Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

my dad posted:

Specifically, a meme that's taken a life of its own and greatly outlived the circumstances that created it.

Final question: Who brought down Milošević?
Tupac.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

my dad posted:

Specifically, a meme that's taken a life of its own and greatly outlived the circumstances that created it.

Final question: Who brought down Milošević?

Real answer: The Serbians themselves ("Ironically, Milošević lost his grip on power by losing in elections which he scheduled prematurely (before the end of his mandate) and which he did not even need to win in order to retain power which was centered in the parliaments which his party and its associates controlled." which is still one of the funnier ways for an autocrat to shoot himself in the foot)

True but misleading answer: myocardial infarction, or Rifampicin if you're a Milosevic supporter

Wrong answer: America bringing Freedom™

Really wrong answer: The Reptiloid NWO

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

System Metternich posted:

Real answer: The Serbians themselves ("Ironically, Milošević lost his grip on power by losing in elections which he scheduled prematurely (before the end of his mandate) and which he did not even need to win in order to retain power which was centered in the parliaments which his party and its associates controlled." which is still one of the funnier ways for an autocrat to shoot himself in the foot)

TBH he was really panicking at the time since Kosovo went so bad for him and the internal dissent was growing, to say nothing of the ICTY charges and sanctions. I think he wouldn't have lasted much longer even had he not called the election.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Serbs can easily get puffed up and defensive about literally anything, including the very idea that they can get puffed up and defensive about things.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Serbs can easily get puffed up and defensive about literally anything, including the very idea that they can get puffed up and defensive about things.

Much unlike ???

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Blut posted:

From a page back but I'm very surprised at Spain and Greece's figures being so low, given their youth unemployment figures are sky high. Being part of the EU is generally something unemployed youth in other countries tend to take advantage of to allow them to move to greener pastures.

Plus Spain has the whole South American continent sharing a language with them. Lots of young Portuguese people move to Brazil, I'm surprised the Spaniards don't also move to the colonies.

Many spanish don't want to learn english, we have too few english teachers, and our english teachers are bad. Everything in spain is dubbed, people have few reasons to learn a second language. They have to learn the basics of a second language trough the base education, but they don't progress it to a useful state.

When you travel to other country, if you don't speak their language or english, you are sort of "marooned" in a island. So for many people, the spanish peninsula is somewhat like a subcontinent, the entire space they are willing to explore / inhabit.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

Tei posted:

Many spanish don't want to learn english, we have too few english teachers, and our english teachers are bad. Everything in spain is dubbed, people have few reasons to learn a second language. They have to learn the basics of a second language trough the base education, but they don't progress it to a useful state.

When you travel to other country, if you don't speak their language or english, you are sort of "marooned" in a island. So for many people, the spanish peninsula is somewhat like a subcontinent, the entire space they are willing to explore / inhabit.

Yeah, I remember that one map that showed the proportion of the population that spoke English as a second language in Europe, and the contrast was so stark it was basically "dubs vs. subs" the map.

Oh, here it is, it's not quite what I remembered it to be but this is the one I was thinking of:

Anecdotally I think Finns are just as good at English as the Swedes, so it's probably our national modesty that keeps us at 70%.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ratpick posted:

Yeah, I remember that one map that showed the proportion of the population that spoke English as a second language in Europe, and the contrast was so stark it was basically "dubs vs. subs" the map.

Oh, here it is, it's not quite what I remembered it to be but this is the one I was thinking of:

Anecdotally I think Finns are just as good at English as the Swedes, so it's probably our national modesty that keeps us at 70%.

But most people who live in Finland aren't Finns. There's the Ostrobothnians, Savonians, Tavastians, etc. who can't hold a conversation in Finnish let alone English :smugmrgw:

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Ratpick posted:

Why should Hungarians even learn English, their language is perfectly understandable to most Europeans?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Ratpick posted:

I am... skeptical of that 34% for Belarus.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Ratpick posted:

I'd be interested in seeing this map with different regions as well. Do Catalans speak better English than the rest of Spain? What about Flanders or Lazio? I imagine there is a lot of internal variance as well in touristic areas.

OddObserver posted:

I am... skeptical of that 34% for Belarus.

You mean Poland, right?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Deltasquid posted:

You mean Poland, right?

Oh, indeed. Well, that was embarrassing.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

Hey thanks, I learned something from the maps thread.

Fiji, yikes. :stonklol:

Fiji has had four coups d’état in the last thirty years.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Platystemon posted:

Fiji has had four coups d’état in the last thirty years.

It's just fair that every citizen should get a shot at running the country.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

OddObserver posted:

Oh, indeed. Well, that was embarrassing.

... I mean it used to be polish, once upon a time.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

Ratpick posted:

Amongst Eastern Europeans I'd also say those figures appear quite low mostly due to the population born before 1980 who had to learn Russian. My experience of having been in most of those countries is most people under 30 have a good grasp of English because a) its now taught in schools b) they now get loads of tourists to use it with c) a significant number of people migrate to the UK/Ireland to work and d) they get way more English language media than in previous decades. Its not quite Scandinavian levels of English, but not far off German proficiency. Certainly far better than in the South.

Which makes the Spanish figure even worse I guess.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Deltasquid posted:

I'd be interested in seeing this map with different regions as well. Do Catalans speak better English than the rest of Spain? What about Flanders or Lazio?

As is often the case, the result for Belgium is not particularly informative since English proficiency will vary wildly based on where you are in the country.

Once again, dubbing is the main culprit, though at least the French dubs sound less ridiculous than the Polish ones where it's just a single dude talking over all the lines that are still audible in the background.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Apparently leaving Ireland is one of Ireland's most cherished traditions.

Ireland in 2017 *still* has a lower population then it did in 1840.

The percentage is also probably skewed up by Ireland having automatic jus soli citizenship until 2005 (like the US) and granting jus soli citizenship to children of permanent residents after 2005.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

From a few pages back, but I shared this on Facebook, a few of my journalist friends picked it up and ran with it, and now there's a debate raging in Croatia about how many of the emigrants are actually Serbs that were exiled during the war. It's a proper shitstorm right now, and we can thank these forums.

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008
The fact that that map is self-reported means it's not necessarily reflective of the people's actual language proficiency, just their perception of their own language proficiency. Many people can over- or underestimate their abilities, or exaggerate or downplay them, when asked by a stranger to subjectively evaluate themselves.

edit: referring to the English in Europe map.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

This doesn't seem right for Brazil? In here every movie comes with a dub option in the theaters.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

It's original research so possibly.

Anecdotally it at least seems to split Europe fairly accurately into Subtitles/Dubbing/Those weird Russian voiceovers

e: It's basically a dude speaking in a dispassionate monotonic voice over the sound of the film. Seriously it's weird.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Feb 2, 2017

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Private Speech posted:

Anecdotally it at least seems to split Europe fairly accurately into Subtitles/Dubbing/Those weird Russian voiceovers

e: It's basically a dude speaking in a dispassionate monotonic voice over the sound of the film. Seriously it's weird.
I'm picturing something like this.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Ratpick posted:

I'm pretty surprised at the difference between Belgium and the Netherlands.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Sounds like people everywhere.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Private Speech posted:

It got a lot better after the 90s. I love how the Kung Fury Russian dub is done in this style though, by one of the most popular monotonic voice dubbers no less.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

When I were a lad, if you wanted to know what the gently caress was going on with the Smurfs you had to learn how to loving read.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Elyv posted:

I'm pretty surprised at the difference between Belgium and the Netherlands.

Why? Around a half of Belgium is full of French.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Of course! It's all so simple.

tehchekt
May 7, 2007
something cool and profound
https://www.flickr.com/photos/ciagov/albums

tehchekt fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Feb 3, 2017

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Good thing this was classified. We wouldn't want the wrong people to know topography

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
There is no way a greater proportion of Austrians are able to hold an English conversation than Germans.

It worked out really well for me because in Austria I could practice my German a lot better since people just straight up didn't speak English, whereas in Germany everyone did, so as soon as they realized my German was poo poo they'd switch to English automatically.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

HookShot posted:

There is no way a greater proportion of Austrians are able to hold an English conversation than Germans.

It worked out really well for me because in Austria I could practice my German a lot better since people just straight up didn't speak English, whereas in Germany everyone did, so as soon as they realized my German was poo poo they'd switch to English automatically.

English proficiency in East Germany is much worse than in the West, if you take that into account it might be accurate.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

HookShot posted:

This post works better when you misread Austria as Australia like I did initially

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Bloodnose posted:

Good thing this was classified. We wouldn't want the wrong people to know topography

Overclassification is a known problem and the natural result when the consequences for not classifying something you should are way, way worse than the reverse. For that to change we'd need a seismic shift in the way the populace and government interact and in the position of the executive.

Can't imagine what might cause that.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Bloodnose posted:

Highly accurate maps were totally a thing that needed to be classified back in the day, there were obvious military/spy advantages for having very accurate maps for yourself in a time when every random person couldn't just start up google maps.

It was for the same reason that the Soviet Union would purposefully publish misleading or outright false maps of various areas for public consumption, while keeping full detail accurate maps for the military.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

Honj Steak posted:

English proficiency in East Germany is much worse than in the West, if you take that into account it might be accurate.

Was in Saxony on vacation recently, boy was I reminded of that my German needs a brushing up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe

fishmech posted:

It was for the same reason that the Soviet Union would purposefully publish misleading or outright false maps of various areas for public consumption

Please post some of these