Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

mariooncrack posted:

Does a HDMI mod for an Atari 2600 exist?

Well there's an RGBmod that essentially bypasses the graphics chip: http://etim.net.au/2600rgb/

And you could use the output from that to drive an RGB-HDMI convertor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

GutBomb posted:

I remember it. There was an e-coli outbreak that killed a few people in the Pacific Northwest because of bad meat handling at the meat processing plant that the jack in the box restaurants in that region used. They closed restaurants in many cities because of the fallout and then in the late 90s changed their image and bounced back somewhat

It was so bad that a 2 year old girl (Celina Shribbs) died because she touched a kid that had eaten one of their burgers.

Speaking of gaming controversies, I just noticed Solaris Japan charged me in full for the Framemesiter I ordered a month ago that was supposed to start shipping in January. I thought they don't charge until shipment is made?

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Rirse posted:

How are the OSSC these days? Or it better to get a Framemeister even after it got updated?

don't you use a CRT what do you need that stuff for.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Rirse posted:

How are the OSSC these days? Or it better to get a Framemeister even after it got updated?

As was stated before, OSSC won't help if you have a poo poo scaler, but it does an excellent job with line doubling and scanlines with basically no lag. The picture looks great for all my systems. Line tripling depends on your display and whether it'll support weird modes (a TV probably won't). Some lovely TVs don't like the OSSC at all. I've had good luck with my Panasonic.

Another important thing to note is it only passes through analog audio unless you add a board, and I don't think they come pre-made yet.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

GutBomb posted:

Wait, what?

People dealing drugs out of drive-thru windows is real common these days.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

d0s posted:

don't you use a CRT what do you need that stuff for.

Absolutely. I just thinking of the future if the CRT ever gives out.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Rirse posted:

Absolutely. I just thinking of the future if the CRT ever gives out.

Hit up craigslist or a thrift store for another one, or by the time CRTs are truly impossible to find there will be better scalers

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

d0s posted:

Hit up craigslist or a thrift store for another one, or by the time CRTs are truly impossible to find there will be better scalers

Good point. I just got a little worried when I heard about framemeister are going to get discontinued.

That said, I managed to win a PVM auction for a 1340 for a hundred shipped. Is that a good deal on one?

Rirse fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Feb 2, 2017

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Rirse posted:

That said, I managed to win a PVM auction for a 1340 for a hundred shipped. Is that a good deal on one?

I wouldn't pay that for a very old 13" PVM but I guess if it's worth it to you? You seem to make a lot of impulse purchases & I think you should really wait to find good things and fully learn about the things you're getting instead of just buying whatever, I've seen you buyer's remorseing a bunch of times in here

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

al-azad posted:

But the one thing that sickened me when I learned about it was Nintendo's presence during the 90s hearings on violence in games. Sega was defending video games as a legitimate art form and saying it's up to the parents to vet content for their children then Howard Phillips strolls out and completely throws Sega under the bus while advertising their own products.
That man is like the Newt Gingrich of vidja games.

Like you have an image of the dude being chill. Maybe you're playing Super Mario Land 2 on your GameBoy and he walks by and is all like "Oh hey, stop in this spot and all the Boss' attacks will go right by you!" on his way to gently caress a few Japanese interns, sabotage Sony via industrial espionage, snort coke off of a Game N Watch and answer some fan mail.

Just goes to show you that guys in BowTies are dicks.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Any good retro video game controversies? I can't think of anything major. One that springs to mind was a dad going to the press and complaining that Monsters, Inc. on the Game Boy Advance had obscene language in it. It turned out he bought a bootleg and the bad language was in the hacking group's intro that they didn't bother to chop out of the ROM.

On a similar note, Nintendo once sent out press copies of the Animal Crossing DS game with pre-made save files that had the player-character's nickname set to "nigga" - it obviously never made it to retail but even so, jeez.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

d0s posted:

I wouldn't pay that for a very old 13" PVM but I guess if it's worth it to you? You seem to make a lot of impulse purchases & I think you should really wait to find good things and fully learn about the things you're getting instead of just buying whatever, I've seen you buyer's remorseing a bunch of times in here

Oh it a old unit...well I put a cancel request then. Since it just literally ended in the middle of the night, I don't think he shipped it yet. Wish there was more information on the various different types of PVM instead of just the small paragraph you have in the OP.

Still like to get a PVM someday, but probably going to wait for a better one then. How you find out the age of the unit anyway?

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
You seem unwilling to do any research on things.

krursk
Sep 11, 2001

Your anguish sustains me.

Rirse posted:

Good point. I just got a little worried when I heard about framemeister are going to get discontinued.

I got my 20 inch pvm for 400 bux but that was before everyone figured out how good they are for retro games. For anyone else thinking about chasing one down I would avoid auction sites (use only as a last resort or if you don't care about big markups). Do some detective work and find out who still services CRTs near you and go asking to buy from there. You'll eventually(hopefully) find someone with something good to sell. You could also chase up your local hospital maintenance/workshop, there will often be PVM/BVM class monitors taking up space in the dungeons that they are willing to sell(provided they haven't been cleaned out by the second hand dealers but they generally avoid monitors due to the size). If you are cool they may even let you have one free provided the co-ordinators are happy to have more longterm storage.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Caitlin posted:

You seem unwilling to do any research on things.

I tried to google that model, but I just get ebay listing or other sites that resell PVM. I admit that I mess up because I saw on ebay this one ending in a hour and got all excited since there was only one bid.

Did get my money back, so at least there that. But I need to research more next time I do something so stupid.

Rirse fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Feb 2, 2017

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

PVMs have a manufacture date printed on the rear label. Try to find something made after 1998 or ideally after 2000. If you want a 14" model look for a PVM-14M2U or 14M4U (replace 14 with 20 for 20"). The difference between 2U or 4U is the TVL count. 2U is 600 lines, 4U is 800 lines. Higher TVL count = thicker scanlines but also more expensive. You will probably be happy with a 2U. You can also look for a medical model, which would end in "MDU" as in "20M2MDU". Only real difference for our purposes is the color, medical models come in a white case.

EDIT:

Rirse posted:

Wish there was more information on the various different types of PVM instead of just the small paragraph you have in the OP.

This is the thread about retro games, not the thread about buying a display. There is a shitload of resources online about this stuff.

EDIT2: Avoid "N" series PVMs as in "PVM-14N6U", they're lovely

d0s fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Feb 2, 2017

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

d0s posted:

PVMs have a manufacture date printed on the rear label. Try to find something made after 1998 or ideally after 2000. If you want a 14" model look for a PVM-14M2U or 14M4U (replace 14 with 20 for 20"). The difference between 2U or 4U is the TVL count. 2U is 600 lines, 4U is 800 lines. Higher TVL count = thicker scanlines but also more expensive. You will probably be happy with a 2U. You can also look for a medical model, which would end in "MDU" as in "20M2MDU". Only real difference for our purposes is the color, medical models come in a white case.

That some good tips, I never knew that. Still a lot I don't know about these things. Eh, maybe I just stick with my big crt until I can find a good model for a decent price.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Rirse posted:

That some good tips, I never knew that. Still a lot I don't know about these things. Eh, maybe I just stick with my big crt until I can find a good model for a decent price.

That's a good idea. I've been using the same 27" Wega since 1999 before getting a good PVM a few weeks ago. It's absolutely not a necessity, enjoy what you have and upgrade when a really good deal on a good item comes along.

krursk
Sep 11, 2001

Your anguish sustains me.

d0s posted:

That's a good idea. I've been using the same 27" Wega since 1999 before getting a good PVM a few weeks ago. It's absolutely not a necessity, enjoy what you have and upgrade when a really good deal on a good item comes along.

Heresy!
Once you notice that consumer CRT colour divergence your eyes will puke. Wonky geometry and overscan I can live with but those r's, g's and b's have got to line up otherwise you may as well just burn the lot and take up birdwatching!

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

krursk posted:

Heresy!
Once you notice that consumer CRT colour divergence your eyes will puke. Wonky geometry and overscan I can live with but those r's, g's and b's have got to line up otherwise you may as well just burn the lot and take up birdwatching!

this may be a shocker but the games are still fun when played on the screens they were designed to be played on! a really good display is cool to have but making it seem essential drags this hobby towards audiophilery. the higher end consumer trinitrons with component are like 8/10ths of the way to a PVM anyway, the color issues you describe are characteristic of lower end shadow mask sets, not aperture grilles

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Why watch real birds when you could play Kolibri? :v:

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Oh boy another emulation station :rolleyes: : http://retroblox.com/

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Huh, the CTO is one of the tech dudes from BluePoint. I guess the CD drive is kinda..new as far as these things go. Screenshots and streaming is kinda nice too I guess.

Still couldn't see myself ever getting one, if it ever comes out.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Oh boy a western made Retrofreak that is absolutely 100% less interesting.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
I just noticed one of the screen mockups was cribbed in design from the Amazon Fire TV's Twitch app. :lol:

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Feb 2, 2017

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

I finally found the time to play the unfucked Popful Mail, and wow this game's way better when I don't die in two hits from any random trash enemy. The guy's also worked his way to the two Exile games on TG16, and the SCD version of Vay.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I just noticed one of the screen mockups was cribbed in design from the Amazon Fire TV's Twitch app. :lol:

To me that looks like bog standard, absolutely generic mid-2010's interface design.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Well there's a little bit of purple, a sidebar, and tiles in the main area, but that's what a ton of modern video apps on set top boxes / streaming sticks look like. It doesn't stand out as a complete rip off to me. It looks pretty similar to a few kodi skins and the Xbox one ui too. Even looks a little like the Netflix app with a sidebar. It's just the modern design trend for apps designed to be presented on a tv.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

On a similar note, Nintendo once sent out press copies of the Animal Crossing DS game with pre-made save files that had the player-character's nickname set to "nigga" - it obviously never made it to retail but even so, jeez.

Lmfao

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Elliotw2 posted:

I finally found the time to play the unfucked Popful Mail, and wow this game's way better when I don't die in two hits from any random trash enemy. The guy's also worked his way to the two Exile games on TG16, and the SCD version of Vay.

Link please. Is it a patched iso or something?

If I had a time machine first I would tell Westwood not to cave to EA then I would tell Vic Ireland that he's doing good things but maybe stop his meddling at bug fixes.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Cellular modular interactiveodular
ring ring ring ring ring ring ring retroblo

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

al-azad posted:

Link please. Is it a patched iso or something?

If I had a time machine first I would tell Westwood not to cave to EA then I would tell Vic Ireland that he's doing good things but maybe stop his meddling at bug fixes.

They're all xdelta patches, and include nice little bat files to convert and patch your bin/cue or iso/wave so you can just drop and burn.

http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,23436.0.html

URL grey tea
Jun 1, 2004

IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!
I couldn't find a Popful Mail iso (only .bin and .cue) and after converting it never matched the MD5 they insisted you need for the patch to work. I gave up after an hour :(

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

al-azad posted:

Cellular modular interactiveodular
ring ring ring ring ring ring ring retroblo

It's kind of cool that it has a disc drive, but the aesthetic looks like a rip off of the Switch and it's putting me off. Also it's an emulation box and that's putting me off too.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

URL grey tea posted:

I couldn't find a Popful Mail iso (only .bin and .cue) and after converting it never matched the MD5 they insisted you need for the patch to work. I gave up after an hour :(

I had the same issue but downloaded the updated patch, used the bin patcher bat file and it worked with my non-matching ISO just fine.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Elliotw2 posted:

I'm having a problem where my patched Popful Mail has the first second or two of its audio tracks cut off. Did you run into that? I used the auto patching method.

Edit: I am using the v2 patcher linked in the OP

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

It shouldn't be messing with your audio files, so maybe try another ISO. Mine was a bin/cue with md5 of 6DEAC8109C97DF7AA97F331A38CE24F7 is playing fine on both Kega and my actual CDX.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Elliotw2 posted:

It shouldn't be messing with your audio files, so maybe try another ISO. Mine was a bin/cue with md5 of 6DEAC8109C97DF7AA97F331A38CE24F7 is playing fine on both Kega and my actual CDX.

I'm assuming the bin file is what you did the md5 on?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Yeah, the CUE should look something more like

code:
FILE "PopfulMailUnWorked_01.iso" BINARY
  TRACK 01 MODE1/2048
    INDEX 01 00:00:00
FILE "PopfulMailUnWorked_02.wav" WAVE
  TRACK 02 AUDIO
    INDEX 00 00:00:00
    INDEX 01 00:02:00
FILE "PopfulMailUnWorked_03.wav" WAVE
  TRACK 03 AUDIO
FILE "PopfulMailUnWorked_04.wav" WAVE
  TRACK 04 AUDIO
or maybe

code:
FILE "popfulmail.bin" BINARY
    TRACK 01 MODE1/2352
      INDEX 01 00:00:00
    TRACK 02 AUDIO
      INDEX 00 39:47:27
      INDEX 01 39:49:27
    TRACK 03 AUDIO
      INDEX 00 42:09:57
      INDEX 01 42:11:57
    TRACK 04 AUDIO
      INDEX 00 44:35:29
      INDEX 01 44:37:29

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Elliotw2 posted:

Good. Exile 2 is the only Working Designs localization that really verges on impossibly hard. The others are toughened up, but Exile 2 ended up much more difficult than even WD intended it to be.

al-azad posted:

Usually what happens is some majority shareholder or board of directors is affiliated with a rotten group which blows up in the news as "this group is owned by so-and-so" which is exaggerated.

I wish there were some juicy controversies aside from hot coffee nonsense and finding weed in boxes. But the one thing that sickened me when I learned about it was Nintendo's presence during the 90s hearings on violence in games. Sega was defending video games as a legitimate art form and saying it's up to the parents to vet content for their children then Howard Phillips strolls out and completely throws Sega under the bus while advertising their own products.

You mean Howard Lincoln, right? Howard Phillips no longer worked for Nintendo by that point.

They could've had Nester at the hearing, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Kid Fenris posted:

Good. Exile 2 is the only Working Designs localization that really verges on impossibly hard. The others are toughened up, but Exile 2 ended up much more difficult than even WD intended it to be.

Aren't Exile 2 and Vay like literally impossible in the Working Designs versions because they just cranked up stats and didn't bother to verify if the game worked at all like that?

• Locked thread