Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Play pharah, take out the torb turret first so it doesn't kill you, then you can take out sym turrets. Play with vertical cover if they bring out a hitscan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Before they get entrenched a junkrat will ruin the gently caress out of their day. Once those shields and armor start getting going though, junkrat becomes a meaningless damage point counter.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Winston can zap Sym's turrets, leap over to Torbjorn, lay down a shield between yourself and the turret, and unless he has a MOOOOLTEN CORE ready you can kill him and/or the turrent.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

I finally did it. I finally won a capture the rooster game 3-0. I'm done with that game mode forever...

Or so I thought ... the game didn't give me the drat achievement.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
You should definitely play that mode with friends. Playing solo is an exercise in watching 2 teams commit five people to defending and one person to try and attack.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

dogstile posted:

You should definitely play that mode with friends. Playing solo is an exercise in watching 2 teams commit five people to defending and one person to try and attack.

I hate CTF as much as the next guy, but in the several games I have played of this, I have had this happen exactly once. This just doesn't happen in my experience.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I think Team Fortress 2 was the last time I played a CTF game mode. I remember that was the mode of choice for first person shooters. Games like Quake 1 - 3, Unreal Tournament, were all about playing CTF.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Kamikaze Raider posted:

I hate CTF as much as the next guy, but in the several games I have played of this, I have had this happen exactly once. This just doesn't happen in my experience.

I've played a bunch of games trying to get my arcade wins across two accounts, and 0-0 draws are realllllllly common. That game mode just sucks

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

dogstile posted:

In my one game of CTF we won 2-1 with both teams pushing regularly. It was pretty fun. After hearing tales of turtling I figured the mode had peaked and never went back.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I mean, i've played like 25 games of it, mainly winning and only had five ties.

Its just all five of those ties were when I was soloing it.

E: I really like the mode, to clarify. I think blizz should stop being stupid and actually put some loving effort into it.

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

Papercut posted:

I've played a bunch of games trying to get my arcade wins across two accounts, and 0-0 draws are realllllllly common. That game mode just sucks

Checkout Mystery Heroes if you just want some arcade wins. It's actually pretty fun (until a team wipe brings them back as a real nasty comp).

phthalocyanine
May 19, 2013

DrSeRRoD posted:

Checkout Mystery Heroes if you just want some arcade wins. It's actually pretty fun (until a team wipe brings them back as a real nasty comp).

Mystery heroes is also a fun mode where you can go 1-9 for the night because of bad RNG and the fact that the mode strongly favors whoever wins the first team fight for the ult advantage

I still play mystery for my preferred arcade box experience because all brawls has some really stupid brawls that seem to come up way too often (I'm looking at you, high noon) and I don't like the other modes but Jesus Christ just removing ults from mystery would make it a more consistent experience. Also take the 2cp out of the rotation completely we suffered through hanamura enough in the winter mystery event

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

phthalocyanine posted:

Mystery heroes is also a fun mode where you can go 1-9 for the night because of bad RNG and the fact that the mode strongly favors whoever wins the first team fight for the ult advantage

I still play mystery for my preferred arcade box experience because all brawls has some really stupid brawls that seem to come up way too often (I'm looking at you, high noon) and I don't like the other modes but Jesus Christ just removing ults from mystery would make it a more consistent experience. Also take the 2cp out of the rotation completely we suffered through hanamura enough in the winter mystery event

I love High Noon, it's dumb as poo poo. I ignore All Brawls a lot because I feel like I get Super Shimada Bros about 60% of the time, and it is a terrible game mode with terrible characters on a terrible map.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Is something bugged with Zenyatta's ult? I swear I can be up a character's rear end in a top hat and things will still kill them even though I'm ulting. :wtf:

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

phthalocyanine posted:

Mystery Heroes is the best. It also goes a long way to balancing 2CP maps because it favours the attacking team a lot. Although sometimes you get marginally tilted by getting really terrible heroes over and over and nothing you're decent at.

You learn stuff too. Like how terrible Rein is without healing. How insane D.va's survivability really is even post-nerf.

Also I jumped into a team of squishies yesterday and ulted as Reaper and died for only a single kill because Ana shot me once and naded at her feet, simultaneously melting me and saving her team. Oh so that's why he doesn't get picked in comp.

phthalocyanine
May 19, 2013

High noon is fun the first couple times but getting it 1/3rd of the games in a three hour session kind of ruined it for me, especially for the games where it was apparent I was the worst mccree player on either team :(

Jeza posted:

Mystery Heroes is the best. It also goes a long way to balancing 2CP maps because it favours the attacking team a lot. Although sometimes you get marginally tilted by getting really terrible heroes over and over and nothing you're decent at.

You learn stuff too. Like how terrible Rein is without healing. How insane D.va's survivability really is even post-nerf.

Also I jumped into a team of squishies yesterday and ulted as Reaper and died for only a single kill because Ana shot me once and naded at her feet, simultaneously melting me and saving her team. Oh so that's why he doesn't get picked in comp.

Yeah I loved all these things about it and played it a ton when it first made its way into a regular game mode for all these reasons. It's how I learned I was decent with pre-buff symmetra, and how I learned through suffering that I could actually accomplish things as tracer and hanzo and that sombra is actually capable of killing people if played carefully. but now I think I've run up against enough absolutely stompy teams (3 roadhogs and 2 mercies on hanamura defense! Triple zarya with ana!) that the mode just isn't as fun as it used to be and I mostly just use it for event boxes

phthalocyanine fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Feb 2, 2017

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Macaluso posted:

Is something bugged with Zenyatta's ult? I swear I can be up a character's rear end in a top hat and things will still kill them even though I'm ulting. :wtf:

I seen that happened before, usually when it something that does even more damage then his ult, like a nano boost 76 using his ult, which killed the people the enemy team Zenyetta was protecting. Or they got hit by a nanogrenade so the ult won't work on them and they just die from whatever.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

Macaluso posted:

Anything doing more burst damage than their Hp will die, and so will anyone hit by the anti-heal grenade so maybe it's that?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
It does seem to protect from junkrat's tire, high noon, and dva's bomb, but even then they need to be near the center or it will still get them.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Macaluso posted:

Ana's grenade negates your healing boost for friendlies.
It also does not protect against instant burst damage like DVA's ult, Riptire or Tracerbomb.
Only you are invulnerable.

Edit: Refresh first, then reply.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Rirse posted:

It does seem to protect from junkrat's tire, high noon, and dva's bomb, but even then they need to be near the center or it will still get them.

Is this true? I haven't played enough Zen to know. I thought full health damage will kill them still? Because why would it damage them incrementally so it can be healed? Should we be running into the centre of Zen's ult for legit invulnerability?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Star posted:

Anything doing more burst damage than their Hp will die, and so will anyone hit by the anti-heal grenade so maybe it's that?

I guess they needed to give Zen a crappy ult for how good discord is

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?
AOE healing like 76, Lucio and Zen ult also get blocked by barriers and telephone poles. Zen is invincible and can bodyblock some AOE ultimates that would outdamage his 300hps, but the aura does nothing against burst. Also, nanoboosted 76 does exactly that much damage so someone who takes any amount of deadly fire simultaneously will still die, especially with low max health heroes and/or ones that were damaged before entering the healing field. Point blank Justice will kill the entire team through transcendence, I've done it before and it feels really good. For the Pharah.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I find that just moving all around while ulting as Zen really distracts the other team and makes it tougher for them to focus on shooting the characters who are actually damageable. Its the rays of light that come off him, combined with the way you can just get right up in people's faces and taunt them without fear that seems to be very distracting.

phthalocyanine
May 19, 2013

Macaluso posted:

Zens ult can be very strong and good in the right circumstances (half those circumstances being the enemy team lacking a decent ana)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Dire Human posted:

Lucio isn't being slam picked because his healing has a low skill floor and needs to be a skillshot, he's being slam picked because his speed aura is a unique and extremely useful buff, and making it be low-level permanent will only further centralize him

I'll stick with the farts thanks

Remove the cooldown on the pulse so I can fart people away all day.

e: I farted a McCree using HIGH NOOOOON off a cliff and felt really good about it

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Feb 2, 2017

Kwilty
May 31, 2011

Macaluso posted:

Zenyatta's Ult is technically a 300 heal per second boost for allies inside the circle, and an invulnerable for himself. However, since Zenyatta is target-able while invulnerable, he can actually 'block' projectiles like a wall for his allies as well. This is why sometimes you swear no one died to a D.Va ult one time and not the next, because you physically were between it and a teammate with your body.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

I feel like I've been pretty good lately in mystery heroes playing Hanjo. So the next logical step would be go to QP and slam pick him. It just feels so weird, am I really going to be THAT GUY? :iamafag:

Bolivar fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Feb 2, 2017

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I also punched a Genji using his ultimate to death with Mercy, and punched out an enemy Mercy while still being Mercy.

There should be a character devoted to knocking people around and punching them it'd be the best. Have the ult be an aoe physics explosion that ragdolls everyone.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

SectumSempra posted:

While this game is occasionally fun, the fact that you do best when you happen to bump into 6 people who cooperate somewhat or always have at least 4 people willing to work vs 6, it's kinda boring, and frustrating when it's not optimal, which will be most of the time unless everyone you play with is always on together and actually can hold their role down well.

And I'm not even talking competitive.

it was totally fun for the first few months because of charm but everything semi annoying rears it's head pretty quickly.

it's a good game, it's just not something you can necessarily just turn on and have fun.

That's a Blizzard game for you.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

I said come in! posted:

I think Team Fortress 2 was the last time I played a CTF game mode. I remember that was the mode of choice for first person shooters. Games like Quake 1 - 3, Unreal Tournament, were all about playing CTF.

I'll agree that UT was the best CTF has been, but even at it's peak I found CTF awkward compared to just shooting guys. Quake and UT were great at classic deathmatch.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Feb 2, 2017

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Macaluso posted:

Zen's ult is good though

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Bolivar posted:

I feel like I've been pretty good lately in mystery heroes playing Hanjo. So the next logical step would be go to QP and slam pick him. It just feels so weird, am I really going to be THAT GUY? :iamafag:

Yeah, I had a strangely good time as Hanzo last night in Mystery Heroes. I was up on a perch, and a D.Va decides to charge me (without shields, for some reason...) and I headshot her and she instantly loses all forward momentum just feet from reaching me and falls to the ground as she demechs. I got a lot more actual kills than that, but that was just a great moment of unintentional comedy from my reticle standpoint. I even had a decent time as Widowmaker on King's Row bouncing between perch shots and dropping down to the point for pinch assists with her assault rifle and trap for a 8 or 9 killstreak, WTH. I suck with those characters, or so I tell myself.

Also I was getting completely fed up with not seeing a single event legendary drop after about 16 or so boxes when I had Palanquin drop as my first, so at least I have something satisfying to carry on from the event.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

I also punched a Genji using his ultimate to death with Mercy, and punched out an enemy Mercy while still being Mercy.

There should be a character devoted to knocking people around and punching them it'd be the best. Have the ult be an aoe physics explosion that ragdolls everyone.
Say hello to Terry Crews. Sorry, I mean Doomfist. This is the dream. Although melee only apparently sucks for everyone that isn't Rein? I guess we will see in the not too distant future.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Doomfist should have a reverse Roadhog hook that pulls him into the middle of a crowd. "Hey guys, it's me!!" and right then and there he starts doing the big punches on everyone.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
If doomfist doesnt at least do this

then I dont want doomfist

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Supercar Gautier posted:

Doomfist should have a reverse Roadhog hook that pulls him into the middle of a crowd. "Hey guys, it's me!!" and right then and there he starts doing the big punches on everyone.

I basically want zangief piledriver combos

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Snazzy Frocks posted:

If doomfist doesnt at least do this

then I dont want doomfist
And it drat well better knock people flying like an ulting Winston.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

DrSeRRoD posted:

Yeah that's what I've been doing. 3v3 is by far the fastest way to get arcade wins, but holy poo poo does it get boring fast. Mystery heroes is the best compromise between having a decent chance to win and actually being somewhat fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
3v3 is my ana practice zone before playing comp. i also play a game of 3s between comp losses to give the player pool time to shuffle a bit because i most likely do not want to play with any of the same people i just lost with.