Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Also, while all Clanners are inherently sore losers, I've got to imagine freaking out and trying to cancel the crusade over a humiliating loss in a skirmish is a good way to go beyond even what clanners consider acceptable in sore losing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Aren't they all following her because they're basically scared shitless of her though? If it goes to Annihilation, I hope there's a ton of footage from the last mission so that during the vote for it the Goliath Scorpions can say a slightly more eloquent version of "mad because bad" to try and swing people around. But given that the Widowmakers control most of the data flow (right?) they'll just make sure nobody knows and the Scorpions get stampeded by everyone because "FREEEE TERRITORY!"

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Night10194 posted:

Also, while all Clanners are inherently sore losers, I've got to imagine freaking out and trying to cancel the crusade over a humiliating loss in a skirmish is a good way to go beyond even what clanners consider acceptable in sore losing.

If you're good enough at fighting people you can basically get away with anything in the Clans. It's how Asa Taney kept control over the Ice Hellions for so long. In fact, I'd even say it's what Kerensky had in mind. When someone expresses doubt about what you're doing, you challenge them to a Trial of Grievance. Whoever loses has to accept the winner was right. That also means they're required by the honor code to vote in the Clan council to support it, if appropriate.

What this means if you're a super-ace like Natasha is that you do whatever you want and the main problem is how long you have to spend beating the poo poo out of your own people.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Defiance Industries posted:

If you're good enough at fighting people you can basically get away with anything in the Clans. It's how Asa Taney kept control over the Ice Hellions for so long. In fact, I'd even say it's what Kerensky had in mind. When someone expresses doubt about what you're doing, you challenge them to a Trial of Grievance. Whoever loses has to accept the winner was right. That also means they're required by the honor code to vote in the Clan council to support it, if appropriate.

What this means if you're a super-ace like Natasha is that you do whatever you want and the main problem is how long you have to spend beating the poo poo out of your own people.

Or until people get tired enough of your poo poo that you take a nasty tumble down some stairs. Into a needler pistol.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Defiance Industries posted:

You know, though, one day there's going to be a lucky headcap if you keep going back to that well.

And nothing of value will be lost when another Kerensky bites it.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

A4, 5
B3

HOOAHH

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Zaodai posted:

Or until people get tired enough of your poo poo that you take a nasty tumble down some stairs. Into a needler pistol.

These dumb fuckers aren't smart enough to think that up.

tofuwizard
Feb 22, 2013
A - 4 and 6
B - 3

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!
A - 4, 6
B - 3

Ceterum, censeo Cappellam delendam esse

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

A: 1, 4

B: 3

A4 and B3 are clear winners. The competetive fight deems to be between A1 and A6.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
A) 1 & 4
Increased chances of cyborg commandos fighting AI controlled drone swarms. Also improves the chances of Lyrians fighting the island snake alliance.

B) 1
Going full crazy right now would mean the scorpions are likely to be spared the wrath of the second crusade entirely. That'd be no fun at all. We need as many mutually hostile forces on this map as we can fit.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Supporting Lyran operations currently at 19 votes versus assassinating Uncle Stevie at 20.

Revealing Compellan atrocities and attempting to forge an alliance between DNS and the Concordat (if still possible) and starting a Trial of Annihalation over the second biggest victory in the thread so far are both aheas by a wide mile.

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Feb 2, 2017

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Honestly, I'm picking to cause the most chaos here. Going after Justin and the Cappies is a no-brainer after they lost the Liao HPGs. They HAVE to do that one. Going after Uncle Stevie shakes things up for the Rim Worlders who have really had things all their own way so far. Give the Steves a bloody nose and see what happens next. Between the two, that'll completely destabilize almost the entire southeren sphere, which would be nice because if the Widowmakers call off the invasion that'll throw open the northern sphere to some kind of massive Drac Suns, Lyran, Skye, or all of the above counter attack!

In short, there will be chaos and war everywhere is what leads to all those battle we dearly love to play.

Also, involving Stefan VI increases the chances we'll see the Demon Hawks again, which would be fun.

A: 4, 6

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

I'm going to be highly original here.

A: 1 & 4

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

A: 1, 4

Super excited for B3. "Hey guys, I know we're getting our poo poo pushed in by our historical archenemy, but the real threat here is that this guy I keep shoving dared to shove back. Let's get 'em."

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
The Widowmakers neither know nor care what's happening to the Snow Ravens and Sea Foxes, and vice versa.

Both simply assume the other is going to be successful.

Corponation
Apr 21, 2007

Fantastic.
A - 1, 4

B - 1

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

A1, A6

B3

I don't expect Comstar's assassination attempt to succeed but I certainly want to see them try.

Same with the Widowmakers trying to go all full crazy.

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A)4 - comstar needs those HPGs back. Also, I'd like to see what CapCon have been up to in our absence.

A)6 - seeing how (or even if) comstar handles Amaris will likely give us/Demon Hawks interesting things to do.

Also I don't much care about the DracSuns right now, we can go check on them later.

B)3 - I kind of enjoy seeing this iteration of Natasha getting screwed over - hell, I'd like to see what might happen if she was captured as a bondsman - or funnier still, captured as an IS bondsman. Now that would be enjoyable to watch.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
A - 4 and 6
B - 3

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
A4
B2

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

Kobe is very volcanically active and is basically one century into a volcano-induced nuclear winter. Whether or not New Pompeii was called New Pompeii when Kobe was still one of the Star League's garden worlds or whether they changed the name when the entire world turned out to be one giant ash-spewing frozen hellhole I have no idea.

ComStar only knows that Duncan has not ordered any FWLM unit to rescue him.

It's up to the thread to determine not only what course ComStar is going to take, but how likely they think each of these actions are to actually succeed in accomplishing something interesting (keeping in mind also that failing to accomplish something interesting could also lead to something interesting).

Naming the city before the planet became volcanic is double irony. I wanted to vote for an assassination attempt on Marik just to see them gently caress it up but, uh, can't really count on that. Also I like your FWL, I wish them the best.

CISscum
Nov 15, 2014
A) What should ComStar do? (Pick 2)
3) Instigate pirate raids on the Federated Suns
5) Assassinate Duncan Marik

B) Clan Widowmaker (Pick 1)
3) Declare vendetta, officially ending the invasion in favor of annihilating the Goliath Scorpions

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Political Vote
A) What should ComStar do? (Pick 2)
4) Reveal known Capellan plots to the Taurians and Duchy
6) Assassinate Stefan Amaris VI

B) Clan Widowmaker (Pick 1)
3) Declare vendetta, officially ending the invasion in favor of annihilating the Goliath Scorpions

I like how people are saying that a Trial of Annihilation would be an uncharacteristic overreaction as we watch Natasha bombard a city because of one rogue Mechwarrior with water pistols.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

You can choose 2 options for A, which is why people are picking 4 and 6 at the moment.

JacksAngryBiome
Oct 23, 2014

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Personally, I'm voting to wipe out the Capellans and try to assassinate Uncle Stevie because I envision something like the following:

I thought the amount of votes also determined likelyhood of success? Or is that for mission choices?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Alchenar posted:

I like how people are saying that a Trial of Annihilation would be an uncharacteristic overreaction as we watch Natasha bombard a city because of one rogue Mechwarrior with water pistols.

Oh, it'd be in character for her. She's just a lunatic.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
A 1 and 4

B 3

Endomorphic
Jul 25, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

Both simply assume the other is going to be successful.
Undoubtedly the best way to plan.

A6 - messy body-swap-assassination plots are great. I could choose two, but I'm less attached to the others.
B1 - we want to get to Annihilation eventually, but the narrative can be patient

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

JacksAngryBiome posted:

I thought the amount of votes also determined likelyhood of success? Or is that for mission choices?

It is generally assumed that when you vote for something, you're voting in favor of it succeeding. The extent to which PTN takes any given vote and uses it to shape the narrative is solely up to PTN.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Zaodai posted:

It is generally assumed that when you vote for something, you're voting in favor of it succeeding. The extent to which PTN takes any given vote and uses it to shape the narrative is solely up to PTN.

I'm voting with the assumption some of it will lead to the players being tasked with carrying it out, and I'd love to see them fight in these clusterfucks. Like I said, battling ROM as the Demon Hawks OR fighting a cool space tyrant's terrifying, undefeated Demon Hawk bodyguards both sound great! I'd also love to see a Death Commandos Damage Control scenario where the players are trying to minimize the damage from Comstar's weaponized spite.

Or, you know, fighting more terrifying Capellan cyber-units.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

:shobon: I'm sorta attached to the Demon Hawks and wouldn't want the players to fight them. Please don't make us kill IRIS and COOTS!

Wait... both of them are still alive right? I can't remember.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Well, the mission vote will be separate from these political votes if past votes are any indication. So we aren't to the point where we're killing Demon Hawks quite yet. Plus if it's an assassination, especially a ComStar one, it'll likely be that the actual death is off screen and at most the Hawks would be involved in some kind of retaliatory strike (which the players might have to defend against) or unfortunate collateral damage if the assassination is some kind of orbital strike. Given that the planet Uncle Stevie and the Hawks are on is under interdiction, it'd be hard for ComStar to insert a strike force in the first place, so who even knows.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Or given that Comstar is behind in tech and doesn't realise it's behind in tech it could result in them getting hilariously stomped.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Ice Fist posted:

:shobon: I'm sorta attached to the Demon Hawks and wouldn't want the players to fight them. Please don't make us kill IRIS and COOTS!

I mean I'd obviously vote to play as them if given a combat theater choice, but at the same time you have to admit they'd make a great terrifying supervillain ace squad.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Ice Fist posted:

the only Demon Hawk that's died so far was Melanie "Baroness" Van Daal, and even then only after one of the Naga's Arrow IVs landed right on top of her horribly wounded body after she ejected

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Night10194 posted:

I mean I'd obviously vote to play as them if given a combat theater choice, but at the same time you have to admit they'd make a great terrifying supervillain ace squad.

"The NRWR are deploying their superweapon, you've got to get out of there!"
"What superweapon? All I see is an Atlas."
*crane slowly lowers a golden crown onto the Atlas, Darth Vader helmet style*

... and that ComStar unit was never heard from again.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Bloody Pom posted:

I like Uncle Steve, but offing him gives the Clans an incentive to gently caress off, and the NRWR an incentive to kick the Sphere's poo poo in. :unsmigghh:

Wouldn't Comstar killing Uncle Steve just get the Clans mad at Comstar as well? They get pissy when someone tries to killsteal in a normal fight, what makes you think killing off the Clans' greatest enemy would be any different?

Technowolf fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Feb 2, 2017

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Technowolf posted:

Wouldn't Comstar killing Uncle Steve just get the Clans mad at Comstar as well. They get pissy when someone tries to killsteal in a normal fight, what makes you think killing off the Clans' greatest enemy would be any different?

Almost certainly yes. They're going to be so mad that their ultimate revenge against Space Hitler's great-great-grandson was stolen from them. Especially after they got bodied by said Hitler-Grandson so thoroughly to even make the attempt.

[EDIT] More accurately, I think it will make the Clans super mad at the Inner Sphere in general. I don't think they distinguish between the various houses and Comstar much. They just see them as "not-Clan, Barbarian scum".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Alchenar posted:

Punishing the Innersphere for using resistance fighters against the Clanners is one thing (which has actually been going on since the invasion began, so Natasha has a reason to be at her breaking point), attacking a Clan that technically complied with Zell at the expense of ALL the Clans is entirely another.

• Locked thread