 98-102 gold per month.

She wins more wars, but loses her husband and youngest son to disease. Her heir comes of age, and is pretty badass in and of himself. She turns to religion to find solace for her loss, but continues to kick the poo poo out of the French pretty much for the hell of it. And then the game ends. The woman who was meant to immediately die survived right down until the final year of the game. If not for breaking multiple treaties with the :bahgawd: FRENCH :bahgawd:, she'd have absurdly high prestige -- somewhere in the 15k range, and be listed as the most successful ruler Scotland ever had.

Queen Maisie the Gracious: the Mexican Lesbian who was supposed to die quietly, and instead became the greatest Scottish monarch of all time.

SurreptitiousMuffin fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Feb 3, 2017

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Aaaw yeah, Pope problem solved with some sweet chancellor action.

"Dude, seriously. You're the fuckin' Pope. Knock it off."

"Yeah, I guess you have a point."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Queen Maisie the Gracious: the Mexican Lesbian who was supposed to die quietly, and instead became the greatest Scottish monarch of all time.
No other game can give you this poo poo. These sorta runs is what makes CK2 great.

• Locked thread