Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

The Raptors and Celtics can beat LeBron they just haven't done it in 5 years so it seems impossible. Better teams can lose, even in 7 game series.

Lest we forget that Dwight Howard and four average to good role players made the NBA finals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
*pushes up glasses*
He's not a good 3 pt shooter therefore worthless

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
Tyson Chandler is always a risky pickup. I mean, look at those drat twigs for legs.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Metapod posted:

*pushes up glasses*

best GM in the nba Daryl Morey hire this man

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Having 1 guy on a roster who can't shoot 3s is completely fine when 7/8 of the other rotation players can.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Niwrad posted:

I think the most ridiculous thing about Space Jam is that MJ lives in some boring 3-bedroom house in the middle of the suburbs.

Agreed wholeheartedly

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Constellation I posted:

Tyson Chandler is always a risky pickup. I mean, look at those drat twigs for legs.

The darkest timeline is the one where Chandler doesn't fail his medical with OKC and Westbrook/Harden/Durant/Ibaka/Chandler become a dynasty.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

A dyntasy of getting dumped on by LeBron

houstonguy
Jun 2, 2005

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Buford? I think you mean coach/GM Popovich. Myers got lucky the Bogut deal worked out and that neither he or Steph's legs exploded. One injury and his legacy would be much different. People thought he was a dogshit GM at the time, making risky plays to save his job.

Thinking about what you said, maybe the issue I have with Masai is that he could be considered a tad too risk-averse. Giving up a productive player in Monta for Bogut was definitely risky at the time, but at the end of the day, it got them a championship. Just seems a little disingenuous to hand-wave that away as luck, especially since even if it did go sour, all they really lost of value was a few years of Monta Ellis. The other top GMs have made similar moves, Morey traded away Lowry and the pick it got them helped land Harden, and the Spurs traded away George Hill and ended up with their next franchise player in Kawhi. It just seems like you have to make a gamble to take your team to the next level, and I don't think Masai has done that on either the Nuggets or Raptors.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

DeRozan is also an incredibly aesthetically appealing basketball player. He dunks, creates his own shot, and can score off the dribble.

That makes him much cooler to have on your team than like Ryan Anderson or other guys that may be equally "worthy" of their money by standing in the corner

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

dokmo posted:

I am an old man and literally have no idea what is happening in that Mavs video, but the fact that you people like it goes a long way to explaining why you guys unironically think Space Jam is good.

It's based on dragon ball z ,a cartoon that was on after kids got home from school, based on people leveling up in martial arts/fighting magic skills in a linear sort of rpg fashion, the good guywas from an evil race of ape men with tails, but was raised by a kindly human professor rather than his own kind, and so was a good guy. the more powerful his race got, the less asian and the more white and blonde spiky haired they became. There were also aliens and human wrestlers, it's a big meandering stupid mess of a show but millions of kids grew up with it, so it hits the nostalgia button. Pretty good production value for a silly team promo

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Ryno has some nice post-moves and frequently created his own shot as the focal point of the second unit when he was with the Pels. It was pretty effective, tbh.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

On the other hand, Demar Derozan is ugly af.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Sheriff posted:

Thinking about what you said, maybe the issue I have with Masai is that he could be considered a tad too risk-averse. Giving up a productive player in Monta for Bogut was definitely risky at the time, but at the end of the day, it got them a championship. Just seems a little disingenuous to hand-wave that away as luck, especially since even if it did go sour, all they really lost of value was a few years of Monta Ellis. The other top GMs have made similar moves, Morey traded away Lowry and the pick it got them helped land Harden, and the Spurs traded away George Hill and ended up with their next franchise player in Kawhi. It just seems like you have to make a gamble to take your team to the next level, and I don't think Masai has done that on either the Nuggets or Raptors.

Seeing investments grow with steady progress through low risk moves ought to be the first thing organizations look for in a GM. 'Next level' is a matter of luck. Should we criticize GMs for not risking years of dogshit basketball to find a Lebron? Toronto's cup is overflowing with assets and prospects for a team of its success. Demar for instance didn't come out of nowhere. People here even thought his 9 mil/year post-rookie contract was an awful deal, they poo poo on him and Kemba constantly. It takes years and years of painstaking development, and lots of chucking, to get him where he is right now. I think the risk adverse approach breeds a culture where NBA players can develop out of these prospects. The luck Toronto needs to find in order to get to the next level ought to be sought after in the long term, small-step improvements of its players.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Dejan Bimble posted:

Pretty good production value for a silly team promo
i imagine it helps that the company that holds the rights to the series is also located around dallas

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

straight up brolic posted:

DeRozan is also an incredibly aesthetically appealing basketball player. He dunks, creates his own shot, and can score off the dribble.

That makes him much cooler to have on your team than like Ryan Anderson or other guys that may be equally "worthy" of their money by standing in the corner

It's pretty crazy that we live in a world where Ryan Anderson is worth $20m a year.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

dokmo posted:

I am an old man and literally have no idea what is happening in that Mavs video, but the fact that you people like it goes a long way to explaining why you guys unironically think Space Jam is good.

Well you see, Goku or, as he is known among his people, kakorot crash lands on earth and loses his memory. He is an alien sent to earth to destroy it but instead is adopted by his grandpa gohan and then...

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

It's pretty crazy that we live in a world where Ryan Anderson is worth $20m a year.

The Pels traded Gustavo Ayon to the Magic for him, IIRC.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
The bond between Lowry and DeRozan is priceless. Only robot GM Sam Hinke would even consider breaking that up

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

The darkest timeline is the one where Chandler doesn't fail his medical with OKC and Westbrook/Harden/Durant/Ibaka/Chandler become a dynasty.

HIS loving TOE

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Dokmo come to my house and we can watch all of DBZ together.

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

If your girlfriend says hey to me that's our girlfriend now idc

xbilkis posted:

The bond between Lowry and DeRozan is priceless. Only robot GM Sam Hinke would even consider breaking that up

https://twitter.com/JLew1050/status/826622354595966976

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Metapod posted:

*pushes up glasses*

No team is going to win a championship with a SG that can score but not shoot.

Except D-Wade
And Kobe
And Jordan

That's barely half of the teams what have won a championship in the last 25 years.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Kibner posted:

Ryno has some nice post-moves and frequently created his own shot as the focal point of the second unit when he was with the Pels. It was pretty effective, tbh.

http://streamable.com/mv1zm

slick help JV

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.

Dejan Bimble posted:

was raised by a kindly human professor

The gently caress??

Dragon Ball references in the NBA are some of my favorite things. Like when Rudy Gobert called that fat kid Majin Buu

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
I hate you all.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

dokmo posted:

I hate you all.

How does it feel to be known as the "dick chart guy" by your greatest enemies

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
There's new episodes of dbz gping on right now

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Dejan Bimble posted:

It's based on dragon ball z ,a cartoon that was on after kids got home from school, based on people leveling up in martial arts/fighting magic skills in a linear sort of rpg fashion, the good guywas from an evil race of ape men with tails, but was raised by a kindly human professor rather than his own kind, and so was a good guy. the more powerful his race got, the less asian and the more white and blonde spiky haired they became. There were also aliens and human wrestlers, it's a big meandering stupid mess of a show but millions of kids grew up with it, so it hits the nostalgia button. Pretty good production value for a silly team promo

I think I'm glad to be an old in this case.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

dokmo posted:

I hate you all.

DBZ the show is over twenty five years old, especially the title card and song they are using.

So unless you are in your 50s the age thing don't work.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

zelah posted:

The gently caress??

Dragon Ball references in the NBA are some of my favorite things. Like when Rudy Gobert called that fat kid Majin Buu

A guy who tweets about middle eastern stuff called the 5 guys on an atlantic council panel about fighting al qaeda (representing countries that had or were currently arming al qaeda) in syria, the Fucktard Ginyu Force. That was a dbz reference that got me.

My preferred syndicated after school shows were Ronin Warriors, Dinosaucers, and then classic warner brother cartoons, ren and stimpy, then simpsons and fresh prince of bel air

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Paul Zuvella posted:

On the other hand, Demar Derozan is ugly af.

I think he looks interesting.

Also:
https://twitter.com/Lakers/status/827223347469488129

"You need to get good players that can score and play defense and win games, imo"

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Kids don't watch tv cartoons anymore really . Like the whole Saturday morning cartoon thing is dead.

It's sad

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

zoux posted:

Also:

"You need to get good players that can score and play defense and win games, imo"

"Here is my list of the best prospects in the draft"
"Magic this list has 50 names on it"

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

zoux posted:

Also:

Get LeBron, get KD.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Tae posted:

There's new episodes of dbz gping on right now

Well it has a different name now so technically they're not new episodes of dbz

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The same way I knew all the gi Joe guys and all the he man dudes my son knows all the mine craft streamers .

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Is it mean that I think dokmo's favourite character would be Gohan?

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.

zoux posted:

Also:

Came here to post this and state for the record that I hope no one listens to him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

euphronius posted:

Kids don't watch tv cartoons anymore really . Like the whole Saturday morning cartoon thing is dead.

It's sad

Darkwing Duck was the best Saturday morning cartoon except also he was on Disney Afternoon, it was the bomb.

• Locked thread